Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

34 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Do they come out wth mechanics normally before release?

Yes, I have seen them spoil rules. I haven't followed new early releases detailed enough though to know if they will spoil brand new units and army rules though. I have seen them spoiled eldar rules, and undead rules. When they have, as I remember it, it has always been very close to pre-release or release though.

I know that I may be wrongly believing this... but I will be surprised if Tyrion isn't in the release. I know that probably isn't the popular opinion. I just cant see them waiting 2 or so years to release him, when they can have all the revenue he can generate now.

I also feel that while they will make then conform to the high fantasy AoS. They will toe the line of trying to hit as much nostalgia as possible. HE was one of the more popular armies in WHFB if I remember correctly... and James workshop is in the business of making monies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with you on Tyrion. The above "reasoning" is a joke of course but I do believe Tyrion will part of this release. And might actually come with a changed Malhandir like Archaon. 

For the same reasons as you do. I think he will be one of the big reveals at the Adepticon. There is just no one else left with the same kind of appeal and nostalgia. 

For the same reason I think there will be no "Angel-Aelves". The Stormcast already have that kind of style, Teclis made the Idoneth and Lumineth to resemble the old High Elves, and neither he nor Tyrion seem to look like half Elf, half Angel. Most of the time the change in the god kind of reflects the change in the faction. Maybe they have one unit with "light wings" or something like that, but I think it's more likely they have monsters and mounts which can fly. Much in the same way the Idoneth are. 

While I'd love Tyrion, just give me a strong ranged component I can build an army around and I'll be happy 😁
That rumour engine certainly points to another big model release for the Lumineth, but whether it's Tyrion or some other beastie is hard to say. Best to keep the expectations low so there's no disappointment, because everything we've seen so far has been fantastic anyway.

So, it took me a day or two to process this (and work was also murder the last two days).  So here goes my take.  I think this info dump points toward this being a very defensive unit.  I'm not sure if it'll be 3+,3+, -2 rend, but I do foresee it being a unit that makes opponents question if they want to actually charge it or not.  This also ties into @Acid_Nine's thoughts earlier on the models' appearance and how the spears are being held.  You probably wouldn't hold spears like that if you were attacking.  However, if you were bracing for a charge, that's exactly how you would would stand.

On the subject of the spears versus swords, unless they do have the sunmetal enchantment as a one time bonus, I think it will be a nonissue.  If they can enchant the spears, I don't see why you couldn't enchant the swords as well.

I really like the idea that units could potentially be Teclian or Tyrionic (and honestly, just those two words crack me up to no end).  The possibility of which of the Twins a unit is dedicated to changing how the unit functions is intriguing.  It also hints at different battalions that could exist.  Maybe a battalion made up of just units dedicated to each Twin, with the obligitory Mega Battalion combining the two?

And finally, I really dig the new artwork of the Zenith Warden.  That may be my paint scheme right there.  Did anyone else notice that his pupils are red and the sclera is black?

• Like 2

I took a closer look at the preview picture of the models in the latest lowdown, and the guy in the back kills me. His spear has been bent so far and it’s super noticeable. There are some other bendy spears, but that one hurts to look at...

and yea, the elves are definitely on 32’s :(

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

I took a closer look at the preview picture of the models in the latest lowdown, and the guy in the back kills me. His spear has been bent so far and it’s super noticeable. There are some other bendy spears, but that one hurts to look at...

Definitely hoping the bendy spears are just an issue with how they took the picture.

Edited by Nighthaunt Noob
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 8:29 PM, maitremage said:

It seems on the picture with wardens and Skavens that the basis are the same for both units, so I'd say 25mm... But I'm not sure, maybe should I wear glasses ^^

The warden bases seem to be a little bigger though they‘re further away from the camera. Maybe this is the new 28mm base scale

@Nighthaunt Noob usually models for such Previews are usually 3D prints, Masters etc. they‘re less stable than the final plastic minis. That‘s due to the wavy metal team working on them before the actual minis have finished the production (casting etc.) process.

Edited by JackStreicher

I think the bend is part of the camera settings/ lense used. On the other pics they're straight. And historical polearms didn't bend like that either (and partially had way heavier heads than just a blade), they'd easily snap on the first thrust. Uf you want to get more info on historical polearms (and one vs two handed spear grips for that matter), go check schola gladiatoria on the YouTubes, the man has some pedegree and gives connectio s to other credible sources.

15 minutes ago, Lucur said:

I think the bend is part of the camera settings/ lense used. On the other pics they're straight. And historical polearms didn't bend like that either (and partially had way heavier heads than just a blade), they'd easily snap on the first thrust. Uf you want to get more info on historical polearms (and one vs two handed spear grips for that matter), go check schola gladiatoria on the YouTubes, the man has some pedegree and gives connectio s to other credible sources.

Also a knack for innuendo. Check his video for using the back end of a musket for lessons in keeping a straight face (and interesting information, of course).

9 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

P.S. to the post above, I have to say the new Rumour Engine has me very hopeful for a new version of Tyrion as well.  I can't really thnk of any other model that would need that elaborate of a base to it.

I had the same thought. It could be anything large, but the two previews seem pretty clear that lumineth is both tyrion and Teclis so Tyrion's base has got to be odds on favourite. Also @luminethmage's sherlock Holmes like deductions! 

It makes sense to me from a sales point of view. Reveal Teclis early to get the hype train rolling. Keep Tyrion back until the last minute to get maximum hype shortly before product release. $$$$

In more random musings, I wonder if there will be any tyrion mutant/reject aelves at some point. Teclis rejected the idoneth and morathi keeps her mutants around to boost her self-esteem. I'm going to tin foil hat predict that tyrion's pre-lumineth mutant aelves defected to malaerion because as far as he's concerned the more mutated the better. 

Edited by Dr Ben
Typo
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

I now cannot unsee this.... I wonder if its just bad lens. but this is pretty hilarious.

10 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

So, it took me a day or two to process this (and work was also murder the last two days).  So here goes my take.  I think this info dump points toward this being a very defensive unit.  I'm not sure if it'll be 3+,3+, -2 rend, but I do foresee it being a unit that makes opponents question if they want to actually charge it or not.  This also ties into @Acid_Nine's thoughts earlier on the models' appearance and how the spears are being held.  You probably wouldn't hold spears like that if you were attacking.  However, if you were bracing for a charge, that's exactly how you would would stand.

I do agree with you, as much as I would love to see that stat line, I dont see it happening. GW has a tendency for their elvan style armies to be skill full, yet weak. so my guess on accurate not what I want will be a 3+/4+ maybe a rend 1. You do have to admit though a 3+/3+ -2R 2D 3+save unit would make a unit you might think twice about charging into it. I would put money down we will not have that stat line. 

I think they should at the very least match the stats of Namarti thralls  3+/3+/-1rend (plus Namarti have some tricks)

Just wouldn't seem right to me if they were worse than the cast offs of aelf-kind. They're meant to be the pinnacle of Teclis' vision of what an elf should be.

30 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

I think they should at the very least match the stats of Namarti thralls  3+/3+/-1rend (plus Namarti have some tricks)

Just wouldn't seem right to me if they were worse than the cast offs of aelf-kind. They're meant to be the pinnacle of Teclis' vision of what an elf should be.

Honestly it wouldn’t be hard to top thralls.  All the wardens Have to have is some synergy in their battletome with buffing units, a longer range than one inch, and a save better than a 5 plus.  As an idoneth player the thralls just seem bad on everything, even their attack profile seems really low. I just hope that the wardens are around the same range as greatswords or Non-petrifax Mortek guard. Strong, rock solid, but not over the top.

53 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Honestly it wouldn’t be hard to top thralls.  All the wardens Have to have is some synergy in their battletome with buffing units, a longer range than one inch, and a save better than a 5 plus.  As an idoneth player the thralls just seem bad on everything, even their attack profile seems really low. I just hope that the wardens are around the same range as greatswords or Non-petrifax Mortek guard. Strong, rock solid, but not over the top.

I think their attack profile isn't too bad (base 2 attacks at 3+/3+ is the same as Morsarr) , it's the 1" range plus 32mm base size (meaning only 1 rank of attacks) and 5+ save that lets them down. Also, the situational benefit of sweeping blows isn't great.

I have been wondering whether the spears may have a minimum range of 2" except in a combat when they have been charged, and so the font rank would have to use swords.  On the face of it, it sounds a bit complicated, but it would give them a distinct playstyle and role.  This is very left field and I am prepared to be shot down in flames ( from the sun, naturally ).

3 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

I think their attack profile isn't too bad (base 2 attacks at 3+/3+ is the same as Morsarr) , it's the 1" range plus 32mm base size (meaning only 1 rank of attacks) and 5+ save that lets them down. Also, the situational benefit of sweeping blows isn't great.

I Know your not talking about lumineth and instead commenting on IDK, I just hope we do not have a 5+ save armored phalanx style elves with shields who are supposed to be a defensive wall. I just dont trust GW to give us better than a 5+ even with the shield due to how frail they always make elven archetype models.... plus they are absolutely horrible about story matching rules for the games.