Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

4 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

The prices are eyewatering for sure. I can only recommend getting creative with alternative or older Elf models for those who balk at the price but love the lore/gameplay.

The sad thing is though, the models are that good that its a crime to do that. My mind is doing a Gollum right now.

My 2k list, that uses everything from the prerelease box, I have managed to get down to £183 through loot room. I guess that isn't the worst, I am not sure its what my final 2k looks like though for sure!

What do people think of:

LEADERS
Archmage Teclis and Celennar, Spirit of Hysh (660)
Scinari Cathallar (140)
The Light of Eltharion (220)
UNITS
20 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (240)
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120)
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (280)
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (130)
BATTALIONS
Auralan Legion (120)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

That comes in at 1990

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nubgan said:

My mood was that soured that I spent all afternoon looking at how easy a Sylvaneth army is to start. It's crazy when Alarielle which is a chunkier and more attractive model is £20 cheaper. I get about 4 times as much infantry for the same price too. 

But you have to throw money at minimum 4 wyldwoods which evens the cost field a bit

Well, all I can say is that I have not been deterred by the prices, high as they are.  I want this army and so that is the price I will pay (with a bit of discount from my LFGS of course).  In a way it's all relative - I could easily spend more going down the pub in one night than on a box of Sentinels; A branded pair of trainers could get me 3 or 4 boxes (or the army).  Fortunately for me, neither of these are a problem.  On the positive side, these prices will probably not change over the next few years, so when Malerian's Aelves appear in 2023, these will seem cheap by comparison.

I've recently bought 2 boxes of Brutes, which is £65 for 10 models.  I don't think this has ever been a cheap hobby,  but then very few are and many are much more expensive than this one.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Prince Tûrion Rilyalöce said:

So when do the army bundles and start collecting boxes usually come out? 

Start Collecting(!)'s usually land over a year after the initial release, but typically later rather than sooner.

The Christmas Battleforces are usually the year after the release, so Christmas 2021 is when they'll likely get theirs, Ossiarchs this year, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Having just dived in, I was warned that GW... doesn't use lube, nudge nudge....  So even with my FLGS discounts it can get pricey.  So far I am enjoying the Ltd Box, and will order 1 set of: Sentinels and Endless Spells.  Maybe the Warscrolls... so that, as I mentioned before, keep it a 1k list ish.  And slowly build up. 

WOULD: any of you get another LRL Ltd Box set to beef up your collection?  My FLGS has one left, and I could get it, keep the Wardens (maybe the Dawnriders and dice?  I feel that blue dice works way better for these...) and ebay the rest?

But, looking to save a few bucks, and maybe get things to kitbash, what are the thoughts of doing this:

Get a Mistweaver to turn into a Cathallar. (I've really enjoyed doing this for my other Cathallar, so another one? Why not)

Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers or Phoenix Guard or Black Guard or Dreadspears as a proxy for another set of Wardens?  The Eternal/Wildwood are going for ~$40 on ebay...

Sisters of the Watch/Shadow Warriors for Sentinels.... ~$40 on ebay.

but what about a fun Alt for Calvary?  I dig these: DrakeSpawn, but use the LRL horses?  Dark Riders, Sisters of the thorn/Wild Riders?

And, in regards to scale, how do these older models compare to the newer LRL's?

Edited by Wyliekyote

@Nubgan How competitive do you play? If it’s with friends or locally your list should be ok. You have very few bodies, because you have Teclis and Eltharion, but I just saw a similar list on one of the larger e-tournaments. You can start with that, and fiddle around a bit (do 2 x 10 Sentinels work better for you, other Endless Spells etc.). And if you like them, over time you’ll likely find space to add a few more units if you really need them. 

@Wyliekyote The older models seem to be pretty ok in terms of scale. Some can look a bit smaller. If you google it, you’ll find some photos Of people making comparisons, there might even be some in this thread somewhere. On the other hand, if you plan to slowly build up and like the models - I’m sure you’ll also get options to buy Lumineth cheaper on eBay etc. In the future, or even right now. I got my Wardens and Sentinels for $45 at my local shop. Nubgan mentioned a bundle above. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

The older models seem to be pretty ok in terms of scale.

Yes, on the whole they don't seem too bad, it's the aesthetics that are more problematic.  I have 2 Spire of Dawn boxes that I was saving to use with the reimagined High Elves (long term planning), but they really don't sit well next to the new sculpts for me; I'd rather now go for all new models.  They will probably be repurposed for CoS: Dreadspears, General on Gryphon and Greatswords I expect. They will fit better there.

• Thanks 2

The prices had me cut back a bit.  I already had the boxed set.  Today I pre-ordered Teclis, Scinari Cathallar, Wardens x1, Sentinels x2, Endless Spells and Dice. I wanted another two boxes of Wardens, but they are just too expensive for me with everything else I got.  I am going Ymetrica and Alarith so the second half of the release where most of my army actually is.  I plan on getting Avalenor, a Spirit of the Mountain, Stone Mage and at least Stone Guard x4 plus a group of Dawn Riders.  I want a total of 30 Stone Guard, but I suspect they are going to be $50 US which is a little more than I care to pay for all at once.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Question, and sorry for the double post! Has anyone able to play with the wardens already have any experiences they like to share with the pikes? How much of a problem are they on the table when breaks / cumbersome pile-ins are concerned?

Thanks.

Wondering the same thing. Do you have to face them backwards lol

1 hour ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Question, and sorry for the double post! Has anyone able to play with the wardens already have any experiences they like to share with the pikes? How much of a problem are they on the table when breaks / cumbersome pile-ins are concerned?

Thanks.

I played warcry with them and it wasn’t too bad? Didn’t really have a chance to go to base to base and they were largely singular models, but still not too bad.

Pre-ordered Teclis! Hoping to use this list, any thoughts/advice? Game plan is to put out a bunch of mortal wounds and disrupt the enemy movement phase using the endless spells + voice of the mountains & crippling vertigo/cathallar signature spell.  The dawn riders are there for playing the objectives.

Great Nation of Zaitrec

Archmage Teclis 

The Light of Eltharion

Scinarii Cathallar - Fast Learner & Gift of Celennar | Total Eclipse, Ethereal Blessing

10 wardens - Lambent Light

10 wardens - Lambent Light

10 sentinels -  Speed of Hysh

10 sentinels - Speed of Hysh

5 dawnriders - Speed of Hysh

5 dawnriders - Speed of Hysh

Umbral Spellportal

Rune of Petrification

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh 

Edited by Vik Vijay
  • Like 1

Just yesterday I thought about that GW could have designed the Wardens in a marching Formation with the Pikes way more up in the air, dynamism in the cloth when walking, etc.
When I played warcry it wasn't also much of an issue either. However I am still a bit afraid of a first proper AoS Game and some not so gentle pile ins. :/

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser

51 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I have a question. Our Dawnriders are great at plowing through hordes. But what if the opponent doesn’t have hordes, what do we use them for?

Objective play, I tend to make my Dawnrider units Battleline as well for the bonus points. 

They are also ok against 2 wound models, just don't expect the world from them. I don't think they benefit much from going up to 10s either. 

They will often be operating without character support so you may not be able to rely on deplete reserves either. 

I've only played as Ziatrec does anyone have any Syar experience? I find the lack of ability to find cp difficult to plan with.

• Like 2

Just to add - they are also a Wizard, depending on what you play you can try to cast Lambent Light, or Solar Flare and Endless Spells with them without putting your own troops into peril.

And it’s generally good to have a fast unit like that, so that your opponent can’t just leave objects unguarded, even if you in the end don’t really use them for that. 

Being able to activate twice in a row can also be helpful, although they might don’t do much on their own, they might just add a few more wounds to finish off a unit that you already attacked with something else. 

7 hours ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Thanks.

I'm honestly thinking I just chop this entire section out between the lines to be fair. I already have a couple bending at the bottom line, so it's a bit of a weak point. 

@LuminethMage, yeah I'm thinking the same with the amount of bodies, but to get to 2k quickly it's the cheapest route, I can replace Teclis further down the line with Cow and cow troops if I wanted variety, or even just more varnari. 

15993846758383017730575849905056.jpg