Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

2 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

I dunno if it's a language thing but you could take a little bit off the top regarding your aggression mate

Totally agree. @Feii can I ask you to be mindful of your language now. This isn’t asking you to be nice but it does come across as aggressive. Totally get English may not be your first language, which is why I’m not issuing any points. 

2 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

The problem for me is that these ‘unrealistic’ lists (the ones you’ll never see in person), is that their results are meaningless because you’ll never see them, but also, any games against those lists are also meaningless because wins over the unrealistic lists don’t necessarily mean anything against a real list and artificially alter a factions ‘Winrate’ 

if TTS results were kept separate from actual games then fine, but using the data together isn’t giving an accurate representation of the state of the game.

I disagree with all of that. Any games are meaningful no matter what the list is or the format. Classic example is proxying things to try stuff out and I think many of the classic power lists have come about because of that. I think TTS has just made it easier.

At the end of the day it just depends on if you like playing at a club or at tournaments. 

6 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

if TTS results were kept separate from actual games then fine, but using the data together isn’t giving an accurate representation of the state of the game.

Agreed! I believe that TTS results should be recorded separately.. It will also be a nice comparing point to see what the game would look in video game format..

Edited by Siegfried VII
  • Like 1

Buying 8 boxes of Sentinels is perfectly cool and normal.

I've played nothing but Vanari thus far. Thought I'd jump into the deep end of the Alarith pool with a double Temple list:

Allegiance: Lumineth Realm Lords
- Great Nation: Ymetrica

Leaders
Petrifion of the Tol Shalai (130)
Alarith Stonemage
- General
- Command Trait: Enduring  
- Artefact: Mountain's Gift  
- Lore of the High Peaks: Crippling Vertigo
Avalenor, the Stoneheart King (360)
Shael'haas of the Sedimentari (130)
Alarith Stonemage
- Artefact: Ebony Stone  
- Lore of the High Peaks: Voice of the Mountain
The Light of Eltharion (220)

Battleline
Stoneguard of Tol Shalai (300)
15 x Alarith Stoneguard
- Diamondpick Hammers
Sedimentari Stoneguard (100)
5 x Alarith Stoneguard
- Diamondpick Hammers
5 x Alarith Stoneguard
- Diamondpick Hammers

Behemoths
Alarith Spirit of the Mountain (340)

Battalions
Alarith Temple (120)
Alarith Temple (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

I'll mostly be facing Khorne and Nurgle and occasionally Stormcast. I honestly have no idea what to expect. However this is a 3 drop list with 3 extra command points. A lack of Sentinels is...fine but I ultimately decided Eltharion's command ability was too important for this list. To compensate for the lack of shooting and speed, I brought along a Prismatic Palisade for fun. C&C welcome!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Pyrescribe said:

Buying 8 boxes of Sentinels is perfectly cool and normal.

I've played nothing but Vanari thus far. Thought I'd jump into the deep end of the Alarith pool with a double Temple list:

Leaders
Petrifion of the Tol Shalai (130)
Alarith Stonemage
- General
- Command Trait: Enduring  
- Lore of the High Peaks: Crippling Vertigo
Shael'haas of the Sedimentari (130)
Alarith Stonemage
- Artefact: Ebony Stone  
The Light of Eltharion (220)

Battleline
Stoneguard of Tol Shalai (300)
15 x Alarith Stoneguard
- Diamondpick Hammers
5 x Alarith Stoneguard
- Diamondpick Hammers
5 x Alarith Stoneguard
- Diamondpick Hammers

Behemoths

Battalions
Alarith Temple (120)
Alarith Temple (120)

Prismatic Palisade (30)
Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 93

I'll mostly be facing Khorne and Nurgle and occasionally Stormcast. I honestly have no idea what to expect. However this is a 3 drop list with 3 extra command points. A lack of Sentinels is...fine but I ultimately decided Eltharion's command ability was too important for this list. To compensate for the lack of shooting and speed, I brought along a Prismatic Palisade for fun. C&C welcome!

It's a nice looking list.  Can you let us know how it pans out?

Just one quibble.  For Stoneguard to be battleline, you have to be from Ymetrica and unfortunately, this means you can't take the Enduring Command Trait - you are required to take Almighty Blow from the Ymetrica Great Nation rules.  It's one reason why I like Illiatha; There is no specified Command Trait, so you can pick from the lists.

Edited by Aelfric
  • Like 1

My two current lists.

The one that I allways use in competitive matches

- Great Nation: Zaitrec

Leaders
Scinari Cathallar (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Fast Learner
- Artefact: Silver Wand
- Lore of Hysh: Total Eclipse
- Extra Spell: Protection of Hysh
Alarith Stonemage (130)
- Artefact: Gift of Celennar
- Extra Spell: Unyielding Calm

Battleline
20 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (240)
- Lore of Hysh: Lambent Light
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120)
- Lore of Hysh: Solar Flare
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (140)
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing
- Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh

Units
10 x Alarith Stoneguard (200)
- Stone Mallets
- Stone Mallets

Battalions
Alarith Temple (120)
Auralan Legion (120)

Hyshian Twinstones (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 114

The one that I'm trying now

Leaders
Alarith Stonemage (130)
- General
- Command Trait: Almighty Blow
Alarith Stonemage (130)
- Artefact: Hearthstone Amulet
- Lore of the High Peaks: Unyielding Calm

Battleline
- Diamondpick Hammers
- Stone Mallets
- Diamondpick Hammers
- Stone Mallets

Behemoths

Battalions
Alarith Temple (120)
Alarith Temple (120)

Wounds: 116

Edited by Ragest
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ragest said:

My two current lists.

The one that I allways use in competitive matches

Hide contents

- Great Nation: Zaitrec

Leaders
Scinari Cathallar (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Fast Learner
- Artefact: Silver Wand
- Lore of Hysh: Total Eclipse
- Extra Spell: Protection of Hysh
Alarith Stonemage (130)
- Artefact: Gift of Celennar
- Extra Spell: Unyielding Calm

Battleline
20 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (240)
- Lore of Hysh: Lambent Light
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120)
- Lore of Hysh: Solar Flare
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing
- Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh

Units
- Stone Mallets
- Stone Mallets

Battalions
Alarith Temple (120)
Auralan Legion (120)

Hyshian Twinstones (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Wounds: 114

The one that I'm trying now

Hide contents

Leaders
Alarith Stonemage (130)
- General
- Command Trait: Almighty Blow
Alarith Stonemage (130)
- Artefact: Hearthstone Amulet
- Lore of the High Peaks: Unyielding Calm

Battleline
- Diamondpick Hammers
- Stone Mallets
- Diamondpick Hammers
- Stone Mallets

Behemoths

Battalions
Alarith Temple (120)
Alarith Temple (120)

Wounds: 116

I like these lists a lot. I have question about double battalions. Is it crucial without teclis to go first everytime and get protection of hysh up? especially in the ymmetrica build? is it about drops? or something else.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

I love the stonemage, but hate the cathallar model XD. Really wish I could just use a stonemage as a "counts as" cathallar.

Do you like the Mistweaver model? That’s a good stand in, even without any conversions. And with a few small ones, you can make her easily look almost 100% like a Lumineth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LuminethMage said:

Do you like the Mistweaver model? That’s a good stand in, even without any conversions. And with a few small ones, you can make her easily look almost 100% like a Lumineth. 

Surprisingly enough, that is exactly the model I am currently planning to convert as soon as I have spare time. I had one built for ages with the top of the staff missing, so I am now stripping off the arms and head and using spare Lumineth parts. I'm super happy the Cathallar doesn't have an actual weapon load-out, so WYSIWYG works :).

I know I want to build a wind temple-themed army, so trying to avoid stone temple until I know more about the ruleset. I'm self-employed and living off 200$/month (creating content on Youtube & writing full time), so I don't have the financial freedom (yet) to spend money on models simply because I like the look of them. I just love that Stonemage model, lol.

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

Surprisingly enough, that is exactly the model I am currently planning to convert as soon as I have spare time. I had one built for ages with the top of the staff missing, so I am now stripping off the arms and head and using spare Lumineth parts. I'm super happy the Cathallar doesn't have an actual weapon load-out, so WYSIWYG works :).

I know I want to build a wind temple-themed army, so trying to avoid stone temple until I know more about the ruleset. I'm self-employed and living off 200$/month (creating content on Youtube & writing full time), so I don't have the financial freedom (yet) to spend money on models simply because I like the look of them. I just love that Stonemage model, lol.

You can use the model without conversion at all in my opinion.

Also, just so you know the Cathallar model looks significantly better in person than it does through pictures (particularly the GW pictures).  I am not sure why this is, but its kinda crazy how much better it looks not online.  The 360 view is better than the static picture, but doesn't do it justice.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Austin said:

You can use the model without conversion at all in my opinion.

Also, just so you know the Cathallar model looks significantly better in person than it does through pictures (particularly the GW pictures).  I am not sure why this is, but its kinda crazy how much better it looks not online.  The 360 view is better than the static picture, but doesn't do it justice.

I see! =] I was afraid it may get a bit problematic since the stonemage looks much bigger to me. I was considering doing some head swap or reducing the height a bit, but that awesome gorinto would go to waste XD.

The cathallar just looks out of proportion to me, unlike the other elves in lumineth. Like the hand at the front is almost half the size of the head, lol.

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

I see, perfect. It’s what I did too, as my second Cathallar. And yeah, you can just use the model without any conversions at all.

I did a few very minor ones with spare parts from Wardens (changed sword arm, slapped a small half moon at the bottom of the staff and added a few tassels). 

It’s a really good looking model as Austin said, great that you already have it. 

Hopefully you find the freedom at some point to get a Stonemage : ), even if it’s just for fun. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LuminethMage said:

I see, perfect. It’s what I did too, as my second Cathallar. And yeah, you can just use the model without any conversions at all.

I did a few very minor ones with spare parts from Wardens (changed sword arm, slapped a small half moon at the bottom of the staff and added a few tassels). 

It’s a really good looking model as Austin said, great that you already have it. 

Hopefully you find the freedom at some point to get a Stonemage : ), even if it’s just for fun. 

Indeed! =] I plan to add some sentinel bits/shoulder pads, etc. I have quite a lot of idoneth bits, so I may find some stuff among there as well. Wish I had a helmless elven maiden head somewhere, I think it would look amazing on this model.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

And it's only for one round right?

It’s only for one phase : ) (if you use both at the same time). But it’s mainly there so you don’t get killed before you can cast your 5+ Ward (and other spells). Afterwards it’s a bit harder to kill Teclis, because you can also make him Ethereal and have your 5+ Ward. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:21 PM, Kugane said:

I love the stonemage, but hate the cathallar model XD. Really wish I could just use a stonemage as a "counts as" cathallar.

I thin I've posted this elsewhere and maybe here too... but I too have mixed feelings about the Cathallar model.  I made a stand in (since she wasn't avail yet) out of a Tidecaster, Witch,  water elemental, and a spear from somewhere...  I still >might< get the actual model.  But until then this is my stand in.

IMG_1436.jpeg

• Like 2

Some lore questions for y'all (let me know if this was covered in the battletome and I'm just a careless reader)

- Do all Great Nations follow a monarchical system of government? 

- How does one become a Cathalar? Is it a role you are raised to assume or do just powerful mages choose to become one? Also, reading over the organization of Teclis' vanguard, it appears Cathalar's lead the Vanari Legions, is this true?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Not much is covered in depth in the Battletome.

Government:
Concerning the Monarchies: We don't know. There is a mention of Matriarchs in Iliatha - for the other Teclican Nations we are left almost clueless. One could argue however that some could be a Magocracy, ruled by an elite of Mages. In fact I just found a mention of Syar being a Magocracy on page 30 in the short story about the missing envoy to Ulgu. There is also the mention of a capital of the Nation of Syar called Ar-Ennascaths where they hold a competition in crafting objects.

About the Cathallars: Almost nothing specific is known. There is the Info that it is an Order of some sort. They tend to not wear gloves or shoes to better connect with the Realm. Their demeanour is measured and slow and they dont want to give in to sudden emotions.

I am not sure about the Cathallars leading the Troops but it is mentioned somewhere - I just can't find it at the moment it is basicly 1 sentence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoonKing98 said:

Some lore questions for y'all (let me know if this was covered in the battletome and I'm just a careless reader)

- Do all Great Nations follow a monarchical system of government? 

- How does one become a Cathalar? Is it a role you are raised to assume or do just powerful mages choose to become one? Also, reading over the organization of Teclis' vanguard, it appears Cathalar's lead the Vanari Legions, is this true?

Thanks!

I find the Battletome rather scant on detail of why things are; it gives a cursory overview without going into a great deal of substance.  As @Aloth_Corfiser says we know precious little about how the 4 nations we have any information about are governed. 

The Cathallars are shown heading the Auralan Legions on page 20, but no real indication that they are in command.  They are currently the only non-Temple hero, so possibly there by default.  We have more heroes on the way that feel like they may be more military commander material.  The Cathallars feel, to me, more like they fill the role akin to doctors attached to regiments.  I can't find anything that specifically refers to them in a commanding role.

I think we're going to have to rely on future novels to glean more in-depth information on Lumineth society.  It is partly what they're there for, after all.

On another note, I've just ordered a second box of Sentinels, amongst others, and am unsure whether to add them to my 1st unit to make 20 or to have them as 2 units of 10.  So, I would be grateful to hear people's preferences on Sentinel unit size from a game perspective.  One alternative is to make them all archers and kitbash a leader, but haven't come up with a possible starting model on that one yet. All ideas welcome, thanks.

• Like 2