The Painting Contract - February 2020

TheOtherJosh

On 2/1/2020 at 1:08 AM, Maxi99 said:

Another really busy month for me coming up, so not much time either.

I’ve sub-assembled Katakros and Zandtos, so my goal for the month is to get them full primed and finish off the bone components.

I’ve got a feeling I may get sidetracked with some endless spells though... Using exactly the same colour palette for 3 months has got a bit tiring!

Quite pleased with what I’ve managed to get done this month. 

All subassemblies of Katakros have been primed and all of the bone has had the first zenithal layers completed. I still need to highlight the bone, but instead of splitting my time between the two models I cracked on with Zandtos, so here he is! 

I also did end up doing a quick job on a bunch of endless spells. Nothing special but good enough to pop on the tabletop.

8E0DD603-8ABD-4331-BD07-5464525ABA78.jpeg

466C937F-8CCC-4645-A31F-134434E99AFA.jpeg

63AAF1F7-9F18-4491-B5C8-FA273C224835.jpeg

56D76141-2BDC-40F8-BB61-B2560C216BBE.jpeg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

Well I could only get 5 doggos done, but I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. I was trying out a new technique, so the first two  aren't as clean as the others, but I like the look all the same. The Gore Hound definitely turned out the best, I'm pretty pleased with how his base looks.

image.png.f651b3917d258e37092a483fd03d7ba2.pngimage.png.06bf3728812e23b03fa6ce96ec93c373.pngimage.png.9a6f5aaa53a87bd0035df01937bcf547.png 

• Like 8

On 1/31/2020 at 9:27 AM, Chikrit said:

This month I'm going to be more ambitious, so I have already started. I've got 10 Chainrasps and 4 Myrmourn banshees already built and primed. I will try to paint and base all that, and also base the work from last two months, meaning a corpse cart, 5 hexwraiths and another 10 Chainrasps. That means painting 14 models and "finishing" a total of 30. Crossing fingers! 🤞

I clearly underestimated the pain that are the details of the sculpted bases of the banshees (compared to "nothing" of the regular ones) so I've only completed one banshee, with the rest half done. But on the bright side, I changed how I do my bases (the sand part) and it's quicker with even better results, so I've based not only all chainrasps, the hexwraiths and the corpse cart, but also Arkham and 16 dryads I painted with my kid several months ago and lacked basing. So i've painted 11 minis and based a total of 43 (not counting the painted banshee). That's a win for me 😁

Now, the photos. Current state of the chainrasps blob. 20 done out of the projected first step of 40:

IMG-20200229-WA0005.jpg.5053adc6193c5c5e541437be38a1f8c6.jpg

IMG-20200229-WA0007.jpg.a095154ab7bd8792c822bb4a7daa3573.jpg

The painted banshee

IMG-20200229-WA0011.jpg.caca93a601861c74364c2ebb1e46a9dd.jpg

The based dryads

IMG-20200229-WA0008.jpg.f179df1c2e2c211df484532e89916053.jpg

And the detail on the bases of Arkhan and the corpse cart

IMG-20200229-WA0003.jpg.4f6305dc987c7778c3142764c2615ce5.jpg

so these are finished too

IMG-20200229-WA0002.jpg.7cf0be32cbf6cb34e57a18b662badf04.jpg

Let's go for another month!

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

So I failed miserably this month, figured I would be ambitious but some procrastination and hobby butterflying dented my plans somewhat. No photos yet but I completed 4 brutes and am most of the way through a 5th. I also built the Triumvirate of Ynnead and 5 Scourges for my Drukhari, a foot Megaboss and a Wurggog prophet assembled and undercoated. So still a pretty good month but will have to try harder for March... I may have also decided to start up a new army which I wasn't going to do but here we are...

Had a terrible month for painting. Not anywhere close to finishing my pledge.

Not only didn't I have a lot of time, but I also struggled big time with the Banshees. Already started when I tried to built them. It says Easy to Built, but apparently that applies not for me (or anyone else with two left hands I guess). Ended up with a lot of gaps and the first big mistake I made was not fill them before I primed them :( so I had to fill them afterwards, and than have to prime some parts with a brush again, which didn't worked out that good either.  Nor did I do a good job on filling the gaps, never was good with putty to be honest.

Next problem I faced was how to paint them. I really love the sculpt, but  I figured that the GW method with Night haunt Gloom  didn't really fit these models, and I am not that keen on the color scheme GW uses for them either. Eventually I thought that as from all night haunts the banshees comes closest to really ghostly "bedsheets" So I wanted to paint them mostly white with a ghostly touch. This was where the real problems started, because it turned out that painting white isn't that easy at all. I had put my hopes on the contrast paint apothecary white, but that really didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the way I handled the paint, I don't know, but result was a disaster. I tried to thin it with Contrast Medium, but somehow the paint seem to become thicker and sticky because of it (not much experience with it so far, is that normal?)

I decided to start over again and removed the paint. The first  time I primed it with Seer Grey and Wraith Bone, but I felt that wasn't white enough, so this time  I tried with a vallejo white primer, but although I always had good result with their black and grey, this one was quiet messy. Again I removed the paint. Wen removing the paint I accidentally broke some parts off. Most parts I was able to glue back again, but the jaw was lost (not a big deal). This time I had chosen an old Citadel white spray (Skull White) I still had in store somewhere. Bad choice again. Not sure if it was because of the paint of just bad skills, but it was way to thick. Crackled on some places, and all fine details were gone :(

I gave up on that one for the moment, and just finished another one last minute today. Probably the easiest and fastest paintjob I have done in years, but funny enough, much closer to the result I had in mind. Not prefect, and I missed a gap, others not filled properly, and on some places the paint is quiet thick. But definitely much better than the first attempts. Hope to do better next month.

Banshee.jpg.751d5bd70d45eaea03411f77b8afe710.jpg

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lowki said:

Had a terrible month for painting. Not anywhere close to finishing my pledge.

Not only didn't I have a lot of time, but I also struggled big time with the Banshees. Already started when I tried to built them. It says Easy to Built, but apparently that applies not for me (or anyone else with two left hands I guess). Ended up with a lot of gaps and the first big mistake I made was not fill them before I primed them :( so I had to fill them afterwards, and than have to prime some parts with a brush again, which didn't worked out that good either.  Nor did I do a good job on filling the gaps, never was good with putty to be honest.

Next problem I faced was how to paint them. I really love the sculpt, but  I figured that the GW method with Night haunt Gloom  didn't really fit these models, and I am not that keen on the color scheme GW uses for them either. Eventually I thought that as from all night haunts the banshees comes closest to really ghostly "bedsheets" So I wanted to paint them mostly white with a ghostly touch. This was where the real problems started, because it turned out that painting white isn't that easy at all. I had put my hopes on the contrast paint apothecary white, but that really didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the way I handled the paint, I don't know, but result was a disaster. I tried to thin it with Contrast Medium, but somehow the paint seem to become thicker and sticky because of it (not much experience with it so far, is that normal?)

I decided to start over again and removed the paint. The first  time I primed it with Seer Grey and Wraith Bone, but I felt that wasn't white enough, so this time  I tried with a vallejo white primer, but although I always had good result with their black and grey, this one was quiet messy. Again I removed the paint. Wen removing the paint I accidentally broke some parts off. Most parts I was able to glue back again, but the jaw was lost (not a big deal). This time I had chosen an old Citadel white spray (Skull White) I still had in store somewhere. Bad choice again. Not sure if it was because of the paint of just bad skills, but it was way to thick. Crackled on some places, and all fine details were gone :(

I gave up on that one for the moment, and just finished another one last minute today. Probably the easiest and fastest paintjob I have done in years, but funny enough, much closer to the result I had in mind. Not prefect, and I missed a gap, others not filled properly, and on some places the paint is quiet thick. But definitely much better than the first attempts. Hope to do better next month.

Banshee.jpg.751d5bd70d45eaea03411f77b8afe710.jpg

For all your troubles it llooks amazing.  

Edited by Kramer

On 2/1/2020 at 12:56 PM, Sorrowlol said:

Continuing my Path to glory warband I will build and paint:

10x Ardboyz

1x Warchanter

3x Goregruntas

Didn't manage to build and paint the Goregruntas but finished my MawKrushers base from last month.

Photo from my first PtG game. Got a Minor Victory. 

IMG-20200301-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20200203-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20200206-WA0015.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2