Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Heartbeats before combat is joined, the sunmetal tips of the Wardens’ spears flare into life with the solar energies they have absorbed, tearing through armour, flesh and bone as their Wardens skewer their would-be attackers with thrusts of lethal precision. They are led by High Wardens, imperious Lumineth officers who stand at the rear of each phalanx. Easily identified by their decorative back-banners, the High Wardens direct the warriors under their command and channel the magic of Hysh into their enchanted weapons to the utter ruin of their enemies.

So, combat phase buff like Sequitors + possibly decentralized CP like OBR? Where the unit leader can further buff a unit with their own command.

Their armour is bedecked with sun and moon icons, symbolising the twin gods of Hysh, for their warriors are neither Tyrionic nor Teclian exclusively.

I'm sure there will be differing mages to reflect the Lumineth aspects, but I'm wondering if this sentence means the special/elite units are going to be Tyrionic or Teclian specifically, or if each brother also handles different aspects (i.e earth/fire for Tyrion and water/air for Teclis)

Each of the Auralan Wardens carries a short sword strapped to their backs. Though not designed to be their primary weapons, these blades would be drawn for self-defence should an enemy get inside their reach

Spear attacks on turn they're charged/they charge, then sword otherwise? Or perhaps a secondary unit rule?

Integral to this is the Runic Mandala, the Lumineth evolution of the Pantheonic Mandala which once depicted the aelven gods from the world-that-was. In addition to representing an amalgam of the runes of the four Hyshian geomantic spirits, the more elaborate versions incorporate the twin aspects of sun and moon, both separate yet intrinsically linked, just as with the godly twins that embody them.

So any rumors that don't look like Eldar runes or Old World Elf runes are Lumineth, and we can expect the book to have  a new alphabet for transcribing this new language!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Spear attacks on turn they're charged/they charge, then sword otherwise? Or perhaps a secondary unit rule?

Or just simply two weapon profiles and you can attack with both. Like all units with multiple weapons (if they can be wielded at the same time).

9 hours ago, Kaime said:

2 hands gives a lot more control over the spear, one hand is just for parades :P

Still Feels weird in my oppinion. Almost too limiting, with the shield getting in the way of a thrust and vise versa. I can't imaging the body mechanics of it unless they do a sort of "Pool Cue" thrust with one hand while the other guides it in. If they thrust with both hands then they are losing out on defense as they move their shields, angling them lower so they are covering their lower body and leaving their upper exposed. I could be overthinking it, but it seems odd having this when they already have a hole for the spears.

The article seemed brief, and I feel like I need a bigger fix. But, there is some great insight. (even if they didn't give the rules grumble grumble)

I like the description of having magical sunlight spears being the main form of offense, and all the other kinds of magics being given to the sergeants in the squad. Also nice to see some tactical depth where the sergeants supposedly are not front line fighters but give buffs to the squad, so they are either going to be like some sacrosanct guys or wizards in of themselves. 

Also holly ****** those spears are long! I love it!

25 minutes ago, michu said:

Or just simply two weapon profiles and you can attack with both. Like all units with multiple weapons (if they can be wielded at the same time).

I wonder if spears will be something like 1 attack with 2” range and rend on turn someone charges while swords are 2 attacks at 1” reach no rend. Something like that could be pretty neat. 

Yeah it would be cool for them to get some swish big spike dmg with the spears then go to normal attacks with the swords. 

Also, that new pic of the troops fighting Skaven has a leader without a helmet and his face looks pretty neat. He’s also wielding an odd looking weapon, other than the sword the first reveal image showed him with. 

Edited by Tiberius501

21 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Yeah it would be cool for them to get some swish big spike dmg with the spears then go to normal attacks with the swords. 

Also, that new pic of the troops fighting Skaven has a leader without a helmet and his face looks pretty neat. He’s also wielding an odd looking weapon, other than the sword the first reveal image showed him with. 

He has a moon-tipped rod in his left hand, and some sort of lantern in his right hand.  I wonder if the commanders of each squad will be mini-wizards.  This does make it seem like each unit can be buffed in several ways by its magical commander.

I do like the additional info, don't want to sound ungrateful, I am still on edge about more info. I thought we would see a couple of new models not just hear about how detailed the shield backs are. I hope this isnt all that we get released is every two weeks two paragraphs of info talking about other units and pictures of the same units we have already seen. 

Cool though that we might have four elemental disciplines, and the spears sound almost kind of light the eldar shock lances. would be cool if we got some rend, and two inch range on them, have a row fighting with sword and board for more defense and a row fighting with spears.

still hyped but a bit disappointed this is the level of drip in our drip feed, maybe we will see some models Wed, as they often release a news letter on Wed also.

Also with the talk about the auralan wardens/sentinels, I think that they will be a dual kit that you can make either archers or spearmen since they share name wise

Edited: for additional thoughts without successively doing three posts.

Edited by Mr2spyderguy

9 minutes ago, Nightseer2012 said:

He has a moon-tipped rod in his left hand, and some sort of lantern in his right hand.  I wonder if the commanders of each squad will be mini-wizards.  This does make it seem like each unit can be buffed in several ways by its magical commander.

that lantern is the same lantern that the original squad leader had, its just painted differently. looks like to me they swapped the head and the sword for the weird staff and bare head.

That said commander weapon options, choice of a mage squad commander vs a warrior squad commander with differing command abilities would be neat. even if you had the option of a sword vs some magical weapon might be cool too.

"Meanwhile, the upper halves feature a mix of male and female torsos, each clad in layers of scale and plate armour with elegant, curved pauldrons. Their armour is bedecked with sun and moon icons, symbolising the twin gods of Hysh, for their warriors are neither Tyrionic nor Teclian exclusively."

Show us Tyrion! 

If they come out with a new type of swordmaster, mage and Tyrion then I might be in on this. I like the spearmen and knights, and would love an archer option the the spearmen model. I am not sold on Teclis though but would love to see the rest of the range

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

"Meanwhile, the upper halves feature a mix of male and female torsos, each clad in layers of scale and plate armour with elegant, curved pauldrons. Their armour is bedecked with sun and moon icons, symbolising the twin gods of Hysh, for their warriors are neither Tyrionic nor Teclian exclusively."

Show us Tyrion! 

If they come out with a new type of swordmaster, mage and Tyrion then I might be in on this. I like the spearmen and knights, and would love an archer option the the spearmen model. I am not sold on Teclis though but would love to see the rest of the range

speaking of the upper halves, my one complaint is the head dresses.... I always think James workshop really sucks at making helmets.... they always put dumb toppers on them,  I like the birds eye view we got, i think those plumes are pretty wide at the base so I will probably use the Custodes "Plume" and I should have enough base for it to seat on and actually sit instead of the silly plumes they currently have.

• Like 1

Similar to the nighthaunt glaivewraith stalkers , the only minor  complaint I have with the spearman is the horizontal spear forward design is going to make it a pain to move charging models within 1/2” of the spear men, or vice versa. 

Other than that, I’m loving the aesthetics 

13 minutes ago, Ian Wallsh said:

Ok, I am a beginner, but, while all this fascination with "Base Size", can someone please explain to me why this matters so...........? 🤔 

Base size is sometimes referred to as the "hidden stat" in AoS. The size of the base a model is on affects how many models in a unit can enter combat, how easy it is to surround a model, and how much area a unit can deny on the table.

For instance, the Idoneth Deepkin infantry (Namarti Thralls) are on 32mm bases and have attacks with 1" reach. Since 32mm > 1", that means any models behind the first rank of a unit in combat cannot attack.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

I’m actually pretty sure they’re on 32mm bases. The camera lens seems to have a bit of a janky thing going on to the left, but if you compare the base of the high warden in the middle and the Skaven almost opposite him, his base seems to be bigger. 

I'd agree. If you look how the skaven fill the space of their base vs how the elves fill it I think that also shows the difference in base size. Elsewise those are some *tiny* elves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thebazilly said:

Base size is sometimes referred to as the "hidden stat" in AoS. The size of the base a model is on affects how many models in a unit can enter combat, how easy it is to surround a model, and how much area a unit can deny on the table.

For instance, the Idoneth Deepkin infantry (Namarti Thralls) are on 32mm bases and have attacks with 1" reach. Since 32mm > 1", that means any models behind the first rank of a unit in combat cannot attack.

I’d also like to add the lesser reason which is that it can be an indication of model size which can be nice to get a feel for.

• Like 1

Some interesting things in the article.

I really like the sunmetal idea, and what they did with the High Warden. Having a kind of warrior-mage/scholar commanding them is really fitting with HE and Hysh lore, and depending on how this is implemented mechanically could be really fun to play with (do they have 4 bonuses? Only one per faction or per unit? Chosen per turn or per game etc.).

And it looks like we have the first art of a zenith Warden. I thought previously Zenith is associated with light, but it seems to be fire in the end. He even has red, fiery eyes. The metal color also changes with their spirit association it seems. So the whole mountain, wind, river and zenith stuff is just a fancy way of saying earth, air, water and fire, which again is very fitting for (a)elves. The zenith warrior also seems to have a dragon symbol on his armour, and dragons would fit with a fiery theme, so everyone who hopes for dragons might get something in the end. : ). I really also like that color scheme. 

And we learned that the Warden's art from the first lowdown two weeks ago showed him with a mountain/river rune on his armour. I wonder if such combinations lead to even more options for spells/traits. That would a be a lot though in case any of the combinations are ok. So probably not. 

But, by the Twin Gods, if they keep this pace of revelations with a focus on one unit every two weeks, we are in for a bit longer run than I expected. They seem to expect from us the kind of emotional detachments a Lumineth has after quite a lot of aetherquartz. 

Edit: If I'm not hallucinating, they took out the every two weeks reference in the original article. Which means we might get something new faster (or slower ....). 

River.jpg

Zenith.jpg

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

I’m hoping the spears are one use, but I want more then just a rend bonus.

it would be cool if we get a universal strikes first as our allegiance, and the sun spears could be massively powerful one use only weapons. 

Id be cool with 3up 2up 2 rend 2 damage (idk how many attacks, prolly one per spear) then the swords could be 3 up 3 up or 4 up rend 1 weapons (I’m unsure how elite we will be, if gw has learned from saurus warriors then I expect to be comparable to elite infantry if on 32s)

maybe we get a sun spell that recharges the spears

I would say the swords will have no rend from the description of them being a backup weapon, and probably 3+/4+. It’d be cool if the spears resembled something similar to usual cavalry lances if they’re one use, but as they’re troops probably only get 1 attack as you say. 

Edited by Tiberius501

3 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

I would say the swords will have no rend from the description of them being a backup weapon, and probably 3+/4+. It’d be cool if the spears resembled something similar to usual cavalry lances if they’re one use, but as they’re troops probably only get 1 attack as you say. 

I think swords will have 2 attacks and rend. If not then Aether quartz sucks for perfecting our soldiers.

lore wise they sound scarier then deepkin infantry, so table top should put them up there as well. I was thinking 1 attack with the spear because it’s super strong, then 2 attack swords with weaker stats.

the one use only weapon could also do something bonkers, maybe it’s similar to this snake people crystal things. 3 up to hit causes a mortal wound. Anything charged with the power of the sun should hit much harder then an ogor or Orruk choppa.

im expecting similar stats to elite infantry, but 1 wound each. So 2 attacks at 3 up 3up or similar is pretty near mandatory. If we are on 25s then disregard.

id like to think the reason the swords are a back weapon is because the spears kill 90 percent of the enemy who charges them lmao.