Honestly I think it would make more sense for Nagash to start trying to scour skavenblight in some way. Maybe start funneling nighthaunt souls and dead walkers into an gnawhole. It’d be A massive siege, endless rats versus an endless amount of the dead... and finally stop having the ****** be untouchable.

7 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Breaking news and Spoiler Alert

From GMG's preveiw, if my eyes did not fail me

Hide contents

OBR totally failed and Katakros is destructed by Archaon

That sounds most unclimatic. 🤔 Would be a bit of a shame (and unexpected) if it was so one-sided.

Yeah, I also watched the video, and from what I can see, that is basically how it ends.

Spoiler

Olynder gets killed (not permanently) by Belakor and Archaon takes out Katakros (though also not permanently since apparently his soul moves over to a new body,  which should be completely new yet he still feels pain from where he was killed by the Slayer of Kings). It also seems like that was just the attack on the Varanspire itself, and the Death still holds some lands and has one of their Ossiforts or whatever in the All-Gates. He still continues to plan attacks and does intend to take down the Allpoints for Nagash, so this was more him pushing as deep as he can and seeing how deadly a foe Archaon was.

Edit: Rereading it again, seems like the whole point of this campaign was actually just that - Katakros testing Archaon and Chaos' full might before planning out a full, proper campaign.

Edited by FrekyDoogal

2 hours ago, FrekyDoogal said:

Yeah, I also watched the video, and from what I can see, that is basically how it ends.

Hide contents

Olynder gets killed (not permanently) by Belakor and Archaon takes out Katakros (though also not permanently since apparently his soul moves over to a new body,  which should be completely new yet he still feels pain from where he was killed by the Slayer of Kings). It also seems like that was just the attack on the Varanspire itself, and the Death still holds some lands and has one of their Ossiforts or whatever in the All-Gates. He still continues to plan attacks and does intend to take down the Allpoints for Nagash, so this was more him pushing as deep as he can and seeing how deadly a foe Archaon was.

Edit: Rereading it again, seems like the whole point of this campaign was actually just that - Katakros testing Archaon and Chaos' full might before planning out a full, proper campaign.

Over powered rules can only get ya so far 😉

i expected this outcome, since they cannot have chaos being pushed out of the Eightpoints completely, considering how they have a whole new game system that revolves around it.  I do like the idea of katakros having tested the Eightpoints can come up with a better strategy now, and believe it or not i’m Happy that a third party didn’t intervene. Sometimes, I think it’s a great story when it’s just one side versus the other with no interference. It helps to avoid some of the tiring tropes I found in 40k (Orks versus imperium, but surprise chaos is here for some reason!)

Before katadude can be slain its worth bearing in mind  he has an artefact which is a relic of the sea elves of the world that was.

It’s the clamshell of terminally redoubtable impregnability.

when the bearer is near death he automatically gets swallowed up in a pocket healing dimension and stays there till his body is strong enough to come out of the pocket dimensions safely.

and you thought that was just an impressive codpiece.

3 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Over powered rules can only get ya so far 😉

i expected this outcome, since they cannot have chaos being pushed out of the Eightpoints completely, considering how they have a whole new game system that revolves around it.  I do like the idea of katakros having tested the Eightpoints can come up with a better strategy now, and believe it or not i’m Happy that a third party didn’t intervene. Sometimes, I think it’s a great story when it’s just one side versus the other with no interference. It helps to avoid some of the tiring tropes I found in 40k (Orks versus imperium, but surprise chaos is here for some reason!)

And it allows them to release bonepoints fortress

Eightpoints is shaping up to be the "Chaos Wastes" of the Mortal Realms. Which makes sense, its a realm no god claims and whilst they all might claim it, right now Chaos claims it. It's not on the front lines being pushed back. Nagash has the Realm of Death and Sylvaneth the Realm of Life where their respective armies are pushing back chaos. Realm of Beasts has Orruks whilst Metal appears to be quite blasted out but the Dwarves are steadily sneaking back with Stormcast support. Realm of Shadow has Malarion and Daughters of Khaine pushing their own fronts. 

So basically all the major armies are already in wars against huge chaos forces in their own realms. Nagash has made a bold strike at the Eightpoints because he's got a recent glut of victories and armies even in the wake of the Necroquake. So he's riding that tide to carry himself part way into the Eightpoints. Much like Sigmar's initial burst of invasions at the start of the Age. 

I would expect the Eightpoints to remain in chaos ownership for a very long time, if forever through the Age of Sigmar. I can't see that moving until Warcry dies (if it dies) or unless Chaos takes a massive an major alternative Mortal Realm land/region to act as a rally and staging ground. 

Whilst Mortal Realms lets GW push and change things, I think having some stability is good for the setting. Eightpoints is going to be one such stable point. 

• Like 4

In one of the interviews (I think the Bonereapers one) on the GW podcast they said that they'd focused a lot on death in armies and in stories over the last few years and that this focus was likely to shift. It sounded like Destruction was going to be the next focus and we've got a massive Orruk army marching on the Stormcast as we speak. 

Kakatross getting a beating and being beaten back does act as a good point for Nagash starting to stabilise his recent surge of power. He's still got a LOT of the Realm of Death to conquer even before reaching out. Securing his Eightpoint entryway is a sound strategy for curtailing Chaos and leaving Nagash less threat from them and more time to focus on the myriad armies of the Dead. 

Meanwhile seeing the Orruks take bash at Sigmar and his Stormcast might well give pause to their ever expanding front lints. Bogging them down and slowing the cleansing of the Realms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

In one of the interviews (I think the Bonereapers one) on the GW podcast they said that they'd focused a lot on death in armies and in stories over the last few years and that this focus was likely to shift. It sounded like Destruction was going to be the next focus and we've got a massive Orruk army marching on the Stormcast as we speak. 

Kakatross getting a beating and being beaten back does act as a good point for Nagash starting to stabilise his recent surge of power. He's still got a LOT of the Realm of Death to conquer even before reaching out. Securing his Eightpoint entryway is a sound strategy for curtailing Chaos and leaving Nagash less threat from them and more time to focus on the myriad armies of the Dead. 

Meanwhile seeing the Orruks take bash at Sigmar and his Stormcast might well give pause to their ever expanding front lints. Bogging them down and slowing the cleansing of the Realms. 

Even just fortifying the gate to the realm of death is a small victory. They didn’t raze the varanspire (which was pretty obvious considering it is the symbol of chaos in the realms) but, they cut off one avenue of invasion and secured it with souls that can’t be broken or corrupted (I think). And as you said, Nagash still has his entire realm to conquer. Who the hell knows what else could try and conquer it. I am just happy the skeletons didn’t get screwed over by skaven again.

Edited by Acid_Nine

My ramblings on the book / story ending:

Spoiler

To be honest, I never expected Katakros to win per se, but I gotta say that I am disappointed with this outcome if this ending is true. Not just because status quo is still status quo, but also because they basically showed Katakros as this 4D chess level general that is actually just really good at....losing. First when he was mortal and basically Leroy Jenkins his way to an early grave, then to Nagash (he gives up, and holds out long, but still. If you're losing against a bunch of skellies in the first place,  that's on you), then to Sigmar. Then he gets this awesome new body complete with "I am totally masculine, I swear" codpiece, gets proclaimed "Katakros the undefeated" and then decides to march on the damn eight points and....get defeated. I can't help but think that Katakros is the Charlie Zelenoff of Age of Sigmar. For those of you that don't know who Charlie is, he's basically a self-proclaimed "boxer" that basically just fights beginners, proceeds to just be a ****** and beat the ****** of them the first time they wear padding, and yet thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Yet he doesn't want to fight actual boxers, but when he does (once in a blue moon), as soon as he starts to lose he runs off and calls it a draw.

I do kinda get that it was sort of a "I want to know how deadly Archaon is" thing, but then again, I dunno... read Archaon's wiki page or some ****** . If he wanted to know how deadly Archaon is,  he should have asked himself this question: Have I blown up a planet, yes or no? If No, then, I dunno perhaps be a bit careful and not be an arrogant fool? If Yes, then you are either lying, or you are in fact Archaon. 

Also, Archaon literally sent your boss packing to the shadow realm (Yugi-oh reference), so probably not a wise idea to blitzkrieg into Archaon's home turf whilst trying to fill out your 100 page risk assessment form. ANYONE COULD HAVE TOLD YOU THAT.  Ask Arkhan FFS if you didn't want to ask Daddy Nagash? 

Katakros: "Hey Arkhan my buddy, is this a bad idea?"

Arkhan: "f****ng stupid idea mate. You remember he blew up my home planet right?.Like it's gone. Totally gone. There's like a one in a million chance of this working" 

Kata: "So you're telling me there's a chance?" (Yes - with the exact same face Jim Carrey makes in Dumb and Dumber)

Arkhan: "No that's not what I'm say- where are you going? I told you it was a stupid idea! Come back here! ******!" 

Speaking of the other Mortarchs. Can you IMAGINE how pissed Olynder must be? She has to unlock this dickhead from the stormvault, knowing full well he's totally gonna mess ****** up again in the office. Is forced to go on this stupid ass business trip with him and then gets shanked? It's like Katakros is the boss's favourite and wins employee of the month all the time, despite doing absolutely ****** all and costing the company a boat load in legal fees for all the mistakes he keeps making and the only reason he's the favourite is because he gave one ****** presentation about "confidence in the workplace". Kata is that kinda boss that asks you to do a presentation, you send it to him and then he changes your name to his before he presents it and you get no credit. No wonder Nagash thinks he's so good! 

If you look up the term "failing upwards" on Google, you get Katakros's face as the top result. 

What's Kata's nickname now? Katakros the "Well....I'm more of a tactician than a fighter"? Katakross the "that one doesn't count because I wasn't ready"? Katakros, Mortarch of Theorycrafting? Mortach of "Actually I had dust in my eyes"?  Mortarch of "I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that pesky Archaon"?

I could accept a "Ha, this isn't even my final form" where Kata goes super saiyan, but doesn't continue the fight because he has learnt enough. But this anime style "just as planned" mixed with this "Team Rocket's blasting of agaaaaaaaaain!"  like it's a pokemon episode ending is just.....urgh. 

They really did my boy dirty....

Edited by Heijoshin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, Heijoshin said:

Arkhan: "f****ng stupid idea mate. You remember he blew up my home planet right?.Like it's gone. Totally gone. There's like a one in a million chance of this working" 

You sir just won the internet! xD

Edited by MitGas
  • Haha 1

Whilst the result does feel a bit of a cop out there’s part of me that loves that Katakros was built up, over the short space of a couple of months, as this great tactical genius, the Alexander of the Mortal Realms no less, a man boasting not just a superhuman bulge but the epithet of ‘The Undefeated’.

And then literally in his first on screen appearance, as it were, he just Leeroy Jenkins it into the Eightpoints and gets wrecked.

I’m still going to pick up the book, and Katakros’s model too at some point, but I genuinely hope the last page ends with Archaon introducing the Slayer of Kings right up K’s backside and as his Spirit drifts back to Shyish over the battered and broken remnants of his poorly led troops an eerie voice echoes through the heavens ‘at least I got chicken’.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Heijoshin said:

My ramblings on the book / story ending:

Hide contents

To be honest, I never expected Katakros to win per se, but I gotta say that I am disappointed with this outcome if this ending is true. Not just because status quo is still status quo, but also because they basically showed Katakros as this 4D chess level general that is actually just really good at....losing. First when he was mortal and basically Leroy Jenkins his way to an early grave, then to Nagash (he gives up, and holds out long, but still. If you're losing against a bunch of skellies in the first place,  that's on you), then to Sigmar. Then he gets this awesome new body complete with "I am totally masculine, I swear" codpiece, gets proclaimed "Katakros the undefeated" and then decides to march on the damn eight points and....get defeated. I can't help but think that Katakros is the Charlie Zelenoff of Age of Sigmar. For those of you that don't know who Charlie is, he's basically a self-proclaimed "boxer" that basically just fights beginners, proceeds to just be a ****** and beat the ****** of them the first time they wear padding, and yet thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Yet he doesn't want to fight actual boxers, but when he does (once in a blue moon), as soon as he starts to lose he runs off and calls it a draw.

I do kinda get that it was sort of a "I want to know how deadly Archaon is" thing, but then again, I dunno... read Archaon's wiki page or some ****** . If he wanted to know how deadly Archaon is,  he should have asked himself this question: Have I blown up a planet, yes or no? If No, then, I dunno perhaps be a bit careful and not be an arrogant fool? If Yes, then you are either lying, or you are in fact Archaon. 

Also, Archaon literally sent your boss packing to the shadow realm (Yugi-oh reference), so probably not a wise idea to blitzkrieg into Archaon's home turf whilst trying to fill out your 100 page risk assessment form. ANYONE COULD HAVE TOLD YOU THAT.  Ask Arkhan FFS if you didn't want to ask Daddy Nagash? 

Kata: "So you're telling me there's a chance?" (Yes - with the exact same face Jim Carrey makes in Dumb and Dumber)

Arkhan: "No that's not what I'm say- where are you going? I told you it was a stupid idea! Come back here! ******!" 

Speaking of the other Mortarchs. Can you IMAGINE how pissed Olynder must be? She has to unlock this dickhead from the stormvault, knowing full well he's totally gonna mess ****** up again in the office. Is forced to go on this stupid ass business trip with him and then gets shanked? It's like Katakros is the boss's favourite and wins employee of the month all the time, despite doing absolutely ****** all and costing the company a boat load in legal fees for all the mistakes he keeps making and the only reason he's the favourite is because he gave one ****** presentation about "confidence in the workplace". Kata is that kinda boss that asks you to do a presentation, you send it to him and then he changes your name to his before he presents it and you get no credit. No wonder Nagash thinks he's so good! 

If you look up the term "failing upwards" on Google, you get Katakros's face as the top result. 

What's Kata's nickname now? Katakros the "Well....I'm more of a tactician than a fighter"? Katakross the "that one doesn't count because I wasn't ready"? Katakros, Mortarch of Theorycrafting? Mortach of "Actually I had dust in my eyes"?  Mortarch of "I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that pesky Archaon"?

I could accept a "Ha, this isn't even my final form" where Kata goes super saiyan, but doesn't continue the fight because he has learnt enough. But this anime style "just as planned" mixed with this "Team Rocket's blasting of agaaaaaaaaain!"  like it's a pokemon episode ending is just.....urgh. 

They really did my boy dirty....

I love "Mortarch of Theorycrafting"!

• Haha 1