8 hours ago, Dragobeth said:

Katakros is the perfect personification of that guy

You know, that guy, the guy who buys the most op army once it get released, goes to the tournament with 0 experience and get smashed by some other person who  knows what to do.

I knew there was something out there I just couldn't put together, and it is this exact thing.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dragobeth said:

You know, that guy, the guy who buys the most op army once it get released, goes to the tournament with 0 experience and get smashed by some other person who  knows what to do.

Holy hell, it's brilliant. In-universe leader of the bonereapers is like those people who onlybought into bonereapers because they heard they were OP. He only needs a quieter, more skilled but less known officer who actually enjoys being a bonereaper having a string of successes behind his back that are all attributed to Katakros and we're set. :D 

• Like 1

I want to point out though, rereading the story point and how it goes along with newer information from people with a copy:

Spoiler

It's much more of a case of this was a probing assault by Katakros to properly assess Archaon at full strength. It's not a true loss at all, because Katakros full intended for the siege of the Varanspire to fail in the sense of taking the Varanspire. He knew the siege would force Archaon to play his full hand, and then Katakros would get first-hand information of his strength and characteristics, with no cost to himself (since he has like a hall of backup bodies lined up back in the new fort he created in the Allpoints). So he returns to his stronghold there, and can now prepare a proper long-term campaign to take the Eightpoints from Archaon. So this was less a "lose the battle, win the war" it was more like "I do not know what my foe is capable for, so let's lure him into showing his hand so that I might plan around it". Reading that, it really doesn't seem like Archaon won at all - if anything, even though he destroyed the besieging army, Katakros out-planned him every step of the way, showing off his tactical genius. I actually think Katakros came off better in this, especially after he basically stomps all of Chaos until Archaon.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

If this trend continues does this mean that Allpoints becomes like a massive housing estate with each gang having their own city block fortress and postal area parked in front of their respective realmgate to defend?

The Varanspire gang

The bonepoints boys

the Waggghhhpoints massive

The stormpoints brothers

etc etc.

... And a big massive  sinkhole in the middle of it all full of rats.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

If this trend continues does this mean that Allpoints becomes like a massive housing estate with each gang having their own city block fortress and postal area parked in front of their respective realmgate to defend?

The Varanspire gang

The bonepoints boys

the Waggghhhpoints massive

The stormpoints brothers

etc etc.

... And a big massive  sinkhole in the middle of it all full of rats.

Perhaps they do it like that to make Warcry focus other factions outside of Chaos and still be concentrated in that one place? 🤔

• Like 1

The whole campaign makes me feel that the writer does try his best to make the early victoris of Death reasonable

Spoiler

Eightpoints suffered greatly from necroquake

No varanguard left to defend the eightpoints, the command  falls to only a gaunt summoner and a nobody chaos lord

No greater daemons or vast daemon legions engaged in the early battles

Before Archaon led his own legion back, most of the chaos forces are separate chaos tribes and warbands under no unifying command

Olynder was killed by Be'lakor straightly (Facepalm)

Celestant Prime now really becomes a joke to me 

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

The whole campaign makes me feel that the writer does try his best to make the early victoris of Death reasonable

Reveal hidden contents

Eightpoints suffered greatly from necroquake

No varanguard left to defend the eightpoints, the command  falls to only a gaunt summoner and a nobody chaos lord

No greater daemons or vast daemon legions engaged in the early battles

Before Archaon led his own legion back, most of the chaos forces are separate chaos tribes and warbands under no unifying command

Olynder was killed by Be'lakor straightly (Facepalm)

Celestant Prime now really becomes a joke to me 

Killed like really destroyed or just the classic GW, see you next week killed?!

Indeed. They're both badasses but it makes an aesthetic sense that the Prime would dominate out of sheer power (before at almost super nova capacity) while a master of undeath and magic gets the upperhand by trickery.

As for Olynder, I thought it was pretty awesome how fast she returned for Katakros to order her for a new assualt on the chaos armored highways that took advantage of the Nighthaunt's ethereal nature.

It makes the undead foothold all the more daunting to break as death is only a temporary inconvenience to them before they're back turning your own dead against you.

Love it. :D

Edited by Baron Klatz

On 2/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, Baron Klatz said:

Indeed. They're both badasses but it makes an aesthetic sense that the Prime would dominate out of sheer power (before at almost super nova capacity) while a master of undeath and magic gets the upperhand by trickery.

As for Olynder, I thought it was pretty awesome how fast she returned for Katakros to order her for a new assualt on the chaos armored highways that took advantage of the Nighthaunt's ethereal nature.

It makes the undead foothold all the more daunting to break as death is only a temporary inconvenience to them before they're back turning your own dead against you.

Love it. :D

Kinda wish it wasn’t the case too. Not really any threats to the death lords after all, and even if another hero wins against them the victory is hollow because of that whole res pawning thing. It’s just my two cents, though.

Well there are threats but it's very specific because the factions do all have ways  to trap or destroy souls by one means or another.

Khul was the first to show that way back in Warstorm where he got the better of a cocky Lord-celestant and cleaved his soul from his body, leaving a horrified specter standing before his own dead body before it was pulled into the chaos realm, screaming, and he claimed his head since the soul didn't lightning the body away.

If Olynder was killed by Archaon's Kingslayer for instance she wouldn't be so fortunate nor if Dorghar ate her since it's body traps souls in it. Azyrheim rings a bell of sorrow for the Stormcast still trapped in it since the Age of Chaos (some heroes we met in Warstorm no less).

Katakros was more fortunate than most against Archaon because of the sheer power of his soul which lied dormant being sealed beneath Lake Tethis for centuries because it was such an indestructible evil on it's own that impressed even Nagash.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2020 at 4:46 PM, Baron Klatz said:

Well my interpretation is that she needs a slow regeneration and most of her minions are destroyed 

That’s why at the final part Katakros needs to call new reinforcements of ghosts from Nagashizzar.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:52 PM, xking said:

Olynder was getting absolutely wrecked by the Celestant Prime. She only won because a cheat item she got from Nagash.

If you look at the model and rule, that item is actually a normal weapon of olynder, so not that cheating.

And they just exchanged one below, but yeah since Olynder is more like a witch-type fighter it is no surprising that Prime can get upper-hands in martial fighting,  he is just surprisingly easy to kill. 

Edited by Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

If you look at the model and rule, that item is actually a normal weapon of olynder, so not that cheating.

And even if she received this item from Nagash, the Celestant got Gal Marazh by Sigmar himself...so they both share a gift from their respective Gods

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Katakros was really lucky this time as when he is defeated Archaon decided to finish him by his own hand, rather than letting Dorghar devour kata. 
Dunno if Kata knows the ability of Dorghar, but if he does, then this battle is actually a very risky gambit

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Kinda wish it wasn’t the case too. Not really any threats to the death lords after all, and even if another hero wins against them the victory is hollow because of that whole res pawning thing. It’s just my two cents, though.

I feel like this is a bit of a deliberate trend on GW's part, so they can have characters that are always "available" to players regardless of whether they win or lose in the stories. It's not just the Death characters either - Stormcast and Daemons also respawn as needed, as do all the various Gods, the Spirits of Durthu, probably Eltharion, etc.

Of course, when your characters can never be in any real danger the story loses its stakes and becomes pointless. So they invent various mechanisms of "super-death" that can put these unkillable characters in peril... and then they come up with various contrivances as to why those methods don't actually get used on the special characters they want to preserve. They're gradually backing themselves into a corner.

Because it's a good place to discuss the outcome now. :)

Just now, Kadeton said:

They're gradually backing themselves into a corner.

That's why the named characters are few and far between compared to the  hordes of disposable characters based on the nameless hero models. Even if they weren't immortals they'd have plot armor ala 40k or Wfb to keep them and their model relevant.

Instead of their death being the threat it's the plot point they provide the setting. Sure the likes of Alarielle,  Archaon or Katakros will never truly die but their setbacks cause a chain-effect of lost ground that'll get other characters killed, lands/cities lost and the realms altered which is the main drive of AoS' progressive plotline which gets people invested to the growing setting.

Edit: Thinking more on it Doko might be right.

Should we make a "Wrath of the Everchosen Outcome" thread to further discuss this and the possible new story arcs, campaigns and narratives this shift of power for the Eight-points, Shyish and the Realmlords has caused and what it could mean for the larger picture of the Soul Wars?

Edited by Baron Klatz

Am I the only one that think the result of the campaign was a clearly Katakros victory?

- Bonefortress and the conquer of near territory.

- The only one good general is Archaon in the Chaos forces. And because of that he is trapped in Eighpoints .

- The destruction of the duardin Forge.

- Slaneesh going to be hidden again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1