Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

19 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Part 4 of my Great Canon series exploring Teclis' every appearance is up, this time covering what he got up to during the Storm of Chaos, as well as this adorable Warmaster model:

Teclis.jpg

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-4-storm-in.html

Feedback welcome as always. :) 

Loved it! Maybe make a blog post about it so we get noticed when you upload the next one. 

Would love to hear the stories of all named characters in AoS that are from the old world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sorrowlol said:

Loved it! Maybe make a blog post about it so we get noticed when you upload the next one. 

Would love to hear the stories of all named characters in AoS that are from the old world. 

@Double MisfireI second this! Love this series and would love to hear more about characters like Karl Franz or Arkhan the Black!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Fellman said:

Do every on want dragon prinses whit lions and sward masters are i the only one ho wants elementals or animated armours as elit units?

I'd be cool with summonable elementals, I dont know if I really want a unit of light elementals, unless its knights on light elemental dragons. then I would buy that up in a heartbeat

13 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I just hope they don’t go with the - the Lumineth are already almost extinct and rely on animated warriors and spirits because of numbers - thing. I’d really like to have some expanding elves for once. That’s kind of the only thing I really don’t feel nostalgic about. 

I cant second this enough, I agree so much. I am so tired of the dying elves trope that gets recycled over and over again... especially in a game where thousands of them die all the time but there is never really any dent in the population... are they really dying at that point.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tiger said:

They are painting Slaanesh as the big boogeyman and defiler of the elven race. They might not play the part of the previous trope, but that relationship feels rather sour as they've simply defined a big element of the elven culture and history. It's a shadow that follows everywhere you want to take your spin on the new elves, much like "the doomed race" did.

That's fine for me (as of what we know so far). I just would find it more interesting if they for once would also be more vigorous and expand, and not always on the verge of extinction (but this never having any true meaning anyway as Spyderguy says) from the start. Also in AOS they aren't really a "Eldar" race which is older than the others and peaked way in the past. In a way they are more of a younger race here which developed their culture relatively recently compared to others. Although we don't know when the Reinvention happened, but likely not long before the Age of Chaos. 

• Like 3

Both Tolkien and Moorcock sort of reinforced that whole "dieing Elder race" trope.  In Tolkien's work, the elves were already diminishing and preparing to travel to the west.  This colored a good chunk of early fantasy, especially Dungeons and Dragons.  However, as has been stated earlier, Moorcock's work is what really shaped Warhammer.  And Moorcock basically wrote the End Times before GW did.  Elric, his most famous character, was basically Teclis if Teclis had a soul-eating vampiric sword that empowered him instead of a staff, and he was basically the Phoenix King, but had to abandon the throne because he was forced to kill his lover, who was also his cousin.  Was it mentioned that Moorcock wrote Elric back in the 60's?  An amazing read though for any one who likes either of the fantasy Warhammer settings.

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Both Tolkien and Moorcock sort of reinforced that whole "dieing Elder race" trope.  In Tolkien's work, the elves were already diminishing and preparing to travel to the west.  This colored a good chunk of early fantasy, especially Dungeons and Dragons.  However, as has been stated earlier, Moorcock's work is what really shaped Warhammer.  And Moorcock basically wrote the End Times before GW did.  Elric, his most famous character, was basically Teclis if Teclis had a soul-eating vampiric sword that empowered him instead of a staff, and he was basically the Phoenix King, but had to abandon the throne because he was forced to kill his lover, who was also his cousin.  Was it mentioned that Moorcock wrote Elric back in the 60's?  An amazing read though for any one who likes either of the fantasy Warhammer settings.

"Farewell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!"

Anyone else remember that Elric (and Arioch) had stat lines in D&D? I remember my first exposure to the Elric series was paging through my parents' copy of... Deities and Demigods, I think?

Edited by Thalassic Monstrosity
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Thalassic Monstrosity You are correct sir!  He got taken out though because another company started a role-playing game set in the Younger Kingdoms, and they were given full rights to the setting.

And you could make a complelling arguement that the Sword of Khaine is Stormbringer.  Which would kind of make Tyrion into Nu Elric.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Yup, the Old World was kind of an  amalgam of Tolkien, Moorcock and Terry Pratchett. And the elves partly a creative way for a bunch of English guys to work through the wars and loss of their Empire. That's why I think that that trope wouldn't really fit with AOS. As the Aelves in that setting aren't "the firstborn" or an "old empire" or anything like that. 

I mean they still could do this of course, as it's the usual thing you do with elves, but I personally feel it would be bit of a missed chance to not focus on other aspects. 

The whole eternal champion is great though. I really loved the Elric books. The first two RPGs that I bought for myself were MERP and Stormbringer. Although I never really played the latter much. 

@Sorrowlol @Acid_Nine

Aw shucks, thanks guys, you're way too kind. :) 

Riding on the Lumineth hype, I've got a series covering both Eltharion and his nemesis Grom planned next, though it may be a while, as I've got three novels and the entire End Times left to cover for Teclis. 😳

When I originally had the idea for the series, I was going to cover Archaon, but looking at the reading material (in the spoiler below) I may put out shorter articles on his supporting cast of rival, hype man and older brother with severe adult  learning difficulties in Valten, Crom and Be'lakor while I work my way through.

Spoiler

IMG_20200217_1248108.jpg.37a3dccddea79027a494334ac4e407da.jpg

Part 5 and Part 6 of Great Canon: Teclis are now live, covering Teclis' appearances in two editions of WFRP, and the new origin he Tyrion got in 2008's Warhammer Armies: Daemons of Chaos:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-5-founding.html

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-6-new-origin.html

As always, feedback and errors more than welcome. :) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

And Moorcock basically wrote the End Times before GW did.  Elric, his most famous character, was basically Teclis if Teclis had a soul-eating vampiric sword that empowered him instead of a staff

I see Elric more in Malus Darkblade character.

11 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

@Sorrowlol @Acid_Nine

Riding on the Lumineth hype, I've got a series covering both Eltharion and his nemesis Grom planned next, though it may be a while, as I've got three novels and the entire End Times left to cover for Teclis. 😳

When I originally had the idea for the series, I was going to cover Archaon, but looking at the reading material (in the spoiler below) I may put out shorter articles on his supporting cast of rival, hype man and older brother with severe adult  learning difficulties in Valten, Crom and Be'lakor while I work my way through.

Reveal hidden contents

Part 5 and Part 6 of Great Canon: Teclis are now live, covering Teclis' appearances in two editions of WFRP, and the new origin he Tyrion got in 2008's Warhammer Armies: Daemons of Chaos:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-5-founding.html

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-6-new-origin.html

I really enjoy these. Very informative. It's a big walk down memory lane for me, but also a lot of stuff I didn't know although being a huge High Elf and Teclis fan. I'm just re-reading the Bill King novels about T&T. 

Good timing too - get's us through the waiting time here. Hopefully we hear something new at the NY ToyFair on the 22nd. Maybe the Sentinels, which will then be featured in the community article in 3 weeks 🥴

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

@Sorrowlol @Acid_Nine

Reveal hidden contents

You got me through waiting for my Clinical informational stuff, so thank you for the two awesome posts! I liked reading about the mage college thing most of all, I got to say!

On a story note, I really think that the luminith can tell some interesting stories for themselves if they get the right units. I always loved the idea of a Wandering loremaster as a hero back when they where still a thing, so having a character be able to do that kind of stuff would be lovely!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Yeah annoying these little previews are kind of causing my hype to waste away a little. I’ll get interested again when they show new stuff though.

I agree, I think the space at which the tidbits we get are so far apart and the lack of any real information has kind of turned me off a bit. almost like I would rather just not look at anything till a majority of the info is out... too bad I am like a GW crack addict and probably wont be able to stay away from each release rumor, even if I am just disappointed afterwards reading it lol.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On the other hand ... almost two weeks gone since the last one, we are getting there. But yeah, when I saw on the last article that the next one is only about the Dawnriders, that was a bit disappointing. At least we might get to see a new piece of art, so far every article had one of those. And there might be some tidbits in there which get us  really excited again for a few days  :) . The flaring sunmetal spears did that for me last time. What a great image. 

But I really hope after the Dawnriders, they show us a new unit. At least the archers maybe? But it's possible they go with Eltharion and Teclis until Adepticon. 

(while I'm writing this my mind is going showusthemagesnow, showusthemagesnow, showusthemagesnow,  showusthemagesnow,  showusthemagesnow, showusthemagesnow ....) 

Edit: 

@spiderguy: We are probably at least half through it, latest at the Adepticon we'll get them, hang in there. I guess you also waited 3 years for the new HE, like me, so this is nothing. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

And yet despite hiw aggravated the lot if us may be by the small tibits we've been given in lieu of solid info, we've managed twenty three pages of discussion so far.  There are armies with books out that have less than that.  So clearly, what GW is doing is working.  They know that a good chunk of the player base is starved for a "proper" elven army (and let's be honest, the Idoneth are cool, but proper elves they are not).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

I agree, I think the space at which the tidbits we get are so far apart and the lack of any real information has kind of turned me off a bit. almost like I would rather just not look at anything till a majority of the info is out... too bad I am like a GW crack addict and probably wont be able to stay away from each release rumor, even if I am just disappointed afterwards reading it lol.

Unfortunately I too am a GW crack addict looking for my next fix. 

• Like 2

Agreed.

Not really interested in the lore of every single unit (i will buy the battletome to read it). I wanna see new stuff, rules, base sizes, teases amd reviews.

Last article was sort of a let down. "oh the leaders use magiks to make the unit better blah blah" and didnt tell us how it works! Tell us if they are duo kits! Tell us about bits, options and so on!

• Like 2

Has anyone put any thought yet into doing a theme board for this army?  I was originally thinking of doing crystalline gowths with a desert base, but with all of the stone outcroppings and plant life on the models we've seen I may have to rethink that.  It might wind up representing a more Ulthuan of old style board.

@Thiagoma I agree that from an info perspective, it was a bit of a bust.  However, that Zenith Warden picture may wind up being my inspiration for my army's color scheme!

17 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Has anyone put any thought yet into doing a theme board for this army?  I was originally thinking of doing crystalline gowths with a desert base, but with all of the stone outcroppings and plant life on the models we've seen I may have to rethink that.  It might wind up representing a more Ulthuan of old style board.

@Thiagoma I agree that from an info perspective, it was a bit of a bust.  However, that Zenith Warden picture may wind up being my inspiration for my army's color scheme!

Yeah, one example is that one leader is using a sword and the other a sort of wand or scroll (hard to tell) and like: is it an alternate bit or does the rules change?

The damn size so we can work on bases and so on.

About the board i will show some stuff i bought for elves:

Elvish scenery

Elf Temple

Recomend the smaller pieces. The shrine thingy i wrecked. Was too bent, i glued it wrong and broke in several pieces trying to fix it.

I also intend to make all my bases like marble. Bulk paiting and i think fits the army.

• Like 4