Warcry - Skaven Discussion

Groomy

Played my first skaven game today. Definitely enjoyed the warband. With a good mix of little guys and heavy hitters all with good mobility they feel really versatile.

I do think they got stretched a bit thin trying to cram every clan together, resulting in a bit of redundancy and missed opportunities. Nightrunners feel like kind of an afterthough without any unique abilities and without gutter runners or some other more elite eschin model to lean into an eschin themed warband or playstyle.

I havent played with stormfiends, and i assume they are powerhouses, but i feel like their inclusion isnt particularly in theme with a small skirmish game, nor were they necessary to fill a role in the roster. What band of 6 or 7 skaven nobodies would have their own personal stormfiend in tow? I think the rat ogor was enough to be the beefy heavy hitter. they could have built out some other options (like eschin/gutter runners) if they hadnt had to have 6 stormfiend cards. Makes the inability to bring goregruntas in the ironjaws warband feel especially bad given they would have actually had a unique role with a tradeoff, bringing some very high priced mobility at the cost of more bodies in an already expensive roster.

I also dont like how the quad ability is restricted only to the plague monk leader. I dont feel like a warbands only quad should ever be tied to a specific leader model. I want to use a stormvermin leader, so i guess my warband just never has a quad ability. I think pestilens would have been better as being their own warband perhaps. With all the equipment options in the plague monk kit along with censor bearers and giant rats i think theyd have had plenty of options and then they could actually have thematic abilities instead of just being glass cannon versions of clanrats.

I do love how the stormvermin and leader combo works. The stormvermin bodyguard ability is cool and then comboing with the lead from the back leader ability to turn those bodyguards into meatgrinders with the extra attacks feels very good. A skaven leader who keeps his biggest goons around him for protection and marches up the field exhorting them to kill for him as he stays safely behind all while  weaker underlings scurry around skirmishing or grabbing objectives feels very skaveny and i think thematically that combo is the biggest success of these rules.

• Like 1

So! The Errata dropped today!

Clanrat Clawleader is officially 145 points (duh)

Rat Ogor with Warpfire gun is officially 30 wounds (duh)

Skaven can now officially take Skaven Mercenaries (among others!) so we can add a Clawlord or Gray Seer to our warbands if we want!

No other big changes for Skaven that I could see, most of this seems to be exactly what we expected.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, tchad78 said:

What would the Underworlds models count as for Warcry? They're amazing models and I don't own any other Skaven or even play Underworlds. Would love to find a way to get them on the table.

Spiteclaw can be either Clanrat or Stormvermin leader (145 or 170 points)
2 Night Runners (fist weapons) 75 pts each
2 Clanrats (spear guy and shield guy) 75 pts each

So you are looking at roughly half a starting warband with this box. Getting that one box with ogres, rats and packmaster will give you an amazing versatility, cool fluff and strong units. 

Edited by Groomy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Through the dark arts of necromancy, let this thread live again!

I’ve been eyeing the Plague Monk box at my LGS for a while now, and finally pulled the trigger. Spent an evening putting together a list based on three core requirements: converting other models from this box and whatever I have in my bits box, 13 models if at all possible, and 1000 points exactly if at all possible. To quote a buddy who was helping me bounce ideas, “this is like some weird OCD nightmare.”

Here’s what I ended up with:

Master Moulder (if the bonus attack or heal ever comes into play, I’ll have to mock my opponent mercilessly)

Bringer of the Word

3 Plague Monks with Woe-Staffs

4 Plague Censer Bearers 

4 Giant Rats (used the little robed fellas with knives, spirit animal material right there)

13 models, exactly 1000 points. Trying to get a game this week, but it’s looking like I’ll have to wait until the new year. 

Painted up with contrasts and metals, over the course of a single day. Going to go back, finish up the rims and do some highlighting after they’ve been on the table. 69DAA96E-76B1-400B-9A14-7572CC8E99AB.jpeg.c2e89c0e8073f9c7f8f5241764b3447a.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 2:20 PM, NinthMusketeer said:

For whatever reason there's no Warcry discussion going on TGA anymore :( dunno if it's Warcry that has gone down in popularity as a whole or if its localized.

Seems like the Red Harvest bump sortof wore off in most places, and maybe never even happened here at TGA. Still a lot of Warcry stuff on the discord and the reddit.

Edited by Lhurgoyf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our group has had it on the table for ages but Titanicus and AoS tned to be more popular. Still got a game in tonight wit h a pure Eshin warband and squeaked a win over some Kruelboyz. I went for loads of gutter runners, a couple of token nightrunners and a Deathmaster leader and the gutter runners speed and decent damage were key :)

• Like 1