Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

53 minutes ago, Ashes said:

I’ve a question regarding the Cathallar ability to force the opponent’s unit to take a battleshock test: A Daughters of Khaine unit that consumed witchbrew wouldn’t need to take this battleshock, right?

I’m not sure how the witchbrew works, but if it prevents battleshock tests, then yes, the Cathallar ability won’t work. It only works on units that have to take a battleshock test, so command abilities etc. which nullify them also make it impossible to use the second part of the ability (throw negative multipliers at you). The first part works though, the Lumineth player can ignore their battleshock on a 2+. 

The ability does not force a battleshock on you, it only modifies the tests you have to take. 

43 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

How popular do you think Lumineth is currently? I’m seeing GW advertise the army fairly hard with the posts on the FB site and my local shops sold out of the entire range very quickly.   It def looks like despite the controversy it could be more popular than armies that sold badly like Fyreslayers and Idoneth.

This is hard to say. My local retailer sold out Teclis within an hour, but as I don’t know how many they ordered, could have been just me buying him, lol. High Elves buy most accounts were a pretty popular army, and if you compare the posts in this thread to many other armies, it seems there pretty popular too. There is a lot of activity on FB too. But this all could be just a few very enthusiastic people. We’ll know a bit better once we get more data from sites that compile data on list building, tournaments and so on. Places like Warhammer Weekly sometimes make surveys on popularity. So we likely can get a better impression, but probably will never fully know. 

All I can say is, they are such a beautiful army. If you really see them on the table even more so than on photos. They look like a real force. I’ve just finished my 30 Warden and can’t wait until I also have finished 30 Sentinels (6 have been built so far, getting there...). They look really awesome, and I’m not a good painter by any means. So I hope many people buy and enjoy them. 😊

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I’m not sure how the witchbrew works, but if it prevents battleshock tests, then yes, the Cathallar ability won’t work. It only works on units that have to take a battleshock test, so command abilities etc. which nullify them also make it impossible to use the second part of the ability (throw negative multipliers at you). The first part works though, the Lumineth player can ignore their battleshock on a 2+. 

The ability does not force a battleshock on you, it only modifies the tests you have to take. 

This is hard to say. My local retailer sold out Teclis within an hour, but as I don’t know how many they ordered, could have been just me buying him, lol. High Elves buy most accounts were a pretty popular army, and if you compare the posts in this thread to many other armies, it seems there pretty popular too. There is a lot of activity on FB too. But this all could be just a few very enthusiastic people. We’ll know a bit better once we get more data from sites that compile data on list building, tournaments and so on. Places like Warhammer Weekly sometimes make surveys on popularity. So we likely can get a better impression, but probably will never fully know. 

All I can say is, they are such a beautiful army. If you really see them on the table even more so than on photos. They look like a real force. I’ve just finished my 30 Warden and can’t wait until I also have finished 30 Sentinels (6 have been built so far, getting there...). They look really awesome, and I’m not a good painter by any means. So I hope many people buy and enjoy them. 😊

I know of a few locals in my area that love these guys too, so I think it’s safe to say that the outlook may be pretty good.  I agree with how beautiful they are.  They look absolutely amazing in formation, even with  only 8 guys completed. Can’t wait to see 50 of them on the table!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

How popular do you think Lumineth is currently? I’m seeing GW advertise the army fairly hard with the posts on the FB site and my local shops sold out of the entire range very quickly.   It def looks like despite the controversy it could be more popular than armies that sold badly like Fyreslayers and Idoneth.

Hello 👋 

obviously this is just my experience. But I can’t be the only person to do so, but I had zero interest in any of the age of sigmar range until the lumineth were released. I was browsing for a new painting project, and the dawnriders came up in my search. A few months later and I have the starter box and a few new releases on the way! Stunning models and I think they will be popular with painters. 

the game sounds fun enough and I think I’ll try and play a few games once we’re out of lockdown in Melbourne. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, mjay9090 said:

But I can’t be the only person to do so, but I had zero interest in any of the age of sigmar range until the lumineth were released. I was browsing for a new painting project, and the dawnriders came up in my search. A few months later and I have the starter box and a few new releases on the way! Stunning models and I think they will be popular with painters. 

the game sounds fun enough and I think I’ll try and play a few games once we’re out of lockdown in <insert your town here>. 

You aint!  That sums me up as well.  I've always liked the idea of a fantasy mini game.  I glanced at Warmachine/Hoards, Runewars, Frostgrave... even Wild West Exodus.  They all looked cool, but didn't grab me.  I always shied away from GW stuff due to price and sprues.  Then Legion came out... sucker!  I'm in like Flynn.   And when the LRL box was previewed, I pretty much went Heck Yeah.  I do wish AoS stuff was less expensive like Runewars is/was, but ce la vie.... but I will say the models, while a pain in the but to build sometimes and paint, they are very well sculpted.

18 minutes ago, Wyliekyote said:

You aint!  That sums me up as well.  I've always liked the idea of a fantasy mini game.  I glanced at Warmachine/Hoards, Runewars, Frostgrave... even Wild West Exodus.  They all looked cool, but didn't grab me.  I always shied away from GW stuff due to price and sprues.  Then Legion came out... sucker!  I'm in like Flynn.   And when the LRL box was previewed, I pretty much went Heck Yeah.  I do wish AoS stuff was less expensive like Runewars is/was, but ce la vie.... but I will say the models, while a pain in the but to build sometimes and paint, they are very well sculpted.

oh matey, they're so very expensive! 
not complaining too much, as they are lovely models. but having played and collected 15mm WW2 and historical for many years. Its a shock to drop so much money on 5 little men - but I still do 😅

Here is a little WIP of a dawnrider for fun - he'll get his spear this evening.
64D3Hfi.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 4

1 hour ago, mjay9090 said:

oh matey, they're so very expensive! 
not complaining too much, as they are lovely models. but having played and collected 15mm WW2 and historical for many years. Its a shock to drop so much money on 5 little men - but I still do 😅

Here is a little WIP of a dawnrider for fun

Looking good!!  I'm just starting ONE of them... to see how bad I'll at it. I've already messed up the horses skin, so had to redo it.  Ugh.  And my bases that will eventually be for my Dawn's; 5 Chaos Lava (like the LRL are taking the battle to the realms of hell/chaos) and 5 Frozen Tundra... just cause... you know...Hoth.

Fire and Ice bases.JPG

Dawnrider Ymetrica Alt WIP.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mjay9090 said:

Hello 👋 

obviously this is just my experience. But I can’t be the only person to do so, but I had zero interest in any of the age of sigmar range until the lumineth were released. I was browsing for a new painting project, and the dawnriders came up in my search. A few months later and I have the starter box and a few new releases on the way! Stunning models and I think they will be popular with painters. 

the game sounds fun enough and I think I’ll try and play a few games once we’re out of lockdown in Melbourne. 

Same, same, but different reasoning. : ) . First I was one of the people who associated AoS with End Times and the end of my favorite faction. I also had a quick look at the lore right after AoS started and thought "WTF is this???", sulked and played Total War Warhammer.

My friend really went into AoS and from time to time showed me things like DoK, Idoneth and then CoS, but none of them felt really like High Elves. Idoneth are a great concept and the models are awesome, just not something that appealed to me. Then GW published the "Pointy Aelves" video .... showed the first few models including Teclis and it was just 🥰😍🤩 for me from there. 

If there are more like us, I think the Lumineth will be a success. I think I must have spend almost as much on Citadel paints and similar things as on the Lumineth models. So, if the Lumineth bring in a lot of new or returning players that's probably more worth than someone buying his 4th army (although not everyone will buy additional things from GW). Lately, I also have seen several posts on FB mentioning specifically the Alarith as a reason to buy Lumineth, which could also hint at them being quite successful. GW has certainly turned off some old HE players who expected something differently from the new HE, but if the Alarith fans can make up for that, would be great. 

______

Btw. the Lumineth novel is done in a pretty smart way. It starts with the Alarith (and the focus is very much on the Stoneguard), but the author basically makes his own The Magnificent Seven - by bringing to life the Warden pictures of the Great Nations and adds them to 3 Stoneguard - you have an Iliatha clones team (Warden/Sentinel), a proper, veeeeery shiny Syar Champion, and the Zaitreci High Warden is turned into a reality bending, mystically annoying Zaitreci Loremaster. I haven't read through all of it, but the author brings out the different culture of those nations pretty nicely via those characters. I'm of course partial to the Loremaster, but they are all done well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Yeah I think they’ll do well. A recent GW post on their Facebook page asked if peeps were gonna buy the Lumineth and it has around 160+ comments of mostly people keen for them.

On another note, my Archers and dice turned up today! :D built a couple and I 100% agree this army is fekking beautiful. Cannot wait to see a full 2k list in front of me!

• Like 1

Regarding popularity.

High elves were one of the most popular armies in regular and comp play back in 7-8th ed. (top3 certainly for regular play)
HE popularity came largely from being elves, lots of varation and viable options without being stupidly bad or OP.

New elves are not gonna be as popular as they used to be, but i dont think they will be unpopular either. While all people i know online or offline  have no interest in current cow elves, they most likely end up being pretty average in popularity for regular play.  Competitive i cant say yet but considering they dont seem OP i doubt they will suddenly become most played.
Tyrions release might push them into top popularity again though.

Hi all,

do you think an all footslogging Lumineth army might work?

Reason I ask: I regularly have to travel to get some games in and therefore I´m searching for a somewhat easy to transport army. Well, the Lumineth are pretty nice looking, especially the Sentinels and Stoneguard. Do you think it´s possible to build an army based on these two units? Which heros might be a good support for them?

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

do you think an all footslogging Lumineth army might work?

Reason I ask: I regularly have to travel to get some games in and therefore I´m searching for a somewhat easy to transport army. Well, the Lumineth are pretty nice looking, especially the Sentinels and Stoneguard. Do you think it´s possible to build an army based on these two units? Which heros might be a good support for them?

Probably not the best combination, but if you are not playing very competitively, you might be able to make it work. As heroes I’d pick Eltharion, who is the most survivable among your options, and then at least one each of the two mage options, Stonemage and Cathallar. They both have some synergies with the units, and also different useful spells. You might also have a look at the Wardens, you can cut their pike if those make them  too difficult to transport. That would give you another option (and more bodies).  

So, I love Avalenor but wasn’t the biggest fan of his pose so, using parts of the generic poses for the arms, and the more serene mask of the generic ones, I reposed him somewhat to look a little cooler to me. Really happy with how he turned out. :D

0A770FD3-5D3D-4C13-A07A-DCC48F3FE984.jpeg

5ADF7F83-D109-43F3-B360-4B9DED4F5B5F.jpeg

E611A819-65A4-49CE-935D-2B20C6A37CC9.jpeg

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 4

36 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

So, I love Avalenor but wasn’t the biggest fan of his pose so, using parts of the generic poses for the arms, and the more serene mask of the generic ones, I reposed him somewhat to look a little cooler to me. Really happy with how he turned out. :D

Wow! What a fantastic model! The different pose really adds to the model (makes it look less "flat"). Thank you for posting. Now I cant wait to get the hands on this kit myself!

• Like 1

You have to tell us how he helmets fit together, and maybe how they compare proportionally to space marine helmets if you have any. Gotta update that conversion post somehow.

also, how easy would it be to magnetize everything on mister mountain? I’m thinking the arms, head and possibly the mountain on the back just so I can swap out from aralith to avalorn

5 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

That looks really awesome!  Agree that it makes the model more dynamic.  Very cool!!  How does it look to paint when built?  To me, he screams out for sub assemblies, but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

You have to tell us how he helmets fit together, and maybe how they compare proportionally to space marine helmets if you have any. Gotta update that conversion post somehow.

also, how easy would it be to magnetize everything on mister mountain? I’m thinking the arms, head and possibly the mountain on the back just so I can swap out from aralith to avalorn

And Ditto on all this.  Would it be possible to Magnetize the Mtn's....  because that'd be awesome to have a 2for1 model, esp for the price.

Edited by Wyliekyote

With the helmets and scale next to marines, are you referring to the Stoneguard? They’re thinner than a Primaris helmet, but roughly triple the height. They come in 2 pieces, the helmet+face is all one piece, along with the back of the top ornament, then the face and horns of the cow head ornament is glued on as the second bit.

I haven’t really done any magnetising myself so I’m not sure on the prerequisites for it, however I think you probably could magnetise their arms, and almost definitely the head. The neck and back of the head glue together as 2 half’s, sideways, and the mask+ horns go ontop and most of it is hollow to be able to glue magnets into. The arms also have hollow parts where they join in the arm pit, and plenty of surface area (and hollow sometimes, depending on the arm piece for the different poses) for magnets in the elbow part. The mountain on the back I’d say would also be magnetisable, given how hollow it also is and the way it joins, as far as my small knowledge on magnetising works anyway, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Tiberius501

6 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

0A770FD3-5D3D-4C13-A07A-DCC48F3FE984.jpeg

5ADF7F83-D109-43F3-B360-4B9DED4F5B5F.jpeg

E611A819-65A4-49CE-935D-2B20C6A37CC9.jpeg

This is the one. Nobody will build it the normal way now. Well done!

Any chance of a head size comparison to a Manticore or White Lion? Thinking about head swaps for the mountain 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

With the helmets and scale next to marines, are you referring to the Stoneguard? They’re thinner than a Primaris helmet, but roughly triple the height. They come in 2 pieces, the helmet+face is all one piece, along with the back of the top ornament, then the face and horns of the cow head ornament is glued on as the second bit.

I haven’t really done any magnetising myself so I’m not sure on the prerequisites for it, however I think you probably could magnetise their arms, and almost definitely the head. The neck and back of the head glue together as 2 half’s, sideways, and the mask+ horns go ontop and most of it is hollow to be able to glue magnets into. The arms also have hollow parts where they join in the arm pit, and plenty of surface area (and hollow sometimes, depending on the arm piece for the different poses) for magnets in the elbow part. The mountain on the back I’d say would also be magnetisable, given how hollow it also is and the way it joins, as far as my small knowledge on magnetising works anyway, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Yea that’s what I meant. I was just curious if placing some kind of space marine helmet from puppets war would fit the model. Otherwise, very valuable info!