Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Finished my first warden. Bit of a test colour scheme but I like it well enough to do the rest the same way, although white clothes are a bit tricky. 

no particular great nation as I probably won’t focus on just one to start with. 

C3BF394C-D72D-44DB-9330-B1DDB2FDF70E.jpeg

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Azamar said:

Finished my first warden. Bit of a test colour scheme but I like it well enough to do the rest the same way, although white clothes are a bit tricky. 

no particular great nation as I probably won’t focus on just one to start with. 

Looks good! The light blue on the armor works very well with the golden details!

I also finished painting some miniatures today. Here my first Dawnrider:

1269500893_YmetricaRider.jpeg.b078f0dde44075caad2453d1ada413df.jpeg

I really like the idea of the Ymetrica Aelfs making heavy use of triangle patterns. So I added some to the little backbanners of the Dawnriders. 

• Like 16
  • LOVE IT! 2

47 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Looks good! The light blue on the armor works very well with the golden details!

I also finished painting some miniatures today. Here my first Dawnrider:

1269500893_YmetricaRider.jpeg.b078f0dde44075caad2453d1ada413df.jpeg

I really like the idea of the Ymetrica Aelfs making heavy use of triangle patterns. So I added some to the little backbanners of the Dawnriders. 

Man seeing all these great painted models and knowing  mine will look like Mr.Blobby is fantastic but disheartening lol 

I should be starting mine on Thursday when I have access to my kit again 

What Blue is that?

3 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Man seeing all these great painted models and knowing  mine will look like Mr.Blobby is fantastic but disheartening lol 

I should be starting mine on Thursday when I have access to my kit again 

What Blue is that?

Dont get demotivated! Remember, Practice makes perfect! And for every nicely painted model you see online, there are at least 10 test-runs you dont see. 

The dark blue is GW Kantor Blue, and the lighter one is Caledor sky.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

So far Zaitrec is my favorite. I always liked the Moon Conncetion as an Elven Fantasy Trope and the fact that they are overly fascinated by magic and like to research stuff is just so fitting for Hysh and a People who have something other/better to do, than to wage war. :) It is also nice that the Zaitrec-Realmlords seem so fascinated with the magic that it is bordering on naivety - and oddly I can relate haha :D

Also - quite a nice Paint Scheme!

100% agree with you there. It's like someone from GW was in my head, put everything I like together and made it into the Zaitreci. And they even found a fitting mechanic for "studying all magic" within the rules.   

About the societal background of the Lumineth, we don't know much, but we got some information and can deduce some other things from what we have.

- All 8 nations have their own culture. So it's likely that they do not all have the exactly the same governmental system. Likely the Tyrionic societies are more fundamentally different from the Teclian than each of those are within themselves.

- The writers use the term "Scinari mage caste" in the book. If that wasn't just done without giving much thought to it, it does mean that there are castes. But the aelementiri temples could be a means to overcome the societal rank you were born into. This would fit with the information we have, that in the past a hermit who was very high on the Teclimentari ladder could order a King around. Or that Zaitreci who are favored by Celennar are held in high esteem. 

- Syan is a "Magocracy". It says so in the battletome. It isn't mentioned, but Zaitrec likely also seems to be a Magocracy. Same could be true for Ymetrica - with a special role there for the Alarith.

- Like in many of other Realms - most of the population seems to live in larger cities, because it's not safe outside of the larger population centers. But the Lumineth seem to have at least managed to keep a somewhat larger area relatively safe, as they managed to burn their huge guarding sigils into the ground (those can be seen on the Ymetrica map) to safeguard Chaos incursions, and all those mountain temples must be able to survive and there are even lone travelers showing up. On the other hand, the writers mention that Zaitrec's capital(?) Tor Xillion is still beleaguered by Chaos, and the territory around Ar-Ennascath is so messed up and haunted by endless spells that it's almost impossible to get there. It generally looks like that in the safer places, where Chaos has less influence, roaming endless spells are the biggest threat. 

- It seems that generally on the Teclian side mages are in charge. I guess, specifically the aelementiri mages of the higher levels should have much influence (we know one is/was the ambassador to Ulgu). It says that Syan is a Magocracy, the leading matriarchs of Iliatha are mages if I'm not mistaken, and mages also lead the citizen military in all 8 nations. The temples could function a bit like the buddhist temples in Japan during the middle ages. Standing relatively apart from the rest of society, but having political influence because of their cultural and military power. 

- Tyrionic nations I imagine are more like Prussia + Merlin. Their societies being build around the needs of the military, with lords and ladies formally in charge of  both, the nations as well as their armies, while being advised by Scinari/Aelementiri mages. But that's pure speculation as we almost know nothing about them. 

- All in all I get the feeling, GW was thinking of Hysh's societies being still somewhat similar to Ulthuan. Centered mostly around a few large cities. With Tyrionic societies being more like Caledor, and Teclian more like Saphery. Added to that, you have the Aelementiri sects. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

Man I am still waiting for my paints to arrive... I just hope it’s worth it! Also need a non- humid day to go and spray paint... I decided to do sub assemblies for each dude so I can paint the face and cloth easier with contrast paints, and not worry about trying to do full detail on each face. 

@LuminethMage never considered a magocracy, which makes sense. I just want to know if there is one king and many princes like the old Ulthuan system of government for each nation, or is there a mage council for each city that rules as a governing body. I know it doesn’t matter in the long run, but it would have been nice to know about, especially during the spire fall event, whether or not the governments were the main cause of the mess or the individual land owners were. Maybe I missed something that said that, may have to re-read. How much the lumineth control now would be nice too, like certain boarders of nations / chaos territory, but that is something AOS struggled with for a while.

12 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Man I am still waiting for my paints to arrive... I just hope it’s worth it! Also need a non- humid day to go and spray paint... I decided to do sub assemblies for each dude so I can paint the face and cloth easier with contrast paints, and not worry about trying to do full detail on each face. 

@LuminethMage never considered a magocracy, which makes sense. I just want to know if there is one king and many princes like the old Ulthuan system of government for each nation, or is there a mage council for each city that rules as a governing body. I know it doesn’t matter in the long run, but it would have been nice to know about, especially during the spire fall event, whether or not the governments were the main cause of the mess or the individual land owners were. Maybe I missed something that said that, may have to re-read. How much the lumineth control now would be nice too, like certain boarders of nations / chaos territory, but that is something AOS struggled with for a while.

I'm waiting for my paints too, uggh. And have the same problem with humidity here. 

I totally understand what you mean, it's really vage. Pure speculation, but I imagine the Teclian nations being more of a council type government (as they are all about reflection, deliberation etc.), whereas the Tyrionic ones are more likely to have one noble/royal person on top who is calling the shots, but has an advisory council of sorts. But yeah it's not in the book, so we do not know. In the autumn, the Soulbound RPG will release a book which introduces the Lumineth to the setting (among other things). We might get a bit more information on the society there. The did that for the Aqshy, but it depends of course if they have more information or not. 

The Spire Fall seems to have been caused by what started as rivalries between really powerful individuals which eventually escalated until they involved whole nations. The source seems to have been those powerful individuals, not governments as such, but eventually governments also got involved (as is hinted in both the Iliatha and Syar sections).  It seems like at that point they had many super powerful individuals who weren't much restrained or concerned with the wider society anymore. Because all the examples are about individual rivalries. And you have small snippets of information like: "they wanted to transcended Hysh", "they learned to fight together again, with different troops types supporting each other". The Spire Fall picture also shows this. The Mage doesn't seem to be concerned at all by all the death and destruction around him. Whereas the normal population still is. This also fits with the surpression of emotion due to Aetherquartz (the whole rivalry thing fits much less with that though). 

How much they control - I think this is deliberately kept in the dark, as they write sometimes a bit contradicting things about this. 

• Like 1

So LRL have deepkin as allies in the book, but the preview of the 2020 handbook has them as 'desperate allies'.

Seems like GW is struggling to keep consistency between different rules and fluff writers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ashes said:

In our group we mainly play 1.000 - 1.250 point games and I wonder if Lumineth will be efficient given that low point range (no Teclis,...).

What are your thoughts on this?

thanks!

I’m looking at the following for 1000pts games:

1 Cathallar 140

1 Light of Eltharion 220

Wardens x20 240

Sentinels x10 140

Dawnriders x5 130

Dawnriders x5 130

I play time try out Syar and Zaltec as both seem good for the list 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ashes said:

In our group we mainly play 1.000 - 1.250 point games and I wonder if Lumineth will be efficient given that low point range (no Teclis,...).

What are your thoughts on this?

thanks!

I think they look like they will do really well at lower point levels. Since all the Vanari units are wizards on top of your hero wizards you will have access to a lot of spells and casts so you can get a lot of buffs or offensive spells going that other armies at that level will struggle to deal with. On top of this everything has really solid stats so they can hold their own in a battle. I am planning on skipping Teclis completely even at 2000 points so the fact that the army seems to work really well even without him is a big relief.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My group are hoping to do an escalation campaign once we're allowed to meet indoors again. Steps = 500, 1000, 1250, 1750. I also intend to skip Teclis, planning:

# Lumineth Realm-lords 500pts

Light of Eltharion	220
Wardens		x10	120	Battleline, Overwhelming Heat, Etheral Blessing
Dawnriders	x5	130	Battleline*, Overwhelming Heat, Speed of Hysh
Zaitrec
# Lumineth Realm-lords 1000pts

Light of Eltharion	220
Cathallar		140	General, Gift of Celennar, Overwhelming Heat, Lambent Light, Protection of Hysh
Wardens		x20	240	Battleline, Overwhelming Heat, Solar Flare
Sentinels	x10	140	Battleline*, Overwhelming Heat, Total Eclipse
Dawnriders	x5	130	Overwhelming Heat, Speed of Hysh
Zaitrec
# Lumineth Realm-lords 1250pts

Cathallar		140	General, Gift of Celennar, Overwhelming Heat, Lambent Light, Protection of Hysh
Light of Eltharion	220
Wardens		x20	240	Battleline, Overwhelming Heat, Solar Flare
Dawnriders	x10	260	Overwhelming Heat, Speed of Hysh
Dawnrider Lance		120
Zaitrec
# Lumineth Realm-lords 1750pts

Cathallar		140	Silver Wand, Overwhelming Heat, Total Eclipse, Ethereal Blessing
Akhelion King		240	Allied (High Elf Prince on Griffon)
Light of Eltharion	220
Wardens		x10	120	Battleline, Overwhelming Heat, Solar Flare
Wardens		x10	120	Battleline, Overwhelming Heat, Protection of Hysh
Dawnriders	x10	260	Overwhelming Heat, Speed of Hysh
Dawnrider Lance		120
Rune of Petrification	70
Hyshian Twinstones	30
Zaitrec

Edit: Updated to reflect Flakman's correction

Edited by John Edwards
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, John Edwards said:

My group are hoping to do an escalation campaign once we're allowed to meet indoors again. Steps = 500, 1000, 1250, 1750. I also intend to skip Teclis, planning:

# Lumineth Realm-lords 500pts

Light of Eltharion	220
Wardens		x10	120	Battleline, Overwhelming Heat, Etheral Blessing
Extra CP		50
Zaitrec

That list is 520 points.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John Edwards said:

Did you guys see the GHB 2020 discussion on the rumour thread about the custom hero creator having a method for calculating matched play points? Someone was reminiscing about the customisation of the old high elf princes...

I can't see GW doing this as they've been moving away from rules without models and this is a complete 180.

Is the ability to customise and create our hero a thing for match play or casual games ? Wonder what that entails. Hopefully some freedom for more artifacts and command traits.

I’m sure will give us some interesting Cathaller and Stonemage combos at the very least lol

1 hour ago, Rors said:

I can't see GW doing this as they've been moving away from rules without models and this is a complete 180.

(GW designer) said on twitter: It's strictly a rule that requires your opponent's permission, but there's a little section at the back of the 'Anvil of Apotheosis' that explains how to calculate an approximate Pitched Battle points cost for your hero"

So possible in matched play but probably only outside of highly competitive groups.

Edited by John Edwards
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

@fenriswolf2003here now all 4 Teclian nations. 

My thoughts behind the other 2 designs:

Zaitrec: the crescent moon represents, obviously, the moon spirits of Hysh, but since the world that was the moon has also been a symbol of magic. 
I also added Celennars rune to represent her role as patron deity of Zeitrec.

Syar: The anvil and the star represents Syars status as a nation of smiths and craftsmen. While the Orle of chains represents their restraint after the tragedy of the spire fall. 
715013139_Teclian3.png.88f22fcf7586a440f5051c5cda26cf0a.png

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 8

So in reality, how dirty is the Voice of the mountain spell combined with the Cathallar's innate spell? Because holy carp, stopping one entire unit from doing anything over two turns would be great for the moment you wanna jump into the offensive, but I admit i'm going to feel like an arsehole when I do it. it's a dirty combo but it can change the bloody game.

3 hours ago, John Edwards said:

(GW designer) said on twitter: It's strictly a rule that requires your opponent's permission, but there's a little section at the back of the 'Anvil of Apotheosis' that explains how to calculate an approximate Pitched Battle points cost for your hero"

So possible in matched play but probably only outside of highly competitive groups.

Wow... if that is true, that will be really interesting.  I know there are some High Elves on Dragons that don't have a home that would love to be included in the Realm Lords through the Anvil of Apotheosis.  My group already house rules a couple things, and I actually think it wont be hard for us to work in the new Anvil Rules.  We aren't very competitive, so it is no skin off our backs.

• Like 2