Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

6 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Wellllll....

I finally got my chameleon paints from greenstuff world and I gotta say I'm a bit dissapointed by the Burning gold. It turned out a lot more greenish gold instead of orangy gold like advertised, so that makes me sad. But! The other paints I got are pretty nice, so I may be using them on the weapons or the shield or something. I may try to use it on one model, but without an airbrush I think I am stuck brushing it on, and the shoulder things on the wardens is fairly intricate. Kinda sad that I waited a month for those paints :(

Will post some pictures later when I can 

sorry to hear, I had similar experience with the gold. you could perhaps consider getting an airbrush, you can get one for less than the lumineth box :)

if you do I think it would be manageable to use these paints for the armour parts

• Thanks 1

I’m very pleased the battletome gives the impression the Lumineth are much more then the models available. I’m also happy some things are described pretty detailed and otherthings are kept vague. I love this part of the hobby, these snippets from the battletome inspire and challenge players to convert and create their own stories, heraldry, color schemes, etc. For me, that is what the hobby is about.  

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, elfhead said:

I’m very pleased the battletome gives the impression the Lumineth are much more then the models available. I’m also happy some things are described pretty detailed and otherthings are kept vague. I love this part of the hobby, these snippets from the battletome inspire and challenge players to convert and create their own stories, heraldry, color schemes, etc. For me, that is what the hobby is about.  

I totaly agree with you. Sometimes I am planning on mixing 2 colour schemes from 2 different Nations (like Zaitrec and Ymetrica) for example, to reflect Lumineth who are influenced by both Nations.
However as some one else already said it a few dozen pages before, I am always worried.
I am not really a Hobbyist who collects like 3000 points and more, as I don't have the money. Also I like to finish things step by step. 
Now whats the thing I am worried about?
Well, I always like to plan ahead, figure out a narrative I like and build from there. And I am worried that the Tyrionic side will in the end appeal to me much more than anything I have thought up already. In this way it seems that I am pretty obessed with this particular Part, this particular Faction - (typical Aelf behaviour yay :D ) - I am maybe that kind of guy who finds an all Cavalry Army appealing. While my Friends collect all kinds of Factions with a mix of Minor Beasts, 1-2 Behemoths, big named Characters, the whole mix of Core Troops and all that stuff.

When Swifthawk Agents were still around I sometimes thought about how cool "AoS-ified" Warhawk Riders with a new High Aelf Aesthetic could be. And than I fancied collecting a whole Squadron just of this cool new Riders soaring across the Realms... 🥰

So Yeah, sorry for the rambling on. Although when I said that I would be worried about getting excited about new Tyrionic Models - this has not to be a bad thing. I guess the "Issue" is - I am always thinking about what is to come and not about what we have now. (It all sounds more dramatized than it actually is to be honest haha) There is just that drive for "the perfect" Force that I can make my own. 😄

Edit: On the Heraldy you mentioned @elfhead: I am also a fan of building up from a subfaction or a Battalion (or numerous ones) and get a feel for how they organise and ultimately play. It is really exciting to get the gist of "Oh that's how a Phalanx from Iliatha works and "feels" like to play with"
Thats what I also liked about my Wanderers: You could fit a whole nearly 2000 Point army into 1 Battalion the "Waystone Pathfinders" -you kind of get a scale reference and can act out a narrative:
Can this lone tribe of Wanderers survive against this Marauding Bonesplitterz Horde? Do they actually stand a chance against Arkhan and his Legions?     ---> Most of the time, they (the Aelves) died. ^^

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser

6 hours ago, woolf said:

sorry to hear, I had similar experience with the gold. you could perhaps consider getting an airbrush, you can get one for less than the lumineth box :)

if you do I think it would be manageable to use these paints for the armour parts

You warned me I believe, so I should have listened! Yea, I think the compressor is more expensive than the air brush, so I dunno if I will be getting one anytime soon. Plus, I’m in a medical program currently and don’t think it would be wise to get one with my student loans.

I may try on one of my guys just to see how it would look, as now that I let them completely dry the models look a bit better. I will say though, that shading utterly ruins the effect so That is something to consider. I am really excited to see how the weapons turn out those, as the celestial Azure looks really amazing for a weapon.

5 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

When Swifthawk Agents were still around I sometimes thought about how cool "AoS-ified" Warhawk Riders with a new High Aelf Aesthetic could be.

Same, variety of birds and some EC allies would have been awesome.

Problem is that LRL have far too little cool stuff to play around and even the allies look they're suffering from anaemia. Not really prompting me to grab my tools and start assembling things. I usually prefer mages but not really feeling Teclis, hopefully Tyrion is going to look more to my liking.

4 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

You warned me I believe, so I should have listened! Yea, I think the compressor is more expensive than the air brush, so I dunno if I will be getting one anytime soon. Plus, I’m in a medical program currently and don’t think it would be wise to get one with my student loans.

I may try on one of my guys just to see how it would look, as now that I let them completely dry the models look a bit better. I will say though, that shading utterly ruins the effect so That is something to consider. I am really excited to see how the weapons turn out those, as the celestial Azure looks really amazing for a weapon.

ok airbrush migth not be a top prio but just to let you know that you can buy a perfectly functioning one including compressor for around 100 USD, so in context of the overall hobby costs might be worth considering, ofc only of you want to use it for more than just this one thing

anyways looking forward to some pictures of these weapons/shields!

ps for shading I didn't bother that either, just took some bright silver edge highlights

cheers

2 hours ago, Ghoooouls said:

Interestingly, the champion for stoneguard is much worse than the normal stoneguard guys, how odd.

If you are referring to having two hammers, that is optional.  I will be equipping them in the same way as the unit.  It's the standard bearer that I am in two minds about.  Is re-rolling battleshock worth losing a standard hammer, especially in a group of five?  I am sorely tempted to have no banner bearers at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Aelfric said:

If you are referring to having two hammers, that is optional.  I will be equipping them in the same way as the unit.  It's the standard bearer that I am in two minds about.  Is re-rolling battleshock worth losing a standard hammer, especially in a group of five?  I am sorely tempted to have no banner bearers at all.

I likely will go with the banner, just as a back up plan as they most likley won't have the cathaller nearby as she would be with the  larger unit of pikes so as a fallback rerolling battleshock will have it's uses for those 1-2 deaths per turn.

Just now, Yuviel Lightbringer said:

I likely will go with the banner, just as a back up plan as they most likley won't have the cathaller nearby as she would be with the  larger unit of pikes so as a fallback rerolling battleshock will have it's uses for those 1-2 deaths per turn.

That's not a bad idea - I may have one in a unit of ten.  I'm aiming to keep a Stonemage nearby for buffing, so Inspiring Presence will be my preferred option.  It's not as if we're over-run with command abilities.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Bit lame for a champion to be the same as the rest of the unit still, when all others are usually something better like +1 attack or something.

6 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

Bit lame for a champion to be the same as the rest of the unit still, when all others are usually something better like +1 attack or something.

if the champion takes the paired hammers they can re-roll all failed hit rolls, so the paired hammers do grant a bonus, it just depends on what you want in a unit/model, the mortals from the picks, the double damage from the mallet or the reliabiltiy to hit from the paired hammers.

2 hours ago, Yuviel Lightbringer said:

if the champion takes the paired hammers they can re-roll all failed hit rolls, so the paired hammers do grant a bonus, it just depends on what you want in a unit/model, the mortals from the picks, the double damage from the mallet or the reliabiltiy to hit from the paired hammers.

They get rerolls on worse attacks though. 3 attacks with rerolls at 3s 4s no rend damage 1 vs 2 attacks 3s 3s rend 1 and the ability to either do mortals or damage 2 on 6s. The champion on average is worse in every scenario except against a unit with no save at all. That is also including his rerolls but not including the units special rules of 6s doing mortal or damage 2.

Compare him to any other lumineth champion and it's crazy.

Edited by Ghoooouls
  • Like 3

well, I'm neck deep in painting, and will post some pics when I get them close.  I'm using some AwEsOmE color shift paints from Green Stuff World (mentioned earlier I think) and man... they are cool!!!

BUT!  I'm looking ahead to storage and transport.  So a few questions:

1) What do yall use for storage/transport?  I've checked out some tubs from Costco and Container Store:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/artbin-double-deep-super-satchel/d?productId=11002706&q=art bin. or

https://www.containerstore.com/s/craft-hobby/artbin-narrow-super-semi-satchel/1d?productId=11002725

and then putting magnetic tape on the bottom, or on the dividers to make them slide out and easy to get to.  But...

2) Does anyone know how big these models will be?!?!  I've only got the Spears up, and they are 2" high and hella long...  Any idea about the Calvary, Light, Teclis, Mountains?!?!  These last two look HUGE!?!

Cheers!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

They get rerolls on worse attacks though. 3 attacks with rerolls at 3s 4s no rend damage 1 vs 2 attacks 3s 3s rend 1 and the ability to either do mortals or damage 2 on 6s. The champion on average is worse in every scenario except against a unit with no save at all, even then wounding on 4s is only 50% of your successful hits which equates to about the same on average to 2 attacks 3s 3s but without rend and no ability.

Not to mention the fact that you are also having to roll seperate dice each time for something that gives no advantage.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

Not to mention the fact that you are also having to roll seperate dice each time for something that gives no advantage.  

In the end I do agree with everything said about the paired hammers.  I may still use them however, even if the mallet or pick are better, something about the aesthetic of using two hammers just strikes a nice chord with me. I may just be weird though.

Edited by Yuviel Lightbringer
spelling
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Yuviel Lightbringer said:

In the end I do agree with everything said about the paired hammers.  I may still use them however, even if the mallet or pick are better, something about the aesthetic of using two hammers just strikes a nice chord with me. I may just be weird though.

Definitely looks cool with two hammers! I think they will likely get changed with an faq as it seems a very odd decision... either way I'd be happy to play against you with a model using a pair of hammers and you can say what hes using, whether it be a pick, pair of hammers or a mallet, doesnt matter in most games, just for super nit picky tournaments and stuff.

• Like 3

Finally managed to get the pictures of my two testing guys. They may look better under different lighting, but I think they could be good? We’ll see I guess. Since ziatrec has retributor armor as a base, I went with green stuff world’s chameleon paint for the burning gold, and used storm casts as a test for the robes, armor and weapons.

plan is to use the azure on the spear tips, use the gold on the armor and use the purple / red as robes.

F8683E9C-300A-4FA9-9F66-0D03DF4B5AEA.jpeg

AB57DCAB-62EE-481D-9C53-EBA9DFAED395.jpeg

E00CA35C-523B-4AAA-BCA1-091A96459CC9.jpeg

E07A050A-88CA-41F4-9405-02839DC0CF05.jpeg

9366FA55-64AE-45D2-95A3-2C6A85657604.jpeg

thr color shifting doesn’t really come out well on camera... almost looks like a puke yellow

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 3

@Acid_Nine

I like the blue on the weapons, I'll also try to have a similar effect, much like the Ziatrec soldier on their picture in the BT, for my models. The red you use is also a very nice color.

And the gold-green is different to what most other people are doing so I think it's cool. Gives them an interesting angle, which you also could incorporate into your background story for the army (if you do that). Fits well with Zaitrec, who could have some interesting enchantments on their armour. 

Hey ALL!!!

Got a few WIP pics of my Wardens in the Alt scheme for Ymetrica.  I tested out a BUNCH of cool paints, from both TurboDork and Green Stuff World, as shown on the Color Shift Test Spoons photo.  I'll mention that they both say to use Black prime/base coat for get the most out of the color shift effect. And of course I ignored that....

I finally decided that I liked the combo of Army Painter Deep Blue Base with Green Stuff World Celestial Azure.  For me, this combo gives them a real cool "glow" that isn't over the top, but will show up on the table.  I've used a brush, and per their instructions, watered it down and did three thin coats.  Might do more.... not sure that I'll need/want to do any wash/shading, but GSW recommends highlighting with Chosen color [Celestial Azure] mixed with a bit of silver and see what happens.  My plan is to do just the Dark and Light Blue robes, but considering to do the blue headpiece as well.... I tried to get several angles to show off what it looks like.

Thoughts and comments welcome!

Warden Celestial Azure over Deep Blue 4.JPG

Warden Celestial Azure over Deep Blue 3.JPG

Warden Celestial Azure over Deep Blue 2.JPG

Warden Celestial Azure over Deep Blue 1.JPG

Celestial Azure.JPG

Color Shift Test Spoons.JPG

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

@Acid_Nine

I like the blue on the weapons, I'll also try to have a similar effect, much like the Ziatrec soldier on their picture in the BT, for my models. The red you use is also a very nice color.

And the gold-green is different to what most other people are doing so I think it's cool. Gives them an interesting angle, which you also could incorporate into your background story for the army (if you do that). Fits well with Zaitrec, who could have some interesting enchantments on their armour. 

I think i will try at least one more test model, this time with burning gold over retributor gold. The red is just contrast paint so it’s super easy to do, but the armor was a pain on the stormcasts, so I shudder to think what it would be like on the smaller lumineth. I am almost afraid to try one of them, but I will see. If the retributor gold base does work then it saves me like, three coats of black as a primer, so that would be nice. I may just use the gold on weapons and shields..

but otherwise, thank you! I just wish I could paint more with these guys, but I got studying to do!

@Wyliekyote good to see someone else doing the color shift paints too! Are you using an airbrush as well?

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

@Wyliekyote good to see someone else doing the color shift paints too! Are you using an airbrush as well?

Yeah... I shouldn't have got them, but why not!?!?! More Paint!!  And now I'm looking ahead to the next squad and wondering what color shift to use with them.  Lol.  Looking at doing them either Zaitrec  for the magic, or Iliathia, cause... clones. :)

No airbrush.  Just thinned them down, and did three coats.  A slow process, but worth it.  Thinking I might do a fourth to kick it up a notch.