Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

guys, how do you figure the sanctum of amyntok spell interacts with garrison rules? i.e. if I put it up and then hide in the shrine, will the spell be dispelled? or will the defence stack with the garrison buff? i.e. -2 hit  & +2 save ?

1 minute ago, Tiberius501 said:

Garrisons don’t grant a -1 to hit do they? Or do you mean with a unit of 3+ duders within 3” of it?

This is a good question though. 

garrison units get cover and also a neg 1 to hit yes (core rules, but rarely used since not much terrain is possible to garrison, however now if we get something we can place that might change...)

• Thanks 1

I love the shrine!! I must resist!
Being a garrison means that 1 hero will have +1 save and -1 to be hit. With an aura to re-rolls casting, dispelling and unbinding.
That hero can give re-rolls to hit of 1 (basic CA) to Sentinels for free,  and being close to the shrine gives another -1 to be hit for the hero (look out sir). 

That's really strong!

6 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Garrisons don’t grant a -1 to hit do they? Or do you mean with a unit of 3+ duders within 3” of it?

Yes, Garrison gives cover (+1 save) and an extra -1 to be hit, that can be stacked with look out sir (another -1 to be hit). Btw, I don't know if the Sanctum of Amyntok can be stacked (didn't see the full rules), but it seems to be a really crazy combo.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Who would we pick as the hero to sit up there do you guys reckon? 

Goku. If he (or she?) have good movement you can send him/her there and take him/her out when you need.

I think Cathallar and Stonemage will never be there.

Edited by Ragest

Stick a cathallar in the auralan legion there close to the a sentinel unit from the battalion. So with the Sanctum spell (assuming that works) she gets -2 to hit (-3 from shooting with look out sir), 3+ save with rr1. And she hands out all out attack to sentinels

3 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

A garrisoned unit counts as being in cover (so +1 save) and attacks against them are -1 to hit. So it'll definitely make the wizard in question harder to kill.

I think the rules for the Shrine are quite cool, though in thinking it over I'm wondering how the free Command Ability it gives us would best be used. Since it has to be the Shrine Guardian using the CA, it means in most cases it can only be used on a unit wholly within a certain range of the Shrine (12", usually?). So I assume the most common use will be to park a unit of Sentinels next to the Shrine, then use the CA to let them re-roll 1s to hit.

I'm also wondering which wizard would be best to use as a Shrine Guardian - you generally want Cathallars to be moving with your Wardens to ensure they're within range to absorb the aetherquartz debuffs, Stonemages need to be near your Stoneguard/Spirit of the Mountains for their buff synergies, Windmages seem like they'll want to be moving around the battlefield to engage in movement shenanigans, and Loreseekers have thus far been presented as hybrid melee/caster heroes who belong near the front lines. So... Calligraves may end up being the choice, I guess?

Very cool stuff, though, for sure! Interested to hear other peoples' takes on it.

4 minutes ago, l1censetochill said:

A garrisoned unit counts as being in cover (so +1 save) and attacks against them are -1 to hit. So it'll definitely make the wizard in question harder to kill.

I think the rules for the Shrine are quite cool, though in thinking it over I'm wondering how the free Command Ability it gives us would best be used. Since it has to be the Shrine Guardian using the CA, it means in most cases it can only be used on a unit wholly within a certain range of the Shrine (12", usually?). So I assume the most common use will be to park a unit of Sentinels next to the Shrine, then use the CA to let them re-roll 1s to hit.

I'm also wondering which wizard would be best to use as a Shrine Guardian - you generally want Cathallars to be moving with your Wardens to ensure they're within range to absorb the aetherquartz debuffs, Stonemages need to be near your Stoneguard/Spirit of the Mountains for their buff synergies, Windmages seem like they'll want to be moving around the battlefield to engage in movement shenanigans, and Loreseekers have thus far been presented as hybrid melee/caster heroes who belong near the front lines. So... Calligraves may end up being the choice, I guess?

Very cool stuff, though, for sure! Interested to hear other peoples' takes on it.

if the shrine thing can move around though...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, woolf said:

guys, how do you figure the sanctum of amyntok spell interacts with garrison rules? i.e. if I put it up and then hide in the shrine, will the spell be dispelled? or will the defence stack with the garrison buff? i.e. -2 hit  & +2 save ?

I would say that's not possible:
As long as the Sanctum of Amyntok remains on the battlefield, the caster and the Sanctum of Amyntok are treated as being a single model from the caster’s army that uses the caster’s warscroll as well as the Endless Spells rules. It is treated as an enemy model by the opposing player’s army.

As long that the miniature is not on the battelflied, Sanctum warscroll is not treated to be part of the casters warscroll, so the spellcaster will lose all Sanctums abilties.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, woolf said:

Stick a cathallar in the auralan legion there close to the a sentinel unit from the battalion. So with the Sanctum spell (assuming that works) she gets -2 to hit (-3 from shooting with look out sir), 3+ save with rr1. And she hands out all out attack to sentinels

But you are going to miss the ability in your wardens, Cathallar should never be static, you need her behind your troops. The same as Stonemage, giving fresh bracket to cows and rend to stonegurads

21 minutes ago, woolf said:

The garrison rules essentially say that the garrisoned model is treated as being part of the terrain feature, and the Sanctum spell also says that the model and the Sanctum are treated as being a single model. I don't think they'll stack - and even if they did, looking at the pictures, I don't think the Sanctum would fit around the base of the Shrine.

1 minute ago, woolf said:

if the shrine thing can move around though...

I'm almost positive the "floating around the battlefield" line is just a figure of speech - no other terrain feature in the game can move like that, and if it were meant to move I feel certain it'd have an actual round base with set dimensions to allow opponents to properly zone it out and to avoid it overlapping with other terrain. I could be wrong, but I feel like it's gotta be stationary. If it weren't it'd be way, way too good (especially when it costs no points!).

5 minutes ago, l1censetochill said:

The garrison rules essentially say that the garrisoned model is treated as being part of the terrain feature, and the Sanctum spell also says that the model and the Sanctum are treated as being a single model. I don't think they'll stack - and even if they did, looking at the pictures, I don't think the Sanctum would fit around the base of the Shrine.

I'm almost positive the "floating around the battlefield" line is just a figure of speech - no other terrain feature in the game can move like that, and if it were meant to move I feel certain it'd have an actual round base with set dimensions to allow opponents to properly zone it out and to avoid it overlapping with other terrain. I could be wrong, but I feel like it's gotta be stationary. If it weren't it'd be way, way too good (especially when it costs no points!).

Makes sense all, well it was a fun thought at least :D

And I wouldnt mind an FAQ re Garrison and the ES interaction... but I think you are right

Oh shoot, I forgot the sanctum existed. This release makes the lumineth endless spells all the more intriguing. Getting a sanctum to enclose a lore seeker (or banner lord if they are mages) would make the spell even better considering it is a base extension, giving more of a bubble to cast spells from... and making sure our heroes are not sniped out of the gate!

plus, same for the garrison! If I remember right you measure from anywhere on the model itself, so having the reach extend with this would be amazing. Imagine the possibilities, especially if the scroll guy is actually good!