Really obnoxious adverts

HollowHills

I came on the site this morning and there is a massive drop down advert at the top and new advert boxes around the page. They are really in your face. 

I didnt want to ad block at first because it was all hobby related and I won't mind supporting the forum. I will be ad blocking from now on. 

I wanted to give feedback so the site owners can consider rolling back the changes. 

Note I've moved the thread to the Feedback section instead of the general AoS discussions.

I'm not involved with advertising and such, however I'd encourage people to share their opinions on the advertising and hopefully a happy medium can be found between enough to help the site remain functional and not so many that it disrupts user activity and enjoyment of the site. Note it might help at times to share screenshots of ads that are badly affecting your view of the site. Sometimes the actual ad setup is fine, but some ads break through the limits and cause problems of their own. 

• Thanks 1

I should note as Ben is putting the Ads in this weekend its likely some people are seeing slightly different things over time as settings are adjusted - hence why there might be some variation in opinions. Do take screenshots of problems to share so that we are a all able to see what you see

I've noticed this as well. By the way, my post is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends, one of the biggest mobile role-playing games of 2019 and it's totally free! Currently almost 10 million users have joined Raid over the last six months, and it's one of the most impressive games in its class with detailed models, environments and smooth 60 frames per second animations!

• Haha 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I've noticed this as well. By the way, my post is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends, one of the biggest mobile role-playing games of 2019 and it's totally free! Currently almost 10 million users have joined Raid over the last six months, and it's one of the most impressive games in its class with detailed models, environments and smooth 60 frames per second animations!

Oeh that sounds cool!

• Haha 1

Hi guys, 

as suggested by the TGA community in a previous post (see below), the way the site will be funded is via a mixture of ads, subscribers and donations.  

We are at around £350-400 a month in running costs for the traffic we get and I can't fund this myself anymore.  We have had an awesome amount of support from donations and subscribers and sponsors but it is still WAY below what the site is costing to keep up.  

In December I payed out 

$330 USD to the site software hire and hosting
£50 GBPish to mail chimp for the email service
£25 GBP to Amazon AWS for the media hosting

Income from the site was:

1 fantastic sponsor for the month. £100 Thank you MINI MAG TRAY!
Donations in December - £0
Subscriptions in December -  £40

Previous thread discussing this.  

Previous suggestions/cost covering attempts-

The fact of the matter is that the AdSense ads have been up less than 12 hours and have produced £2.50 already.  Over a day, and over a year that's probably going to be £1500-2000.  If ad Sense can bering in £5 a day then I will help towards the costs over the year.  

So over the weekend I am adding Ad Sense to the site.  I set it up last night and some time in the night it got activated.  This morning I twerked the amount of display ads and over the next few days i'll be able to set it up so Guests get a high amount.  Logged in users get an average amount, and subscribers get no ads at all.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm one hundred percent fine with the ads. Maybe like they said some people are getting more ads than others but TGA is by far the best community for AoS discussion anywhere on the web and the thought that one guy has to pay out of pocket so that the hundreds of us can enjoy a service and we aren't willing to chip in is just a bit selfish ( note I am not attacking anyone with that statement as selfishness has its time and place)

I mean imagine instead of logging on and finding the horror of ADS! You get a sad little message from the creator of the site saying they had to shut down due to financial reasons. I can't speak for anyone else but I know I'd be more upset about the latter than the former.

It is certainly not fair if one person has to shoulder the cost.  Maybe it would make people more comfortable subscribing / accepting the ads to know - Where do the proceeds go if donation + subscription + ad money begins to exceed the operating costs for the month? 

Also, does the donation goal bar currently exclude subscription and ad revenue?  The donation bar could be misleading if the site began to gain significant revenue in other ways.

Here are what the ads look like when I'm logged into my account on my mobile phone:

ads.png.8150011d669b7d6d8268d56fa8fb14e9.png

Edited by Zanzou

5 hours ago, Ben said:

Hi guys, 

as suggested by the TGA community in a previous post (see below), the way the site will be funded is via a mixture of ads, subscribers and donations.  

We are at around £350-400 a month in running costs for the traffic we get and I can't fund this myself anymore.  We have had an awesome amount of support from donations and subscribers and sponsors but it is still WAY below what the site is costing to keep up.  

In December I payed out 

$330 USD to the site software hire and hosting
£50 GBPish to mail chimp for the email service
£25 GBP to Amazon AWS for the media hosting

Income from the site was:

1 fantastic sponsor for the month. £100 Thank you MINI MAG TRAY!
Donations in December - £0
Subscriptions in December -  £40

Previous thread discussing this.  

Previous suggestions/cost covering attempts-

The fact of the matter is that the AdSense ads have been up less than 12 hours and have produced £2.50 already.  Over a day, and over a year that's probably going to be £1500-2000.  If ad Sense can bering in £5 a day then I will help towards the costs over the year.  

So over the weekend I am adding Ad Sense to the site.  I set it up last night and some time in the night it got activated.  This morning I twerked the amount of display ads and over the next few days i'll be able to set it up so Guests get a high amount.  Logged in users get an average amount, and subscribers get no ads at all.  

I get needing ads, that's fine. It's mostly the big one that pops right up in your face when you are using a mobile that's annoying. It takes up quite a bit of the screen and is more of a pop up than anything. I also got loads of ads about tax returns and one for some sort of ****** anime? Normally on other sites I just get get stuff like element games. The previous adverts were unobtrusive, it just seems to be a bit far now.

Obviously I can just ad block and it's no problem, but I would white list the site if it toned down a bit as I do get needing to cover costs.

Personally I won't subscribe due to my own experiences, but I think it's fair enough to have an ad free site require that.

My only real complaint is the adds that show up in between posts in threads. Additionally when changing the page within a thread I have to reload it as only the adds show up the first time.

additionally, would it maybe be possible to control the subject matter of the adds and keep them somewhat relevant to our hobby?