Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

So with the new Vanari and Wind temple releases inbound filling out the army a lot and making it one of the bigger army selections, what’s the likelyhood of all this happening again next year with another temple etc? I want to invest in Lumineth especially with the new release and I think it’s highly likely the new additions will be given rules in BR: Teclis and then towards the later half of the year a battletome. However I am reluctant to invest in books only to be outdated within a year or so, I’m also reluctant to believe that they will keep doing yearly releases due to them not doing this with previous new armies. 

im not sure what to think :/

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Unfortunately the ramp up on book required to play is a consistent GW trend.

I think  continuous rules updates, narrative campaign releases, an evolving storyline, and expanding model ranges are a good reason to buy books, and probably a good way for GW to continue to generate revenue as well. It's not as if every book is a must-buy for each player, either, given that each one has rules for a small number of factions each.

Realistically, each group of players needs to buy each campaign book one time, and this being 2021, if you don't buy it you'll still find any rules you care about in... various ways.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Unfortunately the ramp up on book required to play is a consistent GW trend.

Required may be overstating it, depending on what kind of player you are. The warscrolls get published as PDFs, the points and "battleline if x as general" via Warscroll Builder.

If you don't pick up the new book you are probably missing out on Hurakan traits/artefacts, maybe a new spell lore, in terms of generic Lumineth rules. The rest is likely story and campaign rules.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Lavieth said:

I do think you are right in that we are referencing different books. I'm referring to the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th edition army books from WFB, the End Times, as well as the various novels and short stories.  Not exclusively limiting my understanding of Tyrion to the little references in the Lumineth Battletome. :)

He has no problem stepping up when he needs to as his history has shown. He did not get the title "Defender of Ulthuan" because he was afraid of taking center stage. He has  always been a duty bound hero whose interets were always the protection of his race and his home.  That much has carried forward from WFB to AoS, which we do get to read about in the Lumineth Battletome. Fate, sadly, is always what brings him to the fields of battle.  It has never been to demonstrate his superior martial capabilities or in conquest/war. 

The funny thing is he generally comes along with his brother because Teclis has made a mistake in some way or is unable to accomplish his task alone. Plus Tyrion has never seen it as playing second fiddle, just being his brother. 

Why do you think people want him right now? Either way, if he comes with this release or later I will be excited. 

One thing that does have me considerably interested is the soul of Aenarion showing up in AoS and the twin gods of Hysh. 

Eh the lore, and books like the Tyrion and Teclis novels make it very clear that Tyrion is an arrogant glory hound (he even had ambitions of becoming the new phoenix king after Finubar) so not quite sure what novels you are refering to 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 1/20/2021 at 9:19 PM, Jeremierty said:

I don't recall that there is a mention about 2 bows or 4 arms in the battletome ! (But I have a french translation) could you point out to me where it is said it has 4 arms ??  

yeah that's my bad, i thought he had multiple arms but it turns out that's certainly not true, oh well :s

8 hours ago, Lavieth said:

It is quite possible that the wind temple resides in Oultrai, the re-imagined swordmasters are from Aurathrai, and so on

Its worth mentioning that the Aelemental temples are found in all the realms, not just tied to one. So there are Mountain, river, wind and zenith temples in the Tyrionic and Teclian Nations.

You might also find it interesting that the lore blurbs we have in the battletome mentioning a wind temple places one in the Zorostramaran Desert in Ziatrec.

Additionally, the named Wind spirit from the preview is called Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh wind. The battletome describes Aelfs who pay homage to the "Seven Winds of the Sariour Plateau" which is actually in Ymetrica. It makes sense since the named wind spirit is painted in the GW studio army scheme, and the studio scheme is for Ymetrica. 

++++

Its actually interesting if Sevierth is from Ymetrica, he would have the Ymetrica keyword, which currently does nothing but help Alarith. It might mean we will get a change to Ymetrica great nation abilities to benefit all Aelementiri, or we get an alternate Ymetrica allegiance focused on Wind temple. 

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

Its worth mentioning that the Aelemental temples are found in all the realms, not just tied to one. So there are Mountain, river, wind and zenith temples in the Tyrionic and Teclian Nations.

You might also find it interesting that the lore blurbs we have in the battletome mentioning a wind temple places one in the Zorostramaran Desert in Ziatrec.

Additionally, the named Wind spirit from the preview is called Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh wind. The battletome describes Aelfs who pay homage to the "Seven Winds of the Sariour Plateau" which is actually in Ymetrica. It makes sense since the named wind spirit is painted in the GW studio army scheme, and the studio scheme is for Ymetrica. 

++++

Its actually interesting if Sevierth is from Ymetrica, he would have the Ymetrica keyword, which currently does nothing but help Alarith. It might mean we will get a change to Ymetrica great nation abilities to benefit all Aelementiri, or we get an alternate Ymetrica allegiance focused on Wind temple. 

Do you think we will get an alt build for it like the big bow mountain?

6 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

Do you think we will get an alt build for it like the big bow mountain?

We know we will, it was in the trailer. The one featured in the preview is the named character like Avelanor, in the trailer we see the alternate build generic version. 

Lumineth_Reveal07.png

Edited by Athrawes
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

So with the new Vanari and Wind temple releases inbound filling out the army a lot and making it one of the bigger army selections, what’s the likelyhood of all this happening again next year with another temple etc? I want to invest in Lumineth especially with the new release and I think it’s highly likely the new additions will be given rules in BR: Teclis and then towards the later half of the year a battletome. However I am reluctant to invest in books only to be outdated within a year or so, I’m also reluctant to believe that they will keep doing yearly releases due to them not doing this with previous new armies. 

The way I see it, if you like what you see right now, go for it. As of now, nothing in the Battletome is outdated because of what’s going to happen in BR Teclis. If you like the Alarith or the Wind Temple you can still play them without issues even if we’d get a new temple again next year. The current Battletome becomes better because of BR Teclis. 

The books have value as such, the art, lore and so on, the rules are just a part of them, and most of the rules you can easily get somewhere else anyway. If you buy the Battletome and the new Teclis book, enjoy the story, paint the models and play with them, you have lost nothing even if they release another book next year. If you are concerned about the book price, how about buying a digital version, that’s relatively inexpensive.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

I agree with @LuminethMage.  I think the main point is to differentiate between Faction and Battletome.  The Faction, together with its models, is here to stay within the game for many years to come.  Battletomes will come and go, providing changes and updates to the way the Faction plays.  

No faction, especially in the new era, will go more than 2-3 years without a Battletome change and twice yearly erratas bring other changes, but the faction itself will continue to exist.

It's part of the cycle of the hobby.  Personally, I prefer the slightly faster cycle in AOS than was in WHFB.  Once all the current range is out, the cycle will settle down into a standard rhythm.

So... with the newest (awesome) preview, what is the usual timeframe from Preview to Purchase? 

@SirSalabean, And as @Aelfric and @LuminethMage say, books are part of the price of admission.  You don't have to buy all the models (right?!  you don't HAVE to, but ... c'mon we all do;P) but the books..?  Most of the info is avail free, but going digital might be a bit more budget friendly.  The LRL book is what, $40, but $17 digital (via the Azyr App, its still $35 on Warhammer digital :/)....  So maybe go digital on both?  I'm considering getting the digital copy of the new BR:Teclis book, and save up for the models. However, I really do enjoy the books feel, the art, the maps, as LuminethMage says.

Edited by Wyliekyote
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wyliekyote said:

So... with the newest (awesome) preview, what is the usual timeframe from Preview to Purchase? 

@SirSalabean, And as @Aelfric and @LuminethMage say, books are part of the price of admission.  You don't have to buy all the models (right?!  you don't HAVE to, but ... c'mon we all do;P) but the books..?  Most of the info is avail free, but going digital might be a bit more budget friendly.  The LRL book is what, $40, but $17 digital (via the Azyr App, its still $35 on Warhammer digital :/)....  So maybe go digital on both?  I'm considering getting the digital copy of the new BR:Teclis book, and save up for the models. However, I really do enjoy the books feel, the art, the maps, as LuminethMage says.

I wish there was a common time frame but GW kinda just do what they want when they want. So, could be next month, could be July, could be early next year. I assume though that, because they haven’t properly shown off all the models, we’re gonna have a little bit of waiting to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were waiting until at least March to even see full reveals of all the models. But I’d hope we’d get to see them in February. 

I think right now they are planing for a release in March. Because that's when the accompanying novel is scheduled to become available. At the first release of the LRL GW did the same thing with a tie-in novel published at the same time. As we have some returnees who might have missed it, this is what the novel will be about: 

DEmeLCzXt2uKXZqt.jpg.870597a3a7c6a916e5d524b8fb945d14.jpg

547148482_ScreenShot2021-01-25at10_21_59.png.472709727121d13fc3b99fa348e194ec.png

Now the novel at first was scheduled to be released in February, but they recently changed it to March. So that's something to watch. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, HanShot First said:

Hopefully this book will be better than the last one. 

I haven't read it.  Is it actually worth reading?  Does it have redeeming features such as about the lore in terms of society or the Temples, or even the flora and fauna?  

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

I haven't read it.  Is it actually worth reading?  Does it have redeeming features such as about the lore in terms of society or the Temples, or even the flora and fauna?  

I found it ok/good. It does have a bit of lore around the Alarith, mainly though how they think (the protagonist is an aspiring Stoneguard with two Stoneguard sensei), less so about the organization of the temples, although there is a little bit of it in there. What I liked most about the novel is that the author basically takes the pictures of the Wardens from the 4 different GN in the BT, makes a character out of each, and introduces the 4 distinct cultures through those characters. The novel also has a proper villainous villain. There is also a pretty interesting encounter with an Endless Spell, and so on. 

The storyline isn't very surprising, and like many other BL novels, the author does like to show how introspective their main character is, but I found it an easy fun read all in all. 

• Thanks 1