Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

22 minutes ago, Yuviel Lightbringer said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/16/lumineth-realm-lords-how-do-they-play/

Holy Cow those rules look good.

Based on what I have read so far we look to be the grey knights of AOS, with every unit a wizard (spear, bow and cav) + a mix of the Ossiarch's every unit leader can use a command ability (atherquartz rules).

The Aetherquarz rule is very similar to the Kharadrons Aethergold ability. But it looks like the Lumineth get unique abilities instead of using a list like the KO do. 

Wow ask and I shall receive I guess. That's a lot of information to get in such a short amount of time! Oh boy this is some delicious stuff to chew on...

So there is a big incentive to form shield walls for the Vanari, but has a downside of being slow to pile in (with a 3" range though that is less of an issue it seems) and it seems that most of our units do mortal wounds on 6's, so that is awesome. The spell is just as amazing too, and it seems that the Crystals endless spells will be filled quickly. I wonder if they can do arcane bolt or lore spells too...

and that teutonic ability. Holy Battle Cattle that is amazing. 

Man, I am even more excited to see how these guys play!

annnnnd my 1,000th post is on this. Awesome!

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Loving the rules. I especially like the idea of placing my pikemen as a proper phalanx, and those sunmetal weapons are looking really good. It is sad (From the answer of Wh community posted above and the fact that the two sub-factions that they have previewed are both Teclian) that it seems that this release is going to be exclusively Teclis-based. However, this phrase at the end of the article gives me hopes:

We’ve just scratched the surface of what a Lumineth Realm-lords army can do – just wait until you factor in a vast suite of artefacts, unusual and powerful warscrolls, allied choices and more!

I think that it is very plausible that we will be able to ally with, at least, all of the old High Elves miniatures (Phoenix Temple, Sisters of the Watch and Shadow warriors, if i recall correctly?) and possibly with other aelven factions to give more versatility to the army.  I would love to have a batallion of "Sons of Teclis" with shining phalanxes holding the line and Caledor princes turned into Eels' riders acting as the hammer. Let's see.

Hmm, everyone is a wizard. thats gonna be fun :)

So I am in, 2nd army here we come. 

I am going to base it on my old High Elf Chrace army

So: My old giant lion (was a dragon) and then an alt Teclis Model 

Spearmen with have white lion shoulders and changing the helm plum sideways to be more spartan like. Archers will have shoulders also, with maybe some DOK heads mixed with both units (as hopefully they can allie with DOK like IDK can)

Giant Cow will have lion heads

Caverly will be the same aelf but with my lions from the chariots (I have like 20 from my converted dragon princes)

Getting hyped now, been switching between KO/FEC and LRL for what I want my new army to be, but since getting the converted army in my head I am sold with LRL

• Like 2

Seems like the Alarith ability Enduring as Rock should be used every turn since they don't mention any downside to using it

Unless that's their aetherquartz reserve ability so -1 bravery

Edited by Adeeb

Man... wide chances of -1 to hit, elites that ignore -1 rend, and every unit is a wizard?  Man, Tzeentch Eternal Conflagration builds should just stay home for that match up.  These guys are looking very strong, but they are looking possibly very "brittle" with their builds, with their lack of unit diversity.  I mean, at this point there are more variations of the Primaris Lieutenants than there are separate Lumineth units.  I have to wait to make a final call for what battalions or ally modifications come out with the battletome.  I am hoping they have a CoS similar ability to bring along a limited amount of other Aelf units.

Very very strong, very very cool, just not quite what I was hoping for.

44 minutes ago, Thaliontil said:

I think that it is very plausible that we will be able to ally with, at least, all of the old High Elves miniatures (Phoenix Temple, Sisters of the Watch and Shadow warriors, if i recall correctly?) and possibly with other aelven factions to give more versatility to the army.  I would love to have a batallion of "Sons of Teclis" with shining phalanxes holding the line and Caledor princes turned into Eels' riders acting as the hammer.

I hope there's something like that too. Otherwise, Shadow Warriors seem good inclusion but I'm seeing problems with other CoS elven units.

• Like 2

The rules are very impressive, looking forward to seeing more over the next week or two!

After reading the article I am less convinced there will be a Tyrion model released with the Lumineth, they mentioned about all the models been wizards as they are students of Teclis, unless they follow two paths or something like that, but I would suggest that Tyrion may have his own faction that follow the warriors path?

• Like 2

I am really liking how these champions seem to play. I mocked up a quick list for lolz. (Based on the leaked point values a while back).

Leaders
- Eltharion 220pts
- Stonemage 140pts

Behemoth
- Battlecattle 300(maybe)

Battleline
- 20x Spears 240pts
- 20x Spears 240pts
- 10x Archers 140pts
- 10x Archers 140pts
- 5x Cavalry 130pts
- 5x Cavalry 130pts

Other
- 10x Hammers 200pts

Total: 1880 roughly

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tommay89 said:

The rules are very impressive, looking forward to seeing more over the next week or two!

After reading the article I am less convinced there will be a Tyrion model released with the Lumineth, they mentioned about all the models been wizards as they are students of Teclis, unless they follow two paths or something like that, but I would suggest that Tyrion may have his own faction that follow the warriors path?

More than another faction, I think that Tyrion will probably come as an "expansion" for the Lumineth, like the chambers of the Stormcast.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I am really liking how these champions seem to play. I mocked up a quick list for lolz. (Based on the leaked point values a while back).

Leaders
- Eltharion 220pts
- Stonemage 140pts

Behemoth
- Battlecattle 300(maybe)

Battleline
- 20x Spears 240pts
- 20x Spears 240pts
- 10x Archers 140pts
- 10x Archers 140pts
- 5x Cavalry 130pts
- 5x Cavalry 130pts

Other
- 10x Hammers 200pts

Total: 1880 roughly

I'd prefer something like this also rather than Teclis as he is a huge point since but 18inch fnp bubble is pretty great. Looking forward to nerding out with the book 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

I'd prefer something like this also rather than Teclis as he is a huge point since but 18inch fnp bubble is pretty great. Looking forward to nerding out with the book 

Depending on their range and number of attacks, archers seem pretty interesting too. Supposing 2 attacks each, and getting off their self-buff spell, a unit of ten deals 6.66 MW before resolving the rest of the attacks and without any need for support pieces

So thinking about my stat preduction:

Aelves will be 3+ to hit for combat and shooting 

Spears/arrows 4+ to wound with 3+ for hammers (with MW bonus)

Recon the spearmen , 4+ AS with -1 to hit when using the ability

Hammers will be 5+ but immune to rend 1 ability

For the cav I think they will have a 4+ with a 6" pile in mechanic (and maybe bonus to wound/MW on the charge)

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys anyone understood how shining company rules work? Thx a lot:)

going of how I understand the rule, as long as all the models are in base contact of at least 2 other models in the unit, then all units that try to strike them get -1 to hit. in exchange however that unit in base to base formation cannot run or charge and may only pile in 1".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tizianolol said:

Ok ty, so basically when you finish your movement, if you wanna charge, just put your models separate so you can do it. If yku are grabbing an objective just stay in formation right?

yes. the whole army seems built around the idea of absorbing and blunting charges in a wall of Wardens whilst flanking with Alartih stoneguard and dawnriders.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yuviel Lightbringer said:

yes. the whole army seems built around the idea of absorbing and blunting charges in a wall of Wardens whilst flanking with Alartih stoneguard and dawnriders.

The only strange thing I can see is that it only begins after setting up and you cannot reform it at any time? it doesn't say that you can reform the shining company again after you break it up, so it seems you have to be extra careful of your positioning. it also creates the problem real life phalanxes had, where you cannot travel over terrain or around buildings without breaking the formation. 

It seems like a lot of hoops to jump throough for a -1 to hit!

Shining company rules.jpg

3 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

The only strange thing I can see is that it only begins after setting up and you cannot reform it at any time? it doesn't say that you can reform the shining company again after you break it up, so it seems you have to be extra careful of your positioning. it also creates the problem real life phalanxes had, where you cannot travel over terrain or around buildings without breaking the formation. 

yes, your right, once the formation is broken it cannot be reformed, so all anvil and no hammer.

3 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Agreed it is a little ambiguous, but it seems like RAW you cannot reform the shining company which honestly makes no sense logically.