Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Do we have a consensus on the optimal unit sizes for our units for those who have played game’s.   For Zaitrek/Syar Wardens should we be running units of 20 Wardens or multiple units of 10 ? For Ymetrica should we be running 10-15 Stoneguard or multiple units of 5? 

Are we also at maximum efficiency full mountain units Ymetrica, full Auralan or a mixture of everything?  Not sure where our best base lies to build from.

31 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Looks pretty solid. Only thing I would try and squeeze in would be 5 or 10 dawnriders. I think they dd a lot of value to the list as a support unit or late game obj cap unit 

Oh, in my tinkering for serious lists I'm running running the Dawnriders, the above list is purely for thematic amusement, the fact is might work for casual play just makes it more amusing :)

• Like 1

Hail Elves of the Lands of Hysh! 

I am Tûrion Rilyalocë a son of mighty Caledor, looking for sage advice and a place for my noble companion Laurëdrauginir to rest.

I was dispatched  by Imrik to break an army of the great enemy that marched through the mountains of my ward during the great cataclysm. We gave chase as the cowards fled at the sight of the Golden Drake through a shimmering portal that lead to a cave with tunnels wrought of pure light.

Our vengeance on them was terrible and swift, but once battle was ended, the mouth of sorcery could not be found back to Caledor and Ulthuan. 

We searched the labyrinthine shafts endlessly, hoping to rejoin our hosts in the last battle, but became hopelessly lost in passage. 

We fought time after time against Daemons of the void who breached the tunnels through rents that bled out into the very stars. 

By chance or the will of the Gods we happened upon a great battle in this way of webs, and gave aid to strange Elves against the spawn of She Who Thirsts, banishing them back to hell.

These Elves rode mounts of strange metal that soared without wings, their language was none that I could recognize or place, but it was clear that they had humor even in these times, as they spoke they laughed, and every time they moved it was as if in dance. 

One amongst their number, a mage no doubt, knew the runes of our Gods. Thanks to his lore he signed the rune of seeking. To what he sook or what was mine, I took it as a question as he mimed. 

I signed back the ruin of light, and drew a wide circle hoping they knew of that portal to which I could return. His response was the rune of Hysh as he repeated the circle. I nodded my approval and they lead us by their paths to a gate of glittering light. 

When we crossed that barrier, we were not back in Ulthuan as we hoped but here in this land of light. 

So implore you in the name of the Tyrion and Teclis, where are we, and how do we get back in the fight?

E3FB6D39-6E8E-40E5-8B6A-D31F894203F7.jpeg

C62106BE-0B92-49DE-B99C-725D8F85D597.jpeg

C7235912-1BA9-4C67-A360-58E64DA7340B.jpeg

429DCB05-4A45-45AD-BC22-97EE36F454FA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 7

1 hour ago, ageofsquigmar said:

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/teclis-vanguard-4-drop-95-model-crowd-control-arrows/

I just created a LRL list and pointed out my thoughts on it. Feel free to comment/ask questions

I like the list. I was thinking about something similar, in case I don’t like to bring Teclis. Just two things: There is a typo (it says GN of Ymetrica), and all your Cathaller’s have access to one more sprell they know. 

One thing which will be interesting to see is if Wardens will be good in those smaller units (more flexibility, more spells) or if larger units turn out to be better.

You could also think about taking one Stonemage instead of one of your Cathallar, in case you are planning to do lots of battleshock shenanigans, the -2/-1 to bravery spell likely will be pretty helpful. Entomb could also be helpful (at least having the option to cast it forces your opponent to think about how he sets up his units). 

Some other Endless Spells like Balewind could also be interesting. 

Still not sure though if in the end you won’t miss Teclis’ abilities, but it’s definitely worth to try and see how it works and then to adjust it from there. 

How do I give my wizards more spells? I am starting AoS with this army. On the warsroll of the cathalar is written it knows mystic shield, arcane shot and his own spell. However the list a few comments above gives the cathalar and the wardens two more spells out of the lore of hysh (the lore where everyone but the Alarith have access to). How?

15 minutes ago, fenriswolf2003 said:

How do I give my wizards more spells? I am starting AoS with this army. On the warsroll of the cathalar is written it knows mystic shield, arcane shot and his own spell. However the list a few comments above gives the cathalar and the wardens two more spells out of the lore of hysh (the lore where everyone but the Alarith have access to). How?

Top of page 68: "chose or roll for one spell from one of the following tables for each Wizard". This is also where Teclis gets all the spells from.

The Lore of Hysh and Lore of the High Peaks then specify which wizards can roll/choose on those tables.

30 minutes ago, fenriswolf2003 said:

Every wizard can pick a spell from their appropriate list. So, your Cathalar has Mystic Shield, Arcane Missle, his own spell and a spell from the Lore of Hysh. In addition, OP chose Zaitrec as his Great Nation (although the list says Ymetrica) which gives every wizard the ability to cast Overwhelming Heat (which isn't really part of the Lore of Hysh list, another typo). That's why you see multiple spells per unit on the list. 

From a hobby point of view I'm starting to think that the Lumineth are going to be an awful choice for new players. 

I assembled my first Dawnrider yesterday, which took well over an hour. Some key takeaways:

- Mold lines as bad as I've ever seen them. It's not only their positioning but also the quality. They feel way to harsh and pronounced for a brand new mold, which makes me think that they changed up things a bit in course of catching up with COVID. OBR Models where way better in that regard. 

- Tons of subassemblies required. I'm usually a "if a brush can't reach it you aint gonna see it" type of guy and love painting my models fully assembled. On these models, however, not a chance. There are at least 3 subassemblies per rider, with serious hobbyists going up to 4,5 or even more. To make things worse for beginners, the way the kit goes together doesn't allow for clear subassemblies as the riders legs go with the horse instead of with the body. 

- Unclear gates. I messed up at least one part that I had to repair with filing and molding on the first rider as it was really hard to make out what's part of the model and what's the gate. 

- Lots of fiddly bits that break real easy. 

- That Paintjob... Seriously, I painted a couple of Thousand Sons and swore to myself that I'm never going to paint another army with such a rim type of armor. I don't know why I picked up this damn army as the rim on these models is about a million times worse, plus, there are at least a thousand details on every unit, which aren't even very expensive, points wise (so you gotta paint a ton of 'em). 

As a PS regarding the last point: I did a test model (see attached) to try a few things out. If you want to paint the rim anywhere like that, the color you want to use below the gold (as a foundation and shading at the edges) is contrast Wyldwood, straight out of the pot. I cannot stress enough how much of a help it is. The marks on the spear blade are from the cat. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 20.00.37.jpeg

Edited by ChrisNoAnts
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Did a test model while I wait for my basing supplies to arrive. Going to tweak a few things but overall I'm happy with it. Going to be based on cobblestone streets with a light dusting of snow. Regardless of how they play, I found this guy a joy to paint, but definitely not an army to rush out in time for a tournament. It really rewards taking your time.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-05 at 09.28.36 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-05 at 09.28.36 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-05 at 09.28.36.jpeg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, fenriswolf2003 said:

It's also the allegiance ability of Zaitrec

Edited by ageofsquigmar

30 minutes ago, Ashes said:

One of the two spell lores states that Light of Eltharion can pick from this list but his warscroll doesn’t say that he’s a wizard. Strange. 

True story. Weird. Maybe it's kind of a relic. Maybe LoE has been a wizard somewhen while writing the tome. Or there will be something in the upcoming FAQ

37 minutes ago, Ashes said:

One of the two spell lores states that Light of Eltharion can pick from this list but his warscroll doesn’t say that he’s a wizard. Strange. 

They already confirmed that eltharions name on the spell lore is a mistake and that it will get a errata. Light of Eltharion isn't and never will be able to cast.

• Thanks 1

@Prince Tûrion Rilyalöce Good model. You could proxy him as Avalenor, as he's a Character and a large unit. If you have Archers, they go well as Sentinels and Spearmen can be Princes. Silver Helms and Dragon Princes could both be the Lumineth cavalry. Swordmasters or White Lions could be the Stoneguard.

@Gecktron Love the designs for the Great Nations! Going to use them for sure!

Edited by Atreides
  • Thanks 1

I’m not enamoured of the prospect of assembling 15 more Dawnriders, but...

There are 2 extra helm fronts (the “leader” helm) and at least 1 extra helm back with a different design. So across 2 units this let’s you easily have 2 different sets of heads. (Or you can save them up to avoid cow helms like I plan to do...)

The lance arms should be pretty easy to reposition a little so that the same base has a slight variation in pose. Adding pennants to some of them will change it up even more for quick table viewing.

I generally agree with ChrisNoAnts’ assessment of them though. (Mind I just left the shields off, nothing else seemed an issue for assembled painting.)

2 hours ago, Atreides said:

@Prince Tûrion Rilyalöce Good model. You could proxy him as Avalenor, as he's a Character and a large unit. If you have Archers, they go well as Sentinels and Spearmen can be Princes. Silver Helms and Dragon Princes could both be the Lumineth cavalry. Swordmasters or White Lions could be the Stoneguard.

@Gecktron Love the designs for the Great Nations! Going to use them for sure!

Good idea on the proxy. I will only be bringing this model forward though, as the new models are beauty.

Would anyone happen to know what size base Avelenor is on?

Hoping the Tyrionic side will be more inline with rules and models for a “Caledorian” style reinvention with wind and zenith. 

So until then, this guy travelled through the webway avoiding death in the world ending to lead an army in Hysh haha.

Edited by Prince Tûrion Rilyalöce

In preparation of the new GHB, I kitbashed a melee Lumineth hero. I was thinking about something like "Vanari Myrmidion". He is suppossed to be a Warden that has climbed the Teclian ladder, so more a champion like hero. 

Obviously the specific rules depend on how it works in the GHB, but I want him to be a stronger version of the Warden unit leader. 

IMG_20200705_192126__01.jpg.2cf508f5b0cbe3baf823390210b205d4.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 4

2 hours ago, Prince Tûrion Rilyalöce said:

Good idea on the proxy. I will only be bringing this model forward though, as the new models are beauty.

Would anyone happen to know what size base Avelenor is on?

Hoping the Tyrionic side will be more inline with rules and models for a “Caledorian” style reinvention with wind and zenith. 

So until then, this guy travelled through the webway avoiding death in the world ending to lead an army in Hysh haha.

Honestly my friend, i would recommend using this beautiful miniature as an Allied Idoneth Eidolon, either of the sea or the storm, they are both on 100mm bases like Avelanor. But while they miss out on Lumineth faction rules, they fly, have a similar profile to other aos dragon warscrolls.

Avelanor is slow moving, and cant fly, which means his warscroll could work, but wouldnt fit the miniature thematically.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

Honestly my friend, i would recommend using this beautiful miniature as an Allied Idoneth Eidolon, either of the sea or the storm, they are both on 100mm bases like Avelanor. But while they miss out on Lumineth faction rules, they fly, have a similar profile to other aos dragon warscrolls.

Avelanor is slow moving, and cant fly, which means his warscroll could work, but wouldnt fit the miniature thematically.

That’s a great insight, thank you for the suggestion! I actually thought of that when I was considering the proxy, the lack of fly. I was going to just use the double move spell to make sense of it, but your suggestion is better in theme and function. 

Appreciate it!

41 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

In preparation of the new GHB, I kitbashed a melee Lumineth hero. I was thinking about something like "Vanari Myrmidion". He is suppossed to be a Warden that has climbed the Teclian ladder, so more a champion like hero. 

Obviously the specific rules depend on how it works in the GHB, but I want him to be a stronger version of the Warden unit leader. 

IMG_20200705_192126__01.jpg.2cf508f5b0cbe3baf823390210b205d4.jpg

Oh man the Aevles of the realm are talented indeed. Love this incarnation 👌🏼

Guys I'm not sure whether this works rulewise but I was thinking if the balewind vortex works with Protection of Hysh we could have a nice 15 inches bubble for a 5+ ward save.. and what if we can combine that with the sanctum of Amyntok..  if one chooses Iliatha we can get a command trait..

So imagine a Stonemage with 8 wounds 3+ save which will ignore -1 rend, -2 to hit due to Amyntok and look out sir and the 5+ ward save which he will give 15 inches around him.. sounds tasty.. 🙂 

And even with just the balewind we could have the spell on multiple mages and even if one gets killed we'll be able to cast it with another one..