Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

7 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

People didn't want to believe it was a hammer because "elves don't use hammers!!" but honestly I've been ready for more elves with axes and hammers, and I think they'll look dope when they're finally revealed!

thank you :P I think the high fantasy aesthetic will do hammer elves justice for sure

Yeah man, some people right? (cough, speedily re-writes several older posts to align them with current events 🥴). 

I was firmly in the "that's not a hammer!" camp. I really didn't think they'd do that. That said, I'm happy because of several things:

- I like the look of this hammer unit from what we have seen so far. 

- I doesn't look like we get (m)any aelf/monster hybrids a la Sylvaneth and Daughters, which I like. I'm not a fan of those.

- That unit has AOS all over it, which is good. We get the basic units which look mostly just like nicely done updated High Elves for nostalgics like me, and then some more fantastical stuff to spice things up. 

Really looking forward to what they do with the other elite units. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just throwing this out there, but as time goes on I'm starting to suspect more and more that the Lumineth are going to be released in a dual box with Sons of Behemat. 

1. Rumors for both started at the same time.

2.  Both battletomes have already shipped.

3. It is more unusual for two new armies to release one right after the other than it is to release at the same time.

4. It fits into the timeslot of last year's Shadowspear release. The Lumineth seem to be getting a lot of the same treatmeant as CSM did last year.

Edited by Nighthaunt Noob
  • Like 3

I also agree that the art isnt horrible, I dislike the taste of hammers for elves still though. but then that is what conversions are for, and swapping a hammer head for a awesome axe might be what the doctor ordered for me then. I'll reserve full judgement till I see the models, I do really hope the dawnriders are a dual kit and we can give them some bows too. Even if we cannot legally have bows, I might magnetize a conversion so that way if I ever decide to play Ninth age or some old school WHFB then I can swap them to be reavers.

I think this article posted more info than I initially thought, I was really super bummed out at first but it seems after getting off my ****** and perusing the forums here yall have renewed my vigor for the army... I do have to say though if we do not get dragons and dragons are the Malerion route, then I will 100% be buying them and they will probably happen to have the same color scheme as my LRL with a few different highlights.... I mean they are both order so if the LRL don't get dragon knights on dragons, shooting dragons magicially at enemies.... then I will just have to ally with the guy who will LOL! 

Oh I also heard someone on rantcast about the lumineth realm lords predict that the rock or base that everyone is saying is from the rumor engine and is terrain, may be a caster lord style character or a support caster. If you look at the rumor engine there is something coming off the rock. Not saying that is what it is or isn't, it could be energy connected to nothing but with how dynamic and monopose GW has been lately with floaty (albeit good) models... it could be connected to a lumineth realm lord caster of some type.

Edit: to add a point and not double post.

Edited by Mr2spyderguy
  • Like 2

The base that that rock outcrop is own looks to be small, although admittedly it's tough to tell in the background.  My guess would be it's some sort of support hero on foot.  My tinfoil hat guess is it's some sort of "spirit chaneller," a character that strengthens or utilizes the geomantic spirits as either a buffer or debuffer.

28 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

The base that that rock outcrop is own looks to be small, although admittedly it's tough to tell in the background.  My guess would be it's some sort of support hero on foot.  My tinfoil hat guess is it's some sort of "spirit chaneller," a character that strengthens or utilizes the geomantic spirits as either a buffer or debuffer.

To me it looks like a 40mm base ^^

5 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

the hammer head is right above his fist isn't it?? i don't see it in your rendition

you can even see the insignians above his hand of the hammer, look like fishhooks

What I originally saw the picture very similar to what @willing showed above. Here, is it one more time. It's very blurry of course, and there is a lot of stuff going on the background. 

Why I thought it could be a hammer besides the blurry picture is that, it looks like he holds a weapon with a long staff with both hands, and there is something heavy looking on top of it. It's not a sword or spear. In addition the armour style also looks very heavy and also similar to one of the hammer pictures we saw in the rumour machine (a little bit like chipped stone or something). 

The heavy armour, the way the weapon is held, and the motion - he is putting all his weight into a swing, in combination with the hammer like ending on top of it and the previous two hammer rumour pictures, made it look  like a hammer a hammer to me.

Could turn out to be something different in the end of course, let''s see. 

50752090_Screenshot2020-02-2513_48_28.png.0aa55a1a0fc431cb83783396f23f1093.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm just glad it looks likely we're getting an elite melee infantry option, and I'm pretty sure we're getting an archer unit too. Hopefully the drip feed starts showing some new units in the coming weeks as they've already covered the spear-aelves and cavalry (or Teclis and Eltharion, I guess.)

It wouldn't be unreasonable for them to do a minor rules spoiler for the next article.  I'm not sure they would do an entire article on Teclis....yet.  I could see them doing a focus article on him once the army is out, and maybe Eltharion too.  But for the moment I doubt they want to give away all the juicy info, especially given the small tidbits they've been giving us.  I could see them maybe previewing one of the smaller army-wide rules.

It’s kinda funny how we have a setting where we have not only snake elf hybrids, but eels riding elves that can fight literally anywhere by bringing the ocean with them, but suddenly elves wielding hammers is too much. (Even for me a few pages back)

i think we’re forgetting that the elves are linking with the natural spirits of hyish in the form of elements. I think we’re going to see spirit boosted elves wielding these hammers, which a lot of people already discussed. Plus, it’s not like elves where strength 2 or of supremely lower strength than human in the game settings. They are a bit weaker, but most of them have the same stats in games like warhammer fantasy battles and warcry, so it’s not too much of a stretch for me to see an elf using a hammer compared to a human using a hammer.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

My big disconect with the hammers is that they are a brutal, savage weapon.  Elves have traditionally been elegent, finesseful race.  These two images just don't really overlap in my head.  As I said though, if they can make the concept work, I'll at least try them out.

True, but I see the hammers being used in a martial arts way, like in the Raid 2. In that movie we see characters using two claw hammers and bats in fairly graceful ways, less smashing and bashing and more precise hits with the hammer. I think this would work better if the hammers where smaller on the model, but with magic anything is possible.

Edited by Acid_Nine

1 hour ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

My big disconect with the hammers is that they are a brutal, savage weapon.  Elves have traditionally been elegent, finesseful race.  These two images just don't really overlap in my head.  As I said though, if they can make the concept work, I'll at least try them out.

White lions?