Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

I sat on it for a few days, I think the reason i dislike the sentinel's helmets is due to the orginal depction be cooler (in my eyes)

pic 1.jpg

sentinel 1.jpg

but the difference might not seem so bad with different colours. I think i will wait for the actual models for further judgements...

Edited by Turin Turambar
added stuff

I just like how the helmet fits a Bronze Age aesthetic while in keeping with the Greco-Roman style of the troops and riders.

i love how they are mixing this style with eastern stuff too. It really is a mash up of armies from ‘enlightened philosophie’ countries like ancient China and Greece!

• Like 3

I'm really surprised that many people have issues with the look of the Lumineth (not meaning that they are wrong, as art is personal, just surprised). 

I think they did an awesome job with bringing the High Elves to AoS. The core troops are all reminiscent of the old militia troops with a bit of an AoE twist. Even those archer helmets which seem to be controversial are like that. I still have old HE archer models which similar looking helmets The Lumineth ones are just a bit more fantastical  and look better in my view.

And the heroes are more genuine AoS. I like that blend. It also offers some surprises. Who would have thought the new HE have a Stonemage? Or a sphinx. 

Speaking of the Stonemage, the model is great: The calm poise in connection with the over-the-topness of the "seat". The staff looks awesome. 

Really well done composition of old HE  and new AoS elements. It's like Teclis was thinking, hmm now that I'm finally in charge, let's make some changes: First things first, let's get rid of the ****** robes for mages, I'm so sick of wearing robes. Ok, done. (looks  at his Lumineth). I guess, that's pretty much it, after all we always were almost perfect. Maybe add some plums here and there? (Looks around). Hmm, we might not really fit in with the local crowd. How about adding some runes, that not only looks nifty, but will also help with control.. bonding with locals. Ok, ok, looks good. Still, we are not quite there yet ...  . Hey, Stonemages, add some horns to your helmets .... and make them big! Perfect!

Totally agree with @Acid_Nine . It's a good mix, and HE also always had some elements of these before. It also harkens back to the HE. 

The lore also seems to be more interesting. Can't wait to have the BT in my hands.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

I just like how the helmet fits a Bronze Age aesthetic while in keeping with the Greco-Roman style of the troops and riders.

i love how they are mixing this style with eastern stuff too. It really is a mash up of armies from ‘enlightened philosophie’ countries like ancient China and Greece!

I had a feeling they were going with inspiration from the mashup of cultures that Alexander's Successor Kingdoms were, and it's nice to see some more Eastern influence too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Don't know if everyone saw the announcement, but Adepticon has been cancelled.  This is especially sad news for the Lumineth, as this is going to change how they do the final reveal.

I’m 90% sure they are going to release something on the same day anyways, just to keep hype up. Nurgle May have won adepticon this year, but he cannot win against gamer’s need for more models!

• Like 1

If you didn't plan to attend the event, it might not make that much of a difference. For me it basically makes only the difference between refreshing the Warhammer Community website or Twitch every 5 seconds. 

They can still show the release video and all the articles, either in the same way via a lowdown on Monday, or stream some kind of release event.

It could be that it actually will shine more of a light on the Lumineth, because during Adpeticon they apparently planned to reveal a whole lot of things (40k, TV related etc.), while I guess this will be more stretched out now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

I disagree, they don't look Bronze age style to me, bronze age helmets don't have the side panels.  they look more like classical/iron age  greek or old high elf  helmets mixed with the knights helmet in Albrecht Dürer´s painting "The Knight, death and the devil" (see picture below) mixed with chinese helmets (for the decoration) and also alittle eldar influence (the art work especially reminds me of eldar wraith constructs' heads)

I think they fit in well with the mix that is the Lumineth, just not sure I like them personally (like I said tho, I want to try reserve judgement for later)

atleast that how they feel to me, with the greek style cheak plates, the chinese style plume, and the large sloping side pannels.

Durerhelmet.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

I disagree, they don't look Bronze age style to me, bronze age helmets don't have the side panels.  they look more like classical/iron age  greek or old high elf  helmets mixed with the knights helmet in Albrecht Dürer´s painting "The Knight, death and the devil" (see picture below) mixed with chinese helmets (for the decoration) and also alittle eldar influence (the art work especially reminds me of eldar wraith constructs' heads)

I think they fit in well with the mix that is the Lumineth, just not sure I like them personally (like I said tho, I want to try reserve judgement for later)

atleast that how they feel to me, with the greek style cheak plates, the chinese style plume, and the large sloping side pannels.

Durerhelmet.jpg

I was more thinking of the examples on the bottom of this pdf, which has that little curly portion on top of it, which the archers look like they have. Plus, though a lot fancier, they seem to have cheek guards too. but, I may be confusing ages myself, and not know when those helmets came into popularity

http://hixenbaugh.net/otherfiles/Ancient Greek Helmets.PDF

• Like 1

I passionately hate elves as a typical fantasy cliché, and I've been holding of on starting another army. My legions of nagash/nighthaunt army is nearly finished and I started a gloom spite and khorne army, but something about these elves really does it for me. Especially the archers, really hope they do an archer hero and another ranger unit smiler to the shadow blades. 

All in all, another army I probably won't finish :) good job yet again GW

@Dollface A mobile cavalry chaff unit like the old Ellyrian Reavers would be awesome!  Maybe with some sort of ambush rule....

So I had a thought while discussing Phoenix Guard in the Rumours Thread.  Supposing the Lumineth can ally with Cities of Sigmar, does anyone think we'll be getting a better anvil unit than Phoenix Guard?  Do we want a better anvil, or a different play style in general?

From a playstyle perspective, I want a character who functions as a scalpel, a glass cannon that can remove pretty much anything as long as it gets the charge.  Sort of like Idoneth Morrsarr, but a character instead of a unit.

I don’t think the Lumineth get something on par with the Phoenix Guard in general, but can imagine that Warden of the mountain sub-culture (or with a mountain buff) and with a Stonemage nearby could be something similar. The most logical unit for something like that would be in the mountain sub-culture. And that Hammer unit looks more like an ... um.. hammer than an anvil.

Totally agree on the glass cannon. Swordmaster could fit that, or some elite cavalry we haven’t seen yet. I think HE will get one unit at least that if you play it right (timing and buffs) can do such things.

Sad about Adepticon, but well done GW. That’s actually scheduled so that most people even in Asia who usually can’t follow this stuff live can do it this time. Looking forward to it. But it could mean in a worst case scenario the Lumineth reveal gets spilt, and you won’t know finally about Tyrion until April 4th.

And it means we likely get another lowdown before the 28th, RIGHT? (Eye twitch)

• Haha 1

Do they really have to drag out the previews? It was all going to be revealed at once at AdeptiCon, why do they have to spread it out? GW really like to tease the orifices. 

At least they are doing it online after all, looking forward to seeing some sweet new Lumineth.

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

You haven't even voiced the most terrifying thought.   They may spread the reveal out over both sessions, just to torture us that last little bit more.  The only upside is that we will probably finally start being able to buy models in April.

Although it could have been worse I suppose.  They could have done our reveal on April 1st, and left us wondering if this was all an elaborate hoax...

• Like 1