Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Okay so back in fantasy battles I hated the look of high elves. Dark elves were way cooler, and they could not compete with dinosaurs riding dinosaurs for cool factor. Literally preferred anything to high elves. Lions? Gah spear men? Ugh 

but after looking at high elves reimagined in an AOS style... ngl they looking FINE! Guess they just needed one or two new things to look cool in my eyes

first of all I love me some shield walls, so my battle line is already picked out. Teclis is by far my favourite god model so far. I desperately hope we get more Sphinx lookin aspects of hysh for characters to ride, I’ll buy that in a heart beat.

like the look of the horses but not my cup of tea gameplay wise (not a huge Calvary user, only ones I like table top wise are enlightened... which aren’t really traditional Calvary.) 

im hoping for giant eagles, or sphinxes (I LOVE THAT MONSTER AS MUCH AS THE WARHAMMER GIANT GAWD DAMMIT, PLZ LET IT HAVE A REGULAR VERSION AND NKT BE TECLIS EXCLUSIVE) 

i want an infantry heavy list with monster support of some kind. Dragons, Sphinx (oh god plz) or eagles (preferable over dragons depending on type.) I also hope this book isn’t super hero reliant as I like books who sprinkle heroes (except for tzeentch, I love spamming wizards lol)

my wallet is gonna hurt... this and sons of behemat? What will I do

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The more I look at the Models the more I like them 😁
I think it is telling that when the Deepkin came out, I almost gave in. However I didn't like the Namarti Thralls and Reavers but the Akhelian Eel Cavalry, the Allopex, the Tidecaster, Lotann and the generic King were really beautiful models.  Now it is almost the opposite: I really like the Vanari  Wardens and Dawnriders and not the rest.
Does anybody else feel like this? That you are conflicted about the aesthetics of a single Model range?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

The more I look at the Models the more I like them 😁
I think it is telling that when the Deepkin came out, I almost gave in. However I didn't like the Namarti Thralls and Reavers but the Akhelian Eel Cavalry, the Allopex, the Tidecaster, Lotann and the generic King were really beautiful models.  Now it is almost the opposite: I really like the Vanari  Wardens and Dawnriders and not the rest.
Does anybody else feel like this? That you are conflicted about the aesthetics of a single Model range?

Yes, quite often actually. =}
I like the overall design though I dislike their breastplates, those don’t look like armor but like a thick vests with too little Hard edges which define the basic shape.

yet I love Eltharions armor but I am not quite sold on the model itself ^^

Edited by JackStreicher
Spelling

@JackStreicher Ha ha ha, I had the exact opposite reaction!  I actually really like the breastplates, especially of the Dawnriders!  I like the engraved emblems on them.

The other thing I find intriguing is the champion for the Wardens.  He has a back-banner pole samurai-style along with that lantern.  I wander if he's functioning as a full command all by himself?

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

@JackStreicher Ha ha ha, I had the exact opposite reaction!  I actually really like the breastplates, especially of the Dawnriders!  I like the engraved emblems on them.

The other thing I find intriguing is the champion for the Wardens.  He has a back-banner pole samurai-style along with that lantern.  I wander if he's functioning as a full command all by himself?

it‘s interesting how tastes differ :D

I assume he‘ll work like the Namartii unit leaders =}

Edited by JackStreicher
Spelling

9 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I'm looking forward to hearing about the lore.  I want to see their sub-factions and battalions.  I'm also trying to come up with a good color scheme.  I'm thinking something vaguely prismatic, with cool blues and yellows, augemented with a dash of fiery red?

I saw some color mock-ups yesterday and I think black with gold details could look pretty good, kinda like the Adeptus Custodes Shadowkeepers. 

Beige and teal will be the colour pallet.

9 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I don't feel conflicted. I don't like the model for Teclis but the rest is pretty neat and want to see the rest of the line. There was an interest from my side for the Deepkin, but the ordinary infantry is simply not elfin to me, the elites and heroes are nice but in the end I think that's not enough of a reason for me.

5 hours ago, Gecktron said:

I saw some color mock-ups yesterday and I think black with gold details could look pretty good, kinda like the Adeptus Custodes Shadowkeepers. 

It would be interesting to see these mockups, any chance you can post them here? Or link them? 

All I know is I think I have a recipe for gold / copper  down pretty well, and I plan on having every weapon like that. (white primer, Averland Sunset Yellow base, Hasut copper / Dwarf bronze, agrax earthshade over the weapon. it gives a nice reddish copper / gold that would be great on a weapon.)

Other than that, I am torn on colors. I think I will wait for more info before I start planning, but I love purple so 90% sure i'm going to have it somewhere. Other than that, I'm sure that apothecary white contrast could work wonders, or I could do the same with my idoneth and use a strong shade like Celia Greenshade to stain it a nice colour.

So after unpacking this preview I've decided that I rather like this re-imagining of the High Elves.

Wardens: I love the look. They appear to be a wonderfully detailed kit, and importantly a not too over-the-top reboot of classic HIgh Elf spearmen. The faction needed these to be great (to allude to classic high elves) but not crazy wondrous and I feel like GW struck that balance perfectly. 

The Dawnrider Knights: Similar to the Spear men I really enjoy the look of the riders, though I wish the mounts of the Dawnriders were more fantastical/wondrous. As the reveal article said, Aelven cavalry has always been a big deal to their representations in the lore, and on the table. I think these miniatures are a spot on upgrade to the old Silverhelms, and Ellyrion Reaver miniature, but there is a problem with that. Those classic models were meant to be somewhat generic, to help them contrast with the Dragonprinces cavalry. I'm not sure how large this AOS factions release will be. I can image 2-4 heroes we haven't seen yet, a unit of archers, an elite foot unit. But The idea of all that plus a more elite cavalry unit seems unlikely to me. I worry that these dawnriders as the presumed main cavalry/potentially only cavalry of the faction for the time being, are not fantastical enough, both in terms of miniature design and ruleset. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm concerned that this "Aelven cavalry unit" won't be able to compete with other factions cavalry,riding monsters, and dracoths, and eels.

LIght of Eltharion: This model is just about perfect in my opinion. Looks classically Elven, but has that weird high fantasy twist that has come to define Age of Sigmar. A light animated suit of armor is a cool concept and well executed here. 

Teclis & Celennar: This is one of the most Age of Sigmarfied Miniatures I have ever seen, and I think that is great. It combines the lore of the setting, with outlandish high fantasy concepts. If the Basic infantry and cavalry are meant to be more grounded, low fantasy echos of high elves, then they are contrasted beautifully by the Mage God Teclis, in all of his weird, arcane splendor. Celennar, Teclis' Mount/companion looks incredible and incredibly fun to paint. Teclis looks great as well, however, I'm disappointed that his miniature doesn't match the pose in his preview artwork, as that was incredible. That said,  I don't think this is a bad miniature, It's simply that to my tastes, the artwork was flawless and the miniature, while excellent, cannot compare. In that light I almost wish we had seen the full model first before that reveal artwork.

All told, I'm quite encouraged by what we have seen thus far and look forward to seeing the rest of this faction. If the unseen units are anything like the quality shown in these previewed miniatures, I think this faction could end up being superb. 

Edited by Athrawes
Grammer mistakes
  • Like 5

I'm looking forward to a combined arms style list.  I really loved how the old High Elves list supported itself in a version of the game that was significantly less about ability synergies.  I am optimistic from the units shown that they might be importing some of that old play style to AOS.  And who knows, maybe GW will have finally figured out a way to make elite armies conpetitive with out breaking the game (looking at you Petrifex Elite).

9 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Does anyone have a good ivory color receipe?

not really a recipie but if you have not seen already there is an ivory in the vallejo range (model color) that is really nice to work with (also generally great as an offwhite)

21 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

@woolf Thanks!  In the past I've only used GW paints, but I'm planning on venturing out of my comfort zone with this next project!

NP make sure to get yourself a wet pallet if you don't have it (also plenty on YouTube videos on how to create one), and then I promise u won't regret moving to something in droppers ^^

@woolf Actually just started using one with my Deepkin that I'm painting.  I am flabbergasted at the amount of stuff youtube has to offer tutorial-wise.  I really wish we had that kind of resource when I first got into the hobby!

@Amradiel nobody knows as of yet.  That said, there hacing been shipping containers spotted with Seraphon warscroll cards, which might indicate before the Realm Lords.  Given that we just found out the name of the faction, I'm not sure whether anyone has checked to see if anything for the Lumineth has shipped yet.

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace

Yeah I’d say Serephon are first especially as in the LVO article they said something along the lines of, “and there’s heaps more Lumineth to show off! In the meantime, Serephon are getting a new tome!” So sounds to me like they’ll be getting their tome within the next month and Lumineth will be March maybe April. 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Yeah I’d say Serephon are first especially as in the LVO article they said something along the lines of, “and there’s heaps more Lumineth to show off! In the meantime, Serephon are getting a new tome!” So sounds to me like they’ll be getting their tome within the next month and Lumineth will be March maybe April. 

Ah. Thats a shame 😊

I think the pointy aelves video is a teaser that those units will be redone. We know will be archers because of the painting. Mounted archers and swordmasters is like a for sure bet.

Bolt thrower and charriot are common aelf units. I hope we get the thrower as the stormcast have one. And there's no charriots on AoS (apart from old ones) so maybe we don't have it, but a flying charriot like the eagle one is perfect.

And then maybe Dragon and mounted heroes? Tyrion/generic hero kit on Dragon like the Ankheliam King? And what about both fenix? I wanna know!!!

• Like 1