Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

52 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

NPE stands for Negative Play experience - a phenomenon many players are quick to spot in armies other than their own.

For sure! Yesterday had a guy complain all game how eltharion was overpowered.... even as he slaughtered everything else and would have won on objectives! I was for sure feeling that the daughters FNP was a negative play experience 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Wyliekyote said:

Now, HEALING?!?!  Just wow.  Now, How does healing work in AoS?  Am I to read that as: heal wounds on a Hero (ie single model) , or regain models in a troop?  Or only heal at the end of a combat?  But since it's a spell, you can only cast it during the Hero phase yes?  

Healing in AOS only removes wounds from damaged models, it doesn't bring slain models back. There are a few specific spells that do return slain models (for example, the endless spell Emerald Lifeswarm), but Calming Zephyr isn't one of them.

Having played an army with some similar healing options before starting Lumineth (Stormcast), I don't anticipate that this spell will be especially useful - most of the time units in AOS do so much damage that healing D3 wounds is almost meaningless, though I suppose if you're running Avalenor or some other especially tanky hero it could occasionally be worth it.

• Like 1

Hit and run tactics have always been a favorite of mine, and cavalry archers have been a unit type that I've wanted more of in games for that reason.

I'm delighted that the Windrunners are ticking off both boxes!

I'm looking forward to what the spells and other unit abilities for the Hurakan give us by way of utility.

I appreciate the daily rules previews, it's helping keep my enthusiasm up while waiting for the weekend. 

• Like 1

The abilities they mention seems to be taken from the generic Alligiance Abilities - Hurakan section. Battle trait and artefact. And one spell from the new spell lore. The Nation ability would say something like “does x to your Move Like The Wind trait”. 

But, I also increased my plan of buying 1 x Windchargers to 2. : ). The Hurakan seem like real fun. Even if they won’t be the most competitive choice in the end. 

They really bring the lore on the table with the Lumineth. So far they have done an excellent job with that. 

6 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

For sure! Yesterday had a guy complain all game how eltharion was overpowered.... even as he slaughtered everything else and would have won on objectives! I was for sure feeling that the daughters FNP was a negative play experience 😜

A pet peeve of mine. I played in an event when I won 1 game and lost 4, and all 4 of the losses I spent the whole game listening to my opponent list all the reasons my army was bent and impossible to win against.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

The abilities they mention seems to be taken from the generic Alligiance Abilities - Hurakan section. Battle trait and artefact. And one spell from the new spell lore. The Nation ability would say something like “does x to your Move Like The Wind trait”. 

But, I also increased my plan of buying 1 x Windchargers to 2. : ). The Hurakan seem like real fun. Even if they won’t be the most competitive choice in the end. 

They really bring the lore on the table with the Lumineth. So far they have done an excellent job with that. 

I think this is where I am at also. It seems unlikely that mounted archers will break the power scale (see Gryph Chargers, which I also love and yes I know they are only sort of archers).  But they look really great. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I think the same, maybe they put some "sub faction" abilities tied to generic Allegiances to make hurakan fit in Ymetrica.

34 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Does deathly furrows apply to the mount’s attacks too? So each Dawnrider, attacking a unit with 1 wound, is getting 3 Lance attacks and 4 hoof attacks?

Deathly Furrows applies to melee weapons and, since "Dashing Hooves" are melee weapons, the mount's attacks are included.  So you will get 4 hoof attacks when attacking a 1 wound unit.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ragest said:

I think the same, maybe they put some "sub faction" abilities tied to generic Allegiances to make hurakan fit in Ymetrica.

Interesting to see where this will lead and how the rules writers will handle this, for sure.
I still have the naive hope that we will get rules for a Tyrionic Nation (like Helon that was mentioned in this weatherforecast advert) but deep down I know that I am wrong haha. :D

2 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Interesting to see where this will lead and how the rules writers will handle this, for sure.
I still have the naive hope that we will get rules for a Tyrionic Nation (like Helon that was mentioned in this weatherforecast advert) but deep down I know that I am wrong haha. :D

My preferred Nation is Illiatha, so I'm not so affected by this issue.  I'm still interested to see how they deal with this conundrum, though.

12 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Do u really think that they won’t be competitive? Unless the hero is trash or very expensive giving a unit  a 16” flying move + charge + 6” pile in anywhere is ridiculous. Charge a screen and then just jump over to the unit behind or character put down a bridge and trap a unit between Avalenor on a corner and Windchargers on another. Go Syar and now the general that is hated has a 3” go anywhere pile in to escape a taunted enemy. 

windchargers on each corner of a unit then in your turn after pile-ins have stretched the unit use a stone mage to pop their coherency troop. Can do this with a unit alone if your prepared to lose a guy yourself. 

They seem pretty good to me anyway. 

Wonder if they can pile out of combat, move charge pile in 6” and finish further than 3” from enemy, it seems unlikely and extremely situational. 

Edited by Allonairre

36 minutes ago, Allonairre said:

Do u really think that they won’t be competitive? Unless the hero is trash or very expensive giving a unit  a 16” flying move + charge + 6” pile in anywhere is ridiculous. Charge a screen and then just jump over to the unit behind or character put down a bridge and trap a unit between Avalenor on a corner and Windchargers on another. Go Syar and now the general that is hated has a 3” go anywhere pile in to escape a taunted general. 

It's too early to predict how good they'll be without their warscrolls and the full range of their stats and abilities in front of us.

That said, for my part I imagine they'll  be a lot like the Alarith: a useful unit that's really good at its chosen niche that brings more flexibility to the army, with the added caveat that their movement tricks have to potential to be especially powerful.  If they wind up being deadly in shooting/combat or hard to kill, this unit will easily take a top spot in the army.

Either way, we'll know real soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allonairre said:

Do u really think that they won’t be competitive? Unless the hero is trash or very expensive giving a unit  a 16” flying move + charge + 6” pile in anywhere is ridiculous. Charge a screen and then just jump over to the unit behind or character put down a bridge and trap a unit between Avalenor on a corner and Windchargers on another. Go Syar and now the general that is hated has a 3” go anywhere pile in to escape a taunted enemy. 

windchargers on each corner of a unit then in your turn after pile-ins have stretched the unit use a stone mage to pop their coherency troop. Can do this with a unit alone if your prepared to lose a guy yourself. 

Wonder if they can pile out of combat, move charge pile in 6” and finish further than 3” from enemy, it seems unlikely and extremely situational. 

Hurakan would be broken if hurakan units were melee focused, but they are ranged, so their melee is going to be pretty weak, same as salvation characteristic. So that don't worry me. The problem is that they add something like "2+ d3 MW when charging"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allonairre said:

No, I don’t think they are bad - but they might cost 200 points and then they wouldn’t be a competitive option (also very unlikely : ) ). I just meant, even if they weren’t, they still look like fun. 👌

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

A pet peeve of mine. I played in an event when I won 1 game and lost 4, and all 4 of the losses I spent the whole game listening to my opponent list all the reasons my army was bent and impossible to win against.

Which is funny, because that means in the end the Lumineth are a great PPE for your opponent - if they win against such an OP army, it was of course because of their superior skill, and if they lose, well, how could you win against such odds? : ) 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Which is funny, because that means in the end the Lumineth are a great PPE for your opponent - if they win against such an OP army, it was of course because of their superior skill, and if they lose, well, how could you win against such odds? : ) 

This was actually playing with my Tzeentch before the newest book but yeah. They didn't even seem happy when they won. No pleasing the hardcore gamers I guess!

• Haha 1