Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HollowHills

Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

I am really in love with the army and everything that can be done with it, I am in love with everything including the models except one....Scinari Cathaller. Does anyone have any conversion/alternate ideas that can be done on this one model? I would gladly accept any tips on that :)

• Like 1

Im finding it hard to decide between Avelenor or the generic Moontain.

But  saying I wont be getting Teclis then both may work fine  especially if Ymetrica and their batallion. However im wondering how common -2 rend is  seems better for our moontains than the stoneguard since high rend will be aimed at our beasties.

I feel lile Avelenors command ability, aura, and more attacks may edge out despite lower rend (which for me -1 is always fine) but also less to wound. Any ideas?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Miyokari said:

I am really in love with the army and everything that can be done with it, I am in love with everything including the models except one....Scinari Cathaller. Does anyone have any conversion/alternate ideas that can be done on this one model? I would gladly accept any tips on that :)

You could try and find an arch mage from old Fantasy in order to replace it, say it's from the same caste and maybe model the chalice / brazier on the ground next to them. Some other models I think I myself am going to use are in the spoilers, whether as wardens or as heroes I'm not sure. 

@Adammck66 I have the same Dilemma. I think if I can spare the 20 points I'd go with Avalorn. 2 more wounds, one more attack is fine, but his real reason for being there over the base mountain is his aura that hits everyone in 12" rather than just 1 unit in 12". Makes the defense seem that much better, and he still hits like an absolute truck.

Edited by Acid_Nine

So, I'm battling humidity to hopefully get a chance to paint up my Wardens as hailing from the Great Nation of Syar and was picking through the rules, including an artefact they get that I enjoy, The Perfect Blade...

Unless I'm mistaken, the only two who can (and, in fact, must) take this great combat artefact are... The Scinari Cathallar and the Alarith Stonemage. Both of whom aren't exactly raring to go in close combat. Every other hero is a Unique, which is quite a bummer. Am I missing something, or are we pretty much just stuck giving our mages (probably the Stonemage) The Perfect Blade, ideal for hunting monsters and dangerous combat heroes?

So far we are stuck with our 2 non-combat mages.  Our only hope in the short term is the Anvil of Apotheosis, and the rumor that it can be used in Pitched battle if your opponent agrees.  From the rules they have already shown, you can make a combat Aelf, which will inherit the <Lumineth Realm Lord> keyword, and through that the Nation keywords.  Unfortunately, I have doubts that they will be able to give your hero a <Vanari>, <Cathallar>, or <Alarith> keyword, so the synergies will end at just having the LRL and Great Nation keywords & rules.

This will work out in my meta, my group already house rules some things once in a while and loves kitbashed heroes and such, but this will not be a good solution for anyone in a more competitive meta, or tournaments, who I doubt will allow the Anvil of Apotheosis rules.  For everyone else, our only hope is that eventually(tm) we will get the other 60% of the army that the lore teases us with,  including Close Combat Heroes, Artillery, Chariots, Sky Temple ( Fox Spirit, Skirmish Calvary, Flying Mage), River Temple (River Spirit, Light Skirmish Infantry, River Mage), and the Zenith Temple (Sun/Phoenix Spirit, Aelves made of Light who I expect will be heroes due to their rarity, supposedly there are literally only a handful), and Tyrion himself.  So yea... while what is out looks really cool, I still can't shake the tidal wave of disappointment by the limitations of this release.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Miyokari said:

I'm looking into converting the Mistweaver Saih a little.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/mistweaver-saih

Trim off some of the more pointy/dark aelf vibes, perhaps replace the sword with something old high elf from my bits box.

8 hours ago, Maturin said:

Hey guys, can anyone of you post a comparison picture of LRL spearmen vs HE spearmen please ?
To my great shame I bought the box, still waiting for it to arrive. Won't have time to build it before october.

I'm wondering if those wardens could be a viable replacement for decrepit HE spearmen.

Cheers :)

Here you go

1095230B-A22B-4D6E-A22F-39312D487A3C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

@Azamar Thanks mate! Too bad I won't be able to use them as replacement. They're way bigger.

Going for a bright silver for these guys, would it be best to spray them grey or leadbelcher?

Then any idea what a nice bright shiny silver is? Not sure if Id be best applying a blue shade/gloss before the layers or straight after the undercoat.

4 hours ago, Miyokari said:

I quite like the model, but she is so precise I don’t think I could, in good conscience, field two of them, although I do want two of the wizards on the field.

My plan is to do a simple head swap on the rock mage, after all a cathallar is just an aelven mage, as is the rock mage, so I don’t see why they couldn’t both just stand for different types of mages. One who prefer robes and has a magic chalice, and another who has some armor and a staff. I might even trade out the tip of the staff for a spear head.

Yikes. How did I ever love high elf spearman???

seriously though, the new sculpts really highlight the improvement in design. Although after getting my box, I do wish they were a little more customizable, especially the unit leaders. They have cool poses, but are so unique that it’ll look strange when they begin to pile up in multiple units. You can trade their weapons around a little but it only goes so far. Might have to have a few spear-holding captains here and there.

• Like 1

Anyone else have some bent Warden pike? They are thin enough to the point I worry about the old hot water trick and the hand placement done for the machining makes me a bit cautious for the historic wargame brass rods.

5 hours ago, Miyokari said:

I am using the sorceress as base of conversion, along a Phoenix Guard brazier.

Nice work!  I am in total awe of people who do conversion work.  My preference is more toward the painting side.

Speaking of, my new paints came in today!

20200702_164542.jpg

20200702_164548.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Miyokari said:

I also think the mistweaver saih is a good option. It has the flowing mist which could represent the smoke from the brazier on the cathaller. 

this is a conversion of her I did quite some time ago

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

45 minutes ago, Evangelist of Cinders said:

Anyone else have some bent Warden pike? They are thin enough to the point I worry about the old hot water trick and the hand placement done for the machining makes me a bit cautious for the historic wargame brass rods.

I’ve seen this on the games workshop studio models too, I think they are trying to add realism to how pikes bend in reality due to the flexibility of the wood and heavy metal tip.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, elfhead said:

I also think the mistweaver saih is a good option. It has the flowing mist which could represent the smoke from the brazier on the cathaller. 

This is being stolen. By me. I am stealing this idea. It is stolen.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, elfhead said:

This looks amazing and makes me want to change her exactly like you did! Which head is it ? :o

Also thanks everyone for the help! I already have several ideas for conversion, so thank you so much :)

6 hours ago, Miyokari said:

If you've got cash to burn the Alarielle model from late WHFB would make a great cathaller.

8 hours ago, Miyokari said:

Bretonnian Damsel on foot,Lahmia on foot or the wood elf spell weaver work  thematically . unsure on the base size of the Cathaller though. I plan on proxying  my bretonnians(pin them on the base a while back so just move the infantry onto a larger base) for a at home game

6 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

If you've got cash to burn the Alarielle model from late WHFB would make a great cathaller.

I have the the one from Early WHFB to use. I really like that Mistweaver conversion though. Some more sincerest flattery heading that way as I have her unbuilt too.

The anvil of apotheosis preview is looking good. The only bad thing is that he will either cost 200 or 400 but nothing in-between.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:20 PM, Azamar said:

Finished my first warden. Bit of a test colour scheme but I like it well enough to do the rest the same way, although white clothes are a bit tricky. 

no particular great nation as I probably won’t focus on just one to start with. 

C3BF394C-D72D-44DB-9330-B1DDB2FDF70E.jpeg

Really like that scheme! What colours did you use for the outer robe? One of the contrast paints thinned down?

Does the battletome talk about what the wind temple warriors look like?   or the river  warriors?