Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

7 minutes ago, Xil said:

Only thing I dislike is the helmet on those hammer warriors. But a head swap or some cutting will do wonders and they look awesome that way. 

I hope I can ally them with either my DoK or Sylvaneth to give me reason to get just some of this army 

Pretty much what i thought, the hammerers heads need reworking, the cow spirit i actually like in a wierd way ^^ i just hope we get another type of elite infantry, i got a bunch of SCE to play hammertime already..

What can we still expect for the Lumineth? Another mage / hero is already seen, so what is still possible?

I hope for somekind of bolthrower, heavy cavalry and a dragon. Although it seems that somekind of dragonesque creature is very unlikely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

What can we still expect for the Lumineth? Another mage / hero is already seen, so what is still possible?

I hope for somekind of bolthrower, heavy cavalry and a dragon. Although it seems that somekind of dragonesque creature is very unlikely.

No one knows for sure. You can see that even people who have been following AOS the whole time are split on this.

On the one hand even in this preview video and the article they mention things like “just have tipped our toes” etc., so it could be a huge range. On the other hand everything detailed they have ever said so far and all the rumour engine pictures have been only about the mountain faction, with the likely exception of the veiled mage. They also swing sharply from talking a lot about Tyrion to not mentioning him at all like in video yesterday. 

Personally, I think Tyrion must be in this faction, and we will see a Phoenix-dragon kind of spirit. But I have become less sure of it being with this release. GW already told us that there is a Sun Spirit, even gave it a rune and have plastered the Lumineth with Phoenix symbols.
Both of the other spirits which have had the same kind of attention (runes etc.) have been shown already. It would be really strange if some kind of Phoenix or winged creature wouldn’t come.

Also from a marketing perspective - I can’t imagine they won’t have something big on their hand for last. It would be really strange if they tell us next week, here is a generic mage and a generic hero and that’s it. 

But how much there will be is anyone’s guess, from maybe another 2, 3 models to all 4 elemental cultures being fully fledged out, anything is possible. 

9 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

See, no offense, but when I see this crop of the Stoneguard, I have to ask why you wanted to play aelves, because those aren't aelves.  Those are cultured beatmen dressed like aelves.  And that's cool.  I like that concept, just not in the army that is supposed to be the successor to the Asur of Ulthuan.

I'm starting to agree with the guys from Warhammer Weekly the more I ruminate on these guys.  At this point, I hope we don't get Tyrion in this army.  I hope he gets his own faction with dragons and phoenixes.

What did the guys from Warhammer Weekly say ?

Edited by Maturin

7 minutes ago, Maturin said:

See, no offense, but when I see this crop of the Stoneguard, I have to ask why you wanted to play aelves, because those aren't aelves. 

It's not you who decide about that. As long as you're obnoxiously smug, you can look however you want - you're still an Aelf. So much of this fuss is not because the faction looks bad (it doesn't), but because some people can't stand that something doesn't look 100% like they imagined. Ossiarch Bonereapers  didn't teach them.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, michu said:

It's not you who decide about that. As long as you're obnoxiously smug, you can look however you want - you're still an Aelf. So much of this fuss is not because the faction looks bad (it doesn't), but because some people can't stand that something doesn't look 100% like they imagined. Ossiarch Bonereapers  didn't teach them.

Why are you quoting me with something I didn't say ? What are you responding to ?

I think calling something bull ****** (as Warhammer Weekly did) because they don't like it is bad. You don't like it - that's bad but I think those Lumineth have more in common with old High Elves then possible reimagine of Aelves into Light Aelves etc. 

You don't have to buy Stonewardens and Stoneguard and you will be able to build army around - cavalery, spearelves, Eltharion, archers and even easily kitbash Stoneguard(if they aren't dual kit) into swordmasters. There is a lot of variety noone forces anybody to use Stonewardens. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I think calling something bull ****** (as Warhammer Weekly did) because they don't like it is bad. You don't like it - that's bad but I think those Lumineth have more in common with old High Elves then possible reimagine of Aelves into Light Aelves etc. 

You don't have to buy Stonewardens and Stoneguard and you will be able to build army around - cavalery, spearelves, Eltharion, archers and even easily kitbash Stoneguard(if they aren't dual kit) into swordmasters. There is a lot of variety noone forces anybody to use Stonewardens. 

I agree wit this sentiment entirely,  I myself will use my unit of white lions to represent the stoneguard when the army comes out instead of the models unless it turns out they are a dual-kit.

But even then I may get some anyway and run both units alongside each other.

19 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Coming from a SCE perspective, wide range of units does not mean you're going to be playing them, from a competitive point of view ,SCE players only play a few units.
Let's say those moomineth are the really competitive ones and everything else is just moooot, then you're stuck with either not playing this army even if you were really into them (I like the core archers/cavalry for ex, they fit quite well with the former HE, but you don't win a game relying on liberators) or accept to play with units that might not fit your standards of beauty.

Edited by Maturin
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can totally I understand why some people don’t like the look of them. To be honest at first I also thought that the Stoneguard helmets are a bit too much (but really AoSy). I actually have come to really like them, especially if you look at them not on those black/white backgrounds. 

I don’t really understand the “these are not elves” POV. Many of the things we love and associate with our Warhammer Elves like Dragons, Phoenixes and White Lions also had no real prior or inherent connection to them. Warhammer made them so. And in AoS they decided they want to add an ox theme to that. But the basic story behind it, being close to the land, raising spirits by magical song and so forth, is very similar to Warhammer Fantasy. 

They clearly wanted to blend traditional HE elements and new, genuine AoS elements, to ground the Lumineth in the new setting and start a new tradition of what it means to be an elf in Warhammer. That’s also the theme of the Aelves for Wealth video they showed. 

Many aspects even of the Stoneguard is a clear reference to the old HE. The robes, the general form of the helmets, the look of the armour, the poise.

I really hope that we see some winged helmets and a nice flying spirit monster so that more of people will enjoy the faction, but I think what they have done so far is pretty awesome. 

5F6DAF14-991A-45D6-9BDA-74654E3BB1C5.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Coming from a SCE perspective, wide range of units does not mean you're going to be playing them, from a competitive point of view SCE players only play a few units.
Let's say those moomineth are the really competitive ones and everything else is just moooot, then you're stuck with either not playing this army even if you were really into them (I like the core archers/cavalry for ex, they fit quite well with the former HE) or accept to play with units that might not fit your standards of beauty.

how is it different for almost every army in AoS ? 

You can't really play 100% Snake DoK army as it isn't as good as Witches, you can't play monster mash Deepkin etc, even if you liked Hedonites stuff you couldn't play balanced force and had to use 2+ Keepers. 

Sure if you want netlist there is a chance it will use models you don't wanna like and even if you do you don't want to spam one unit (for examle Dawnriders) but competitive gaming is about netlist I've won tournaments (one dayers ) with Aspect of Sea and won 60 players 2 dayer using Aspect of Storm - both are regarded not very competitive. 

Also went 4-1 at Heat 1 last year with Blood Sister heavy, Morathi-less DoK army losing only close battle in final round vs eventual champion. You can work a lot of units that arent 100% efficent competitive wise into you army and still go 4-1 or even 5-0.  Sure it won't be as easy as using netlist but it's possible.  

I think you can easily go with pure Aelves build add some Cities of Sigmar High Elves units like Phoenix Guard, Phoenixes, Shadow Warriors and make it quite good to go to tournaments and go 3-2 for example. If you want to compete on highest level in majority of cases you got to use units you don't want (or for sure in numbers you don't want) nonetheless.  

The cow spirits are growing on me I think, but the stone guard less so, mostly because of how much better they look in some of the mock ups with plumes in this thread.  It occurs to me, aesthetics aside, that they’re also going to be a pain to transport with the helmets as they are. 

There’s no way this is the whole range though- I think they’re just showing off the mountain aspect at the moment and I’m willing to bet there’ll be at least one more aspect from the start- the veiled lady might be the mage for the wind aspect for example.

For some baseless speculation, I think they’ve laid out the faction with the three core units (spears, archers and cavalry) with Teclis and Eltharion as all rounders. Then for each of the 4 aspects there’ll be a fighty hero or spirit, a mage and an elite unit, either at release or planned down the line. 

Wishful thinking? Maybe, but I think it’s feasible that we could see 3 out of 4 aspects at release:

Mountain: Spirit of the mountain, stonemage and stoneguard.

Wind: Unseen combat hero, veiled lady, mounted archers (dual kit with dawn riders)

Rivers: Unseen combat hero (dual kit with wind hero). Unseen mage, elite unit (dual kit with stoneguard)

That only needs two more as yet unrevealed kits to achieve (the river mage and a combat hero) with the rest coming from the other half of dual kits we’ve already seen- a big release but not that different to ossiarchs (11 kits including the one in feast of bones, we’ve seen 9 so far for lumineth).

If this is a whopper of a release we may yet still see Tyrion and the zenith aspect but it’s feeling unlikely. Or they could be making Phoenix temple units the Zenith units (possibly with a redesigned Phoenix given that banner, or a new mage) allowing all 4 aspects from the start- which would explain why they were the only old high elves to stick around. 

Again, pure baseless speculation, but I reckon it’s possible! 

• Like 1

I was going to write a text wall but decided it's pointless.

Bottom line people who loves the model as is : buy it and enjoy them. People who doesn't but want to convert them : do it. People who don't like them : Don't buy them.

Everyone will do whatever they want to do. The Hobby is a personal matter. I like the core units and Eltharion. I hope Tyrion and the rest of the range if there is one, will be better suiting my taste that what I saw until now.

Maturin out, see you around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been following the teasers since the first announcement and saving money for the eventual release, but it's been a strange process. It goes like this:

Step 1) I get all hyped imagining what the models will look like

Step 2) The release is shown and it is nothing like I imagined

Step 3) I go to bed that night thinking "well I'm not collecting those"

Step 4) I wake up the next day, look at the models again and think "Actually these guys look fantastic!"

Is anyone else going through this process or am I developing schizophrenia??

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Coming from a SCE perspective, wide range of units does not mean you're going to be playing them, from a competitive point of view ,SCE players only play a few units.
Let's say those moomineth are the really competitive ones and everything else is just moooot, then you're stuck with either not playing this army even if you were really into them (I like the core archers/cavalry for ex, they fit quite well with the former HE, but you don't win a game relying on liberators) or accept to play with units that might not fit your standards of beauty.

^^ This. If someone dont like the stoneaspect, fine, there will most likely be 3 more plus the unaliagned core. 

I had someone say he had hoped that Lumineth would be closer to the Elves of old, "like the Idoneth are." Which I found strange as everything we got before yesterday was considerably less weird than almost everything we got got the Idoneth or the Daughters of Khaine. 

So here a quick comparison to show how close the non-mountain units are to the old Asur:

comp.png.7474c79e94de3c8506c6f400c6cb113f.png

• Like 2