Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

19 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

It may be just me, but Aetherquartz is meant to take away emotions, which ought to make bravery better not worse.  I understand there needs to be a cost to using it, but reducing bravery seems counter-narrative.

Correct, but when they use their Aetherquartz ability they break the aetherquartz so the emotions return to them, giving them a burst of power but making them less emotionally stable.

At least thats my interpretation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

Correct, but when they use their Aetherquartz ability they break the aetherquartz so the emotions return to them, giving them a burst of power but making them less emotionally stable.

I interpret it in the same manner. Aetherquartz properties improve their physical and arcane abilities, but the emotions come back as well.

However, if I recall correctly, did they not mention a while back that the Scinari Cathaller lady is there for taking the despair of Lumineth and inflicting those emotions back upon the enemy? I remember reading that as making the enemy take your bravery tests as well as theirs. If it is like that, the diminished bravery may be a blessing in disguise.

Edit: found it! They said it verbally during the third preview when they showed her mini. This is the accompanying text:

image.png

Edited by Khaedhras
Added info about Cathaller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

Well, perhaps there will be an explanation in the Battletome.  In the Lumineth Lowdown part one, it says that they draw the energy from the Aetherquartz which becomes blackened and drains the emotions from the bearer "to restore its inner light".   There is no mention of breaking the Aetherquartz.

32 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Well, perhaps there will be an explanation in the Battletome.  In the Lumineth Lowdown part one, it says that they draw the energy from the Aetherquartz which becomes blackened and drains the emotions from the bearer "to restore its inner light".   There is no mention of breaking the Aetherquartz.

It actually says in the Aetherquartz Reserve flavor text  from yesterday's article that "In extremis, the Realm-lord can break the vessel's seal, allowing them to temporarily increase their physical and arcane prowess, albeit at a heavy emotional cost".

Edited by chosen_of_khaine

So just a thought...Any wizard can attempt to cast an endless spell right? doesn't that mean all our battleline units can attempt to cast an endless spell?

I'm just envisioning either the rune (for that -1 to hit stacking with shining company) or casting the Rune of petrification  on a unit you're locked in combat with

36 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

It actually says in the Aetherquartz Reserve flavor text  from yesterday's article that "In extremis, the Realm-lord can break the vessel's seal, allowing them to temporarily increase their physical and arcane prowess, albeit at a heavy emotional cost".

But the Aetherquartz is inside the vessel, not the vessel itself.  They break the vessel to get to the Aetherquartz - "a tiny reserve of Aetherquartz that they keep in a gem-like container"

51 minutes ago, Arentius said:

So just a thought...Any wizard can attempt to cast an endless spell right? doesn't that mean all our battleline units can attempt to cast an endless spell?

I'm just envisioning either the rune (for that -1 to hit stacking with shining company) or casting the Rune of petrification  on a unit you're locked in combat with

Not necessarily. Stormcast evocaters can only cast empower or the select spells from the stormcast book but not endless spells. As cool as an image of a group of spearmen forming a circle and reciting the rituals of petrification is, it may be a bit above their skill level.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

But the Aetherquartz is inside the vessel, not the vessel itself.  They break the vessel to get to the Aetherquartz - "a tiny reserve of Aetherquartz that they keep in a gem-like container"

maybe that's why there is a hit to bravery. "Oh man, that was a good box. I paid a lot of money for it!"

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Yuviel Lightbringer said:

Not necessarily. Stormcast evocaters can only cast empower or the select spells from the stormcast book but not endless spells. As cool as an image of a group of spearmen forming a circle and reciting the rituals of petrification is, it may be a bit above their skill level.

Fair and more balanced but slightly disappointing 

was rereading the text on the endless spell with the 2 crystals, as I read it, it seems to suggest that it's only reset to 1 after the spell effect is resolved, does that then mean that if cast is failed or unbound, the crystal keeps its charge and can be used again on same magnitude? this is how I read it, but intuitively I would have thought it to reset to 1 after you activated it to give + to cast. thoughts? (sry if this answer is buried in the 100 pages somewhere... but this endless spell all of a sudden seemed a lot more potent with all pikemen running around and charging it...)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, elfhead said:

If it isn’t retconned, eatherquartz is a gas. So then a crystallic container makes sense. They break it and inhale. 

Aetherquartz is just Hyshian realmstone that has unique properties IIRC, never heard it mentioned as being a gas (especially since quartz is a real-life rock crystal)

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

Hmm...that is an odd distinction, and if it is the case that breaking the vessel gives them access to fresh Aetherquartz (rather than simply breaking one that already drained their emotions), it shouldn't carry with it a "heavy emotional cost".  Unless they mean "cost" as in the Lumineth lose more emotion, but in that case I'm not sure how that correlates with -1 bravery.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In regards to the Alarith ability to push enemies back, there was some discussion before, about it being abused by the enemy, and while I can certainly see that happening in some situations the rule is written so they have to end at least 1inch away from your models if possible, so they would need to move directly away from the unit they are engaged with in most cases right? This does mean that so long as you have positioned yourself well, they won’t be able to abuse it. I guess time will tell..

on the topic of endless spells... do you guys think even 10 spear men would fit inside the protective ring? It really doesn’t seem like they could, it looks like it’s only big enough for a single model really, but holy cow, could you imagine if you could fit a block of spear men in it, with shining company? -2 to be hit, and +1 save, plus you would effectively prevent them from being able to get many if any attacks on you at all due to them having to attack over the base of the spell, meanwhile you’re 3inch reach means you get to just poke them full of holes... that would let you create an absolute no go zone for the enemy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sleepers said:

do you guys think even 10 spear men would fit inside the protective ring? It really doesn’t seem like they could, it looks like it’s only big enough for a single model really,

I'm pretty sure the protective endless spell is actually 3 seperate models placed around the unit, which would allow it to accommodate pretty much any size.

Some comments on a few of the topics that have come up:

Aetherquartz - as far as I know it has never been described as gaseous. In Malign Sorcery it says, that Aetherquartz in its natural state is a beam of light, and no one could use the Hyshan Realmstone because of that, until Teclis taught the Aelves how to catch the light and transform it into "prisms". They also say something along those lines in the Soulbound RPG. 

But if you look at the art - it looks like Aetherquartz also occurs naturally as a quartz. And it also says in the WD article that Avalenor has Aetherquarz deposits on him. That might mean they either have changed it somewhat, or that this is just for artistic purposes. I'm sure we'll find out more about the process in the Battletome. I agree with the people who find the mechanic somewhat weird in terms of the lore behind it if nothing changes, because as it's stated, the Aetherquartz  enhances their abilities, but drains emotion which if at all should have a positive effect on morale. And if it just was the container, yeah then the emotions would return - but there wouldn't be any logical reason that they receive an ability boost out of this. But maybe there is an explanation in the Battletome (and if not, it's also not really that big of a deal, just a minor issue because all the abilities are pretty much right on spot lore-wise.)

Scinari Cathallar - Judging from the WD article the thing she does is to take away that -1 (or -2 if that's also a thing) from the Lumineth unit and throws it on an enemy unit. It's not 100% clear, but the wording of the ability in the article suggests that that's how it'll work. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

I'm pretty sure the protective endless spell is actually 3 seperate models placed around the unit, which would allow it to accommodate pretty much any size.

that would be awesome if it does work that way, but I feel like it might have a rule where each tip has to touch another tip, just like the wildwood for sylvaneth

I assume that Aetherquartz attracts emotions, and that the Lumineth have it incased within a protective crystal that houses said emotion that is drawn to the Quartz. So when they break the casing, it unleashes all their emotions back into them but gives them a burst of greater power. That’s how I’d take it.

Could be, still a bit different to how it was described, but could be something like that in the end. For me personally it's not a big deal, but it would  be great if it would make sense in the end. Let's see. 

I also wonder a bit if the article about "everyone is a wizard" was a bit misleading. In the Lumineth Lowdown article in what seems  a 100 years ago they mentioned that the High Warden and High Sentinel channel the magic, that's also how it is described in the WD article. The High Sentinel fails the spell test etc. I hope though that it's really everyone.  Might also have changed over time. 

• Confused 1