Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HollowHills

Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

3 hours ago, Sleepers said:

Guys I figured it out..

they mentioned ally’s in the article today.. our mounted melee hero is the anointed flamspyre and frostheart phoenix from CoS. I’d also bet we can take Phoenix guard, anointed on foot, shadow warriors and maybe the assassin? The keywords are a bit all over the place, it’s possible we only get Phoenix temple units, but I would love some shadow warriors to go along with my army so I’m saying they are in! 😂

Well, DoK and IDK can allie, as can COS take DOK and IDK.

So I well image them being able to allie with DOK/IDK/COS (Aelves)

I'm really hoping we get an option ala some of the recent tomes (Idoneth, Cities) to include other factions' units without having to dip into allies, i.e. one sub-allegiance lets us take Phoenix Temple units as part of the army or something like that. It would really help old High Elf players work with the new range and give us more thematic options to make up for what appears to be a rather limited roster (in terms of sheer number of choices available.) 

• Like 1

Regarding "Shining Company", I wonder if there will be other ways of "setting up" during the game such as a teleport spell.  Soulscream Bridge may be useful too. 

6 hours ago, AthelLoren said:

All of them are wizards? That sounds amazing. I might just reconsider starting a Lumineth army after all... Personally, I also love the Shining Company rule. It's very thematic and it seems like a fun thing to play around - even if it isn't too strong, I like armies that offer interesting gameplay. Also, how would you guys paint Ghyran Lumineth? A pristine White with green accents? A light green, as if glowing with life energy? Would an all-natural, druidic stone grey theme work?

The colour option you say all sound good. Officially all the Lumineth are in Hysh as far as we know, so you are pretty much free to do anything you want with some originating from Ghyran. Druidic definitely would fit with their theme (close to the realm as such). 

• Like 1

I could see Teclis using foreign agents and hidden outposts to conceal his involvement and garrisoned troops in case of a need to handle delicate situations.

1 hour ago, LuminethMage said:

The colour option you say all sound good. Officially all the Lumineth are in Hysh as far as we know, so you are pretty much free to do anything you want with some originating from Ghyran. Druidic definitely would fit with their theme (close to the realm as such). 

We don't know this, right? Cities can't be from anywhere but fire or life (mechanically, at least), so maybe Lumineth are similarely limited.

5 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

It seems like you need to have them in 2 ranks to gain the benefit as, in order to have each model within base to base of 2 other models at a time, you need even the guy o the end to have 2 dudes within base to base of him. Is this correct?

You could also go 3-4 ranks deep (particularly with the pikes), which would allow you to peel units off of the back of the formation without loosing the Shining Company bonus, at least for a while.

7 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Yeah when I read that rule it does seem to imply that it does the exact opposite of what they are saying, and it only helps the opponent basically achieve an additional 2” pile in :/

Yea, kinda stinks. I think it could be good though, like with small units or monsters. Just stuff to be careful of. Besides this is all speculation anyways.

i think it is going to be used more by the stoneguard rather than by the battle cattle. That way they can wrap around units and coral them  a bit better I think.

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

We don't know this, right? Cities can't be from anywhere but fire or life (mechanically, at least), so maybe Lumineth are similarely limited.

I meant for him as a background. If he wants them to be from Ghyran, then he can always come up with a fitting story. Rule-wise we don’t know, yup. 

I’m curious also how you can move a unit 2” and get them out of 3” engagement range. Won’t They just pile back in and be good to go?

18 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I’m curious also how you can move a unit 2” and get them out of 3” engagement range. Won’t They just pile back in and be good to go?

Well, you can do a follow up move of 1" towards  them to help block them off. plus, it's at the end of each combat phase, where they already piled in and cannot do so again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Thats not its purpose, it is designed to push them back off objectives so you have more bodies than them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

deleted

Edited by PC Veteran
Chump said the same thing first.
  • Like 1

It may be just me, but Aetherquartz is meant to take away emotions, which ought to make bravery better not worse.  I understand there needs to be a cost to using it, but reducing bravery seems counter-narrative.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

It may be just me, but Aetherquartz is meant to take away emotions, which ought to make bravery better not worse.  I understand there needs to be a cost to using it, but reducing bravery seems counter-narrative.

Correct, but when they use their Aetherquartz ability they break the aetherquartz so the emotions return to them, giving them a burst of power but making them less emotionally stable.

At least thats my interpretation.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

Correct, but when they use their Aetherquartz ability they break the aetherquartz so the emotions return to them, giving them a burst of power but making them less emotionally stable.

I interpret it in the same manner. Aetherquartz properties improve their physical and arcane abilities, but the emotions come back as well.

However, if I recall correctly, did they not mention a while back that the Scinari Cathaller lady is there for taking the despair of Lumineth and inflicting those emotions back upon the enemy? I remember reading that as making the enemy take your bravery tests as well as theirs. If it is like that, the diminished bravery may be a blessing in disguise.

Edit: found it! They said it verbally during the third preview when they showed her mini. This is the accompanying text:

image.png

Edited by Khaedhras
Added info about Cathaller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

Well, perhaps there will be an explanation in the Battletome.  In the Lumineth Lowdown part one, it says that they draw the energy from the Aetherquartz which becomes blackened and drains the emotions from the bearer "to restore its inner light".   There is no mention of breaking the Aetherquartz.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Well, perhaps there will be an explanation in the Battletome.  In the Lumineth Lowdown part one, it says that they draw the energy from the Aetherquartz which becomes blackened and drains the emotions from the bearer "to restore its inner light".   There is no mention of breaking the Aetherquartz.

It actually says in the Aetherquartz Reserve flavor text  from yesterday's article that "In extremis, the Realm-lord can break the vessel's seal, allowing them to temporarily increase their physical and arcane prowess, albeit at a heavy emotional cost".

Edited by chosen_of_khaine

So just a thought...Any wizard can attempt to cast an endless spell right? doesn't that mean all our battleline units can attempt to cast an endless spell?

I'm just envisioning either the rune (for that -1 to hit stacking with shining company) or casting the Rune of petrification  on a unit you're locked in combat with

36 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

It actually says in the Aetherquartz Reserve flavor text  from yesterday's article that "In extremis, the Realm-lord can break the vessel's seal, allowing them to temporarily increase their physical and arcane prowess, albeit at a heavy emotional cost".

But the Aetherquartz is inside the vessel, not the vessel itself.  They break the vessel to get to the Aetherquartz - "a tiny reserve of Aetherquartz that they keep in a gem-like container"

If it isn’t retconned, eatherquartz is a gas. So then a crystallic container makes sense. They break it and inhale. 

51 minutes ago, Arentius said:

So just a thought...Any wizard can attempt to cast an endless spell right? doesn't that mean all our battleline units can attempt to cast an endless spell?

I'm just envisioning either the rune (for that -1 to hit stacking with shining company) or casting the Rune of petrification  on a unit you're locked in combat with

Not necessarily. Stormcast evocaters can only cast empower or the select spells from the stormcast book but not endless spells. As cool as an image of a group of spearmen forming a circle and reciting the rituals of petrification is, it may be a bit above their skill level.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

But the Aetherquartz is inside the vessel, not the vessel itself.  They break the vessel to get to the Aetherquartz - "a tiny reserve of Aetherquartz that they keep in a gem-like container"

maybe that's why there is a hit to bravery. "Oh man, that was a good box. I paid a lot of money for it!"

• Haha 3