Da Black Jawz

Redmanphill

Da Black Jawz

Black Jaw signature.png

I should probably find a more Orruk version of Black for the name, just Blak perhaps? Anyway lets see if I can get some motivation together to actually see this project through to its completion? I have been very much a hobby butterfly since Age of Sigmar dropped. As I have almost no local players it has been tough to stick to one project and I have just been jumping from one unit or model to the next as I saw fit.

For the year before Age of Sigmar dropped I had been collecting and painting a huge Destruction army. I am not yet brave enough to rebase it, especially as I would need three hundred bases. Who knows it may eventually happen. What I hadn't painted yet was my Black Orcs. Now that they are 'Ardboyz I took them out and just started painting. I am trying to keep it quick and simple so that I don't lose motivation. The models are great and so that has helped enormously when it comes to the painting.

I haven't rebased these guys off of their square bases just yet as I don't know what way I want to do their bases. My order forces are all based on a ruined sigmarite temple theme but that doesn't fit here and I want something a little easier as the greenstuff bases takes ages to do. I have done forest bases to death at this point and while I like them I think I need something else. What I definitely won't do is snow. I hate snow bases, they invariably look poor and I also don't have any snow terrain.

14080910_10154467171451934_119439273_n.jpg

4 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

I always hated the name Goff for Orks, I don't know why. It just never made sense.

The checks are really easy to do once you get the hang of them. The longest part is getting a flat white underneath them.

gof or goff is a corruption of goth.  Makes sense, considering the cultural context of the the late 80's early 90's. 

I will be doing two mobz of 'Ardboyz: Da White Fangs and Da 'Ard Skullz. Well some variant upon those names at least. I was thinking the other day that they have the wrong coloured jaw pieces.

As for the flame designs I will be changing up the checks in the next mob. I am not sure to what but maybe those flames would work.

I had a decent weekend of painting and got four more 'Ardboyz done. Only 32 more to do, eh? Hopefully I can pick up the pace a little. I have had forty of the 'Ardboyz for a long time now and so getting them painted is a priority. As I have been such a hobby butterfly I won't be adding to this army until I have these done.

I posted my army list in the Destruction section but basically it is:

• 40 'Ardboyz
  • 10 Brutes
  • 6 Gore Gruntas
  • Mega Boss
  • Warchanter
  • Weird Nob

So I basically have everything that is possible in a themed list. It leaves me wondering if we might get some reinforcements in the future? I think the units and charcters are fine but we really could do with just a slightly more diverse list.

Iron Jawz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/8/2016 at 8:09 PM, Mikester1487 said:

I really want to run a pure list, but that depends on what kind of faction specific items and abilities they get.   

I am definitely going to run a pure list but then again I do have over 150 painted Moonclan Grots and a similar number of standard Orruks so I guess I will have plenty of options.

I have been messing around with some markings for a second unit of 'Ardboyz and this is what I came up with, a skull maskSkull helmetjpg.jpg:

Black Orc Front.jpg

Here is my real test model done. I wanted to get the base sorted out and then get a model onto it as soon as possible. I want this guy to be part of a different Mob so I went with a skull helmet which I am fairly happy with. I might make some changes especially as I want to put some battle damage onto it which is harder over white than black. I also went with a yellow shoulder pad with the new style flame design. It looks good so I will stick with that for the rest of this Mob. Only nineteen to go...

Black Orc rear.jpg

You can see the base a little better here. It has a fair bit of detail and it surprised me just how much the model obscures it all. I thought the 'Ardboyz would be swimming on the base but no they fill it really well. I suppose they were always too small for the 25mm ones so it shouldn't have been such a surprise that they fit so well on the new 32's.

Improvements for the future will be a smaller fern. It looked tiny when I made it but then having attached it to the base it is huge. That isn't so out of scale but I think smaller ones would help the look alright. I might add some fallen leaves to the base still but I couldn't find them tonight.

• 7 months later...

I haven't been making too much progress of late as I've been busy with some Wild West miniatures. However I've come up with a new basing scheme, something more akin to what I'd wanted in the first place. This base is one I'm doing for my upcoming brutes. I've some sparse vegetation still to add but this is close to done.

IMG_0356.JPG

Fantastic work from the past, I also really like your wasteland base and can't wait to see those Black Jaws on there aswell!

Secretly I'm even hoping you'll go a little techy and complete a Mad Max vibe with some cyber Squighs :P 

I started with one of my Brutes finally. It's about time I made some progress on this army. I'm trying a more detailed weathering technique. I have only done it here on the weapon. I had been doing just silver streaks but now I'm trying to get some rust around the scratches. I'm really not sure if I like it as yet. Hopefully I can get this guy finished over the weekend.

IMG_0379.JPG

I think the weathering looks pretty good, especially on the armor on his left forearm.  You may want to take the rust on the scratches up a shade to a brighter orange.  You could stipple it on with an old brush, in random places on and around the rust you've already done.  Still an awesome color scheme though, can't wait to see more progress!

• 2 weeks later...

My first Brute is nearly done. I have a few little bits still to do on this guy but they are minor things. I went with a fairly heavy weathering, I am always wary of that but I think it works. It takes a while to do so it had better work! The only annoyance is that I have a different weathering done for the few 'Ardboyz I have done so I might have to go back over them. That doesn't appeal too much,

Its going to take me a while to finish the rest of the force but well as I know what I am doing I can start doing these in batches and that should speed the whole process along.

I have changed the bases into more of a barren wastelands feel. A few scattered bones and skulls should convey that message well enough. I might add a tuft or two of dried grass. I've combined both Agrellan Badlands and Agrellan Earth here. I like the effect I get from mixing the two together on the base. I like to keep the craks a little smaller and more subtle. The really big ones look out of scale somehow I think?

Orruk Brute.jpg

Archived