Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Also to quote a little from my experiences in friendly games playing with a shooty Wanderer Army back in 2018 / 2019 early 2020:

Squishy Aelves are just squishy Aelves. Even with the Spells the Lumineth have, Bravery will be a problem. Granted there is the Cathallar who is really strong - however Lumineth have lower Bravery than Wanderers overall. (It is one of my favorite Trivia Points that Wanderers are so brave. :)
Anyway what I also wnated to say is:

I have lost many Aelves to Endless Spells too: The Ossiarch Carrion Bird Spell is a pain and can be placed anywhere (!) on the Battlefield and can move 16". The Warplightning Vortex is also detrimental to anything really. Then there are the other ranged options, from the Armies I have played against most often (Skryre Skaven and Bonereapers) like overcharged Warplightning cannons or of course the Crawler.

Overall I am not to worried about the Sentinels. Our opponents will find remedies in hard hitting fast Units, forced Bravery tests, their own long range, etc.
However I can see the problem of it being a negative Play experience.
As a matter of fact: I  am both excited and a bit worried about the Ballista we are getting. It has been one of my biggest wishes to have a Lumineth Siege weapon and a Bannerbearer Hero! What a time to be alive. 😁

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Nullius said:

All you need is for somebody to cast the reroll hits spell (or, marker lights as I call it), followed by hitting a casting roll of six with the option to buff it with allegiance  abilities and aetherquartz. Worse still, the marker lights spell marks the target for ALL of your shooting units and has an 18 inch range. You can give it to you Calvary units, use a bonus to cast, and the annihilate anything from Archaeon to skink priests. Look out sir does nothing. Concealing terrain does nothing. Debuffs to hit do nothing. Your units are removed more or less automatically on a double turn with no interaction.

A) Thats the total dmg for the 280 pt unit, it just feels bad because its mw dmg but its not egregious.

B) Archaon makes you rr 6s to hit, ignores spells on a 4+ and has a 4+ against mw, and skink priests are 70 pts. The in-game effectiveness of shooting has been vastly overstated, unless you go 60-80 deep and one drop. Which comes with its own weaknesses.

C) Lambent light is a 18" spell against a single enemy unit, meaning you aren't very likely to snip heroes (or the hero you want to snipe) early game with it. Unless you invest in spell portal aswell.

• Thanks 1

This was a good article. 🙂
I now finally understand that these Element-Spirits are a quirk of Hysh. Before I thought: "Well if Lumineth can bond with their Realm in a unique way, why can't any other race do that in another realm?"
Maybe it is a bit of both: Hysh's inherent nature of introspection, knowledge, intellect, etc. paired with the Aelven ability to obsess about a field of knowledge and the Lumineth' strive for forgiveness. 

Grasping at straws through Quotes and making silly speculations:

"In the case of a river aelementor, this would involve experiencing both the bite of ice floes and the surging power of floods."
Could this mean Ice Themed Elementals or Lumineth River Warriors who can use Ice? Awesome! :D

"Those supplicants deemed unworthy would simply drown." 
I can already see undead Aelementor Aspirants in the Vampire-Pirate Faction in 4 Years.

Very very cool article indeed!

I really like the reveal that, like the mountains, you can either do a Named or Unnamed Spirit.  This is a very cool theme, and look forward to the other Spirits!

Not sure which version of the Hurakan I'd want to build by the looks of them, but how am I going to paint his arrow tip to look like THAT!  :D  

And then, one day, we shall all be blown away by a Zenith Spirit.... in what... 4 years?!?! :P 

26 minutes ago, Jeremierty said:

Am I the only one puzzled by the fact that this mini doesn't seem to have its head attached to its body ?? 

The head seems to be around the banner but there is nothing above where the neck is supposed to be ?

img_5841.png

I think that's just the magic of lens flares my friend.

13 minutes ago, NotAWzrd said:

They probably added the lens flare in post to obscure the model more. You can see there’s some outlining just below the middle of the fan/plume that doesn’t quite make sense.

I think this is what's going on. You can see it in several of the other silhouettes they previewed.

1254980255_ScreenShot2021-01-23at23_49_30.png.795173825fb1ca06ad83b0a8cd58e59b.png.7fec548251b4c28179c0e53caca16ea7.png

mage.png.91571951c87355ceb66a5059b52432a5.png.ca06f3bef1e20138a586e3126e8da555.png

It's harder to tell with this particular shot, but if you look back at the trailer you can make out the border of his cape which is swooping like Eltharions, but somehow gets lost in a sea of lens flare.

I'm new to Lumineth. How do you guys think this list would fare? I know its short on bodies but it seems like it might be fun.

Moo ******, Get Outta The Way
Lumineth Realm Lords
- Great Nation: Ymetrica
LEADERS
Avalenor, the Stoneheart King (360) 
Alarith Stonemage (130)                        Alarith Stonemage (130) 
UNITS
15 x Alarith Stoneguard (300)
- Stone Mallets
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (280) 
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120) 
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (130) BATTALIONS                                                Alarith Temple (120) 
ENDLESS SPELLS
 Soulscream Bridge (100)

2 hours ago, Adammck66 said:

Has that Fox spirit got a spare bow attached to the back of his waist?

It isn't another bow, it's a waist attachment similar to the one on the Scinari Cathallar. The ribbons that form part of the air swirl are connected to it.

Edited by OkayestDM

1 hour ago, SilverJelly said:

I'm new to Lumineth. How do you guys think this list would fare? I know its short on bodies but it seems like it might be fun.

Moo ******, Get Outta The Way
Lumineth Realm Lords
- Great Nation: Ymetrica
LEADERS
Avalenor, the Stoneheart King (360) 
Alarith Stonemage (130)                        Alarith Stonemage (130) 
UNITS
15 x Alarith Stoneguard (300)
- Stone Mallets
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (120) 
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (130) BATTALIONS                                                Alarith Temple (120) 
ENDLESS SPELLS
 Soulscream Bridge (100)

Should be ok. If you don’t rely too much on the Soulbridge move or have an alternative plan if that doesn’t happen. : )

No Cathallar could mean bad things for your Vanari 😅

On 1/25/2021 at 1:27 PM, LuminethMage said:

I found it ok/good. It does have a bit of lore around the Alarith, mainly though how they think (the protagonist is an aspiring Stoneguard with two Stoneguard sensei), less so about the organization of the temples, although there is a little bit of it in there. What I liked most about the novel is that the author basically takes the pictures of the Wardens from the 4 different GN in the BT, makes a character out of each, and introduces the 4 distinct cultures through those characters. The novel also has a proper villainous villain. There is also a pretty interesting encounter with an Endless Spell, and so on. 

The storyline isn't very surprising, and like many other BL novels, the author does like to show how introspective their main character is, but I found it an easy fun read all in all. 

I have been on the fence about the book for a while.  It does not have very good reviews on Goodreads or Amazon, but I want it to have been good.

19 minutes ago, Austin said:

I have been on the fence about the book for a while.  It does not have very good reviews on Goodreads or Amazon, but I want it to have been good.

I just checked, around 3.4 on Goodreads, that seems fair, and similar to what many of the AoS BL books receive. I found it ok for what it is, the background lore, and especially his idea to use the characters to show the different Lumineth cultures, I liked that part. The story as such isn't really much to write or think about.

I wouldn't mind at all if the End of Enlightenment is better : )

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

I just checked, around 3.4 on Goodreads, that seems fair, and similar to what many of the AoS BL books receive. I found it ok for what it is, the background lore, and especially his idea to use the characters to show the different Lumineth cultures, I liked that part. The story as such isn't really much to write or think about.

I wouldn't mind at all if the End of Enlightenment is better : )

Strachan is pretty decent in my experience.

Yeah 3.4 isn't terrible, and I think about the same on Amazon?  I suppose I usually look for 4 stars as a good mark, for some reason I equate that with having evened-out the 1 star haters and the 5 star cheerleaders and produced a good overall rating.  Haha, didn't expect my philosophy of book reviews would become relevant today!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Austin said:

Strachan is pretty decent in my experience.

Yeah 3.4 isn't terrible, and I think about the same on Amazon?  I suppose I usually look for 4 stars as a good mark, for some reason I equate that with having evened-out the 1 star haters and the 5 star cheerleaders and produced a good overall rating.  Haha, didn't expect my philosophy of book reviews would become relevant today!

Good to hear! And that seems like a good strategy. For me probably 3. something is still ok for a Lumineth book, but otherwise a nice solid 4 seems like a good marker. 

How good are sentinels? I’m starting my army with the intention of focusing on Hurakan. I’m getting Alarith stuff too but overall I dislike the spearman due to how flimsy the spears are and Blademasters for the win. I’d like to have a sword and bow heavy army eventually however I’ve got two sets of stoneguard on the way as I like the hammers.

sorry I’m just so excited and I’ve got no clue about how the army is as my focus is painting and thanks to Covid I haven’t even been able to play at all yet. Loving painting though.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

How good are sentinels? I’m starting my army with the intention of focusing on Hurakan. I’m getting Alarith stuff too but overall I dislike the spearman due to how flimsy the spears are and Blademasters for the win. I’d like to have a sword and bow heavy army eventually however I’ve got two sets of stoneguard on the way as I like the hammers.

sorry I’m just so excited and I’ve got no clue about how the army is as my focus is painting and thanks to Covid I haven’t even been able to play at all yet. Loving painting though.

General consensus is the Sentinels are probably the best unit in the current Battletome - assuming you get off Power of Hysh a unit of 20 is going to put out ~6 mortal wounds with 30" range every shooting phase, making it really easy to pick off strategic targets if you take 2-3 of them. A lot of armies (particularly those that rely on heroes to buff their units) will struggle to deal with that.

I don't think they're as broken as people sometimes claim, but in the future for friendly games I'll probably max out at 20-30 Sentinels per list to avoid being "that guy". If you're gearing up for a tournament, though, I'd definitely expect to see 50-60 Sentinel lists just deleting stuff off the table every turn (unless the Hurakan archers turn out to be even better, in which case I assume they'll become the new flavor of the week).

• Like 1