Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

3 hours ago, woolf said:

Guys what would be your thoughts on the following:

Leaders: Wind mage (teleport), Lord regent (protection), Cathallar (eclipse), Sevireth

Battleline: 30x Warden (lambent), 20 Warden (lambent), 20 Sentinel (ethereal), 10 Sentinel (ethereal)

Other: 5x Dawnriders (speed), 1 Akhelian Allopex

Spells: Twinstones

Idea was to execute something like this:

Cathallar cast Twinstone, big sentinels power up, LR Greater power of hysh on big warden block and small sentinels (if he only gets 1 then small sentinel sacrifice their power up), small sentinel cast ethereal on big warden. Then Windmage teleport big warden unit forward, they cast lambent light on <insert key target>. Shooting opens up and hopefully delete something important. So by end of this you have stuck 30 ethereal wardens in shining company in the face of opponent + taken out something fairly important. Windmage then position to basically do the same next round with smaller warden block.

To not rely on getting 2x greater power of hysh you could use an aetherquarts on the sentinels although ofc need to be declared up front so I guess depending on risk appetite..

Lord regent later can try to get protection up and run around as a bit of a shield beacon.

Seiverth and Allopex (the shark was a bit of gapfill, maybe something better there?) are there to harrass and mess with opponent pile ins, and together with Dawnriders to either buy time by acting road block or for late game snatching objectives

Any thoughts very welcome!

What is it you’re trying to achieve exactly?

I ask because you pulled this list from Jason Duncan from the YouTube vid let’s talk lumineth from a day ago in which he explains the 2 lists you’ve combined in a 40min segment each. All you had done was remove his battalion, extra cp, and dropped an endless spell along with the martial hero for a sev.

and I think to play 50 wardens without the legion battalion will only have a negative impact seeing youre playing all auralan units that now cannot re-roll 1’s on their save.

Edited by Sivyre

28 minutes ago, Sivyre said:

What is it you’re trying to achieve exactly?

I ask because you pulled this list from Jason Duncan from the YouTube vid let’s talk lumineth from a day ago in which he explains the 2 lists you’ve combined in a 40min segment each. All you had done was remove his battalion, extra cp, and dropped an endless spell along with the martial hero for a sev.

and I think to play 50 wardens without the legion battalion will only have a negative impact seeing youre playing all auralan units that now cannot re-roll 1’s on their save.

i have not seen what u refer to, this was something I thought about and wanted to post for feedback.

• Like 2

@woolf Assuming this is in good faith, why specifically did you decide to ally in the Allopex?  That is a rather specific choice, as opposed to allying eel riders which one could make a good arguement for being the better ally.

These are two great videos for list break downs and alternative ideas for anyone who hasn't seen them.  The one with Duncan @woolf contains list very similar to the one you posted,  and might help.

9 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

@woolf Assuming this is in good faith, why specifically did you decide to ally in the Allopex?  That is a rather specific choice, as opposed to allying eel riders which one could make a good arguement for being the better ally.

These are two great videos for list break downs and alternative ideas for anyone who hasn't seen them.  The one with Duncan @woolf contains list very similar to the one you posted,  and might help.

quite simply because i own IDK and have used allopex in my 1k LRL since im a slow painter.... 

why would I try to steal someones content? makes no sense...

anyways I think the net makes allopex a pretty solid allied unit. and yes many content creators have pointed that out so maybe I'm stealing someones IP now lol

thx for links I will check them out!

edit: Eels I don't think make sense as ally as more expensive, less utility and the rely on buff for output. defensive eels maybe I suppose if u want screening unit

Edited by woolf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, woolf said:

quite simply because i own IDK and have used allopex in my 1k LRL since im a slow painter.... 

As an IDK player, do you think having 10 Thralls and a Soulscryer as allies to deepstrike in would be a viable option?  I'm thinking it could create some cautiousness and it's the only way to get deepstrike in the army.  I say Thralls because I already have them painted (another unfinished project). 

51 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

As an IDK player, do you think having 10 Thralls and a Soulscryer as allies to deepstrike in would be a viable option?  I'm thinking it could create some cautiousness and it's the only way to get deepstrike in the army.  I say Thralls because I already have them painted (another unfinished project). 

i have considered that but could not really justify the cost tbh. the thralls are so fragile so they won't work as tarpit and 10 won't hit hard enough to take out something important. soulscryer 130pts for only delivering one unit (his charge buff only working on IDK keyworded units) is tough to accommodate in LRL since we are already low on bodies and we need quite a lot of points in other heroes to support the army. the allopex is nice as he brings value just on his own.

I think (at least theory as haven't tried it yet) that the windmage with his teleport is the way to go for solving mobility, and I have tried building lists around him rather. what I think makes sense is pairing him with warden blocks, then adding lord regent so u can power up the wardens u teleport but still have their cast open to put in lambent ligth when they arrive (or try getting protection of hysh off for even greater defence). u will then need twinstone to power it as teleport is high cast, so u want a third hero to cast that to take adv of shrine reroll (cathallar probably makes most sense as u likely won't leave home without her regardless). and this line of reasoning is basically what was behind my previous post.

also watched the video linked above and his second list is indeed similar although he use Alumnia instead of windmage as the "delivery system" for this. I kinda prefer mine as I think it's more flexible not only having the mobility from pregame move and probably more importantly it will be able to benefit from Syar providing more power. he is arguably more experienced than me though so u migth also want to watch that video, was indeed quite good :)

as for the battalion I'm not sure it's worth it, the rr1 requires units to be close and whole point here is to send them off, so I think I rather take the 140pts for an extra unit. In the list in the video since its alumnia he will value the extra CP more I think for the run & charge, and there is always the lower drop benefit ofc

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, woolf said:

i have considered that but could not really justify the cost tbh. the thralls are so fragile so they won't work as tarpit and 10 won't hit hard enough to take out something important. soulscryer 130pts for only delivering one unit (his charge buff only working on IDK keyworded units) is tough to accommodate in LRL since we are already low on bodies and we need quite a lot of points in other heroes to support the army. the allopex is nice as he brings value just on his own.

I think (at least theory as haven't tried it yet) that the windmage with his teleport is the way to go for solving mobility, and I have tried building lists around him rather. what I think makes sense is pairing him with warden blocks, then adding lord regent so u can power up the wardens u teleport but still have their cast open to put in lambent ligth when they arrive (or try getting protection of hysh off for even greater defence). u will then need twinstone to power it as teleport is high cast, so u want a third hero to cast that to take adv of shrine reroll (cathallar probably makes most sense as u likely won't leave home without her regardless). and this line of reasoning is basically what was behind my previous post.

also watched the video linked above and his second list is indeed similar although he use Alumnia instead of windmage as the "delivery system" for this. I kinda prefer mine as I think it's more flexible not only having the mobility from pregame move and probably more importantly it will be able to benefit from Syar providing more power. he is arguably more experienced than me though so u migth also want to watch that video, was indeed quite good :)

as for the battalion I'm not sure it's worth it, the rr1 requires units to be close and whole point here is to send them off, so I think I rather take the 140pts for an extra unit. In the list in the video since its alumnia he will value the extra CP more I think for the run & charge, and there is always the lower drop benefit ofc

Thank you for the feedback, it's very useful.  I was unsure as it is a lot of points from an LRL point of view, so it's good to hear from someone with more IDK knowledge.  I am currently painting up a Windmage, so the strategy you outlined above is probably the safer bet, as you say.  I only wish Wardens were a little less ... spiky.  I shall look into the video mentioned - thanks again.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 5:31 PM, Maogrim said:

Hey guys, would really love some ideas here...

So, as some of you might have read, I really like Ymetrica lore- and colour-wise (though I'm switching blue for turqoise) and the whole Alarith theme, even though they might not be super competitive. I'm not planning to got to tournaments anyway. Now what I also really like is the Archmage himself, the God of Magic...

Is there away to combine Teclis and an Alarith Mountain Temple battalion in a halfway decent list? Would like to run 20 Stoneguard, but how should I fill up the rest of the points?

the thing is, you can try, but you wont have the points for sentinels, wich is the reason we are so strong, you can brew a really fun list tho, i tryed this one myself and its really fun

Allegiance: Lumineth Realm Lords
- Great Nation: Ymetrica

Leaders
Archmage Teclis and Celennar, Spirit of Hysh (660)
Avalenor, the Stoneheart King (360)
Alarith Stonemage (130)

Battleline
10 x Alarith Stoneguard (200)
- Stone Mallets
- Stone Mallets
- Stone Mallets

Battalions
Alarith Temple (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 95

This wont make you win a tournament but sureally its a strong list

On 5/19/2021 at 6:47 PM, Sivyre said:

- Great Nation: Syar
Archmage Teclis and Celennar, Spirit of Hysh(660)
Scinari Cathallar (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Goading Arrogance  
- Artefact: The Perfect Blade  
- Lore of Hysh: Protection of Hysh
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120)
- Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120)
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (280)
- Lore of Hysh: Lambent Light
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (140)
- Stone Mallets
- Stone Mallets
Alarith Temple (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 111

something like this might be a good start for you to work with which meets your criteria.

on the table your probably looking to have 2 blocks consisting of stone guards on the front with wardens in the rear utilizing their 3” range with support from the 30 sentinels.

Just know battlelines are weak for objectives so it’s imperative you keep the wardens alive.

all in all this may meet your aim or with minor changes to suit your likes/needs more so.

mind you if you’re trying to go with ymetrica as the great nation I just feel syar proves more valuable vs the passive -2 rend. Up to you what you want and the list above may spark some creativity as it is essentially a good start state for you and the list you may come up with.

The ymetrica great nation had the advantage of making all your units battle line which will help play the objectives.

let me know what you come up with, I am quite curious.

Stoneguard are wasted points here, you dont play alarith in syar, you go full ymetrica or you dont, simply for the fact that there are much better unit to take in syar (more sentinels, bladelords to babysit the cathallar)

On 5/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, Sivyre said:

Because you have some experience regardless that it is limited, would you say that severith was worth the 300 points to be included in a list, or do you feel his points cost would find more value else where?

Yes, hes worth the points, he can do so much and can really troll the opponent, in the right hands he can seriusly win games alone

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 2:08 PM, Sivyre said:

I put together a list (below) and would like to hear what your thoughts are.

I am not sure sure if the calligrave and vortex will prove useful but the idea here is allowing the model to cast protection of hysh and erasure. Alternatively those could be removed and a unit of 10 sentinels could be added bringing the total to 30 as we all know LRL strength is within those sentinels.

- Great Nation: Ymetrica

Leaders
Avalenor, the Stoneheart King (360)
Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh Wind (300)
Scinari Cathallar (140)
- Artefact: Silver Wand  
- Lore of Hysh: Total Eclipse
Alarith Stonemage (130)
- General
- Command Trait: Almighty Blow  
- Artefact: Mountain's Gift  
- Lore of the High Peaks: Voice of the Mountain
Scinari Calligrave (100)
- Lore of Hysh: Protection of Hysh

Battleline
15 x Alarith Stoneguard (300)
- Stone Mallets
5 x Alarith Stoneguard (100)
- Stone Mallets
5 x Alarith Stoneguard (100)
- Stone Mallets

Units
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (280)

Battalions
Alarith Temple (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Hyshian Twinstones (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 109

Drop the calligrave and the balewind and go for 10 10 10 stoneguard for more board controll and you have a really solid list, put lambent light on the cathallar

On 5/23/2021 at 9:25 AM, HanShot First said:

Just a quick question, was The End of Enlightenment any good? Going on vacation and was going to pick up a book to read during it.

Yes, it's pretty good. Also the description of the OBR at the start of the novel is very good. It provides some background on how it felt to be in the invasion of Hysh as a normal soldier and also about the OBR campaign in Ymetrica. 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2021 at 7:47 PM, fenriswolf2003 said:

Yes very. It completely made up for the failure that is the Realm lords novel. Can only recommend it.

So here is my unpopular opinion, I really liked the Realmlords novel!  I am usually pretty harsh on the bad AoS novels but for some reason I just enjoyed it.  I have no excuses to offer!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 9:54 AM, El Antiguo Guardián said:

Last week I prepared this video. Maybe can be interesting for someone.

AoS 2.0. List Analysis - Lumineth Realmlords - Teclis list Analysis - YouTube

Thank you very much for the list analysis! The list seems very good, just painting 40 Wardens sounds like a nightmare right now. 😅

Just, if I may offer a small bit of hopefully constructive criticism: I understand that Spanish is your native language and that's absolutely fine, of course - it's an awesome language :) ! But your accent makes it a little hard to understand everything at times, at least when you talk faster. Maybe you could try to take it a little slower?

• Like 1

So, up until now I really wanted to play Ymetrica since I really like the Alarith aesthetic as well as the lore of the nation, but I'm growing increasingly annoyed with the fact, that the nation's rules do nothing for units except Stoneguard...

Du you think it would be viable to turn things around and play Stoneguard, maybe a whole Alarith Temple battalion, in another nation? I'm not looking to go to any tournaments, just more casual games against friends.

I’ve also been struggling with Ymetrica.  I started using the province and an Alarith battalion after reading Realm Lords and really like the theme of the army.  Having upwards of half of my force able to rely on their saves is my favourite part, and the idea of how the formations move when in combat that was given in the books is something that I always imagine, like the opening scene of the first LotR movie where all the elves moved uniform in perfect synchronicity.

Unfortunately it doesn’t scale as well as the other provinces, I think because of the issue you mentioned, in that the bonus only applies to Alarith models.  I’ve found going all in on the hammer bros puts me way behind in the magic phase but the mountain spirits and command points have proven to be very strategic pieces.  I never seem to have the board presence required to either push to far objectives or holdout on the ones I control for more than a turn or two, especially with all the mortal wounds and shooting floating around where you don’t get the rerolls on your saves.

I personally would love to run a competitive army that didn’t use Teclis, Sentinels or a Cathaller at all.  After trying to go all close combat and using some of the new movement tricks I personally think the Alarith Temple is our best hammer/anvil.  I’ll try and think of some lists, the main thing I’ve found is the Mage and the Spirit always do wonders but I always end up wanting to spend the 200 points from the Stoneguard on Starshards or a wizard and some endless spells.

Edited by Andalf
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Maogrim said:

So, up until now I really wanted to play Ymetrica since I really like the Alarith aesthetic as well as the lore of the nation, but I'm growing increasingly annoyed with the fact, that the nation's rules do nothing for units except Stoneguard...

Du you think it would be viable to turn things around and play Stoneguard, maybe a whole Alarith Temple battalion, in another nation? I'm not looking to go to any tournaments, just more casual games against friends.

Casually you can do whatever you like, surelly in ymetrica they get a big boost, and if you put the whole alarith batalion those are 690 wasted on units that can be better, if you want to use them in an other nation consider just using units of 5/10, they can hold objective and provvide support

Honestly i find them REALLY strong in ymetrica (and really funny to use) and i dont bother if units like archers gets nothing since they shoot the same

19 hours ago, Andalf said:

I’ve also been struggling with Ymetrica.  I started using the province and an Alarith battalion after reading Realm Lords and really like the theme of the army.  Having upwards of half of my force able to rely on their saves is my favourite part, and the idea of how the formations move when in combat that was given in the books is something that I always imagine, like the opening scene of the first LotR movie where all the elves moved uniform in perfect synchronicity.

Unfortunately it doesn’t scale as well as the other provinces, I think because of the issue you mentioned, in that the bonus only applies to Alarith models.  I’ve found going all in on the hammer bros puts me way behind in the magic phase but the mountain spirits and command points have proven to be very strategic pieces.  I never seem to have the board presence required to either push to far objectives or holdout on the ones I control for more than a turn or two, especially with all the mortal wounds and shooting floating around where you don’t get the rerolls on your saves.

I personally would love to run a competitive army that didn’t use Teclis, Sentinels or a Cathaller at all.  After trying to go all close combat and using some of the new movement tricks I personally think the Alarith Temple is our best hammer/anvil.  I’ll try and think of some lists, the main thing I’ve found is the Mage and the Spirit always do wonders but I always end up wanting to spend the 200 points from the Stoneguard on Starshards or a wizard and some endless spells.

I really understand you, and i always try my best to find alternative lists, but unfortunatly the meta is pretty stale, all armyes have just 1, max 2 actually competitive list (unlike 40k) i really hope aos 3 change this

On 5/28/2021 at 3:43 AM, Austin said:

So here is my unpopular opinion, I really liked the Realmlords novel!  I am usually pretty harsh on the bad AoS novels but for some reason I just enjoyed it.  I have no excuses to offer!

Haha, for me it was probably the worst Black Library novel I have ever read 😄

The End of Enlightenment is a significant improvement.

At this point, Alarith players might be out of luck unless you play narrative only.  The new battalions are going to be the only ones available during match play, and I'm not sure the Ymetrica subfaction is enough to carry a competitve list by itself.  Sorry to all of our Hammerbros!

On the plus side though, I think Alumnia's stock is on the rise, especially with the smaller board size.

On 6/2/2021 at 12:18 AM, Koradrel of Chrace said:

At this point, Alarith players might be out of luck unless you play narrative only.  The new battalions are going to be the only ones available during match play, and I'm not sure the Ymetrica subfaction is enough to carry a competitve list by itself.  Sorry to all of our Hammerbros!

On the plus side though, I think Alumnia's stock is on the rise, especially with the smaller board size.

mmmm are you sure all the current batalions will be gone?

If you are right then yes, we are all doomed xD