Painting Stormcast Vanguard

Vakarian

Since this is a Warcry-specific project I figured I would start by posting this here. I wanted to build and paint a Warcry Stormcast warband, and because Vanguard got released first, that’s what I started with. But I wanted to make the modeIs  look a bit different, so I threw some kitbashed parts together for my leader, and swapped Sequitor heads without helms for the traditional Vanguard helms. 

I’ve just finished the first three models: the Hunter Prime (sword swapped to give him the “Blade of Heroes” relic in an obvious way), a Gryphound, and an Aetherwing. 

I’ll post the remainder as I go, and though I don’t move fast, Stormcast don’t take too long at least. The remaining Gryphounds and Aetherwings will all be painted to look like different, real animals. The Gryphound here was basically a test, browns could be a lot of things, and the Aetherwing was painted like a gyrfalcon. 

Enjoy! 

79DACB66-FAE3-4A5D-AC9C-EEE60E633B33.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/2/2020 at 3:35 AM, Vakarian said:

he promptly rewarded his paint job by triple-critting an FEC leader to win me tonight’s game!

Haha you are the only person then who I know doesn’t suffer from new model syndrome.
great paint jobs, and very impressive how you managed to build up the grey on the bird.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been slow going, but another Aetherwing is finished for the Stormtorn. I’ve played enough games now to be convinced that the Aetherwings are the glue that makes SCE Vanguard work as a scary good warband. Activations, flying movement, the ability to easily take objectives or tie up key enemy pieces, and the reroll double make the birds essential to really playing strong SCE lists. 

Anyway, enjoy the latest birb! Painting inspired by the North American red-tailed hawk. 

88EB984F-1F89-4BB8-AA57-DFB13C5FCE60.jpeg

BCDE1B73-44A5-4EA7-989C-73313AFD4604.jpeg

2661C6DF-5259-4F84-9B2C-FBC04B92EBB0.jpeg

680BA98E-A384-4C2B-AA8E-0431513C70BF.jpeg

Edited by Vakarian
  • Like 2