Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

If you enjoyed the first two, the next part of my Great Canon series exploring Teclis' full tabletop and publication history is up, covering 6th edition and his first Black Library appearance in Giantslayer:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-3-mage-trios.html

Feedback as always welcome. :) 

Edit: @PiotrW, I've just seen your post and realised that the first couple of articles in my series give a pretty solid basic overview of 1/3 of what you're asking for in Teclis, with more to come on his involvement in the End Times, and AoS appearances to date coming in future installments:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/01/great-canon-teclis-part-1-origins-1992.html?m=1

Edited by Double Misfire
  • Like 4

@PiotrW

With regards to Eltharion, the following wiki article describes his history well enough:

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Eltharion

And this link describes both the above and goes into his death during the End Times.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Eltharion

Edited by Thalassic Monstrosity

1 minute ago, CommissarRotke said:

so a gyrobomber :P

not saying you're wrong, asI personally like bolt throwers as a weapon, but I think any siege weapon Lumineth get have a chance of being an iteration of one that already exists.

Naw I dont want it to be a chopper, I want it to be a sleek flying machine, maybe like a bomber or a fighter jet lol.... and I agree, I think it is very likely we will get an lumineth take on a bolt thrower. Also if we do get them I will be painting and using them, I just dont particularly prefer them, and would rather they go something more high fantasy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

If we get anything flying, I'd rather it be the return of the true Dragon Princes.  I want to remind everyone of the power of the Aelves by riding around on the battlefield burning their armies to ash!

I second that, I want to have copious amounts of dragons to paint.... burninating the country side is just a bonus for me!

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Same, same. The eagles are neat models too, however I'm highly doubtful that's going to happen.

It seems fairly clear that the old High Elf models were not included in Cities of Sigmar because they would be too close to the Lumineth.  So the removal of the models could, in some cases especially with the more modern models, have been a temporary measure until Lumineth are released.  I'm not full of expectation, but I do think it is possible.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

It seems fairly clear that the old High Elf models were not included in Cities of Sigmar because they would be too close to the Lumineth.  So the removal of the models could, in some cases especially with the more modern models, have been a temporary measure until Lumineth are released.  I'm not full of expectation, but I do think it is possible.

would be cool if we could use our LRL as an option for "9th Age" just magnetize bases. I do agree that a lot of the line could have been cut due to how similar they are. I also agree that I am not expecting much in that dept. I do also hope that we can ally and take phoenix temple cause having some phoenixes (not sure the plural) flying around would be cool.

16 minutes ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

would be cool if we could use our LRL as an option for "9th Age" just magnetize bases. I do agree that a lot of the line could have been cut due to how similar they are. I also agree that I am not expecting much in that dept. I do also hope that we can ally and take phoenix temple cause having some phoenixes (not sure the plural) flying around would be cool.

Well, the models we have seen so far (except for Teclis) would fit right in to The Old World, providing they use the same scale.  Having re-based 200+ models already, I am not returning to square bases.  I'm not sure I want to return to a Rank and File game either, to be honest - AOS has a more free-flowing nature to it.  Rank and File, for me, would need to be10 mil or 6 mil scale for that truly epic (Napoleonic) feel.  But I suspect that would prove very controversial.

Edited by Aelfric

3 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

If we get anything flying, I'd rather it be the return of the true Dragon Princes.  I want to remind everyone of the power of the Aelves by riding around on the battlefield burning their armies to ash!

I third that! To me the "Dragon Princes" were the best of the best and need to return..... 

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

I hope they incorporate Phoenix Temple, at very least as allies.

In the Cities of Sigmar Battletome it says that one of the conditions to become a Annointed is to make a pilgrimage to the Pyre of the Pheonix in Hysh, a crystallized valley filled with the godbeast’s ashes and meditate there for years. So if they can’t ally, they definitely missed a chance to do more with that story. 

And I’m sure that the reason why they kept most of the most popular HE units out of the Cities Battletome, like White Lions, Swordmasters and Dragon Knights, is because they’ll come back in their AOS form with the Lumineth. It wouldn’t make much sense otherwise to do that. We already know that key parts of the basic troops and Eldritch Council which got the same treatment are part of the Lumineth.

And in play style terms, they made the perfect anvil, so we need our hammers, with all the nostalgia they created (Swordmasters were part of the pointy aelves video), they must bring back at least some of them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Well, the models we have seen so far (except for Teclis) would fit right in to The Old World, providing they use the same scale.  Having re-based 200+ models already, I am not returning to square bases.  I'm not sure I want to return to a Rank and File game either, to be honest - AOS has a more free-flowing nature to it.  Rank and File, for me, would need to be10 mil or 6 mil scale for that truly epic (Napoleonic) feel.  But I suspect that would prove very controversial.

I can understand all of this. I hadn't played WHFB for a few editions, and stayed away due to lacking an Army I liked. I am excited about LRL and my entry into the game and re-entry in the hobby.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I'd also be alright with them coming out with some sort of brand new "iconic" unit.  As in, a new unit that is unique to the Lumineth, but is the unit that really captures the essence of the army.  Now, I'm not sure what that would be yet, since we still barely have info on the army.

I think that GW will have an interesting balance in this army, figuring out them to be new enough and AOS-ey enough for new players but also nostalgic enough for old players. 

• Like 3

I’m a high elf player since 5th Ed Wfb. But I think it would be very odd for GW to discontinue some of the HE most iconic unit kits and then just launch another army with pretty much the same units. I think it would be wise to temper expectations a bit. 

as much as I would love a really good, normal dragon kit, we’ll probably see more weird AoS creatures. The same goes for elite cavalry. I’m not saying it can’t happen, but personally I’m trying really hard not to get my hopes up to much and just enjoy the new elf army whatever it looks like. Instead of getting disappointed there are no new swordmasters etc. 

(having said that, I’m already collecting classic elf helmets and am looking into 3D printing high elf shields to give the Lumineth a more classic high elf look😛)

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 3:26 PM, Double Misfire said:

If you enjoyed the first two, the next part of my Great Canon series exploring Teclis' full tabletop and publication history is up, covering 6th edition and his first Black Library appearance in Giantslayer:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-3-mage-trios.html

Feedback as always welcome. :) 

Edit: @PiotrW, I've just seen your post and realised that the first couple of articles in my series give a pretty solid basic overview of 1/3 of what you're asking for in Teclis, with more to come on his involvement in the End Times, and AoS appearances to date coming in future installments:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/01/great-canon-teclis-part-1-origins-1992.html?m=1

On 2/14/2020 at 4:24 PM, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

@PiotrW

With regards to Eltharion, the following wiki article describes his history well enough:

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Eltharion

And this link describes both the above and goes into his death during the End Times.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Eltharion

Hey guys, you've been very helpful. Between this and a Warhammer wiki on (former) Wikia, I got all the info I needed :)

Observation: is it me, or was the old WFB / WFRP a tad... better? I prefer AoS as a game, but I got the feeling that the Old World was a deeper, more focused and more coherent setting than the Mortal Realms. Mortal Realms is so... vast and yet, it doesn't engage my emotions the same way the stuff I read about the Old World does...

Anyway, a Lumineth-related question: how you are planning on painting these guys? Somehow, I got the feeling that color-shifting paints might be of use here...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

Hey guys, you've been very helpful. Between this and a Warhammer wiki on (former) Wikia, I got all the info I needed :)

Observation: is it me, or was the old WFB / WFRP a tad... better? I prefer AoS as a game, but I got the feeling that the Old World was a deeper, more focused and more coherent setting than the Mortal Realms. Mortal Realms is so... vast and yet, it doesn't engage my emotions the same way the stuff I read about the Old World does...

Anyway, a Lumineth-related question: how you are planning on painting these guys? Somehow, I got the feeling that color-shifting paints might be of use here...

You have to bear in mind that the Old World lore was built on for over thirty years, whereas AOS has only been going for five.  When I first started there was very little lore, but that meant I was able to follow he journey from the beginning.  You too can follow the journey of an ever-expanding AOS universe as it happens in the same way.  In another twenty years ( if not before, the rate they are going ) the AOS lore will be just as deep and intricate as the Old World ever was.   All I can say is enjoy the journey.

• Like 5

Then old world is older then me! People will look back at AOS and think similar of it once it’s gone.

i will say that certain aspects of the old world I miss. It’s harder to do less epic stories in AOS. A gritty setting gives off an aura that adds flavour to each and every story. Old vampires vs new death armies are so alien despite being the same alliance. Even orks have become more fantastical, but I do think destruction has done the least amount of changing. 

However the writing and setting is superb, just the decription of slaanesh armies vanishing without a trace in ulgu has me hyped for malerions inevitable release. The short  stories in the flesh eaters court tome are amazing, and chaos has become so much more relatable to the point where specific chaos armies don’t even feel like badguys anymore, just victims of happenstance.

from a gaming perspective the game feels so much more balanced, and also feels like it has just as much depth as fantasy despite The vastly simplified ruleset. I miss the old magic phases and level 4 wizards risking death to pump out powerful spells the most (prolly why I originally gravitated toward tzeentch) but other then that the new game feels so much better.

i  do also miss the old magic item system, it felt like I could customize my hero to do whatever I want! And the old armour piercing system while complicated compared to rend was very logical in execution.

• Like 4