Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

Yeah that sounds about right. I could see them releasing an FaQ for them to say they replace one another but if not, I won’t complain. 

It seems that they deliberately divided the stances to make them overlap.

The Mountain Stance is the generic Alarith Stance used by all units, but the Stonemage Stance is only activated by the Stomemage.

Granted, the Stomemage taking two stances at the same time does strain believability, but they may have let it slide because they're a 5 wound hero with a 5+ save.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjay9090 said:

Excuse my newness, but can the models from underworlds be used in an age of sigmar game? or are they just nice collectibles?

3 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

They can be used. They all get rules to make them playable in AoS. But their actual usefulness depends. In many cases they are just used to add variety to existing units (the archer and Stoneguard in the Lumineth warband could be used like that for example), but their warscroll isn't used. A few are actually used. I heard that the new DoK one is quite useful (because the wounds on the leader can be allocated to the warband), but I'm not a DoK expert, so this might not be true. 

You can find their warscroll here: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos_the_blade-coven_en.pdf 

Yeah, they can be used in AoS but it is actually a weird case.

• The units are often quite small compared to other unis
  • They are basicly Named Characters / units
  • In the Lore they normally are in Shadespire or somewhere near it (so it doesn't make much sense lorewise to include them into your army)
  • The bases most likely will not fit to the rest of your army.

I have the feeling the underworlds warbands partly make more sense to build a Warcry Warband (because you need less models) or as alternative sculps for existing units.

We don't know what a Lumineth Warband will look like but if it is for example 1 Alarith Stoneguard , 2 Vanari Wardens und 2 Vanari Sentinels, why would you play such a mixed unit inside your army?

• Like 1

The unit appears to be the mage dude, the sword las with the back banner, a hammer bro and a bow champ. Which seems pretty random yeah lol, but it’ll depend really on how useful the hero is. If he’s a good caster with a fun spell and is reasonably costed then the unit comes with him in his point cost as extra little bodies 

• Like 1

Honestly I am pretty excited to see the warband. With such a short unit roster any extra units make me excited, especially a small glimpse at a new temple! I hope we get some more info on them soon too. I honestly wish they started with river over the mountain aspect to be honest.

plus, I wonder how each temple will be implemented in the future. Will every Tyrian nation be solely devoted to a temple like Ymetrica is? Or will the temples become their own thing and each nation will be getting their own special rules like Ziatrec or Syar?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mjay9090 said:

I really hope the Swordswoman is just a generic Vanari General!

/start lore ramblings

Me too!!  A more melee focused one to supplement LoE, or to ride shotgun to the Scinari/Stonemage.  

I'm sure people with better eyes then me have done this already, but I've tried to capture some shots of the Preview:184792476_UnderworldsLRLMage3.png.30d683fe30362eacf2de75ba1e1e7a89.png

My ramblings about the Mage.  As mentioned earlier, I agree that all signs point towards this being a Zenith mage.  I sure hope so!!

And the Sword wielder:

1234039078_UnderworldsLRLSwordmaster.png.6b39065a8767402b0897d04805324d9e.png

Sorry for the Crocodile Dundee reference... lol... but that sword is HUGE!  Not being familiar with the older WFB, and the specific sword masters/loremasters.  Did they usually have a banner attached?  I've read about them, and I would be super stoked to get either one of those people in my army!  IMO, the base has those GW trees, so I'm guessing it's more like LoE/Scinari hero style.  Slightly bigger base with cool scenery.

As far as the cards, they all have the LRL symbol, of the Runic Mandala in the top right corner, much like the cards in Warcry.  I was trying to see if I could zoom in to see the symbol on the drawing.  Meh.... could be the Alaithi/Mountain rune?  not sure...

🤘

/end lore ramblings

Underworlds LRL card.png

Edited by Wyliekyote
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I’m also really looking forward to the warband. In the worst case we can use the Stoneguard, Sentinel and Swordwoman as stand-ins for unit champions or variety and the mage as a Cathallar, which is still ok. 

But if the mage is at least a 2 cast Wizard for example, and the scroll not totally bad, I could  see me using the group instead of Eltharion in my 1,000 list for example. A 2 cast (or more) Wizard would be really useful for the Lumineth. Most of the warbands cost around 160 -180 (some outliers though).The lore part, you could always change to make it fit, if that’s a problem. I could also see them being used in non-Teclis lists, if the mage can cast more than one spell and has a few more wounds, instead of a second Cathallar for example. 

@Wyliekyote 👍 The symbol the warrior is holding on the card seems to be the one for air, funnily enough. But it’s really hard to decipher. The symbol on the mage is very likely the full Hysha-Mhensa (all 4 elemtal runes). You can see it better on the box art. In WFB the Sword- or Loremasters didn’t have banners attached, but it fits well with the more pronounced Asian influences the Lumineth have of course. 

@Chumphammer Awesome stuff! I wish I was that far (and could do stuff like that) with my army. If I’m lucky(?) my first wave will arrive tomorrow. I’m not prepared lol. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

The symbol the warrior is holding on the card seems to be the one for air, funnily enough. But it’s really hard to decipher. The symbol on the mage is very likely the full Hysha-Mhensa (all 4 elemtal runes). You can see it better on the box art. In WFB the Sword- or Loremasters didn’t have banners attached, but it fits well with the more pronounced Asian influences the Lumineth have of course.

Box art!?!  Can’t forget that.  Lol.  Good point!  Totally missed that the sword barer On the card is casting/doing something with a rune there. And it does look like the Wind Rune.  👀  but the irony is that the card is “channel the river”, and he’s using an Wind rune? And the armor symbol looks like a Tower, like the flag on the box.  Wonder what that could mean?  A new Nation?  Temple?  and the rune on top of the Back Flag?  Doesn’t look like any of the runes from the BT to me. 

And yeah... after a wee bit more ****** CSI photo action on the Mage,  I can barely see the Full Combo Rune on their chest. Good call.

now I’m even more excited for this box that I’ll only buy for the LRL models....  hopefully I can eBay the other stuff. 

I also only could come up with a tower or something similar for the symbol on the banner and breast plate. Could be where the mage is from? One of the Lumineth Cities maybe? His "Order of the Purifying Owl"?  Likely something completely different : ). I think the symbol on top of the banner is the same as the picture (three spokes and a half moon on top). Will be interesting to see what it really is.

Thinking back about all our theories in this thread about what all those small hints about the Lumineth would mean, and compare it to the actual range looks like ---- well the track record is shall we say ... mixed : ).  

It's really fun doing though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

First wave comes out tomorrow and I’ve been lazy and haven’t even finished my 10 Wardens :( 

Same. I got the horses to paint and I got three more wardens from the original box set, not to mention Eltharion and the mist weaver to do.

Also, They released all the painting guides today on the Lumineth.... except for Ziatrec? What the heck?

• Like 3

Assembling 20 Dawnriders is more time-consuming than I thought, and 75% of it is really cleaning the model lol. 

I'm currently at 12 1/2 Dawnriders assembled and leaves 7 out of 20 Cav, 6 out of 30 Wardens, and then I have 40 sentinels on the way and 2 Cathallars. Should have the Dawnriders finished by Saturday sometime. Then I'll start assembling all of the second wave stuff in preparation for the third wave stuff that'll be released on next Saturday.

Then the plan is to get the lumineth on the game table and resume painting in the evening / weekends. 20 Dawnriders hopefully won't drive me insane lol (famous last words😁)!

Cy9fAsR.jpg

HPGGeHv.jpg

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

15 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I also only could come up with a tower or something similar for the symbol on the banner and breast plate. Could be where the mage is from? One of the Lumineth Cities maybe? His "Order of the Purifying Owl"?  Likely something completely different : ). I think the symbol on top of the banner is the same as the picture (three spokes and a half moon on top). Will be interesting to see what it really is.

Thinking back about all our theories in this thread about what all those small hints about the Lumineth would mean, and compare it to the actual range looks like ---- well the track record is shall we say ... mixed : ).  

It's really fun doing though. 

Speaking of Towers? Count me in!
grafik.png.bfb54248c39a20b0558a77eba34050fe.png
This is from the Old High Elves Book 8th Edition. Would be perfect for a Zaitrec Banner :)
Misery in the Tower Library? Poor Aelf Students... :D

Yeah Zaitrec missing so far in the painting Guide is odd - but then Syar had none in the Book and theirs is the best Video among them - so it evens out I guess? :/
Are any of you actually using the Guide-Videos by GW? I found them quite lacking. They dont show the Model from different angles for example, but maybe thats the standard with their videos. I used some steps from the Tome however and liked them.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

Just now, Aloth_Corfiser said:

This is from the Old High Elves Book 8th Edition. Would be perfect for a Zaitrec Banner :)

Yeah Zaitrec missing so far in the painting Guide is odd - but then Syar had none in the Book and theirs is the best Video among them - so it evens out I guess? :/
Are any of you actually using the Guide-Videos by GW? I found them quite lacking. They dont show the Model from different angles for example, but maybe thats the standard with their videos. I used some steps from the Tome however and liked them.

I won't be using the entire video, as I've already established my scheme. I've certainly taken a tip or two away from the videos, such as the orange skin tone of the Dawnrider horses and using corax white for the armor panels. 

There are other tutorials for Lumineth on youtube that I feel provide much more content and insight, but I think the GW vids are a cool run down. I'm in agreement with you, though, the Tome is really useful on its own for paint guidance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I found the Ymetrica one pretty lacking.  I was hoping that the video would expand on the battletome tips.  Instead, it seem to go for a far more basic tutorial.  I didn't find it that useful as it seem geared for someone even more simple style than my painting style which isn't that complex.

As an example, I was hoping the video would have covered the Skeleton Horde and Medium mixture at 1:1 for getting that cream color cloth.  I haven't really don't washes/inks/stains to change the color of the base coat (on purpose) so I wanted video of how to accomplish it without leaving uneven spots or pooling in the recesses.  Unfortunately, the Warhammer Youtube video went straight Skeleton Horde Contrast.  It also had an uneven spot at the lower part of the right robe, and when the model's back is shown some pretty bad pooling.  Or at least for what I am looking to accomplish.

I was also surprised very little layering/highlights was done on any of the blue parts.  Overall, I would have much preferred the video focus on painting up one model better over the three in the video not done as well as I would have liked.  Maybe I am being overly picky.  At the same time, I just watched the Duncan video which even using different colors seemed much better on how go about painting Lumineth models switching colors as needed.

I am still hoping for a more comprehensive and higher level tutorial for Teclis.  If that happens and it is anywhere close to Archaon, I think I can use apply some of the techniques to my Ymetrica army.  I couldn't really do that with the actual Ymetrica tutorial sadly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

First off dude you rock!  I LOVE this idea...  I don't know much about WFB elves (although I should read more I guess).  A tower full of magic and lore, that is riddled with Wisdom and Misery?  Could this tower have survived the End Times?  Sweeeeet.   And wasn't this tower founded by Teclis, its High Loremaster....?  And defended by the Swordmasters?   Soooooo maybe this group, "Myari’s Purifiers, a band of Lumineth Realm-lords pledged to calm the mountain’s growing wrath" is a new link to the Tower?   They could be Alarith, due to the connection to the mountain.  But Im hoping for a new Temple!!  And Nation.  Does anyone know who Myari might be?  Was there a WFB character of the same name?  Also, Purifiers has more of a Fighter than a Mage feel.  So maybe a glimpse into a Tyronic Nation?!?  Maybe....

In regards to the GW video guides, I've found them to be... lackluster too...  A "make something super-quick so we can say we did it" vibe.  Maybe for a more "basic" guide?  Especially compared to some found on YouTube, or at Duncan Rhodes Painting academy.... (which is awesome btw!!).  I've used the Ymetrica Alt guide from the Tome, and really liked the results.  I usually paint each squad a different scheme so I can "easily" tell them apart on the table, no matter what Nation my list might be from.  Plus it looks cool IMHO.... But for these guys I might make a Warden and Dawnrider match... dunno.

Making progress through the Dawnriders over the past couple weeks, but it's been very slow going - I concur with everyone who has pointed out how laborious they are to assemble and paint. While a lot of my original lists included two units of them, I definitely won't be subjecting myself to painting another 5 (at least not any time soon). Still, I'm happy with the results so far:

9ExmzA8.jpg

Not perfect, but for the difficulty level I'm satisfied. I'm probably going to switch over to working on Eltharion now, just to have some fun and cleanse my palate before trying to finish the last 2.

Also, my LGS got their Lumineth delivered today! Just got back from picking up my pre-order:

8MUMuOB.jpg

So I've got a whole lot of painting ahead still... but I figure hey, once I survive the Dawnriders, the rest of the army should be a cakewalk!

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

This whole "Tower" thing is intriguing.   I'm looking at the Rune atop of the sword wielders flag. Thinking about the Rune that Aloth shared...and falling down the rabbit hole.  Reading about the Tower, looking at other Runes.  IF it's a pattern, most times when we see a rune on a staff, it related.  I'm speaking of the Stonemage's staff.  It has the Alaithi, Mountain rune.  Could this Flag follow the same pattern?  And it looks a lot like these:

Vaul.jpg.b003c74cb89e8962f92956ed20f7cb59.jpg    The old High Elf symbol of Vaul.  

image.png.6916b72eb78c5cee96ddfc412708b7ce.png

218692281_DirechasmBox-Swordmaster.jpg.7d34de7876f6737faf812cc6ea5b5a53.jpg

5 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Good find, and as you say - would fit perfectly for a Zaitrec Banner : ). 

I found the videos somewhat lacking, as they are less detailed than what’s in the Battletome. And why no Zaitrec, but horses, which most people won’t even have for another week? Seems like they are not aimed at the crazy people like us who bought the army boxes ... . Which makes sense as most of us have already decided on a scheme and started. 

Still, you can get some information out of those videos. And hopefully we’ll see some more. 

I’ll spend the day basing my 30 Wardens before my first wave comes in. 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Pre-orders are up in New Zealand :D 

I’m really tempted to get 2 moo mountains but I have no idea how to fit both Avalenor and a generic 1 into 1 list and still have room for Eltharion and other cool units. Anyone know if 2 seems valid?

I’ll buy two : ). It all depends what you want to do. Avalenor and a Spirit cost a bit more than Teclis, if you also put in Eltharion and 1, 2 Stonemages, you are over 1,000 points : ), but that means you could still add 20 Stoneguard, the battalion, and two units of whatever Vanari you like (or 2,3 more units of Stoneguard : ) ). Could at least be fun to play, even if it’s not the most competitive list. 

You see a lot of people building lists with 2 mountains. 

• Like 1