Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

I don't think the line troops should have a massive damage output, they're for holding the line so the mages and cav and dragons can come in for a solid kill. (Though i hope our lowliest warriors outperform, say, Freeguild chumps)

Maybe we get a similar mechanic to the new KO aethergold, where you get a once per game boost. And once all the Aetherquartz is used up you better hope you did the job.

Model wise I’m happy it states that heads and shield are fully interchangeable. That hopefully means easy head swaps and the shields not being attached to the arm. Because I’m thinking about using classic helmets and shields.  

on a side note, does anyone know where to get classic high elf shields without paying like 5€ for just one... 

So originally I was all like 'pfft I'm not interested in high elves'... then I saw their helmet plumes and was like 'I mean okay they look nice' and now I feel myself super interested in them *flops* (by the gods not another army I wanna collect)

I think I will try and see how exactly they play before I get any and see how convertible their heroes look. I'm not really a fan of the teclis model, love Eltharion though. I'm hoping they'll have some cool hero choices, and hoping their spearmen wont be horde units as I really don't wanna run super big blocks (also dunno if I have the space for so many models..)

They definitely look like they could be fun for paint schemes though. Hopefully will be good with contrast.

5 hours ago, Lucur said:

I don't think the line troops should have a massive damage output, they're for holding the line so the mages and cav and dragons can come in for a solid kill. (Though i hope our lowliest warriors outperform, say, Freeguild chumps)

Maybe we get a similar mechanic to the new KO aethergold, where you get a once per game boost. And once all the Aetherquartz is used up you better hope you did the job.

Anything that uses the power of a sun should be Uber powerful in my eyes. If they weren’t then I wish GW would use less epic descriptions of them. This is why I dislike playing my space marines sometimes, lasguns should barely kill 1 guy why am I failing so many armour saves lmao

Plague monks and buffed black orks are also batteline in name, yet can beat out most elites quite easily! Don’t disregard the power level of an elf on cocaine with a solar powered spear!

All I’m asking for is a similar strength attack pf An elite unit for 1 round of combat, i don’t personally think a unit of battleline matching an elite force for 1 of the 10 possible combat phases is too much to ask for. Plz GW

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

The best news is that the Wardens are Gender-Mixed! 🤩 This was always such a selling point for me when I collected Wood Elves.

I agree, my eldar army is completely female, the men dont fight. I hope all the units or at least most are gender mixed so I can do the same thing if I want to.

Yea, I am almost 96% sure that the spears are not one use only. Nowhere does it explicitly state that they drop the spears after the first round. In fact, they say they use swords only if enemies are close enough to be past the pointy end of a spear, or if their spears get stuck. I do not think that they are just going to stab once and go "That's me done!" in terms of a spear, which correct me if i'm wrong, is the main bloody point of a phalanx unit!

I could eat crow on this point, but we dont know anything. we can only speculate. But so far I think that the spear is a mainstay weapon, with the swords being there for flavor as part of a combined profile ("swords and spears") or as a different profile. I also have to think that the buffs of sunlight they give themselves can be something innate like the Morrsar guard eel shock, an ability that procts on a 6 or a spell that the sergeant can give. So far we still have too little information and it's killing me.

19 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I'm a little annoyed that they've stressed the Lumineth channeling the power of the sun like a Sunny D commercial. I've been wanting to have a lunar cast to my models instead.

No reason I still can't, I suppose.

what is moonlight but a reflection of sunlight after all!

I know a lot of theories are going around about the spears having the power of the sun based on the article but to me, I feel like 1 GW is very bad about actual game matching fluff. 2 I would think that their metals are forged from this material and not just be powered by magic or CP abilities.

I think if they go that route whatever rend the spears have the swords should have also. Also someone mentioning ASF, I doubt that will make it into the game. I havent played yet (waiting to get some high elves to play) but I thought it was activation based. ASF would be hard to design and be fair or fun to play against. you would either have to do it, your opponent can only combat with models that have already fought (not fun or fair). or the other way I could see them doing it is you get all your activation before the opposing army gets them (also not fun or fair at all).  I just can not think of a way that ASF could be implemented into the game with my knowledge of how AoS works.

I do agree with the comments though I hope our army is elite, and while I dont want battle line to be able to destroy everything I think a high 2" 3+/3+ 2R 1Damage (maybe 2) wouldnt be obscene, even if it was very strong.

I also get the feeling we will be very high bravery, if we are unmoving and unemotional you figure we have to be at least 7 or more bravery, although since they cant make our toughness 3 like they love doing to elves, I am sure we will have lower save armors on most of our armors and lower wounds than other factions to represent the fact that we are thin frilly elves.

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

Yea, I am almost 96% sure that the spears are not one use only. Nowhere does it explicitly state that they drop the spears after the first round. In fact, they say they use swords only if enemies are close enough to be past the pointy end of a spear, or if their spears get stuck. I do not think that they are just going to stab once and go "That's me done!" in terms of a spear, which correct me if i'm wrong, is the main bloody point of a phalanx unit!

I could eat crow on this point, but we dont know anything. we can only speculate. But so far I think that the spear is a mainstay weapon, with the swords being there for flavor as part of a combined profile ("swords and spears") or as a different profile. I also have to think that the buffs of sunlight they give themselves can be something innate like the Morrsar guard eel shock, an ability that procts on a 6 or a spell that the sergeant can give. So far we still have too little information and it's killing me.

agreed, I think that the spears will just be profile, and the swords will be either their for decorations or be a separate profile. I am ok with a separate profile if, they have a different purpose in the actual game and consequently have a differing stat line that is worse in some ways and better in others. Being as in game mechanic it doesnt matter outside of your range if your using a spear with 2" range or a sword with 1" range if your within 1" of the model. 

I also hope that the spears are special in their own right without having a CP cost or Casting cost from a leader. the eldar I feel suffer from this, where the leader is the only one that gets to do special stuff and so you hide them to try to keep the squad exarch alive which often means he cant use his special stuff. I am ok with them having an option for a mage leader or melee leader, give the mage something separate but allow the unit to still function well without a leader. 

also that could divide the units up in battle line differently, mage leader you are teclian, and battle line for teclis... melee leader and your Tyrian, and battle line for Tyrion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thebazilly said:

The flavor text in the blog post makes me think the spears have an extra 1/battle activation ability, similar to the Morsarr Guard voltspears. The eels don't have to throw their spears away after using them, either.

This is what I thought of when I read the description.

1 hour ago, Thebazilly said:

The flavor text in the blog post makes me think the spears have an extra 1/battle activation ability, similar to the Morsarr Guard voltspears. The eels don't have to throw their spears away after using them, either.

As the only insane idoneth player in existence, I really hope they don’t? For the morrsarr guard the zapping is incredibly powerful, but it’s a one time power boost and I wish they had something more long lasting. I compare it to the demigryphs knights, where they have mortal wounds whenever they fight instead of once per game. I prefer the ability that activates whenever, but that is just my preference for abilities like that.

6 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

As the only insane idoneth player in existence, I really hope they don’t? For the morrsarr guard the zapping is incredibly powerful, but it’s a one time power boost and I wish they had something more long lasting. I compare it to the demigryphs knights, where they have mortal wounds whenever they fight instead of once per game. I prefer the ability that activates whenever, but that is just my preference for abilities like that.

I second this acid_Nine, for a unit like the Morrsarr guard which are basically a cavalry unit meant to be on the move and hitting a valuable target hard vs a unit that is designed to hold a line and have heavy staying power against "waves of enemies crashing into them" having a once per battle ability would be kind of silly. I know James workshop will often make very silly decisions for the game. That said, I hope that they don't give them a flash in the pan style ability like that.

18 minutes ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

I second this acid_Nine, for a unit like the Morrsarr guard which are basically a cavalry unit meant to be on the move and hitting a valuable target hard vs a unit that is designed to hold a line and have heavy staying power against "waves of enemies crashing into them" having a once per battle ability would be kind of silly. I know James workshop will often make very silly decisions for the game. That said, I hope that they don't give them a flash in the pan style ability like that.

I was actually speaking about the morrsarr guard and saying I wish that the unit didnt have a one time blast like that, rather something more sustainable. Iam super against a one time explosion compared to a more metered amount of mortal wounds if It meant I can use it on every turn.  Still, I agree with your interpretation of a unit that is full on defensive, and personally all this speculation is killing me still because I want to have something more concrete!

• Like 1

Do they come out wth mechanics normally before release? 

I'll add a few more things  to speculate in the meantime : )  

If you look at the Teclis model, his belt has the full four Hyshian spirits rune from the article. And the two aeherquartz plates we can see both have a combined two spirit rune on them (Zenith/Wind, and Mountain/River). The same Mountain/River rune was depicted on the art of the Warden in the first release. So I guess if there is really a dichotomy with the spirits mechanics then it's either four or those two. And it looks like Teclis can channel all four spirits. So the whole Sun/Moon thing might be some different mechanic or just fluff. 

Now if you look at the picture showing three Wardens from the yesterday, the central High Warden has a dragon on his plate, while the one next to him has a horned sphinx symbol instead. You can also see them both in the photo where they fight the Skaven. The High Warden has the dragon symbol and the one next to him has the horned sphinx heads symbol.

The dragon is also shown on the new art of the "zenith warden". Combined this with the new Rumour Engine picture of a stone and a tree, this can only mean one thing: Tyrion on a Sun Dragon confirmed 🤪

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1