Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

I actually don't think the Scinari Cathaller is a named character.  It seems like it might be more of her racial title, in the same manner all the new elves get them. We have Khinerai, Melusai, Namarti, Kurnothi; and now the new Vanari and Scinari.

• Like 1

I was always more interested in the fluff for this faction than the models (always preferred the other flavours of elves).  Only thing that feels particualrly odd to me is the mountain avatar. 

The art work has been good to see.

I think we can expect another couple of releases taking it to 11 or 12 kits.  I think what is left is likely another couple of characters, with a pretty high likelihood that one of the kits shown so far of the spearmen, archers, cav or hammer guys is a dual kit (or two of them are).  If not they would be the first faction that didn't have a dual kit.  I expect one of the remaining kits to be a mounted character, as I don't think there has been a faction other than Kharadron which doesn't have a non-unique mounted character.

Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

• Like 1

IMG-20200309-WA0010.jpg.dc2feec03f1286d630a9f7d253f61689.jpg

This artwork bother me soooo much. 

Here, Teclis have a smug face that gives him a imposing look and his legs and arms make for a really dinamic pose.

The helmet doesnt have that cloth around the face and the moon looks thin and metalic.

He looks like he is landing on the battlefield to cause havok.

Aaaaand we get this wonky model.

IMG-20200401-WA0006.jpg.a3db8759572ea09b492c48f8b1d7b996.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Here, Teclis have a smug face that gives him a imposing look and his legs and arms make for a really dinamic pose.

The helmet doesnt have that cloth around the face and the moon looks thin and metalic.

I personally like the Teclis model, though I get what you’re saying.

The only thing that really bothers me about the Teclis model is that his scabbard is on the same side as his sword hand.. that’s more impractical than any cow helmet. I’m sorry to everyone who did not notice this before I pointed it out.

28 minutes ago, Sleepers said:

I personally like the Teclis model, though I get what you’re saying.

The only thing that really bothers me about the Teclis model is that his scabbard is on the same side as his sword hand.. that’s more impractical than any cow helmet. I’m sorry to everyone who did not notice this before I pointed it out.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

Oh well, I already disliked the model so it's just another point to add to my list of dissapointments.
The more I look to that model the more I dislike it.
The scabbard problem is due to the cape of teclis being the point from which it "floats" in the air, using part's of Celenar's wing to achieve this.
Why do they keep insisting in making such ridiculous and not well conceived poses?

Edited by Maturin

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

I'm sorry to say that but Teclis' face in the model looks like he's an anime dude who's been waiting for hours to go to the toilets.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:21 PM, Reuben Parker said:

But why start a flame war?

Sadly it seems more often than not you're free to be as condescending and snarky as you like on here so long as it's in defence of GW. It's why a lot of critical posts get a string of smart-arsed replies, but people recoil in shock and 'wow just wow' when the same is returned.

Anyway there's been a few edits of the Not!Hammerers floating around with the bull-ornamentation snipped off and they look pretty decent without them. Overall I'm quite fond of the initial Lumineth units shown. I'm not a lover of anything elven so I wouldn't pick them up regardless, but I do think GW are at their strongest whenever they try and make something more basic than 'hella epic and unique'.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 1

That goes both ways though. Some people are denigrating models and concepts just because they don’t fit with their personal tastes. And it often smacks of trying to lessen the fun of people who do like those. Especially if it’s done in the forum which is meant for the fans of that faction. 

I think what Thiagoma did in the “let’s fix the helmets” threat is great. Really constructive, and they also came up with some good looking alternatives. But still people somehow feel the need to over and over tell everyone here in this threat how ******, stupid and ridiculous most of the models are. And then wonder when sometimes people get mad about that. 

Why? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

I agree. And without sounding too 'snarky' and hopefully constructively critical, there are a number of issues with this model as pointed out, and a general feel that it all looks botched together. The head of the mount looks like a superimposed Buddha head, and Teclis looks like a puppet at best, at worst a constipated Jack in the Box. 

If GW werent well known for their sculpts  I reckon such criticism would be unjustified. But, you know, they've spoiled us for years. The Slaanesh new sculpts, for example, are elegant and monstrous. My first reaction on seeing a new Keeper of Secrets was 'wuh-ooh'. I just don't get that same reaction with any of these new Lumineth models and I'm more an aelf player than Slaanesh.

I want my models to inspire awe, not head scratching on how or what possessed the sculpters to go for this rather than what is suggested by the art work.

Again, we can only wonder how these were tested and who approved them, when GW really can do better and have set a high bar. I dont think this is anything more than a blip, but regardless of the next new faction allegiance, I await with interest the quality of the design, crossing my fingers that this isnt the direction of things to come.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Saying 'hopefully this is constructive', and then describing the model as a constipated jack-in-the-box makes you part of the problem.

Seriously, every few days, the same people post similar diatribes about miniatures that have been unveiled for weeks/months. 

If you don't enjoy the design choices, or aesthetics of the range, that is perfectly fine, but why people see the need to spread their bile and whining here and rehash the same points again, and again, and again is beyond me. I come to TGA for the positivity of it's community, but the last few weeks have been incredibly disappointing.  

You all can do better.

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Holly cow!

I take a nap and return on a battlefield!

Let me make a disclaimer that this is not intentional.  This weeks lowdown was about Artwork and i made a remark about that artwork compared with this model.

Teclis art was the first thing we saw in AoS and i was in awe about it! It is perfect IMO. I also think he looks a lot like the Idoneth Aspects, and it makes sense.

I really enjoy Celenar in its pose and all,  but Teclis artwork to me fels like "I am here now, lets get this done, shall we?", while the Sculpt lost this feel to me.

That said if you loved the sculp, by all means i am happy for you.

Edited by Thiagoma
  • Like 2

I really like the Lumineth Range so far minus the Hammerers which have grown on me a bit but solid stuff! The Teclis model however....oh god :/. I would have to be "hammered" myself to buy that model. The only reason it gets played is because the rules are incredible otherwise it goes into the ghosted pile. But I am loving what GW has done with AOS and model design personally but I can see why other people do not like it as tastes very (except Teclis he uggggllllyyy).  On the plus side of not liking the Big Bad Wizard for Lumineth I decided to not purchase the army and focus on getting better with my Deepkin and purchased some more eels and an Eidolon which will hopefully get better in the future battletome (whenever that may be).

I wonder how possible would be to place Teclis on the ground in front of Celenar. The would centralize the model and he would be more in focus.

Is one of those things we would need to see the sprue to know. My greenstuff skills are poor and i am not sure how the cape and wing connect, but is a good idea that would also make it easier to transport without breaking the model.

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Sadly it seems more often than not you're free to be as condescending and snarky as you like on here so long as it's in defence of GW. It's why a lot of critical posts get a string of smart-arsed replies, but people recoil in shock and 'wow just wow' when the same is returned.

Anyway there's been a few edits of the Not!Hammerers floating around with the bull-ornamentation snipped off and they look pretty decent without them. Overall I'm quite fond of the initial Lumineth units shown. I'm not a lover of anything elven so I wouldn't pick them up regardless, but I do think GW are at their strongest whenever they try and make something more basic than 'hella epic and unique'.

Again, critique is not the same as “this is objectively bad and the designers are not good designers.”

lordy. Just tryin to throw some perspective out there. 

Also, the number of folks in this thread who “wouldn’t pick them up anyway” but still have very strong opinions on what they should be. “This was never for me but I need you all to know that I think it’s bad.”

Edited by FlatTooth
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Athrawes said:

Saying 'hopefully this is constructive', and then describing the model as a constipated jack-in-the-box makes you part of the problem.

Seriously, every few days, the same people post similar diatribes about miniatures that have been unveiled for weeks/months. 

If you don't enjoy the design choices, or aesthetics of the range, that is perfectly fine, but why people see the need to spread their bile and whining here and rehash the same points again, and again, and again is beyond me. I come to TGA for the positivity of it's community, but the last few weeks have been incredibly disappointing.  

You all can do better.

You can't bend reality by trying to force positivity.

The fact is the Lumineth models have been getting extremely mixed reviews all over the internet, especially among people who were or even still are excited about the army. You aren't going to get away from it because it's the people who are very interested in the Lumineth who also have strong criticisms about the model and art designs.

Maybe sometime after the army is released and people have committed to playing them or not, the model discussion will die down. Maybe.

Honestly I don't understand the sensitivity from people trying to shut down criticism. I mean, I play Fyreslayers, probably the most derided of all AoS model lines, and I have no shortage of my own criticisms of the models, especially vulkites.  I still like them overall and I don't feel the need to say more than that on the subject. Objectively a lot of their models are badly designed and that is that.

I play Seraphon and I love them but man do I hate some of the models. I love Ogors but you won't find me praising the terrible Slaughtermaster kit, ect ect.  It's not a personal attack if someone doesn't like something you do, and it's entirely possible to dislike or even hate aspects of an army or model range while still loving other bits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, madmac said:

You can't bend reality by trying to force positivity.

The fact is the Lumineth models have been getting extremely mixed reviews all over the internet, especially among people who were or even still are excited about the army. You aren't going to get away from it because it's the people who are very interested in the Lumineth who also have strong criticisms about the model and art designs.

Maybe sometime after the army is released and people have committed to playing them or not, the model discussion will die down. Maybe.

Honestly I don't understand the sensitivity from people trying to shut down criticism. I mean, I play Fyreslayers, probably the most derided of all AoS model lines, and I have no shortage of my own criticisms of the models, especially vulkites.  I still like them overall and I don't feel the need to say more than that on the subject. Objectively a lot of their models are badly designed and that is that.

I play Seraphon and I love them but man do I hate some of the models. I love Ogors but you won't find me praising the terrible Slaughtermaster kit, ect ect.  It's not a personal attack if someone doesn't like something you do, and it's entirely possible to dislike or even hate aspects of an army or model range while still loving other bits.

It's less "no, you have to like it" and more "you said what you want to say about it, stop repeating it all the time, it's getting annoying and definitely boring".

• Like 2

There are two kinds of people in this thread as near as i can see.

Person 1: It's cool to not like something, tastes are different. I like or don't like this but I can acknowledge why other people do not agree. Such is life.

Person 2: How could anybody like this? The existence of this thing is baffling, because of things I don't like about it. This thing is objectively bad and I need other people to agree with me to prove that my point is superior. 

Person 1 is why I come to this forum, and is fostering  a POSITIVE community, they are not trying to denigrate the enjoyment of other community members. 

Person 2 is attacking something in a way meant to make others either feel bad for disagreeing, or to bully them into agreeing.

Be Person 1.  

• Like 10

Blatant repetition of criticism aside (and repetition can be a valid kind of criticism when there is further evidence to support it), forums exist to field criticism as well sharing the love.

I've read posts from many contributors to this thread who have been critical of rules, lore etc  on other threads and yet they are as valid as any criticism of this range so far. What is not valid, or acceptable, is where one person thinks their opinion whether positive or negative is right over some one else's.

Those who love this range need to accept that it will be marmite to others. Those who are disappointed will need to accept this wasnt the range they wanted and collect something else.

Neither are right or wrong opinions.

My own opinion is that I've expected better for the last 2 new factions. Not everyone agrees, and that's ok, even healthy (and tbh I'm glad as at least GW wont lose money on these attempts). There are other ranges I can spend my money on, after all

What is important is that GW gets honest feedback (and we know they read this forum). A business or any organisation cannot succeed in the absence of criticism, after all.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ArchaicArc said:

Has anybody thought out a colour scheme for themselves? I’ve been thinking of using the Lord of the rings high elf scheme, or something at least a little inspired by it!

I’m tempted just to try their scheme (although worried it will be too technical for my skills). Or may just do them more Roman / Spartan looking with red cloths and then metals. Alternatively could do them as Buddhist monks with orange robes and more neutral tones for the other colours.