Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

Man I wanna stay engaged with this forum but I wanna read everything unspoiled first! Such a dilemma... I don’t even wanna write more lists because I am pretty sure I have everything I wanna try!

will ask, has anyone else been practicing ‘formation’ for their shining company? Like moving bases around, making sure every unit is in base to base, how to pile in effectively etc. I may be crazy for doing it, but I am keeping myself occupied at least....

Nope, but I’d love to hear what you’ve learned.

also, I’m loving this faction, like the ranks of spear men, mass volley fire, charging cavalry it’s got everything that I miss from my old high elf days EXCEPT one thing: customization in heroes.

Back in 2nd/3rd Ed HE days you could really creat any kind of high elf noble you liked, from cavalry lance dude, to agile archer dude. It was almost like d’n’d vibes. It is the only thing this release is lacking, they even have my old blade of leaping gold!!!

I know it’s not really the done thing in AOS, but man, I would have LOVED to have some really customized nobles to lead my forces.

• Like 3

I received my pre-order yesterday and having digested the battletome I'm pretty happy with what Games Workshop have delivered. Sure, the range of miniatures is a little limited, but between the nations, spell lores and artefacts there's enough available to engage in some fun list building.

I've enjoyed the fluff. It's nice to finally see Hysh, Tyrion and Teclis fleshed out, also to see a more optimistic High Elf/Aeldari style faction - one on the ascendant rather than simply holding off an inevitable decline (though there are still hints of that).

Page 22 provides flavour for Realm-lord armies and hints at what we could expect to see in future, should the faction prove popular:

• Tyrionic
    • Lord regents / Lady regents / Champions - Combat heroes
    • Archers - Vanari Auralan Sentinels
    • Spearmen - Vanari Auralan Wardens
    • Charioteers
    • Knights - Vanari Dawnriders
    • Artillery
    • Scouts
  • Teclian
    • Loreseekers - Loremaster style spellswords
    • Aelementiri Temples
      • River - tens of thousands of river warriors, presumably some kind of river wizard and river aelementor?
      • Mountains - the Alarith we have seen already, ~ a thousand
      • Wind - rare, air wizards/aelementor? Rare.
      • Zenith - angelic aelves, beings of light/thought. Almost none.

Hopefully we will see a Tyrionic hero and another Aelementiri temple at some point! I would really like a combat hero, I was thinking of using an allied Idoneth Akhelian King (High Elf Prince on Griffon) to scratch that itch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, John Edwards said:

• Teclian
    • Loreseekers - Loremaster style spellswords
    • Aelementiri Temples
      • River - tens of thousands of river warriors, presumably some kind of river wizard and river aelementor?
      • Mountains - the Alarith we have seen already, ~ a thousand
      • Wind - rare, air wizards/aelementor? Rare.
      • Zenith - angelic aelves, beings of light/thought. Almost none.

Good summary! 

Something interesting, the wind temple is described in detail. One section in the tome describes cloud riding wizards, archers on long-limbed riding-beasts and a bow wielding fox-faced spirit. If we compare that with the Alarith, thats basically the full temple (maybe add a named character or two). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gecktron said:

Good summary! 

Something interesting, the wind temple is described in detail. One section in the tome describes cloud riding wizards, archers on long-limbed riding-beasts and a bow wielding fox-faced spirit. If we compare that with the Alarith, thats basically the full temple (maybe add a named character or two). 

Yup, even the name of the Wind Spirit. This almost looks like they have the models for those already. There is a big difference to the other two where it's much more vague ("lots of them" and "zenith mages become angelic incorporeal light dudes"). 

@Xil The Lumineth have an embassy of sorts there, but are also attacked by Malerion sent Shadow Demons (I don't have the book in front of me right now, so it might mis-remember this). And the Lumineth managed to blow a hole into their realm which leads to Ulgu (also on the map we have seen on WarCom which is also in the book) and causes some havoc on both sides. Otherwise not that much about Ulgu in the book. They have the whole Slaanesh story in there again so Malerion and Morathi are mentioned of course, but no real big news there. 

About the heroes - I 100% agree that we could use more generic heroes, but we might not see generic non-named melee fighters. I think the Lumineth are lacking those on purpose, and in the Battletome it's mentioned that after Tyrion re-organized the military and installed his Degree, all the hosts are led by the Scinari mage caste. I hope I'm wrong, or maybe at least a loreseeker-type could be something. Even in case of the mages, I really would like to see a more generic (Mage/Archmage equivalent). The Cathallar is awesome, but also very specific. Some goes for the Stonemage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I just got my box today, and the only complaints I have is that the box seems to be made from the weakest cardboard, the spears are already pre-bent on the sprue, and there is one rein that somehow got popped out of a sprue... but outside of that I am super excited! can't wait to read the book and build those models!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, John Edwards said:

Hopefully we will see a Tyrionic hero and another Aelementiri temple at some point! I would really like a combat hero, I was thinking of using an allied Idoneth Akhelian King (High Elf Prince on Griffon) to scratch that itch.

I was thinking of using the same model for an Eidolon of the Storm! Might be small, though.

How does an Eidolon look as an ally to the Lumineth? 

5 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

About the heroes - I 100% agree that we could use more generic heroes, but we might not see generic non-named melee fighters. I think the Lumineth are lacking those on purpose, and in the Battletome it's mentioned that after Tyrion re-organized the military and installed his Degree, all the hosts are led by the Scinari mage caste. I hope I'm wrong, or maybe at least a loreseeker-type could be something. Even in case of the mages, I really would like to see a more generic (Mage/Archmage equivalent). The Cathallar is awesome, but also very specific. Some goes for the Stonemage. 

Well, that's unfortunate. I was reading about the various probably future units and getting hopeful, but if they don't add more generic heroes including at least one melee option, it almost straight up doesn't matter what else they add.

Oh well. Hopefully Malerion's aelves are cool.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Good point, I'd love to see these. It's curious that the river temple isn't described in any more detail, given the lore says it has the most members, but I guess River Aelves and Sea Aelves are too similar from an aesthetic/sales point of view.

3 hours ago, Atreides said:

I was thinking of using the same model for an Eidolon of the Storm! Might be small, though.

How does an Eidolon look as an ally to the Lumineth? 

I wouldn't object to the model size, though I'm a filthy casual :P

Eidolon of the Storm looks attractive to me if you can fit the points in your list: nice combat hero, can fly, only one minor ability using the IDONETH DEEPKIN keyword.

13 minutes ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Well, that's unfortunate. I was reading about the various probably future units and getting hopeful, but if they don't add more generic heroes including at least one melee option, it almost straight up doesn't matter what else they add.

Oh well. Hopefully Malerion's aelves are cool.

Well, that's just my (not totally unfounded) speculation. They do mention Lords/Ladies also in the book. I think if the first addition is another temple (spirit, mage, special unit) then it becomes really unlikely we'll see a generic melee hero for the Lumineth (or so far off in the future it doesn't matter right now). 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Well, that's just my (not totally unfounded) speculation. They do mention Lords/Ladies also in the book. I think if the first addition is another temple (spirit, mage, special unit) then it becomes really unlikely we'll see a generic melee hero for the Lumineth (or so far off in the future it doesn't matter right now). 

That's fair.

I'm just generally sort of bummed and waiting on a  lot of far off things. My preferred Slaves to Darkness lists are likely to be hit hard by the artefact changes in the GHB, as I really relied on Realm Artefacts. Lumineth as currently available have been kind of a disappointment to me, but might that might turn around with more options. Malerion's aelves have the potential to be the perfect army for me if they go in any of the directions I'm hoping, but who knows if they will...

Basically, I'm trying to be enthused about my miniatures, but having a hard time with it. Time will tell if that's warranted or not.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Are there any leaks yet ?

There's a still floating around from the "This Week in Warhammer" video accompanying the GHB announcement that shows two prominent changes for matched play; 

a) When you select a battleplan, you have to roll to see which realm it takes place in (this may have already been a matched play standard, but I know in the Australian scene at least it wasn't really enforced before.)

b) A direct quote from the video; "If you decide that your army is from a specific Mortal Realm and wish to make one of your artefacts of power a realm artefact, you must pick the realm artefact for your chosen Mortal Realm from the following pages, instead of using an artefact from Malign Sorcery." It shows the Realm of Aqshy as an example which features only a single artefact. 

Basically, it looks like we're losing out on access to the 96 artefact choices from Malign Sorcery and replacing them with 8 from the Generals' Handbook in matched play games. This would mean no more Ethereal Amulet/Aetherquartz Broach/Gryph-Feather Charm/Ghyrstrike/etc unless they make it in as the realm artefact for their respective realm in the GHB. Just as an example in terms of list construction for the armies I own, it affects my Hedonites of Slaanesh (especially if I play Syll'Esskan Host), Daughters of Khaine, Legions of Death and to a lesser extent my Sylvaneth, but won't affect my Tzeentch or Lumineth Realm-Lords. Newer battletomes tend not to rely on the realm artefacts as much, so I can't see this being too big an issue for prospective Lumineth players like us (I haven't come up with a single list idea for them that involved any realm artefacts!)

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think we will get the rest (alarith, teclis etc.) of LRL in July august and then around Christmas/january the wind temple and either the tyrionic vanari (artillery, chariots, more scinarri, scouts and maybe lords/ladies, Tyrion with the sun spirit and one unique hero) or the river and zenith temple in conjunction with it and whatever is left (what didn't yet release of the thing I mentioned and maybe some terrain pieces) we will get 0,5 to 1 year after that. If they will keep the temples like they did with the mountain one (which they should in my opinion) we will see one special unit, the spirit variant for the element, one named spirit and a caster with a lore that's unique to them and teclis per temple. That will justify the 660p price for teclis. I also think that we will get one battalion for each temple and that they will change the teclian vanguard to be able to include every temple battalion but at least one has to be taken. Maybe we also get battalions for the new vanari and a Tyrion battalion. They could also make a battalion featuring the teclian vanguard and the Tyrion battalion just for fun but I don't think they will because that would be around 6000/7000p and noone plays with that much. 

Edited by fenriswolf2003
  • Haha 1

I can't see a follow up release that quickly. They  said on several occasions that a production cycle for new minis is over a year in the making. Before they'll expand a line they'll most likely wait and see how successful a release the original ine is. After that they'd pump design or not depending on the numbers. Assuming GW has any intentions at all of a follow up for LRL we wouldn't see it within 2 years of the original release if my assumptions are correct. If at all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The other thing is that selling us a battletome that would be rendered obsolete in less than six months without prior notification would not go over well at all. I think we're just going to have to accept that this is it for now, but they clearly have concepts or perhaps even renders in the pipeline for when they do revisit the range in a few years time. I can absolutely see Lumineth becoming one of the better supported factions in Age of Sigmar, it's just a matter of waiting for those additions to come and working with what we have now. 

As an aside, I don't think Teclis needs a third spell lore to justify his 660 point cost. He's an incredibly strong support piece and near-unparalleled magical toolbox already just with access to two spell lores!

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lucur said:

I can't see a follow up release that quickly. They  said on several occasions that a production cycle for new minis is over a year in the making. Before they'll expand a line they'll most likely wait and see how successful a release the original line is. After that they'd pump design or not depending on the numbers. Assuming GW has any intentions at all of a follow up for LRL we wouldn't see it within 2 years of the original release if my assumptions are correct. If at all.

I agree. I don't expect to see any more Aelves in this edition of Age of Sigmar, nor any Lumineth before the rumoured Shadow Aelves who I suspect will be part of AoS 3.0 (possibly important to the plot).

• AoS 1.0 - 2015-Q3 - Plot focus = Chaos
    • 2015-Q3 - Sylvaneth
  • AoS 2.0 - 2018-Q3 - Plot focus = Death
    • 2018-Q1 - Daughters of Khaine
    • 2018-Q2 - Idoneth Deepkin
    • 2020-Q2 - Lumineth Realm-lords
  • AoS 3.0 - 2021-Q3? - Plot focus = ???
    • 2021-Q3? - Shadow Aelves?

Edited by John Edwards

2 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Question to all: Either I’m just too dumb right now, or is there no way the Iliatha Ability “Unity of Purpose” can be used? I think there is no Iliatha Vanari unit that can use a Command Ability, or? 

Excellent spot! Vanari combat heroes confirmed :P !!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Question to all: Either I’m just too dumb right now, or is there no way the Iliatha Ability “Unity of Purpose” can be used? I think there is no Iliatha Vanari unit that can use a Command Ability, or? 

In Illiatha they get a command ability. Strike in Unison. I’d also assume that any command ability used on a illatha Vanari unit counts?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

I've been pondering the exact same just a couple hours ago. Only heroes can use the CAs per se, right? Unless it's a typo and it works as @Sleepers mentioned, by affecting two units with the CA at once instead.

Many of the command abilities in the game are not used by heroes, they simply require a hero to be on the field/close to the unit using them. The three in the AoS core book are not used by heroes for example, but by the units themselves. the Iliatha ability is no different.
Seems to be a common misconception though.

Edited by Falkman