Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

So, some people in my local group have talked about the resemblance between the teaser (wind+wheat) from the other day:

IMG_20210120_081654.jpg.4cd6f640f41a5c587cbe21c70b747481.jpg

With what can be seen behind the cavalry in the video (bottom left, seemingly spiralling towards the top):

IMG-20210119-WA0026.jpg.f922da8cb7cc7426d021d1017c0f895b.jpg

They also talked about banner symbolism: Alarith have the cow in one banner, and there's the Alarith spirit, the new cavalry have the fox in one banner, and it seems we're going to see the fox-faced spirit of the wind. Dawnriders have a dragon/phoenix in one of their banners...

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Khaedhras said:

So, some people in my local group have talked about the resemblance between the teaser (wind+wheat) from the other day:

With what can be seen behind the cavalry in the video (bottom left, seemingly spiralling towards the top):

They also talked about banner symbolism: Alarith have the cow in one banner, and there's the Alarith spirit, the new cavalry have the fox in one banner, and it seems we're going to see the fox-faced spirit of the wind. Dawnriders have a dragon/phoenix in one of their banners...

Thoughts?

Seems very reasonable, especially since the wind spirit mentioned in the battle tome was described as fox faced. However, I dont think we will get a dragon/phoenix just yet. 

It's 99.99% the Wind Spirit. Even the spiral is mentioned in the Battletome, and the blurred picture does also seem to fit. And we know now that the other two units mentioned for the Wind Temple are part of this release (the treerunners and cloud mages).

If we get any additional units besides this and the Auralan Lord (and maybe accompanying cavalry unit), I think the highest chance are Blademasters. They have been mentioned in a Broken Realms short story, and a champion unit (Bladelord) was part of the Direchasm warband. 

There are also rumors out there about a war machine, but I have no idea if they have any foundation at all (I think the wind spirit will be one). 

I don't think we'll see phoenixes yet. I guess those come with Tyrion in a few years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuminethMage said:

There are also rumors out there about a war machine, but I have no idea if they have any foundation at all (I think the wind spirit will be one).

Warmachines were mentioned in the Lore excerpt about Archaon attacking Slaaneshs Prison in Wrath of the Everchosen. Do you mean that the Wind Spirit will have the Warmachine Keyword? 😄
A Spirit launching artillery style Wind-Arrows?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Warmachines were mentioned in the Lore excerpt about Archaon attacking Slaaneshs Prison in Wrath of the Everchosen. Do you mean that the Wind Spirit will have the Warmachine Keyword? 😄
A Spirit launching artillery style Wind-Arrows?

Well, it can't just be ordinary arrows; it is a mighty Wind spirit!  Given the stats for the Mountain spirit, I'm expecting big things.  There's lots of possibilities when it comes to rules for representing wind on the tabletop.  I would at least hope its ranged attack to be immune to negative modifiers and possibly a battlefield-wide shot option.  Perhaps a bonus against Chaos?  Movement and distance bonuses or negatives are obvious candidates, but they are tricky to get right without being OP, so they may be lesser effects.  I'm hoping we get a fly high equivalent for the Wind spirit itself.

What are your thoughts? 

• Like 2

It would make a lot of sense for the wind temple to be able to deepstrike or redeploy to some degree. I doubt the fox spirit will work as artillery though in terms of attack range, our basic Vanari archers do the deed with the 30' range shot.

Also, with the wind mage coming our way, do you think we'll see yet another spell lore? That would have so many implications for Teclis and the Zaitreci...

• Like 1

Regarding the Wind Spirit I had the silly Idea of it being not just represented by 1 Model, but by 2 or 3 Models on the Tabletop. As in a metaphorical sense that you can never catch the Wind :D  Maybe the Fox/Wind Spirit has 2 or 3 identical Manifestations. Or the Spirit splits in two as a last defense mechnaism when reaching a certain Wound threshold? Or there could be a rule like the Bad Moon: When a Wind spirit is in your army you roll a dice and determine from which side of the Battlefield the Wind blows --> according to that your enemy gets debuffed or you get bonuses.  Your Fly High Idea sounds very reasonable, @Aelfric. :) 

I think what we can most reasonably expect is some rule that the Spirit can grant the Fly Ability to a friendly Lumineth Unit.

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Regarding the Wind Spirit I had the silly Idea of it being not just represented by 1 Model, but by 2 or 3 Models on the Tabletop. As in a metaphorical sense that you can never catch the Wind :D  Maybe the Fox/Wind Spirit has 2 or 3 identical Manifestations. Or the Spirit splits in two as a last defense mechnaism when reaching a certain Wound threshold? Or there could be a rule like the Bad Moon: When a Wind spirit is in your army you roll a dice and determine from which side of the Battlefield the Wind blows --> according to that your enemy gets debuffed or you get bonuses.  Your Fly High Idea sounds very reasonable, @Aelfric. :) 

I think what we can most reasonably expect is some rule that the Spirit can grant the Fly Ability to a friendly Lumineth Unit.

All nice ideas.  I like the notion of multiple models, but I also want a large fox-faced model.  Pehaps the compromise is one large model and several little tornadoes that it can send out like predatory endless spells, but they have wounds and can be attacked.

46 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

All nice ideas.  I like the notion of multiple models, but I also want a large fox-faced model.  Pehaps the compromise is one large model and several little tornadoes that it can send out like predatory endless spells, but they have wounds and can be attacked.

The latter idea would lead to people killing tornadoes with shooting attacks though, which is an absurdity

If the above image of the swirly cloud behind the cowasaurus rider hero is indeed the wind spirit, it would appear to be a single tall model, probably of the same scale overall as an Aralith spirit. Also, the wind spirit is supposed to be a 4-armed ranged hero wielding two bows, as per the excerpt from the battletome, so it would make sense that it would be a smaller model with a big wind swirl.

I'd love a redeployment option though, Lumineth have lots of tools at their disposal but actually moving up the field and challenging objectives is their primary weakness. I'd prefer it remain that way, because every faction needs a weakness to be comeplling to play, but it would be nice to have it as an option on a single model.

2 hours ago, Khaedhras said:

It would make a lot of sense for the wind temple to be able to deepstrike or redeploy to some degree. I doubt the fox spirit will work as artillery though in terms of attack range, our basic Vanari archers do the deed with the 30' range shot.

Also, with the wind mage coming our way, do you think we'll see yet another spell lore? That would have so many implications for Teclis and the Zaitreci...

They should get another spell lore, yup. And it would be good for Teclis. : ). Of course the mages could be just a small unit, with their own warscroll spells or something, but hopefully we get a full spell lore with them. 

I imagined the Wind Spirit as a teleporting artillery piece. Just from the description in the Battletome. A lot interesting ideas. 

I’m also really looking forward to the cloud mage helmets. If the go by the same principles as with the Stoneguard -> Stonemage, they should be glorious. 

• LOVE IT! 1

28 minutes ago, overtninja said:

The latter idea would lead to people killing tornadoes with shooting attacks though, which is an absurdity

If the above image of the swirly cloud behind the cowasaurus rider hero is indeed the wind spirit, it would appear to be a single tall model, probably of the same scale overall as an Aralith spirit. Also, the wind spirit is supposed to be a 4-armed ranged hero wielding two bows, as per the excerpt from the battletome, so it would make sense that it would be a smaller model with a big wind swirl.

I'd love a redeployment option though, Lumineth have lots of tools at their disposal but actually moving up the field and challenging objectives is their primary weakness. I'd prefer it remain that way, because every faction needs a weakness to be comeplling to play, but it would be nice to have it as an option on a single model.

I don't recall that there is a mention about 2 bows or 4 arms in the battletome ! (But I have a french translation) could you point out to me where it is said it has 4 arms ??  

17 hours ago, LordAlpharius said:

This might be a very hot take, but could the possible alternative sculpt for the Lord Regent perhaps be Aenarion?

It'd be a major spoiler for the broken realms and any story event. The soul of Aenarion would also recognize the Lumineth as true inheritors of the high elves, seems a rather big implication. Another thought is that the beast feels rather inadequate for the greatest Warhammer elf that ever lived. Considering how much Teclis dedicated himself in making the armour of Eltharion and his new body form. I feel nothing short of a new Dragon or Phoenix is going to fit for the reborn Aenarion.

Edited by Tiger

All of this banter has made me EXCITED for Saturday. I was looking forwards to it but now.... image.gif.398ab8f024717f97bea7f391dc00f3b9.gif

I regards to the multi model idea:  GW did just release a dual model in Morathi?  Right?  What is the precedent for them to release something similar for another faction to “balance” things?  What IF the wind spirit is like that?
 And is there a model that comes with its own “spells” (looking at the mini hurricane models ideas!!!)  
And having a way to deploy across the board via a “wind storm” or whatever could be awesome.  
Blade masters would be killer... I really wish for some melee accomplices for Eltharion to make him a terror. 

and I wonder what the Blank spot will be on the Preview?  What new Logo/game is coming our way?  They’ve been teasing the return of Old World..... but I feel it’s a bit early for that?

Sorry for the rambling. Can’t wait till Sat!!

Edited by Wyliekyote
  • Like 2

I’m really pleased we’re seeing more of the mortal realms menagerie. There’s so many strange beasts and weird creatures that inhabit each realm. From the Dracolines and Fangmora Eels, to the Steeds of Slaanesh  and now the new Lumineth mounts. I’m still hoping for some kind of elongated Llama head in the Vanari Lord box. 

How do you folk feel towards horses in AoS now? I really want to make the Dawnriders weirder somehow.

Edited by NotAWzrd
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, NotAWzrd said:

I’m really pleased we’re seeing more of the mortal realms menagerie. There’s so many strange beasts and weird creatures that inhabit each realm. From the Dracolines and Fangmora Eels, to the Steeds of Slaanesh  and now the new Lumineth mounts. I’m still hoping for some kind of elongated Llama head in the Vanari Lord box. 

How do you folk feel towards horses in AoS now? I really want to make the Dawnriders weirder somehow.

I've got no problem with Horses existing alongside weirder creatures in a lumineth army. Classic Dark Elves from warhammer fantasy, used cold ones and horses at the same time for different rolls, and they looked great on the tabletop. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

I've got no problem with Horses existing alongside weirder creatures in a lumineth army. Classic Dark Elves from warhammer fantasy, used cold ones and horses at the same time for different rolls, and they looked great on the tabletop. 

Agreed. Dark Riders in particular are great models. There were some rumours about the Umbraneth and  Malerion fusing with their mounts, becoming more draconian than the Dark Elves, so that could mean a return of cold ones in a more twisted form. 

58 minutes ago, NotAWzrd said:

I've finished my first 5 Dawnriders and intend at some point to get 5 more.  My plan though is to get some Wild Riders and use their deer as mounts instead of horses.  In the Skulls box, there appear to be some long tusks and the plan is to use them as long horns instead of the Reindeer ones and give them an Antelope feel - I have a bit of an African influence going on with my army scheme.  Not sure if this is what you're thinking of, but if it is I hope this helps.

It's going to be a while before I've completed the core of Wardens and Sentinels, so this a plan on the back burner. 

Whatever conversion you end up doing, I'd love to see some pics of the result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotAWzrd said:

I really like the Dawnriders, they are among the best looking models the Lumineth have in my view. Horses help to ground the Lumineth a bit among all the fantastical elements they have, and provide a bit of visual continuity with the High Elves, familiarity for us. I think that’s perfect for their bread and butter cavalry. We also have bulls, foxes etc, in the setting, so it also fits with that.

But, I’m also really excited to see with what other fantastic animals they’ll come up for the Lumineth. It’s great that now they don’t only can make fantastic looking mount armor, but all kind of strange beasts.

As mentioned I don’t think they’ll look weird together. We’ll already see them all together in the preview video on Saturday if I’m not mistaken, some of the blurred units in the background of the Windchargers looked like Dawnriders. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Khaedhras said:

Thoughts?

where could I see the video? :O

45 minutes ago, Ragest said:

Let’s talk a little about rules. How are they going to make Hurakans better than the almost perfect shooting machine sentinels are?

I could see a few things they could do to make them viable:

- movement (move shoot move)

- a lot of shots/damage (basically good against hordes)

- hits do something (push back opponents, reduce movement, stun them in place etc., would fit with the wind element and what they did with the Alarith)

They'll have a different role hopefully, not hero snippers, but either harassment (with some special ability on the shot), good against hordes etc.

As you say, they can't really make the shooting any better than what the Sentinels have, so they need a different role. They'll need at least 2 good shots per model to be even viable as a shooting unit visavis the Sentinels. If you look at the Lumineth and Gargants, the devs have come up with a lot of special abilities lately, so I think that's probably what they are going to do. 

They have mobility, likely more staying power, and melee capabilities than the Sentinels, but that alone won't be sufficient I think. 

• Thanks 2