Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

I feel like they’re unique for several reasons. The fluff of course, but also I think having the ability to take a whole bunch of quite strong heroes and chucking them all 3” away from the enemy turn 1, or being able to take all the objectives before the game starts, would be absurd. So I’m totally fine with only being able to take 1. But I do think that they should be able to take relics. 

Listen, it is POSSIBLE that I ordered two of these guys before the battletome previews were up.  I'm gonna need you to get on board here.

• Haha 5

I agree, I’m gonna do the same. They look awkwardly tacked on, kinda hovering off the model and only attached to their banners. I think it’ll make them look better from behind (giggidy).

EDIT: Thinking about how our dmg is primarily through MW, which isn’t hugely fun, I feel like it would’ve been a little healthier if Power of Hysh instead gave an extra -1Rend or +1 to-wound or something instead of doubling MW output. I know it wouldn’t be as powerful, but it would also be a lot nicer to fight.
It’s pretty much the only part of the Lumineth I’m not a fan of tbh, I really enjoy their rules as a whole, they seem quite fun. But dishing out buckets of MW just seems unsatisfying to fight against. I mean, even if sunmetal didn’t do mortal wounds, but auto wounded on 6’s, PoH buffing it to 5+, so they could at least roll their saves, would be nicer.

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 2

So am I to understand that the Hurikan Temple battalion just straight up gives every unit in it (near a Hero) a free 6" move in every Combat Phase, including the opponent's? Thst seems really good, though tempered by how mediocre I find the Windchargers. 

I agree, I’m gonna do the same. They look awkwardly tacked on, kinda hovering off the model and only attached to their banners. I think it’ll make them look better from behind (giggidy).

EDIT: Thinking about how our dmg is primarily through MW, which isn’t hugely fun, I feel like it would’ve been a little healthier if Power of Hysh instead gave an extra -1Rend or +1 to-wound or something instead of doubling MW output. I know it wouldn’t be as powerful, but it would also be a lot nicer to fight.
It’s pretty much the only part of the Lumineth I’m not a fan of tbh, I really enjoy their rules as a whole, they seem quite fun. But dishing out buckets of MW just seems unsatisfying to fight against. I mean, even if sunmetal didn’t do mortal wounds, but auto wounded on 6’s, PoH buffing it to 5+, so they could at least roll their saves, would be nicer.

It's their thing, because they are a magic faction. I like it in a way because it makes them stand-out, feel like they have magical weapons, being pretty elite, without actually doing that much damage (they do very very good surgical damage though). But as you say, it has its drawbacks. It also depends against which factions you play, for some it can be really difficult because they don't have (m)any options against MW, and therefore it's not really fun, because a really large percent of the incoming damage will be just MW. 

If you are concerned about that, you can play a Hurakan/Alarith army, which has a very limited MW output. Or any mix with temple units and only a few Vanari/Scinari. Your MW output will just be average. You can do this actually much better now than before : ). I'm planing on a list like that to mix things up. 

• Like 2

I really like the idea of a Vanari focused army is the only thing. But I’ll be testing them out anyway, my brother plays Ossiarchs, who we’ve struggled with having so many stacked armour saves and ways to revive, so we’re hoping Lumineth will be the answer to some even games between us haha.

But yeah I think a focused Alarith/Hurakan list will also be quite fun down the line when I have more money haha.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I really like the idea of a Vanari focused army is the only thing. But I’ll be testing them out anyway, my brother plays Ossiarchs, who we’ve struggled with having so many stacked armour saves and ways to revive, so we’re hoping Lumineth will be the answer to some even games between us haha.

But yeah I think a focused Alarith/Hurakan list will also be quite fun down the line when I have more money haha.

That might do, OBR struggle with MW, so probably you two can fine-tune it over time. I think if you do not roll out 60 Sentinels and shoot everything down T1, this might be interesting. He also has there option to go Null-Myriad to throw in a wrench into all your magic shenanigans. Might be fun in the end!

• Like 1

I'm building towards a Non-Teclis Vanari army eventually. I love their rules and their cohesive design. The Lord Regent opens up so many possibilities IMO, saving spellcasts for other units you can potentially get some crazy buffs up.

Edited by Dreadmund
  • Like 2

I'm stopping my tests around Hurakans. Maybe I'm not understanding their playstyle, maybe I'm just a bad player but I think both Windmage and Windchargers are not worth in any list or too expensive to get them full portential.

I'm going to start trying Alarith+Vanari and full Vanari, they seem to have much potential.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:07 AM, setr said:

Hey credit where credit is due. Lumineth had been on my radar for awhile now, I’ve been wanting to do a “frost elves” theme ever since the cities of sigmar book came out  with phoenix guard and frost Phoenix featuring heavily. I’ve been interested in this theme again ever since the model range got released but most Lumineth schemes seem to focus on warm sun related colors and terrain and that wasn’t what I was going for. I’d never seen someone nail that cold atmosphere with the lumineth until your post.

I have an airbrush and am familiar with molotow and think very highly of their paints, to the the extent I’ve started exclusively using them for my airbrush primers. I think I will experiment with the green primer now that you’ve mentioned this, I’d never considered using green.  Up until now I’d only been using black or occasionally purple (great for models with a lot of skin, I love their purple). I haven’t used many greens in my paint schemes yet so that will be interesting. 

I feel like we are both at a very similar place in our airbrush learning experience because I think I understand exactly how you got the effect that you did with the airbrush now that you explained it, I recognized all the terms you used so you didn’t lose me. I’ve mostly been using vallejo metal color and valejo liquid silver/gold for my metallics since so far they are the best metallics I’d used. The info about scale 75 is a huge help to me, I had been trying to find another similarly good metallic range that had more variations in metal tones. Vallejo are  great at achieving beautiful traditional gold/copper/silver by mixing them with eachother but I had been encountering issues mixing non traditional metallic colors like green gold or blue silver by trying to add colored inks to them without ruining the metal finish. Mixing my own regular non metallic colors was easy and fun and usually I prefer to do this, but the metallics I had trouble with because it was impossible for me to get the specific metal colors I wanted after trying several different methods. 

You’ve sold me on buying some scale 75 to play with in the airbrush. Just by looking at your models it is obvious those metal paints look excellent. It looks like they have a wide range of color variation to them as well, so I thank you for setting me on the path to fiddling with that paint range for hours and hours haha.

Anyhow, thank you for the information, it was very useful to me and opened up some doors for me when it comes to getting more varied and interesting metallic colors. I’m always interested in hearing about knowledge, products, and tricks good painters layer to get great results. And it was pretty cool to see someone nail a cold/frost lumineth scheme so I could have proof it can be done and look wonderful! 

Two questions going forward since I am still in the process of learning new “advanced” panting techniques. I’m familiar with using diluted mineral spirits to make my own oil washes as you mentioned, as I am currently in the process of practicing this on my current ironjawz project ever since I learned of this method a few months back. It is a game changer. Right now I only have black, umber, and magenta. Did you use black/umber, or some other oil color? I’m still learning how to incorporate more colors in my oil washes.

Second question is I am curious how you got your skin colors. Skin is of course very difficult and time consuming to blend, so you often have to zenethal models with a lot of skin the skin tones at the beginning of the painting process. I’ve done things like ironjawz Brutes where it was necessary for me to zenethol the entire model the skin tones first then have to go in by hand and apply all the metals. 

Lumineth don’t have much skin showing so it appears you were safe to zenethal the entire model those nice scale 75 paints, yes? That would have left some of their skin metallic, and you’d have needed an opaque skin tone with a lot of covering power to go over the places where skin is showing. Is this correct? What paint did you use for the skin and cloth that effectively covered the metal zenethal you started with, if that is how you achieved your scheme? If I wanted to do a similar zenethal with metal colors of my own I would be very nervous about the paints I currently use not having the covering power to not bleed through a bit of metal if I wasn’t careful. I’ve never trued but I’d like to at some point. What paints did you use on the skin and robes/non metal areas?

Hey again!

sorry forthe slow reply! I put most of the work into the armor, so I try to keep the rest of the model as simple as possible.

To answer your questions:

1. The skin is just guilliman flesh over grey seer, Thats all! Be sure to apply the grey seer in very thin coats, to get opacity without obscuring the delicate details. like you siad, they dont show much flesh, so I dont mind taking the time for multiple thin coats.

2. I use a bottle of vallejo turquoise paint, not surer of the actual name as the label is peeled off, but its very similar to GW Thunderhawk blue. And thats  all, i paint it on, then mix with off white to build up volumetric highlights, and then glaze over it in the original colour to obscure the messy jumps in shade. Couldnt be easier!

3. I use regular black for the oil wash, but burnt umber could work too. I have been experimenting using JUST oil washes to paint over white primer, its super fun and messy, so I use it on my nighthaunt!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragest said:

I'm stopping my tests around Hurakans. Maybe I'm not understanding their playstyle, maybe I'm just a bad player but I think both Windmage and Windchargers are not worth in any list or too expensive to get them full portential.

I'm going to start trying Alarith+Vanari and full Vanari, they seem to have much potential.

I think if you're bringing a Windmage, it's for supporting a Spirit of the Wind with healing and zipping around doing support stuff. The Windchargers feel like they're basically just sneaky objective grabbers and maybe want to snipe small Heroes, but they're a bit expensive for it and other units do it better. 

In a fun list, though, Windchargers are super cool and I'm considering adding a few more boxes to my order for the lulz. 

Wow look away for a day and 20 pages were added xD

I am excited to see how this is all gonna play out, especially on TTS. I hope to avoid a Kroak list again (I had my more casual army demolished top of turn 1 by a kroak list, and it was sad times.) but I am excited to try out my full legion list of ballista, dawn riders, regeant and spartan elves.

interesting question though. Is it more useful to have a list with 30 sentinels in a squad of 20 and 10 with 1 ballista, or should I drop 10 sentinels to get another ballista?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Wow look away for a day and 20 pages were added xD

I am excited to see how this is all gonna play out, especially on TTS. I hope to avoid a Kroak list again (I had my more casual army demolished top of turn 1 by a kroak list, and it was sad times.) but I am excited to try out my full legion list of ballista, dawn riders, regeant and spartan elves.

interesting question though. Is it more useful to have a list with 30 sentinels in a squad of 20 and 10 with 1 ballista, or should I drop 10 sentinels to get another ballista?

I’m going to go with a block of 20 Sentinels and 2 Ballistas I think, myself. Get a few extra points, less to paint, and you can use the blinding bolts ability twice. Will also look pretty boss.

2 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I’m going to go with a block of 20 Sentinels and 2 Ballistas I think, myself. Get a few extra points, less to paint, and you can use the blinding bolts ability twice. Will also look pretty boss.

I would use a block of 20 but I am still going for the Auralan legion, so I need at least 2 squads of sentinels. Otherwise, I would be taking both!

5 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

I would use a block of 20 but I am still going for the Auralan legion, so I need at least 2 squads of sentinels. Otherwise, I would be taking both!

I want the Auralan Legion too but I’m having a real hard time putting a Cathellar (and finding the points for the battalion) into the list with all the other units I want XC 

But yeah that makes sense. I guess you could split them into 2 units of 10 if you also wanted to go 2 Ballistas. Otherwise a unit of 20, a unit of 10 and a ballista sounds good. 

Edited by Tiberius501

A bit random question: Any new combos/rules that makes the Light of Eltharion a little bit more valid option to take? 
I bet it will be fun to pair him (especially with teleports) with a Loreseeker, but I don't know if it's something more about him. 

4 hours ago, Ragest said:

I'm starting to believe, it was YOU, the Lumineth player, that had the NPE all along.

PLOT TWIST.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Heksagon said:

A bit random question: Any new combos/rules that makes the Light of Eltharion a little bit more valid option to take? 
I bet it will be fun to pair him (especially with teleports) with a Loreseeker, but I don't know if it's something more about him. 

Not that I’ve played much, but he seems pretty cool as a counter charging unit. Chills behind the lines, giving his leadership aura to them. Then they can part a gap in the middle for him to charge through when he needs to. Maybe enemies have too much good shooting these days for that, but it’s one potential way for him to synergies with units a little more.

1 hour ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

A Question that is burning deep inside me now searing my Soul: Why does the Calligrave have 3" reach with his Blade?
I will houserule that to 1" no matter what.

I just picture him absorbed in his painting while the sword defends him automatically.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1