Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

As was pointed out, the colour of your base coat will have an effect on the later colours.

Check the following tip, starts after 12:00 minute:

Appreciate it. I’m not new to the hobby, but used white with Nighthaunt so was unsure how to do models that are not ghosts. 

2 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

Appreciate it. I’m not new to the hobby, but used white with Nighthaunt so was unsure how to do models that are not ghosts. 

I use around 50% contrast paint, so I use wraithbone, and I feel it looks well! My scheme is pretty much a copy cat of ymetrica though 

15 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

I wanted my colours to all be quite bright so I went with white. But, there is much less room to cheat with a white basecoat and you have to create all the contrast. 

If you have the option mechanicus spray is a pretty good all round choice.

hi guys! has anyone tried to run a cathallar on balewind + sanctum endless spells as a "proxy" for Teclis? figured you could run 2 cathallars, and in Zaitrec for the extra spell. one could also carry silver wand for the extra cast. and potentially pick twin stones as the third ES. should at that point be able to cast protection of hysh with range 15" from the (seemingly?) large base of the sanctum ES it should be quite a workable bubble?

thoughts on this idea?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, woolf said:

hi guys! has anyone tried to run a cathallar on balewind + sanctum endless spells as a "proxy" for Teclis? figured you could run 2 cathallars, and in Zaitrec for the extra spell. one could also carry silver wand for the extra cast. and potentially pick twin stones as the third ES. should at that point be able to cast protection of hysh with range 15" from the (seemingly?) large base of the sanctum ES it should be quite a workable bubble?

thoughts on this idea?

Theoretically that should work, I don’t think there is any rule that prevents these two Endless Spells from stacking. It’s still a big set-up, and might not work out (I had Zaitrec, Teclis and the Twinstones in my game yesterday and still managed to throw the occasional double 1, or 1,2). If you pull it of, it should be a big bubble, but it might feel a bit janky for some people. If your opponents don’t mind, it looks like something fun to try. But might not be worth all the effort on the end. 😅

I might have misunderstood you, but just in case: Zaitrec (besides the other buffs) only lets you know an additional spell, not cast one. With the Balewind though, you could still pull it all off in one phase. 

7 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Theoretically that should work, I don’t think there is any rule that prevents these two Endless Spells from stacking. It’s still a big set-up, and might not work out (I had Zaitrec, Teclis and the Twinstones in my game yesterday and still managed to throw the occasional double 1, or 1,2). If you pull it of, it should be a big bubble, but it might feel a bit janky for some people. If your opponents don’t mind, it looks like something fun to try. But might not be worth all the effort on the end. 😅

I might have misunderstood you, but just in case: Zaitrec (besides the other buffs) only lets you know an additional spell, not cast one. With the Balewind though, you could still pull it all off in one phase. 

yep agree set up is far from certain, ye with the extra zaitrec spell it was more so that on success the cathallar who would then he multicast should have a second lorespell, eg u could give one of them eclipse and the other speed eg in addition to the protection spell. ofc not same flexibility as teclis, but also you save some points..

28 minutes ago, woolf said:

yep agree set up is far from certain, ye with the extra zaitrec spell it was more so that on success the cathallar who would then he multicast should have a second lorespell, eg u could give one of them eclipse and the other speed eg in addition to the protection spell. ofc not same flexibility as teclis, but also you save some points..

I think such things are always worth to try out and see how they work for you. Probably something surprising for your opponent. And it’s if it works out it has this nice “love it when a plan comes together” feeling to it : ) 

As people become more familiar playing against LRL, my original concerns about the faction seem to becoming a reality

- a low level of ability to get out of the deployment zone

- low ability to do focused damage

- very low ability the redeploy or correct general deployment errors

I haven't been able to game recently to test this out for myself but what are people's experiences lately? 

2 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

As people become more familiar playing against LRL, my original concerns about the faction seem to becoming a reality

I haven't been able to game recently to test this out for myself but what are people's experiences lately? 

I think it's better to wait for the new models before we can make a solid statement about it =). They are here soon after all. Right now you are mostly correct. 

2 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

Regarding damage I think we are fine more or less.

Regarding movement and deployment we are at a very bad spot at the moment.. The army as it is, is extremely slow and bad deployment can cost you easily the game. So far I'm at 11 - 11 of wins and losses but many of the battles I lost were due to movement and deployment (or stron anti-magic opponent).

Opponents with lower drops and fast armies just pushed forward, trapped my army almost in my deployment zone and since we lack fast units (except Dawnriders who are situational) and flying units resulting in him scoring early and easily objectives putting me on an uphill battle in vps... I needed a double turn on many of those occations to come back to the game..

Of course all this might change with the new units and the synergies they will bring so we'll have to wait and see.. 🙂 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

Regarding damage I think we are fine more or less.

Regarding movement and deployment we are at a very bad spot at the moment.. The army as it is, is extremely slow and bad deployment can cost you easily the game. So far I'm at 11 - 11 of wins and losses but many of the battles I lost were due to movement and deployment (or stron anti-magic opponent).

Opponents with lower drops and fast armies just pushed forward, trapped my army almost in my deployment zone and since we lack fast units (except Dawnriders who are situational) and flying units resulting in him scoring early and easily objectives putting me on an uphill battle in vps... I needed a double turn on many of those occations to come back to the game..

Of course all this might change with the new units and the synergies they will bring so we'll have to wait and see.. 🙂 

Yeah I often worry about being able to choose an objective and just go get it. Unless treerunners can ignore models for movement, and have decent combat stats I don't see how the new models help. Other than making the army more immobile and adding more shooting power. Which kind of seems like worse KO. 

I've basically autoincluded soulscream bridge in every list now just for a chance to escape my deployment zone. 

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

I think it's better to wait for the new models before we can make a solid statement about it =). They are here soon after all. Right now you are mostly correct. 

It will be interesting to see if Bladelords are more mobile than wardens but if they are 100 points for 5 I worry they won't be able to compete in their ability to hold objectives. But, I'm hopeful. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

Yeah I often worry about being able to choose an objective and just go get it. Unless treerunners can ignore models for movement, and have decent combat stats I don't see how the new models help. Other than making the army more immobile and adding more shooting power. Which kind of seems like worse KO. 

I've basically autoincluded soulscream bridge in every list now just for a chance to escape my deployment zone. 

It will be interesting to see if Bladelords are more mobile than wardens but if they are 100 points for 5 I worry they won't be able to compete in their ability to hold objectives. But, I'm hopeful. 

Indeed. Both Treerunners and Bladelords will walk a fine line regarding their usefulness  in my opinion..

On one hand we have the Treerunners who'll most likely fill the role of fast cavalry.. From even the time of fantasy battles all the way through aos these units tended to be either extremely useless or extremely powerfull (see skyfires), more often than not of the first category.. I'm afraid that they won't have a good role to fill... If their shooting is not that good (their close combat won't be for sure) they'll have no place as a dps unit and without fly or something equivelant will compete with Dawnriders and they may lose, in which case they won't see much play..

The same problem may occure with Bladelords. Unless they give them a movement of 8 or something there is high propability they will be as slow as Wardens or Stoneguard, without the resillience of Stoneguard and since Wardens have great damage output and 3 inches reach combined with the fact that sunmetal works better with weigth of attacks may result in them being also not the best points per damage unit (plus they will be fewer in number or objective grabbing)..

I have more hopes for the Spirit of the Wind which may give us good movement with fly combined with shooting..

Speaking of movement the more I play, the more I come to the conclusion that I don't want to use shinning company. Apart from the being restrictive with how the unit must be formed the fact that you cannot run has in my opinion a crippling effect.. You HAVE to choose to use shinning company before battle so if you do, you deny yourself the choice in the first turn to run  your wardens in order for them to get into position. 6 movement is not good especially if you can't run and you can't rely on speed of hysh to always go off and even then sending a single unit up front of the rest of the army gives your opponent the chance to destroy your army piece meal..

So I find that I'm leaning more and more on Stoneguard who while having only 4 movement can run freely, be in any formation and their abilities can be activated without restriction in formation or having to cast successfuly a spell..

Disclaimer here that I really love the army, I've waited all these years from the day aos was born for the equivelant of High Elves and it'll remain my most favourite and most played army no matter what!! So I'm not aiming to be negative, just giving some feedback on my experience so far with our shinny pointy Aelves!! 🙂

Edited by Siegfried VII
  • Like 3

Hey all, might be a bit superfluous as I already posted these on Reddit and Facebook, so let me know if I’m over-posting!

Anyway, here is my second-unit of wardens, they just had their first game last weekend and did very well, killing a flying-shark-thing and Volturnos!

As always, would love any criticisms and critiques about how I can improve my army colour scheme going forward (more spot colour, different bases,  enter skin etc). 
Thanks!

AFA3E478-4C42-4F9B-832C-F24AC1BE41DE.jpeg.26ba4ddfc36b2d82366d9f485a953b2b.jpeg

56A0F51A-2DE5-4CDD-85B8-EB1F5060E2C8.jpeg

B7DDD52D-4CBA-457B-8134-B60CAB606907.jpeg

Edited by ArchaicArc
  • Like 4

@Siegfried VII 100% I'm in love with LRL the more I read the fluff the more I recognize my HE's, I have a few other armies, but LRL is what I've been waiting for. 

Shining Company is an extremely impactful rule, its just also extremely limiting. Ultimately the game is about getting somewhere else, and most units get most of their movement by charging. I think the first big decision in every match with LRL is deploying your Wardens in Shining Company or not, if you don't you really don't want to go first so you can get your buffs up and generate CP. But not you have given control of the double turn to your opponent. If you go second you are somewhat protected from the double turn, and from alpha strikes but you can't get out of your DZ until turn 2 reliably. I've often wondered about alternative blocks in my army, so if maybe 15 Dawnriders and the main block might be better than 20/30 wardens just for the ability to move around. I'm currently experimenting with Soulscream bridge but that might just be because I like Warden models.

• Like 1

Nope, I’m pretty sure you would have to move them to break shining company, and running is declared when you do a move, I believe. So you could move them, break formation and then charge. But I don’t believe you can go directly from shining company to a run move.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

Being in Shining Company doesn't stop you running; It just means if you run, you are no longer in Shining Company.  You can break Shining Company whenever you want to. At least this is my interpretation of the rule.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

Being in Shining Company doesn't stop you running; It just means if you run, you are no longer in Shining Company.  You can break Shining Company whenever you want to. At least this is my interpretation of the rule.

Nope, read the rule. You cannot run from shining company, and you cannot charge. Meaning you have to preemptively break shining company in the movement phase/deployment if you plan on doing either.

Remember, If you are base to base with 2 others models in a vanari unit, you are in shining company, there is no choice to that. 

You cannot run if a unit starts the turn in shining. Declaring a run with a unit in the movement phase happens when you nominate a unit to move, and since that unit is defacto in shining company until you move it out, you cannot do both at once.

This is what makes shining company so restrictive.

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About the Windchargers, I guess it’s very likely that they are meant to function as a fast castle, taking them plus the Wind Mage plus the Spirit forward together, and they’ll all buff each other. So they’ll be a bit more robust on any object they sit on, but still quite low number, and a lot of points tied up. But likely being able to harass the opponent from there, and not just fold up against 5 Khinerai. Alone, they might not be more than a situational alternative for the Dawnriders. 

I really hope they get the Bladelords right. It’s probably a unit I’ll try to make work no matter what the rules are, but it would be nice if they were actually useful.

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

Does a Lumineth army have to incorporate the big spirits to do well? I don't care for competitive play, but thus far, I don't like what's been shown in that department. I prefer the elf infantry. Here's my color scheme for them (please ignore the unpainted hands and face).

Ev1exKrWQAEtAMf?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by NemesisScar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

@Siegfried VII 100% I'm in love with LRL the more I read the fluff the more I recognize my HE's, I have a few other armies, but LRL is what I've been waiting for. 

Shining Company is an extremely impactful rule, its just also extremely limiting. Ultimately the game is about getting somewhere else, and most units get most of their movement by charging. I think the first big decision in every match with LRL is deploying your Wardens in Shining Company or not, if you don't you really don't want to go first so you can get your buffs up and generate CP. But not you have given control of the double turn to your opponent. If you go second you are somewhat protected from the double turn, and from alpha strikes but you can't get out of your DZ until turn 2 reliably. I've often wondered about alternative blocks in my army, so if maybe 15 Dawnriders and the main block might be better than 20/30 wardens just for the ability to move around. I'm currently experimenting with Soulscream bridge but that might just be because I like Warden models.

I love the Warden models too, but I hate their spears with a passion.. It is extremely annoying for me especially when I try to pile in and it is stressful for my opponents as they try to dance their models around mine trying not to break the spears.. I would prefer shorter spears even if it would make them look a bit less cool..😅

Regarding Dawnriders I have tried running a unit of 10 on most of my battles.. When there is 1 wound infantry in the enemy army they are the fast hammer we all want, but if not they tend to become dead weight.. Still I use them all the time as they are by far my most favourite models of the range as far as units go.. 🙂 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NemesisScar said:

Does a Lumineth army have to incorporate the big spirits to do well? I don't care for competitive play, but thus far, I don't like what's been shown in that department. I prefer the elf infantry. Here's my color scheme for them (please ignore the unpainted hands and face).

Ev1exKrWQAEtAMf?format=jpg&name=large

The temples are not required for Lumineth to be functional.  The upcoming release will add a slew of be Vanari (read: regular) units to the army, giving us more than 3 non-temple troop options, and a bunch of heroes.

The Alarith temple really works best if you take all of the units together due to the built in synergy. It functions very independently from the rest of the Lumineth, so if you don't care for them, you won't be hurting yourself by leaving them out. I presume it will be the same with the Hurakan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Siegfried VII said:

I love the Warden models too, but I hate their spears with a passion.. It is extremely annoying for me especially when I try to pile in and it is stressful for my opponents as they try to dance their models around mine trying not to break the spears.. I would prefer shorter spears even if it would make them look a bit less cool..😅

Regarding Dawnriders I have tried running a unit of 10 on most of my battles.. When there is 1 wound infantry in the enemy army they are the fast hammer we all want, but if not they tend to become dead weight.. Still I use them all the time as they are by far my most favourite models of the range as far as units go.. 🙂 

Let's see, with all the new heroes, and one being specifically for cavalry, the Dawnriders might become a bit more overall useful. I just started building my second 5 (after being scarred of them for 6 months 😅). I also think are one of the most beautiful models in the range. 

@NemesisScar Welcome to TGA : )

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LuminethMage said:

Let's see, with all the new heroes, and one being specifically for cavalry, the Dawnriders might become a bit more overall useful. I just started building my second 5 (after being scarred of them for 6 months 😅). I also think are one of the most beautiful models in the range. 

Terrified though I am to assemble and paint more Dawnriders, I agree that they are one of the finest looking units in the army, and I'm hoping that we get a subfaction that allows us to run an all-cav army should we wish to (might not be practical, but it sure would be fun!)

• Like 1

Alright so I’ve got Myari Lightcaller and Myaris Purifiers built and painted, still need to do the bases as I ran out of Grey Seer. I ordered in Light Of Eltharion so he should be here tomorrow, and I’m going to grab a box of Stoneguard.

next week I’m going to pick up Teclis and order in the endless spells.

There’s still a couple of the army box sets around here, I’m tempted to pick one up as I want the spell cards. I wouldn’t mind the dice too but I have something else in mind for themed dice. However, since I have Eltharion, the value of that box is not there at all. I buy books digitally (unless I need one for a tournament) and I’ve always objected to the ‘limited edition’ battletome being included in the box as it artificially inflated the price of the box (limited battletomes are usually $165nz and $83 for the normal ones. The army box was $350nz). So it’s something I’m still thinking about but I’m not sure it’s really worth it, plus the new book might add new spells too. We currently have Vanari and Alarith mountain spells, wouldn’t be surprised if the hurakan stuff had spells too. For dice, I’ve found a store that still has a bunch of the old 8mm square Eldar dice (they did 1 set for each Aspect Warrior type), I’m looking at the Dire Avengers ones (blue and yellow)

6 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I know what you mean! I have 20 Dawnriders of which I have painted 15 of them (the other 5 I kept/used for conversions) while they were fully assembled (minus the shield) and I still have ptsd  from the ordeal...😅

With the new cavalry I plan to paint the rider and th emount seperately to protect my sanity.. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1