Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Good call. If they draw inspiration from the High Elves in this respect - that'd be definitely in the cards. Shutting down the magic phase was a big part of High Magic for a long time. I can already see how popular the Lumineth would be among opponents if they get something like a combination of the Banner of the World Dragon and the Book of Hoeth as a spell. Oh boy... .

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Good call. If they draw inspiration from the High Elves in this respect - that'd be definitely in the cards. Shutting down the magic phase was a big part of High Magic for a long time. I can already see how popular the Lumineth would be among opponents if they get something like a combination of the Banner of the World Dragon and the Book of Hoeth as a spell. Oh boy... .

That would be horrible, I dont wanna them to have rules that make them negative experience. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

That would be horrible, I dont wanna them to have rules that make them negative experience. 

Yup, that's what I meant, maybe wasn't clear, but I was joking with the combination fo World Dragon and Hoeth.

Looks like with the Lightning Reaction they tried to do that in terms of ASF, although of course we do not really know until we can actual play. So I hope if the Lumineth can do some anti-magic shenanigans it's not something which makes it unfun for everyone else (although there  is always a trade-off, and a grey area). Always best if both sides can enjoy the game. 

Anti-magic shenanigans are usually terrible game design as they push the game into all-magic or no magic at all. More and more lists are just dropping single mages as in this meta :

- they can't really unbind anything 

- they can't cast anything

Going with such game design even further isn't much fun, meta with single spellcasters as little support pieces is much more fun then meta with only few armies taking mages. Sure Teclis should all good etc but he is supposed to be 700 pts + model so he should be able to dominate certain phases of the game, but in nutshell pushing the game further and fuerther into crazy bonuses to magic/no magic is bad. 

Lighting Reaction is obviously well written rule - as it isn't nowhere near as good as ASF/ASL so won't create much negative experience as opponent will anyway activate his unit first in his turn and it won't help vs stuff like Deepkin High Tide or GG General. 

Edited by DantePQ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Anti-magic shenanigans are usually terrible game design as they push the game into all-magic or no magic at all. More and more lists are just dropping single mages as in this meta :

- they can't really unbind anything 

- they can't cast anything

Going with such game design even further isn't much fun, meta with single spellcasters as little support pieces is much more fun then meta with only few armies taking mages. Sure Teclis should all good etc but he is supposed to be 700 pts + model so he should be able to dominate certain phases of the game, but in nutshell pushing the game further and fuerther into crazy bonuses to magic/no magic is bad. 

Lighting Reaction is obviously well written rule - as it isn't nowhere near as good as ASF/ASL so won't create much negative experience as opponent will anyway activate his unit first in his turn and it won't help vs stuff like Deepkin High Tide or GG General. 

I strongly disagree on the anti magic thing. Sure it's bad design to just nope people out of a phase. But we could use things, that create INTERACTION with the opponent's ability to cast magic. Be it single mages or hordes of them, positioning and decission making should make the difference in any phase, randomized by dice. Especially against armies with the insane modifiers on cast rolls we could use things, that decrease their chances, reduce their range to make them take risks or some such.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chikout said:

The complaints about Teclis are interesting. The hammer pants thing, I can see, and the coif around his neck is something also worn by nuns. The constipated thing is something I just don't get though. He looks arrogant.Screenshot_20200408-080816.png.768691de5e269231c8a5967bb1abe1c3.png

As for the pose part of the problem is the 3d nature of a physical model. He is actually quite a way in front of Celenar with his cloak and topknot streaming out behind him.Screenshot_20200408-080456.png.5eb06fa5e4b9347bc8cb7809c4ef15cf.png

He is also leaning forward slightly, with his chest thrust out. None of this comes across in the font on photo. The physical model with Teclis in the foreground and Celenar behind, should have a better balance than the photo suggests. 

I will definitely try to see the model in person before I decide whether to order him or not. 

Still looking forward to seeing Tyrion. I was just checking the lowdown article and he is namechecked seven times across four of the articles. He is explicitly said to be a Lumineth god. 

If I was planning a reveal of the Lumineth featuring two gods I would absolutely reveal one at the beginning and the other last, so here's hoping!

I agree- first time I saw Teclis’ model it was a case of “not sure about you, but I like your cat” (like most people I know really)

But having seen a few different angles in those videos his face and pose look much better- I think the reveal image wasn’t the best angle in hindsight and makes the whole model look more flat that it really is. 

@Lucur strongly disagree, but example if some builds a list that is based around magic - he should be able to use it. If you can shut down magic phase of army that's based on casting then you will nope out any other army that uses magic as support. 

Making your opponent army not working at all is negative experience. I play Deepkin if there was an army that can shut down my movement it would be negative exp to play vs such armies. That's why Locus, pre-nerf GG etc got so much heat. 

Sure if the Teclis is centerpiece model that can dominate the phase(for example by having autounbind every hero phase)  that's fine as he should be that kind of Morathi-esque model that can dominate the board, but widespread anti-magic mechanics are quite bad. Mages are usually suspect to shooting and MWs so there are ways to get rid of them without making it an negative experience. 

I'm totally with you that magic heavy armies should be playable, i don't want auto unbinds or can't cast stuff (unless it's got limited range and needs smart moves). All i'm saying is we could easily have more interesting mechanics influencing spellcadting than just get +X to cast or auto unbind and the likes.

• LOVE IT! 1

On 4/7/2020 at 12:45 PM, Sleepers said:

I personally like the Teclis model, though I get what you’re saying.

The only thing that really bothers me about the Teclis model is that his scabbard is on the same side as his sword hand.. that’s more impractical than any cow helmet. I’m sorry to everyone who did not notice this before I pointed it out.

Wearing swords on the right can work and was done, for instance by Roman Legionaires. Mostly for shorter swords though, and it's useful if you have a really big shield (so you don't need to move that as much).

I just tested it (184 cm human), and can draw a blade length of 99 cm, but a blade length around 80 cm is much more convenient. That still is quite a bit, my rapier (long one) has a blade length of 95 cm, and my longsword has 89. My hand and a half sword is a bit shorter at 85, and my one handed sword  has 81 (note that this is a high medieval example, earlier swords tend to be shorter). The sword Teclis holds seems to be possible to draw with his right hand.

Edited by zilberfrid
Different name for the sword size between longsword and one handed
  • LOVE IT! 1

Are we discussing Teclis again? I don't often buy a centerpiece, I really love working on basic troops. The artworks of Teclis are so amazing, I can't help but feel disappointed by the model. If the pose would have been similar to the artwork he would have been amazing. Oh well. Guess I'll just spend my money on the models I do really love.

Color schem wise I'm thinking about lots of cool grey tones and subtle blues with NMM armor, maybe introduce a bit of color in the metal like GW did with the Cypher lords. So a subtle glaze of purple or green on some parts of the metal. But nothing to much because I'm afraid they'll look like cheap toys.

The studio photography with this army has reached new heights. 

Cool catch on the different hammerheads. 

• Like 2