Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

26 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

yea, I can see that! I need to prime white / grey for contrast and use the paint on gloss primer for my colorshift ideas, which shouldn't be too hard, just time consuming. I am so excited to paint these guys though, and I need to get my hands on these ****** to start trying it out! Will post results here as well.

You might not need a zénithal highlight on these guys, especially if you are using the turbo shift stuff. I’m pretty sure you want to just paint it on straight to a glossy black primer. It’s not really something you can shade/highlight anyway. 

36 minutes ago, frostfire said:

How do you find the stoneguards?  After a few test games I find the rerolling save is pretty nice but piling in 1'' and  1'' weapons on 32mm bases are huge disadvantage making them kind of tricky in combat. 

They are ok but still fragile I feel like this army is actually hyper fragile. Like I'm imagining squid hoppers running over them. Or just anything that does mortals.  I mean they are clearly not a big blob army they are all one or two wound. I'm worried. It's a good translation of the classic toughness 3 elves but in the hyper killy world of aos2. I think they might really suffer.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

They are ok but still fragile I feel like this army is actually hyper fragile. Like I'm imagining squid hoppers running over them. Or just anything that does mortals.  I mean they are clearly not a big blob army they are all one or two wound. I'm worried. It's a good translation of the classic toughness 3 elves but in the hyper killy world of aos2. I think they might really suffer.

I think this feeling of fragile troops can partly explained by the use of Teclis. Your troops are not that expensive and have average/good  saves (4+) with easy access to very good saves  (3+ save, -1/2 to hit and 5++ teclis save).  But by using Teclis u got 660 points less troops. This leads to a smaller army. 

7 hours ago, Icegoat said:

Book is great but it's clear there is an uber awesome truly amazing Tyrion side of things waiting in the wings. Let's think we've had  no transference of dragon riders, dragon knights,  Phoenix guard. Scycutters? When Tyrion's side does eventually release and GW would be mad not too I dont think the look of the teclis side will be as favourable. Because I'm already salivating over the possibilities that tyrion could bring.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. They have at least another release on the Teclian side (they described the Wind Temple pretty much in detail), and then you have the Zenith (real light elves, or angelic beings), River and war machines if you want. If they want to do that. 

None of the other factions have a second god so far. If we get Kurnoth and Malerion, I think it becomes more likely, but until then I would treat this more as an “if” not “when”. 

On the other hand you have kind of Tyrionic elves in this book - all the Vanari. They are from Teclian nations, but would look pretty much the same for Tyrion’s nations. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LuminethMage said:

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. They have at least another release on the Teclian side (they described the Wind Temple pretty much in detail), and then you have the Zenith (real light elves, or angelic beings), River and war machines if you want. If they want to do that. 

None of the other factions have a second god so far. If we get Kurnoth and Malerion, I think it becomes more likely, but until then I would treat this more as an “if” not “when”. 

On the other hand you have kind of Tyrionic elves in this book - all the Vanari. They are from Teclian nations, but would look pretty much the same for Tyrion’s nations. 

I may be wrong about it but i feel like there is a confusion between nations and temples. The book has Teclis 4 nations but only 1 of the Lumineth Temples: TheMontain, Alarith.

The book say the Vanari are the backbone of all the Lumineth armies so any other temple would be made of 3 Kits if we follow the Alarith example (Hamers, Cows, Stone mage).

So what we miss is:

- 4 Nations (sub alligenaces)

- 3 Elements (Wind, River and Zenith)

- Tyrion himself.

@Thiagoma you are correct. What’s the confusion? All the Temples are Teclian-aligned. From Tyrion you’d get something like lords & ladies, heavy knights, charioteers etc. All of which are good, but I doubt they’ll pick those over more temples if we get an expansion of the range. They basically described the Wind Tempel as if they already have the models, which would all fit in well with the Lumineth range so far: Ranged spirit, monster cavalry and another mage. At the moment this seems to be the most obvious next thing for the Lumineth. 

I’d be super happy to see more generic heroes for the Lumineth (lord/lady on foot or a mount), the loreseeker they mentioned, and a generic Scenari, but I have the feeling they would go with a temple for an expansion. Its perfectly set-up: A spirit, a unit and a hero as you say yourself. 

Of course, they could throw in Tyrion with one of those temples, but right now I would not bet on that. Also not on a book that includes Tyrion, his 4 nations (subfactions) and all kind of extra stuff. If they do that for the Kurnothi or Malerion, then of course there will be a chance they’ll do that for the Lumineth too. But before I see that, I’d not hope on that happening. 

There are so many faction they can still create or expand, from the information we have right now, I just think if we get something new, another Tempel (which is Teclis aligned) is the most likely. If they really release Tyrion in the future,  I think it will be something really big, which at the moment I just can’t see coming for the Lumineth. But, I’d be really happy if they’d do it! 

7 minutes ago, Atreides said:

It's been discussed earlier, but can Vanari units cast spells from the Lore of Hysh?? Thanks all. 

I built Eltharion and he is magnificent!! Love the model.

They absolutely can! Playtesters confirmed they are intended to have access to the Lore of Hysh (whereas it's been confirmed Eltharion having access is an editing mistake.) 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

All the Temples are Teclian-aligned.

I dont see that. The temples do not really feel aligned to any of the Twins. 

Sure, Teclis is the one who found out about then but it doesnt look like they are only workshiped at Teclis nations. The way it was described feels like all the Lumineth follow this doctrines.

28 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

I dont see that. The temples do not really feel aligned to any of the Twins. 

Sure, Teclis is the one who found out about then but it doesnt look like they are only workshiped at Teclis nations. The way it was described feels like all the Lumineth follow this doctrines.

I assume all 8 nations have Aelementiri Tempels, at least it looks like that. My original reply was to a post about how much more awesome the Tyrion side would be in comparison to Teclis. That’s all. 

13 hours ago, ArchaicArc said:

You might not need a zénithal highlight on these guys, especially if you are using the turbo shift stuff. I’m pretty sure you want to just paint it on straight to a glossy black primer. It’s not really something you can shade/highlight anyway. 

this was also my experience, when I used the greenstuff world colorshift (I used them on an eidolon armour), I didn't find it necessary to do any further highlights or shading, it just seemed as the effect would be ruined and it looked cool anyways

Does anyone else find it intriguing that we're really lacking in unique command abilities (Teclis and both our mage heroes don't have one) but a non-hero monster in the Alarith Spirit of the Mountain gets one? They make up for this somewhat with the Great Nations, but otherwise as the playtesters point out, it seems they want you to use those CP on the core set available to all factions. 

It also just makes me even more curious as to why the Alarith isn't a hero choice, as it would open up so many options for us with regards to artefact usage (many of ours are combat-based, but only available to squishy, slow wizards.) It very well may be intentional, but it just strikes me as odd. Loving the book otherwise!

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 1

Does the new tome go into the whole thing about souls? How did Teclis manage to create a somewhat stable Group of elves. are there any negative consequences from the time in Slaanesh’ belly? Are the Lumineth aware their souls are from te old world? Do these souls reincarnate? 

• Like 1

What would also interest me if there is any Lore about the Sphiranxes which got corrupted and became the Mindstealer Sphiranxes we know from Warcry. Sphinxes are an unexplored Design Space in AoS right now, I think. Also I really liked the Mindstealer Sphiranx Design, so otherwordly and creepy and regal.

Now imagine smaller Celennar like Sphinxes fighting alongside the Lumineth for example or Sphinx-Riding Lumineth Mages (a bit like Evocators on Dracolines), man I would really dig that. :D 

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaskier said:

Does anyone else find it intriguing that we're really lacking in unique command abilities (Teclis and both our mage heroes don't have one) but a non-hero monster in the Alarith Spirit of the Mountain gets one? They make up for this somewhat with the Great Nations, but otherwise as the playtesters point out, it seems they want you to use those CP on the core set available to all factions. 

It also just makes me even more curious as to why the Alarith isn't a hero choice, as it would open up so many options for us with regards to artefact usage (many of ours are combat-based, but only available to squishy, slow wizards.) It very well may be intentional, but it just strikes me as odd. Loving the book otherwise!

Yup, likely intentional - maybe the Sprit was a a hero at first, and it turned out to be too strong. Not having hero options besides slow, squishy mages it likely on purpose, I doubt that's something they just missed. 

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

Does the new tome go into the whole thing about souls? How did Teclis manage to create a somewhat stable Group of elves. are there any negative consequences from the time in Slaanesh’ belly? Are the Lumineth aware their souls are from te old world? Do these souls reincarnate? 

Teclis improved the process after the Idoneth, it doesn't go much deeper than "practice makes perfect". Difficult to say if there are consequences, the Lumineth could say, all the issues that let to the civil war occurred because of Slaanesh's influence, but then they pretty much just behaved like High Elves. Official fluff is that the Lumineth are the most stable, sane and whole of the saved souls, but still have some lingering dark stain which can always become prominent in Hysh (because where there is light there is shadow). So they always have to guard against that. But to be honest, those negative traits are not really different from High Elves/Eldar (pride, hubris etc.). What is cool is, that they are trying to overcome them, and the whole story is more positive, optimistic. I like that for once it's not always about dying out next month. They still can be arrogant ****** though, that point is made very clear. 

The Lumineth vaguely know that they are from another world (there are legends about that time), but no real remembrance. I don't think the book touches upon them reincarnating or not. I might have overlooked that though. It doesn't look like it, considering all the cloning etc., re-incarnation is not mentioned. 

@Aloth_Corfiser Nothing about that in the book, if I haven't overlooked it. It's possible that some of the other temples ride something like that, the Wind Temple warriors are mentioned to ride some kind of mount, but those do sound a bit different ("long-limbed riding beasts"). We know nothing about the spirits of the Zenith faction though. Just that the Zenith Mages become incorporeal and angelic (which could just mean something like Eltharion, because the Lumineth as such as described as angelic, or really angel-looking like). 

• Like 1

Soul Wars, mentioned at several places, mostly though the Lumineth were still focused on fighting Chaos in Hysh. For example I don’t think there is anything in the book about the Gate to Eightpoints, for example. 

Now the Bad Moon, yup! The Great Nation of Zaitrec (the most magical of the Lumineth factions) is all about Celennar and moons in general. They talk to them etc. And their biggest enemy, which they try to control (so far in futile), is the Bad Moon. 

Edited by LuminethMage

39 minutes ago, xking said:

Does the book mention anything about the soul wars?  Also can you talk about the moon Spirit? Does it have a rivalry with a bad moon?

The Soul Wars are mentioned, yes. But more in the form of the aftermath of the Necroquake. Even though the Lumineth erected spires of aetherquarz to stabilize the realms, the wave of necrotic energy still animated hordes of skeletons and set free legions of Nighthaunt. Wild Endless Spells roam the realm now and the edges of the realmsphere are destabilizing at an alarming rate. 

This event lead to the Lumineth ending their isolation. They realized that events that happen in one realm, can still affect them in Hysh. 

We dont know Celennars opinion on the Bad Moon. But the Great Nation of Zaitrec worships Celennar, the true Moon, and the other moons of Hysh. But they fear the Bad Moon. Against all their efforts to force him into orderly patterns, it still moves as it pleases, which terrifies the people of Zaitrec. 

Planning my first lists, I'm really liking the idea of a bravery bomb combined with the cathallar scroll spell and vertigo spell to pin important units in place and hit them with a rune of petrifaction for as many mw chances as possible.

1984148166_Screenshot_20200628-124238_SamsungNotes.jpg.d3ace143aab3d638ec0650fc9a7ec5bb.jpg

Teclis list run as syar to spam the aetherquartz reserve to get -1 bravery on as much as possible and autocast the -2 bravery spell, pin 2 units and hit them with the rune and teclis nuke through the spell portal. 3 drops so a good chance of first turn choice.

1099074048_Screenshot_20200628-124636_SamsungNotes.jpg.19c3ab2eae85c08c8aeaa30989a3c75b.jpg

No teclis run as generic so I can put the -1 bravery bubble on a stonemage for a potential -4 bravery. Twinstone buffs the casting to make sure i get the bravery and 2cp spells off and the dawnriders are there to cast solar flare to prevent the rune being unbound. Eltharion is just there for funsies and as a troubleshooter piece. 7 drops but more bodies and movement at the cost of some mw output and worse 5++ bubble.

28 minutes ago, xking said:

So  the battletome confirms that there are multiple moons in  Hysh?   Also anything on the other elemental groups and what their warriors look like?

Yes. As far as I understand it, there are multiple moons, waxing and waning. These moons are only partially physical. They periodically materialize and fade into incorporeality. Only Celennar, the true Moon, always orbits above the realm sphere (Its important to remember that the sky above the realmsphere is just as magical as the edges).

Other groups are mentioned. The Aelementari of the Zenith temple can turn into beings of pure light, while the warriors of the River temple are described as swift dexterous warriors. There is a short tale that features horse archers and a "fox-faced" bow wielding spirit of the Wind Temple. 
Oh, there is also a mention of a River Spirits, but they arent described in any detail. 

• Like 1

Man I wanna stay engaged with this forum but I wanna read everything unspoiled first! Such a dilemma... I don’t even wanna write more lists because I am pretty sure I have everything I wanna try!

will ask, has anyone else been practicing ‘formation’ for their shining company? Like moving bases around, making sure every unit is in base to base, how to pile in effectively etc. I may be crazy for doing it, but I am keeping myself occupied at least....

• Haha 1