Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

2 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Has anyone put any thought yet into doing a theme board for this army?  I was originally thinking of doing crystalline gowths with a desert base, but with all of the stone outcroppings and plant life on the models we've seen I may have to rethink that.  It might wind up representing a more Ulthuan of old style board.

@Thiagoma I agree that from an info perspective, it was a bit of a bust.  However, that Zenith Warden picture may wind up being my inspiration for my army's color scheme!

I think you could still do crystalline or some other appearance to the bases. could do them as an invading force to any other realm if you wanted. I am thinking I'll either do the naturey bases trees and stone work like they have been showing already or I might go with a lava style base. I do usually like to do snow though, and could go that way snow and ice crystals. granted I could take the base style they do for the LRL and still add snowy scenes to it.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about theming all of my AOS armies in Hysh eventually.  The over all project goal is to do one army for each Grand Alliance, with my Idoneth being the outlier force set in Aqshy.  The problem is settling on armies for each of the other Alliances, since I have always been an elf player at heart.  The good news with this project is it would let me explore the different terrain possible in Hysh.  With the Lumineth seeming to have a very pastoral nature to their bases, I could do the crystal and desert with two of the other armies, and tie in the colors I use on the bases to bring everything together.

3 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Has anyone put any thought yet into doing a theme board for this army?  I was originally thinking of doing crystalline gowths with a desert base, but with all of the stone outcroppings and plant life on the models we've seen I may have to rethink that.  It might wind up representing a more Ulthuan of old style board.

@Thiagoma I agree that from an info perspective, it was a bit of a bust.  However, that Zenith Warden picture may wind up being my inspiration for my army's color scheme!

Honestly I was thinking about terrain boards since I won best themed for armies on parade last year, and I was thinking about what to do next. I really like to tell miniature stories in my boards, rather than just set up a random “everyone pose for the camera” shot. Last year I built a Viking boat out of foam core,  covered a 2’ x 2’ board in $60 worth of Vallejo water effects, and posed my idoneth like they where wiping out a chaos fleet.

This year I’m starting to think on a more ambitious board, probably a siege style attack on a wall or a temple., depending on how the style of the army is and what I like about the fluff.

If I would like to do a siege attack, I have one idea that I may likeFor the walls I will probably be cutting up cardboard and making a grand wall as best as I can, with a siege tower in the middle of  getting skeleton or chaos troops onto the wall with the Lumineth defending, maybe with the siege weapons destroying one tower while a phalanx skewers another.

If I do the temple style, then I plan on making use of Greco-Roman Cake columns, which would provide the basis to a temple that I can make into ruins.  Believe it or not I think this would have the more work of the two, as I do not just want to use the storm vaults and call it a day. I also need to think of an “Enemy” for the guys to fight, but since I have so many skeletons I think I would go with them. I probably will use some other companies elven sceneries just to add some unique-ness to the set up that I don’t know would come from anywhere else. It would be very fun to try I think, and could lead to some fun set ups!

@Acid_Nine Blast you for giving me complicated ideas!  I was just going to do a simplely decorated board, but you had to fire up my imagination!  Just had the notion to do a tower defending one the chains keeping Slaanesh locked in place.  Now to figure out how to do the chain....

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

I officially been waiting too long, the hype wore off and I bought 2k of bonesplittas.... oops 😬 

I keep looking at other armies and like them enough to entertain the idea of buying them... then I look at all the aspects of the other models I dislike and decide to wait for LRLs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

I keep looking at other armies and like them enough to entertain the idea of buying them... then I look at all the aspects of the other models I dislike and decide to wait for LRLs.

Honestly I’m even more hype at the possibility of malerion being released soon after, so even if they came out next week I might’ve still waited. I’m not like y’all who have been waiting for years, they didn’t even cross my mind until the first reveal. They definitely look cool and I’ll be getting a Sphinx at some point tho

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Honestly I’m even more hype at the possibility of malerion being released soon after, so even if they came out next week I might’ve still waited. I’m not like y’all who have been waiting for years, they didn’t even cross my mind until the first reveal. They definitely look cool and I’ll be getting a Sphinx at some point tho

Yeah I am pretty amped about Malerion, if his army is one third dragon, elf and demon then I am on board. those will be my two armies, LRL and Malerion elves. I am mixed, I kind of want them to do a dual release so I can buy two small armies of each and play with some friends who dont have models. but at the same time I am like.... no I want them to space them out so I have time to paint my LRL first.

• Like 1

I've waited 3 years for the re-done high elves, so for me it's not that bad to wait a few more month, as I'm not interested in buying new dark elves (although I haven't seen them so who knows). 

I agree though with Thiagoma, it would be great to get at least some information on how all the fluff is implemented into mechanics.  Some concrete stuff to start a bit of mind gaming. 

In a way, this is the best of times, because of all the possibilities (Tyrion, dragons, cool monsters, angel-elves, ghost elves etc.). In the end some of us will eventually not get 100% what they wanted. 

I don't think we get Malerion soon, another order army (if not something went really awry in Ulgu) so soon after the Lumineth? And on top of this another Aelf army? He wasn't even mentioned in the new Archaon book, although there would have been an obvious place where there'd be some Malerion aelves fighting together with the Lumineth.

Eventually we'll get them, I'm sure, but probably will take a while. 

• Like 4

I'm in the same boat as @LuminethMage, if my own user name isn't hint enough.  I've been waiting for the AOS High Elf equivalent since the End Times.  I let myself settle for the Idoneth when I decided to get back into the hobby, and I still do like them, but it really took me a while to come up with a background for them that I liked.  Where as with the Lumineth, just that brief passage in Wrath of the Everchosen and brainstorming display boards with @Acid_Nine has already given me a more solid spot to make a Lumineth force that is distinctly my own, and the army is still largely a mystery.  I'm here for the long haul.

As for Malarion's Aelves, we'll have to wait and see.  I get the sense that he doesn't really care what happens to Slaanesh, he got his tithe of souls, and so he's now pursuing his own goals.  What's interesting to my mind is, for the first time, we aren't really sure what he wants or what his goals are.  In the Old World he was defined by his hatred of the High Elves and his desire for the throne of Ulthuan.  Now, he's more powerful than ever, has his entire own Realm, and has his own people to shape as he will.  The truely scary question is: what will he do next?

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

I officially been waiting too long, the hype wore off and I bought 2k of bonesplittas.... oops 😬 

Yep, just ordered another Ironjawz start collecting.  Gotta have something to do for the next couple of months.  Looking forward to the Lumineth, but the re-birth of the Druchii is what I've been waiting for more than anything (apart from Orruks -what can I say :) )

Sitting on a Vanguard SC box to trade in for a LRL preorder :( hoping they have some kind of combo/SC box... not a fan of shelling out for a dual box only to sell the other half.

I agree that a quick article every 2 weeks is not cutting it, especially since there's not really any other AOS type news?? I've been enjoying the Tau stuff from Psychic Awakening but good gods give us some meat to the AOS news. The big news for Warcry cards got such tiny blurbs that had players asking questions as to what exactly was included in the pack

• Sad 1

So I know it’s more speculation, but I will say that I hope teclis can do some amazing things in game. Just got finished played the two quest missions he had In total war warhammer 2, and with his spells alone he deleted so much of the enemy army and was able to buff his units with key spells at the right time. The image of being able to magically cast a net across an entire section of an enemy army so they can’t move while being pincushioned by archers, followed by a roaming area of effect spell that blasts everything it touches across the immobile army is just so perfect. 

Oh dice. Interesting. On the other hand, we know now that they’ll likely show us in 2 weeks, the dice and the fluff behind the numbers on them 🤪

Teclis - that would be probably the only thing which would prevent me from buying the Lumineth, if Teclis and the mages aren’t good casters in the end. I think he will be though. Agree with Korardel here, he was good for a long time in WHFB, they called him here Mage God and what not, it would be strange if he wasn’t a strong mage in the end after all that. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Teclis - that would be probably the only thing which would prevent me from buying the Lumineth, if Teclis and the mages aren’t good casters in the end. I think he will be though. Agree with Korardel here, he was good for a long time in WHFB, they called him here Mage God and what not, it would be strange if he wasn’t a strong mage in the end after all that. 

while I agree that they will probably show him and hopefully all the LRL mages some love... hopefully making him on par casting wise to Nagash at least. this is the company that talks about how eldar weapons melt all armor, flesh and harness the power of stars.... but then they give them in game 5+ to wound and AP5 weapons... sorry not to be a negative nancy, I am sure GW will give the LRL the love they deserve. and I feel like GW has gotten a lot better over the last few years in general. It's Just sometimes the company is not good at matching fluff to game play or vise versa.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

while I agree that they will probably show him and hopefully all the LRL mages some love... hopefully making him on par casting wise to Nagash at least. this is the company that talks about how eldar weapons melt all armor, flesh and harness the power of stars.... but then they give them in game 5+ to wound and AP5 weapons... sorry not to be a negative nancy, I am sure GW will give the LRL the love they deserve. and I feel like GW has gotten a lot better over the last few years in general. It's Just sometimes the company is not good at matching fluff to game play or vise versa.

Or, You know, how the entire society of the deepkin relies on magic to live and breathe under water but for some reason has one of the worst spell lores in game for the play style they prefer? (except for arcane corrosion, that one is perfect. The rest is short range spells on a model that can move 6" when the rest of the heavy hitters move 14")

Honestly if they bring an endless spell  that is literally a 40k large blast template I would be happy for these new elves.

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

this is the company that talks about how eldar weapons melt all armor, flesh and harness the power of stars.... but then they give them in game 5+ to wound and...

This hurts me so much... 😢

Off topic, but that reminded me of when I was reading up on how Craftworld Yme Loc has a weapon that could vaporize an entire continent in seconds but refuses to use it. Like let's take this amazing weapon and use it on Shalixi Helbane.

• Like 3

I've always considered that one of the weaknesses of the 40k setting.  Because the writers have very little to constrain them, they come up with all kinds of crazy things in the lore that you really can't represent on the table top.  Even their poster boys, the average Space Marine, should be massacring things on the table top if they were as strong in game as they are in lore.

And that's what I like about WHFB and AOS.  Even though the setting has gotten wilder and crazier, AOS is still relatively believable, even during moments of epic conflict.  And they seem to be doing a much better job advancing the narrarive comparitively.  For example, they didn't have to have the nod to the Lumineth that they added into Wrath of the Everchosen, but placing that little tibit there is a great lead in to the new army reveal.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

Sure, always could go wrong. I’d preferred it, if Teclis would have not had a mount/sidekick for that reason. Still, I’m optimistic, because he was often strong in previous iterations. 

Because Koradrel Mentioned above, how do does everyone think the Lumineth will be connected to the broader storyline and other realms?

Obvious one would be Slaanesh: Get’s free, here is your box - LRL vs HOS. But it doesn’t look like they went with that one.

Another one could be that Katakros rampage through Eightpoints and Archaon’s attack on them provoked them to go on the offense. Archaon still controls the Realmgate between Hysh and Eightpoints.

Or GW goes with something totally different.

So far they also have found a way to have new factions being present in most of the Realms. Not sure how they’d pull that one off with the Lumineth, besides them expanding now. Or will they just be in Hysh?

And then there is the thing with how they interact with other Order factions. Relations with the Idoneth could be a bit awkward. And Teclis could still be pissed that Sigmar has turned his Enlightenment Machines into the complete opposite (and on top of that with the help of a dwarf...). But then Teclis might have had so much aetherquartz over the millennia that he is colder than frozen moonlight now, his art looks a bit like that. 

• Like 1