Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HollowHills

Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

Lumineth's hero ratio seem somewhat familiar with the Ossiarch's where they have 5/9 characters being unique, 6/9 being mages and 1/9 being a non unique non mage hero. That being said they do have 8 non hero units to our 4-5 depending if the diamond pick hammer dude option is something more. Hopefully we have some interesting dual kits to flesh it out more.

16 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Not only is Lumineth one of the smaller factions, as has been discussed endlessly, the distribution of warscrolls is really weird. Unless there's some details we haven't seen, there's more hero warscrolls than unit warscrolls

That’s not really too weird though is it? Several factions in the game are really hero-heavy, take Flesh-eater courts (8 heroes, 5 units) or Fyreslayers (10 heroes, 3! Units) for example. 

• Haha 1

I think the weirdness is the fact that you’re almost forced to take a special character, and I’m just getting into Warhammer after a long hiatus, and last I played fantasy battles, you needed special permission to field one of them! I’ve never been a fan of special characters in my rosters because it pressures me to win (how could teclis LOSE???), and so I’ve always preferred to lead my armies with no name, fallible, generals. And I’m a little disappointed that I’ll just have a choice between two mages (one of whom might just be a support unit)...

still I’m loving 90% of the range, and have always loved fielding massed ranks of core troops with few elite choices, so I’m DELIGHTED with the spearman, cavalry and archer models, might do a simple head swap job on the rock page (I’m okaaaaaaaay with the helmet but the face looks a bit derpy but that could just be the paint job) and the few elites I’ll have (stoneguard). I like the battle cattle giants, but I don’t imagine them being in my army.

i kind of prefer playing the massed ranks of nobodies because it makes winning or losing more fun (general soldiers defeating the elite enemies/holding out against overwhelming forces). So even if nothing new gets added for a while yet, I’m still pumped to join the AoS train...!

• Like 7

Thematically it fits really well that Teclis faction heroes are mostly wizards. 

Let’s hope it’s not too limiting during game play though. Hopefully the little unit heroes help a bit in that respect. 

3 hours ago, ArchaicArc said:

I think the weirdness is the fact that you’re almost forced to take a special character, and I’m just getting into Warhammer after a long hiatus, and last I played fantasy battles, you needed special permission to field one of them! I’ve never been a fan of special characters in my rosters because it pressures me to win (how could teclis LOSE???), and so I’ve always preferred to lead my armies with no name, fallible, generals. And I’m a little disappointed that I’ll just have a choice between two mages (one of whom might just be a support unit)...

Wow that is a long hiatus! welcome back, and I hope your games are pretty good!

and I agree, That is the biggest hang-up I have with this faction so far. MAYBE they will show more, cause heck we don't even have terrain right now unless you count the mooooving mountains. 

Still, I am probably going to just consume everything GW will throw out me, but it would be nice to have a bit more.

Posted (edited)

Been following the Topic and Lumineth news in general for quite a while now (HE were my first "proxy" Army back then) and while i like what has been released  so far: the Model Range feels somehow incomplete atm, tho the consensus seems to be that we have seen all models by now. Even with the mountain theme in mind i do miss the Dragon/Phoenix style Monster and ballista-style warmachine quite a lot..

Edited by godhand
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

Lumineth's hero ratio seem somewhat familiar with the Ossiarch's where they have 5/9 characters being unique, 6/9 being mages and 1/9 being a non unique non mage hero. That being said they do have 8 non hero units to our 4-5 depending if the diamond pick hammer dude option is something more. Hopefully we have some interesting dual kits to flesh it out more.

I think the extra Ossiarch  units make a big difference in the feel of the faction.  I also personally barely count Vomkortian or Zandtos as part of the roster, but I can see your point in counting them.

12 hours ago, Falkman said:

That’s not really too weird though is it? Several factions in the game are really hero-heavy, take Flesh-eater courts (8 heroes, 5 units) or Fyreslayers (10 heroes, 3! Units) for example. 

Flesh Eater Courts don't have the named hero problem, and have excellent variety in what their generic heroes do. Fyreslayers are (IMO, at least), basically the definition of a problem faction--they have precisely one model that isn't a naked dwarf of some variety, and it's a mount for a naked dwarf instead. Their issues go way deeper than warscrolls (and they certainly exist at the warscroll level).

Also, I'd like to point out in response to both of these comments that saying there are multiple instances of a problem existing doesn't make the problem less bad. It just makes it wider spread. This is just reinforcing my opinion that GW needs to go back and add more waves to existing factions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a feeling they are just holding back a second release with Tyrion leading a phoenix/dragon sun faction.

Alright so, tonight is the night we’ll get to know what’s on for pre-order next week I’m pretty sure. I’m going to guess it’ll be the Lumineth Battle Box and/or the Engine War Psychic Awakening book for 40k.

From the looks of it, I think it's going to be Engine War/the Zoat and Aeronautica Imperialis stuff (that is what was previewed in the banner with the announcement of the re-start of the factory). The battle-box will probably hit the shelves by the 13th of June, but it would be fantastic to be wrong!

On 5/23/2020 at 2:36 AM, Falkman said:

Lumineth aren't even particularly hero heavy though. They just barely have any warscrolls period. (4 units, 6 heroes, 3 named characters) You can't call a faction with extremely limited hero options hero-heavy, they're just all around small from what we know so far. The only thing they are heavy on is Special Characters.

• Thanks 1

We could still see the return of Sky-cutters, Dragon Princes, et al, to flesh out the faction.  They can all fit one of the aspects.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

We could still see the return of Sky-cutters, Dragon Princes, et al, to flesh out the faction.  They can all fit one of the aspects.

I would love it for the Sky cutter to return.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

I would love it for the Sky cutter to return.

Yes, it would be great.  It is a lovely model, not that old, and, I think, stands up well with the new range.  Also. I haven't got one.

4 minutes ago, valenswift said:

No Army box this week 😪

My wallet breathes a sigh of relief! I have at least another week to sell off some stuff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, valenswift said:

No Army box this week 😪

Yesssssss.... one more week for a chance for new stuff!

15 hours ago, madmac said:

Lumineth aren't even particularly hero heavy though. They just barely have any warscrolls period. (4 units, 6 heroes, 3 named characters) You can't call a faction with extremely limited hero options hero-heavy, they're just all around small from what we know so far. The only thing they are heavy on is Special Characters.

3 named characters also don't sound like something special. It's just that the Lumineth are generally a small army if there isn't more. Like you say.

I have the feeling most people would not complain about more heroes or named characters, as long as it's exactly the one they'd like to see. I personally would love to have another fire/light themed wizard hero for example. And I know some would like to have a Loremaster type, and most, including me, definitely a general hero on a steed. 

It's a small range, so many of us, like me, were thinking there is more. Because GW for a long time implied there would be. When they showed us the Mountain sub-culture units they said things  like "just scratched the surface" etc., and it looks like the only thing at that point we hadn't been aware of were the Endless Spells (and the full model of the Scinari Cathaller). 

I'm content, but I like mages and think a wizard hero heavy factions fits well with Teclis. But I hope they still have a small number of models at least a few months down the road. Otherwise we can just hope that the options are not too limiting on builds and play styles. 

• Like 2

Purely from the models, we have all the bases covered with the core troops, some cav, some shooting and a solid backbone with spears. To add we have some mages, elite infantry and battle cattle. This would lead every army to have to be melee focussed, unless we get more. I can not think of an army that gets its core parts from battleline (except naked dwarfs maybe), the defining features are usually in the elites or heroes. And we don't have a lot of choice there, as of yet. Don't get me wrong, i like what we have so far, i just hope they add a few more units for  varied gameplay options.

Haha - tell me about Battleline :D
My Ex-Wanderer Allegiance Army is now ALL Battleline: The Ex-Glade Guard being Freeguild Crossbows, the Wildwood Rangers, the EternalGuard, the Sisters of the Watch, even the Sisters of the Thorn are all labeled Battleline. Listbuilding feels dull at times to be honest. However Cities of Sigmar is an odd special case of a Battletome.

What Armies are defined by Elites and Heroes in your view? To my untrained Eye the Armies in AoS vary so much that one Factions Elite is another factions screening Unit and vice versa.^^ Which is such a nice flavour in AoS :)
I was honestly expecting for the Vanari Auralan Wardens to cost at least 160! I am itching for some Warscroll reveals 😬

In many factions,  the choice of General opens up Elite units for that army as Battleline.  I like this direction that GW has taken.  I don't find it makes listbuilding dull, but adds to the diversity and challenge.  For many armies choice of General makes a big difference in the way your army will function and allowing elites to be battleline helps to create the type of army you wish to field.  Of course, there are some armies like Ironjawz, where all troop units are battleline, but they are in the minority (possibly of one?).  I like this system.

Have we heard about any stat lines of the Alarith Stoneguard yet ? I’ve heard they get a 3+ save and immune to x rend but have 1 wound or something. Believe they are our cheapest unit so far at 100 points?  Are they meant to be the elite unit for the army ?

perhaps the intention of GW is to make the armies small to encourage buying of multiple armies? and actually from that perspective maybe its not a problem that a particular army only has one distinct play style as if you want to play in another way you just get another army :) So if you instead take the view point of playing "aelves" and just view Lumineth as a special case of that, just like Idoneth or DoK  you are still good to go. After all most competitive lists don't really see that much variation in units anyways >.< (*cough* morrsarr....)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, woolf said:

perhaps the intention of GW is to make the armies small to encourage buying of multiple armies? 

That can't be true. I started collecting again in 2016 and I've only got  Stormcast, Idoneth, Sylvaneth, Kharadron, Daughters of Khaine, Cities of Sigmar, AdMech armies (not to mention a realm of battle game board, lots of terrain Warcry and warbands, BlitzBowl and teams, Underworlds and warbands and Kill Team)

🤣🤣

• Haha 3