Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

5 hours ago, Gargamel196 said:

Im afraid that Unique characters are also considered named character. No FAQ needed. Source is the text on the Pitched battle profile page. I just learned this yesterday when I was considering putting Blade of leaping gold on the Loreseeker. I hope its an error, but probably not. So still no Scinari combat hero to put the Blade on. 

where is this text located? I'm aware core rules state that named Characters cant pick artefacts (core rules pg 15) but not that unique also equals named?

edit: Reading the flavor text on loreseeker it very much does not come across as Named, and it carries no artefacts so would surprise me if you cannot pick an artifact, I think they just wanted to restrict it to one per army to not allow some obnoxious spam list...

Edited by woolf

15 minutes ago, woolf said:

where is this text located? I'm aware core rules state that named Characters cant pick artefacts (core rules pg 15) but not that unique also equals named?

I think that it's in the rules that explain how points work (in the same page as the tablet that has all the points).

Just now, Beliman said:

I think that it's in the rules that explain how points work (in the same page as the tablet that has all the points).

hmm ok.. i checked GHB but it only says unique units can only be chosen once, nothing about them being treated as named or restrictions on artifacts/cmd traits. so unless there is a FAQ you can take an artifact on Loreseeker as far as I can tell at least

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, woolf said:

edit: Reading the flavor text on loreseeker it very much does not come across as Named, and it carries no artefacts so would surprise me if you cannot pick an artifact, I think they just wanted to restrict it to one per army to not allow some obnoxious spam list...

in our battletome, the old one. And in all the others to I assume. Last page "Pitched battle profiles". In the text in the beginning of the page. 

"Units that are listed as 'Unique' are named characters and can only be taken once in an army". 

35 minutes ago, woolf said:

hmm ok.. i checked GHB but it only says unique units can only be chosen once, nothing about them being treated as named or restrictions on artifacts/cmd traits. so unless there is a FAQ you can take an artifact on Loreseeker as far as I can tell at least

As @Gargamel196 already said, it's in the battleromes. No need for a FAQ:

Spoiler

Lumineth.jpg.f2d7bd5c0f23887cd7e51d0ba88859e0.jpg

Edited by Beliman
ninja'd
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gargamel196 said:

in our battletome, the old one. And in all the others to I assume. Last page "Pitched battle profiles". In the text in the beginning of the page. 

"Units that are listed as 'Unique' are named characters and can only be taken once in an army". 

thx yes I see it now. I do wonder what his name is though 😂 I think we should ask for an FAQ on this...

56 minutes ago, Saodexan said:

Yes it need a FAQ, on every named character it tell you on their warscrolls. Not the Loreseeker.  Something is wrong and need to be errata.
image.png.ab6c6e8a49327e532cea8f63898fb495.pngimage.png.5574153d150061cb5eb870c813a4f1af.pngimage.png.2f5d7ba4b910bef5b9e0ef6a51bf67ba.pngimage.png.77dd44c776a174c53272263938e3ab70.png

It's a bit strange.
Blue scribes, see edit:

Nop anymore, FAQ's made Blue Scribes a Named Character (see edit 2)!!

Maybe the Description is wrong, or maybe the Pitched Battles Profile is wrong. Or maybe non of them are wrong and they are using the "Unique" mechanic for other units that are not named characters but still GW think that shoudn't be spammed nor cutomized.

EDIT (thx Deinok):

Spoiler

Tzeentch.jpg.f385bb33cff2a93e6ccdaeb82de46b73.jpg

Tzeentch_Description.jpg.7b7a504b6ce0b57265fcb0c9b801f56a.jpg

Second EDIT, thx @Gargamel196 :

Spoiler

Tzeentch_Description_02.jpg.dc3f0971c327884f3fbcc3072f62fe1b.jpg

Edited by Beliman

Just now, Beliman said:

It's a bit strange.

Maybe the Description is wrong, or maybe the Pitched Battles Profile is wrong. Or maybe non of them are wrong and they are using the "Unique" mechanic for other units that are not named characters but still GW think that shoudn't be spammed nor cutomized (until a FAQ comes, it seems to be the case).

maybe they have a different text in the new battle tome? i.e. on the pitched battle page

28 minutes ago, woolf said:

maybe they have a different text in the new battle tome? i.e. on the pitched battle page

Good thought! But just checked Guerilla miniatures review where he shows the new page. No  change Im afraid.

It is indeed odd that the other named characters specficly says they are named on  their warscrolls.

@Beliman Nice catch. But I see the Blue Scribes was changed to named character via the errata. 

Edited by Gargamel196
  • Thanks 1

I think that Loreseeker’s abilities are strong enough to not let anyone pick more than one, because that will be pretty unfair (I send you 3 Loreseekers with 3 ObjSecs and you are going to need to focus all army on them to start scoring), but the profiles are not that strong, so the possibilty on putting him some traits or artifacts is not an issue.

I can se clear RAIs in the book, like Sevireth moving in opponent's shooting phase or flat 3 damage in a Windmage's artifact (So I will play them not moving and doing D3 MW), but I can’t see the “named” warscroll there that clearly.

Edited by Ragest

I am thinking about running this. Just for fun I think, but maybe could be alright.

Helon

Teclis

Wind Mage General

Seviroth

Spirit of the Wind

3X5 Hurakan Windchargers

Geminids

Hurakan Battalion with wind chargers, seviroth, and windmage

Would be nice verses certain armies but has a sad day against KO or regular LRL lists

I think the Loreseeker is Unique because although not a named character, Loreseekers are solitary and far ranging so from a narrative perspective there shouldn't be more than one near the same battlefield at any given time. It would be good if they FAQ this just to clear it up for sure so that new players don't keep getting confused about it.

Well, now that the dust is starting to settle and that I've had a couple hours to ponder on the info we have, I cannot overstate how much I love the direction in which they have taken the faction. I cannot wait to field a full vanari army with support from the scinari caste.

A few thoughts, considering a competitive level:

• The Shrine serves as a garrison for a hero, and IIRC, the distances are then measured from the garrison itself instead of from the hero. What would you think about putting the banner guy over there and a unit or two of sentinels outside? The hero himself would go to a 2+ save and would also be -1 to hit, making him a good candidate for Shrine Guardian. You can then give the sentinels a free CA per turn and the bonus bravery. Besides, the guy can pop his banner for mortals and -1 to hit when the enemy closes on the archers I guess. 
  • I also think that RAI you can take an artefact and/or trait with the loreseeker. We'll get a hint when the new units pop in the Azyr app, but I guess we'll need a FAQ and/or errata in that regard to put everyone on the same page about naming of characters. However, he is still a mage and you can pick a spell from the lore of hysh for him. Which one would you pick? I'm thinking that competitively speaking, Lambent Light might be the one to go - you can appear close to the enemy, throw the spell, and then melt something away with sheer firepower.
  •  It feels really weird that the bladelords don't benefit from the sunmetal weapons rule nor Power of Hysh, being vanari and having sunmetal weapons and whatnot. However they'll still benefit from shining company, and they will be stupid good when attacking something that has a garrison - alpha strike KO ships come to mind. I don't know if I'm interpreting it correctly, but a unit of 10 bladelords wholly within 2" of an ironclad with 10 arkanaut inside would produce 110 attacks at 3+/3+/-/1 with flurry of blows, isn't that right? Combined with aetherquartz / CA it can be quite destructive, I guess it is a niche situation but may be worth a try. If that is the intended application of the rule, maybe it's best they don't cause the mortal wounds after all 😅

Overall, and the best thing for the faction (and seeing the animosity in a certain thread, for the health of the LRL discussion going forward), we have so many new options! We can steer away from the infamous Teclis-Syar list for a good while now :)

And that turquoise color scheme in the bladelords is gorgeous. I was having trouble identifying my color scheme, but it's been love at first sight. I could really use some help from a more experienced painter in identifying those colours though - for anyone willing to share their expertise, how would you go about it?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spartan CXVII said:

Probably a stupid question but with the new hurakan battalion, can units choose to pile in just to move 6" even though they are not withing 3" of another unit? 

Possibly? They're treated as if they have charged, which is one of the two different qualifiers for a pile-in.  Depends on the exact wording of the battalion ability.

5 hours ago, Beliman said:

It's a bit strange.
Blue scribes, see edit:

Nop anymore, FAQ's made Blue Scribes a Named Character (see edit 2)!!

Maybe the Description is wrong, or maybe the Pitched Battles Profile is wrong. Or maybe non of them are wrong and they are using the "Unique" mechanic for other units that are not named characters but still GW think that shoudn't be spammed nor cutomized.

EDIT (thx Deinok):

Reveal hidden contents

Tzeentch.jpg.f385bb33cff2a93e6ccdaeb82de46b73.jpg

Tzeentch_Description.jpg.7b7a504b6ce0b57265fcb0c9b801f56a.jpg

Second EDIT, thx @Gargamel196 :

Reveal hidden contents

Tzeentch_Description_02.jpg.dc3f0971c327884f3fbcc3072f62fe1b.jpg

I had a discussion about this on the AoSCoach’s discord, with the rules people over there: and what they told me is that in this case:

- because he is mentioned there as unique you can only have one of them in your army list.

- because his description is lacking the “is a named character” part right now they can take artifacts. But this might change, because they might just have forgotten to add this to the description. 

I accepted this (because while strong he doesn’t seem OP with an artifact) at that time and also mentioned it to Siegried, but thinking about it, the core rules say that named characters can’t take artifacts and unique says only one in the army, so it could very well mean that a Loreseeker can’t take artifacts. 

I’ll send this in an question to the rules team. They could easily amend the core rules or the pitched battle profiles (just add “and can’t take artefacts” or “named character as per core rules page x”), to clarify this. Or don’t mention the “named part” in the profiles section if it only means just one per army. 

• Like 1

I have tried 4 matches vs Mortis Praetorian and Seraphon with Ymetrica and Hurakan, both lost and the others vs Fyreslayers and Kharadron with Illiatha, both lost

I can see potential with Ballistas, Calligrave, Sevireth and Loreseeker is a beast, but the rest... Not very competitive.

As you can see I've played vs top tier armies and I don’t have the mechanics from new units, so don’t take this like immovable true.

Edited by Ragest

26 minutes ago, herohammer said:

But why? They are supposed to be lone agents in the lore it makes no sense for a bunch of them to hang out together.

All good.  I will keep them far separated on the table.  

As to the why- have you seen their warscroll?!

I feel like they’re unique for several reasons. The fluff of course, but also I think having the ability to take a whole bunch of quite strong heroes and chucking them all 3” away from the enemy turn 1, or being able to take all the objectives before the game starts, would be absurd. So I’m totally fine with only being able to take 1. But I do think that they should be able to take relics.