Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

A bit disappointing, tbh. The miniatures look amazing, though. However, I don't know if we should expect an Ellyrion-like cavalry unit coming next or, instead, a Dragon Princes one. They say that Teclis taught the Dawnriders, which would imply that Tyrion has another unit of knights, perhaps heavier? However, later in the article they say that they have a more "Tyrionic" influence. Looking forward to the 9th of March!

• Like 1

Interesting that the article mentions Phoenixes for the first time, might be a subtle hint at the inclusion of Phoenix Temple. OTOH, that stylized phoenix on the banners looks nothing like the phoenixes we know, if anything it more closely resembles a long tailed sphinx with a beaked head.

• Like 2

So the article didn't say that much, but I think it confirms that Auralan is for Teclis and Vanari is for Tyrion. Especially this paragraph about heraldry

The icons on the unit’s shields, however, are intended to be something more akin to the personal pageantry of the knight carrying them. These often include stylised sun and phoenix symbols – though formally centre-aligned between the Hyshian gods, a more militaristic, Tyrionic influence is clearly prevalent. This is further emphasised by the majestic phoenix design on the Dawnriders’ fluttering banner, though Neil also ensured that Teclian moons were commonplace on the miniatures to maintain the balance between the two Lumineth deities.

More models will be shown at Adepticon right? Hoping the archers will be Vanari Auralan something and we'll get to see some brother-specific units.

edit: Just checked and phew I hope we see more Lumineth before March 25th...

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 2

I am pretty meh on the article today, but they discussed an awesome looking Calvary unit so i’m pretty happy. I like the look of these guys, and I hope they have some fun rules so I can collect a bunch of them and feed my polish winged hussar need. I also think that like the spears in the phalanx unit they must have some magical stuff to their lance tips to make the charge even stronger.

i hope there is more heavy cav stuff coming along though. I love the horse models but I would love something a lot more meaty in terms of mounts. I just hope the book doesn’t pull an idoneth and have three different class systems where rules don’t effect each other.

• Like 1

Absolutely love these models, and even more than the infantry now we have a few more angles of them (the horse with the fully extended forelimb looks a lot less goofy once you can see the full pose).

phoenix design on the banner is odd though- could be a new type of Phoenix rather than a redesign? 

1 hour ago, Azamar said:

Absolutely love these models, and even more than the infantry now we have a few more angles of them (the horse with the fully extended forelimb looks a lot less goofy once you can see the full pose).

phoenix design on the banner is odd though- could be a new type of Phoenix rather than a redesign? 

Nvm I re-reread it XD... yeah it's very odd... If that means phoenixes are getting a redesign then I am all in for it. Otherwise... did they mockingly call it a phoenix in order to not spoil anything?

Edited by JackStreicher

From a uniqueness perspective, the Aelven tie to phoenixes has always been one of the faction's selling points.  It will be interesting to see if they keep strong ties with the Phoenix Temples.

While the article didn't really say much, I do like the hints that they've dropped that Tyrion and Teclis seem to be equally invested in this faction.   I suspect that that might mean that Teclis is in charge of their more offensive armies (since he's the meddler), and Tyrion is in charge of their defenses in Hysh.  Which mirrors some cryptic comments that Whitefang had dropped a little bit ago.

Having thought about it some more, if they do want to keep Phoenix Temple for whatever reason (Since they're kind of dead-end models otherwise,) GW could pull something similar to what Mawtribes did with the Firebellies/ManEaters. Part of the faction technically, but treated culturally as outsiders who sometimes tag along rather than part of the Lumineth proper.

• Like 1

No new art, but the models look great. I love that you can adjust the angle of the lances. 

The phoenix was a bit surprising for me. When I first saw the banner and some of the symbols I thought these depict dragons. But then, in the Order of the Phoenix Temple section in COS it says that the Anointed have to do a pilgrimage to Hysh to an ashen area where a god-beast phoenix lives (or something along those lines, I don't have the book with me right now, might not be a god-beast).

So there might be some special light phoenixes in the line for the Lumineth. Especially as those seem to look different from the phoenixes we have seen so far. And likely associated with Tyrion from how it's written in the article. But that could mean - no dragons for the Lumineth. 

The rumour engine and box pictures - they also show a phoenix on top and the mountain/river rune. Could it be that the Lumineth get 2 or 4 scenery pieces like that, with different rune combinations (so far we always have seen them in pairs (mountain/river & zenith/wind)) which provide different magical bonuses? E.g. you plant your Mountain/River monolith where you want a strong defense, and your zenith/wind one where you want strong attack (or maybe increased movement or)? 

And this time they didn't even give a hint what comes next "shakes fist". Not very illuminating for the Lumineth. 

• Like 3

Keep the faith my kin!  Only a couple more weeks until the release!  That's not so bad considering we've been waiting for a proper aelven army since the start of AOS.

Honestly, I can kind of get behind the Lumineth having a more phoenix focused army.  However, I want a super phoenix, something that could go toe-to-toe and claw-to-claw with a dragon.  The Frostheart and Flamespyre Phoenixes are cool, but I want something with a little more punch!

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 3