Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

18 hours ago, Thaliontil said:

What I can't understand is the complete lack of articles/information not only on the Lumineth, but on AoS in general. I play 40k, and I love it, but even though you are releasing the new edition soon, shouldn't they, at least, save a couple of the 15/16 articles they upload per week to give something to players from their other main game?

Agreed, over the last two weeks we have only had Roll Models, A Stormcast showcase and a very lack lustre Death Match series. I used to check the site and these forums daily but I’ve been down to once or twice a week lately with so little information flowing.

• Like 2

I have to agree with all of the latest comments. This is starting to feel... I don't know, weird.

It's one of the most hyped and expected releases for AoS in the recent past (93 pages without much information about the range speaks volumes) and it's not just that they're delaying it so much, it's the fact that there's been almost complete silence in the other end of the line. Pandemic and all, even if there are no more minis for the release, there's always rules you can preview, articles you can make about lore, color schemes, mor base details, the design of the boxed set or whatever.

I've had to disconnect for almost two weeks for work reasons and the status is the exact same - no preorders, no leaks, no previews, nada. Even when WD454 comes by the end of the month. It feels like they keep forgetting on purpose, and that they'll have to rush everything when it finally comes (and I'll still love 'em by then).

It's not in line with the general behavior of GW as of late - they even announced price hikes openly and transparently. But on Lumineth, no word at all. Weird.

• Like 3

I on purpose didn't write anything for the last few days to avoid being too negative. But it is really strange, even considering the virus situation. I also followed the release of the Soulbound RPG, and it was just so different. The editor always kept fans up to date, very often personally. Explained delays (also caused by Covid 19) etc. We have a clear release plan there for the rest of the year. And even though there is no mystery there (will my product launch next week??), people still buy the stuff, and are still hyped about it. 

I understand it's a different situation, scale and market, but I doubt that it's impossible for GW to make their release schedule public for more than a week in advance, for the period until everything people have been waiting for a long time now is out. But of course I don't know, maybe their sales rely to such an extend on impulse purchases that they can't do that. 

If they are all in on 40k right now, fine, but why not let us know when it's supposed to happen for us. Next week? In two weeks? Or in August after they are done with all the 40k stuff? And why not write an article or two per week to keep fans of the Lumineth (and also Sons of Behemat) engaged? 

It's not really great from a company if if they make it that obvious that they feel they can just turn us off and on on-demand, which likely is true (100% in my case 😓), but nevertheless. 

Let's hope it's our turn soon, and they still have some nice promotion material for us. 

• Like 3

And now it's official:  WE MADE IT!! MOST POPULAR AELF FACTION ON THE BOARD* (views and posts)👍🎊🎉🥂🍰

*Sylvaneth are not an aelf faction (except in case I need them to be to prove another point I want to make)

* it doesn't matter that half the post are about how awful the horned helmets are, those are clearly also expressions of affection

To properly celebrate this mountainous  momentous event let us feast our eyes on a nice art piece!

F45104F0-2BAF-4495-84D8-D15D9A23BDED.jpeg.a4e5a036fcbe836fcdfb76800016797b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 5

In regards to Sylvaneth not being aelves, was there any official lore reason why WoodlElf Ariel, who was goddess Isha reincarnated and was an Elf in the old world but Alarielle who was originally an elf and a fusion of the very same Ariel / Isha is not anymore ?  Is there a point in the goddess reincarnation cycle where your race vanishes over time  ?   Does this mean the other gods are no longer aelven  / human / dwarven as well ?

1 hour ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Nice!
Is this from the White Dwarf Nr. 454 ?

It’s great, isn’t it? If that doesn’t get you pumped for playing Lumineth, I don’t know what will. 
Stoneguard looks really awesome in this one. Can’t wait until I have that picture in real before me. And yes, it is, found it on a YouTube vid. 

1 hour ago, Incineroar87 said:

In regards to Sylvaneth not being aelves, was there any official lore reason why WoodlElf Ariel, who was goddess Isha reincarnated and was an Elf in the old world but Alarielle who was originally an elf and a fusion of the very same Ariel / Isha is not anymore ?  Is there a point in the goddess reincarnation cycle where your race vanishes over time  ?   Does this mean the other gods are no longer aelven  / human / dwarven as well ?

As far as I understand it, there were many aelves in Ghyran and Alarielle was their goddess too, but during the Age of Chaos they had to flee to Azyr or would have been wiped out. Alarielle took this retreat as abandoning her and the Sylvaneth. She also basically died at that time, and the reincarnated Alarielle focuses on the Sylvaneth, but still remembers the old Wood Elves and the Ghyran Aelves, hence she made the Revenants in their imagine. It also looks like the Wanderers and Alarielle are getting a bit closer again. But maybe someone more knowledgeable of the Sylvaneth than me can explain it better. 

As for the gods, they are not really their species, they often just take the form of humans, dwarfs, elves etc. And seem more connected to one species. But many have believers of more than one species. 

On 5/25/2020 at 11:50 PM, madmac said:

... Generic heroes are...mostly nonexistent but the ones we have look like strictly support types, with only one of them being a Wizard. The only seemingly strong generic hero is the Cow Man ... 

Because I just found out about that: The Scinari Cathaller is also 99% a Wizard, because she can cast "Arcane Bolt".

Not meaning that this changes necessarily the rest of your analysis in your previous post that I'm quoting, just thought this might be interesting for us all, bereft of any real news that we are right now. 

5 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Because I just found out about that: The Scinari Cathaller is also 99% a Wizard, because she can cast "Arcane Bolt".

Not meaning that this changes necessarily the rest of your analysis in your previous post that I'm quoting, just thought this might be interesting for us all, bereft of any real news that we are right now. 

I think the stonemage could be like the vampire lord as a hybrid fighter/caster as in the battle report the stonemage was the general with the command ability "almighty blow". Not the title of a command ability for hanging back away from a fight.

• Like 1

I think next sunday could be the day for the "Lumineth Next Week Preorder" Post (in worst case 1 week later).

My assumpion for this is that they put the releasedate for White Dwarf 454 on last June week, even though some already have it since mid may. If we get the Post on sunday (June, 7.), preorder will be starting on June 13. and release would be on June 20.  and then the white Dwarf on June 26.  If it is one week later the Lumineth would be on preorder at Juni 20. and White Dwarf und Army will be out on the same weekend.

At least we doesn't have the problem the Blackstone Fortress player have. Deadly Alliance was announced for next weeks preorder the week before the shutdown (and it isn't on preorder yet).

My most interest is actually the Battletome because I want to see how the Lore will look like in it's complete state. Hopefully the Armyorganisation will not be as weird as the Sylvaneth one where they discripe that the households are the military armies of the of the sylvaneth and than a Household is 1 Treelord, 1 Branchwych and 1 unit of Tree-Revenants. I mean, the Forest folk battalion looked more like an army than the household. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yuviel Lightbringer said:

I think the stonemage could be like the vampire lord as a hybrid fighter/caster as in the battle report the stonemage was the general with the command ability "almighty blow". Not the title of a command ability for hanging back away from a fight.

Let's see, in the art the Stonemage pretty much is always shown somewhere in the background. And as it's a command ability - it might be that he just enables other units to strike almighty blows.

The Stonemage at least has some proper armour though on his model, so it could be that he is a kind of Loremaster type. Would also be a nice bow to the old HE and would fit with the Ymetrica aelimentiri being the "warriors" among the elemental sects. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Let's see, in the art the Stonemage pretty much is always shown somewhere in the background. And as it's a command ability - it might be that he just enables other units to strike almighty blows.

The Stonemage at least has some proper armour though on his model, so it could be that he is a kind of Loremaster type. Would also be a nice bow to the old HE and would fit with the Ymetrica aelimentiri being the "warriors" among the elemental sects. 

The stonemage has taken a bit of a backseat in the artwork I agree, and I do also agree that Almighty blow could refer to an aura like buff, if that was the case though it does mean the stoneage will have to get somewhat close still so it could buff the unit. still, I just thought it worth putting forward my line of thinking as if it was a hybrid hero it would mean the lumineth have 1 full caster in the Scinari, 1 full melee mosnter in the spirit of thre mountain and then the stonemage acting as the hybrid creating a much better hero balance and matching the way the named heroes are being presented, Teclis full mage, Alavalnor as pure melee and Eltharion described as a hybrid.

Edited by Yuviel Lightbringer
  • Like 1

The stone mage in that AOS novel is depicted as giving the accompying stone guard some sort of buff where they felt as heavy as stone with their mountain stance, so perhaps the stone mage is more like the Tidecaster in which she's seen as a buffing caster unit for the race.  It could also be like Bonereapers where their multiple wizard heroes each have differing roles too

Might be nothing but I was going through the model photos again and the difference in colour scheme between the basic “troop” choices and the mountain troops is pronounced.

the dominant cloth colour for the troops is creamy and warm, whereas for the mountain hammer dudes and mage, it’s much more cold and grey.

Just seems like further indication to expect (in the far future) other castes of warriors, who will be dominant in blue or white, to play alongside the more universal troop beige.

Food for thought is all....

• Like 2

I have to say, even after weeks I am still a little miffed at the lack of a melee focused non-named hero that isn’t a behemoth.. not even sure if the non-named mountain cows are hero’s or just a unit.

Also even after weeks (has it even been weeks? It feels like months) I’m still dying for this release.

• Like 2

The lack of a normal melee hero is unusual for sure. 

I guess they might think the unit champions are a bit like that. They also put all of them as leaders in the Warcry band which is afaik unusual. Of course they are not the same thing a stand alone unit hero. 

What I'm interested in is if this is connected to the Lumineth lore. Very often these characters are like noble champions (kings, princesses, generals with an aristocratic background), but maybe that thing is not there anymore in the Lumineth society. So champions connected to their unit, and mystical mages might make more sense for a Teclis faction. Of course that doesn't mean they couldn't have made a melee hero (and a lore was 100% not the reason why it didn't happen), but it might fit in the end. It might have just been something to make the faction a bit distinctive from others, so that not most follow the same formula. 

Or it could also have something to do with the possible Tyrion faction in the future, 100% will be more melee focused that Teclis one. 

And yeah, really hopefully this Sunday will bring our announcement. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

The lack of a normal melee hero is unusual for sure. 

I guess they might think the unit champions are a bit like that. They also put all of them as leaders in the Warcry band which is afaik unusual. Of course they are not the same thing a stand alone unit hero. 

What I'm interested in is if this is connected to the Lumineth lore. Very often these characters are like noble champions (kings, princesses, generals with an aristocratic background), but maybe that thing is not there anymore in the Lumineth society. So champions connected to their unit, and mystical mages might make more sense for a Teclis faction. Of course that doesn't mean they couldn't have made a melee hero (and a lore was 100% not the reason why it didn't happen), but it might fit in the end. It might have just been something to make the faction a bit distinctive from others, so that not most follow the same formula. 

Or it could also have something to do with the possible Tyrion faction in the future, 100% will be more melee focused that Teclis one. 

And yeah, really hopefully this Sunday will bring our announcement. 

This is really interesting. I have been thinking that, perhaps, some of those champions can act not only as leaders of their units, but as hero options on their own. For example, with the Sanguinary Guard in WH40K, you can turn one of the 5 miniatures into an "ancient", which is a character, and not part of the unit. This would solve the problem of few warscrolls and allow for some cool conversions of said champions to make them look as characters, instead of leaders of their units. However, given that unit sizes in AoS are less flexible than in 40K (So if you take 1 warden out of your unit of 10 you are effectively handicapping yourself without any reduction in points) , I don't think that this is going to be the case, but would love to see it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaliontil said:

This is really interesting. I have been thinking that, perhaps, some of those champions can act not only as leaders of their units, but as hero options on their own. For example, with the Sanguinary Guard in WH40K, you can turn one of the 5 miniatures into an "ancient", which is a character, and not part of the unit. This would solve the problem of few warscrolls and allow for some cool conversions of said champions to make them look as characters, instead of leaders of their units. However, given that unit sizes in AoS are less flexible than in 40K (So if you take 1 warden out of your unit of 10 you are effectively handicapping yourself without any reduction in points) , I don't think that this is going to be the case, but would love to see it.

True, this is absolutely possible. FEC is a great example of this, and I’m not going to lie, I didn’t like it for my FEC and I wouldn’t love it here. It just makes things awkward when buying kits, but hey. If that is the case, then suddenly we have the potential for a lot more warscrolls and it certainly wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:37 PM, DantePQ said:

I doubt unit champions are heroes with their own warscroll. I am certain from battle reports that they just act as one - they cast spells, use abilities kind of like Mortek Hekatos. 

I hope you’re right.

Do you guys think we’re getting preorder announcement this weekend?

1 hour ago, OkayestDM said:

I certainly hope so, but with everything being what it is right now I wouldn't dare bet on it.

Well they sure seem to be pushing 40k more these last few weeks. It bloody sucks that we seem to have been forgotten to the point where we went for almost two weeks without a single mention of AoS.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

Well they sure seem to be pushing 40k more these last few weeks. It bloody sucks that we seem to have been forgotten to the point where we went for almost two weeks without a single mention of AoS.

I was surprised by that as well, but I imagine that they had to completely rework their reveals and content due to covid. Most companies have their timeline for such things prepared months in advance, and the uncertain nature of our present climate means that they've probably had to shuffle reveals and articles around last minute to fit the new developing release schedule. There were bound to be some hiccups, and with 9th edition being the next big thing, it makes sense that it would take priority.

Don't get me wrong, the silence was vexing, but I'm sure they're doing the best they can with the hand they've been dealt, and I'm determined to be gracious about it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

I was surprised by that as well, but I imagine that they had to completely rework their reveals and content due to covid. Most companies have their timeline for such things prepared months in advance, and the uncertain nature of our present climate means that they've probably had to shuffle reveals and articles around last minute to fit the new developing release schedule. There were bound to be some hiccups, and with 9th edition being the next big thing, it makes sense that it would take priority.

Don't get me wrong, the silence was vexing, but I'm sure they're doing the best they can with the hand they've been dealt, and I'm determined to be gracious about it.

I think we all understand that, but that wouldn't have prevented them from throwing out an article here and there in the last two weeks, or just let us know when it's our turn. That's just their decision to do it like that. In some respect GW does a really great job, all the extra content they have organized with their hobby hangout vids for example. But I really don't like their information policy concerning new releases. I guess they have some kind of data basis for doing it like that, but still. 

Let's see what today brings. 

• Like 4