Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Hey all,

So I'm getting started with the realm lords, and am looking at starting with a 1000 point army, with the goal of expanding it to a 2000 point Teclis-less list. Knowing that, how does this look for getting started?

Scinari Cathallar (General)

Light of Eltharion

10x Vanari Auralan Wardens

10x Vanari Auralan Sentinels

5x Vanari Dawnriders

Similarly, how would you guys recommend expanding out from there? Just throwing more units of wardens/sentinels/dawnriders in there? Get over my distaste for the Alarith models and use them?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Docthe3rd said:

Hey all,

So I'm getting started with the realm lords, and am looking at starting with a 1000 point army, with the goal of expanding it to a 2000 point Teclis-less list. Knowing that, how does this look for getting started?

Scinari Cathallar (General)

Light of Eltharion

10x Vanari Auralan Sentinels

5x Vanari Dawnriders

Similarly, how would you guys recommend expanding out from there? Just throwing more units of wardens/sentinels/dawnriders in there? Get over my distaste for the Alarith models and use them?

Thanks!

Exactly how I started and played my first games. If you have the army box that’s the best list I think. Good learning list, not too overwhelming, but you can get used to handling the Cathallar, how Aetherquartz works etc. 10 Sentinels won’t do much though. They get better when you add more. Still good to have them in the list.

As for going on from there: Depends what you want and like. As you like Teclis, you won’t have that much left anyway. I’d get 20 more Sentinels and some Endless Spells. With Teclis, you also want to take the Aurelian Battalion. That’s already a 2,000 list.

Then, just look what you like and what works for you, and what doesn’t. Need more bodies? Exchange Eltharion with more Vanari. With the ones you felt work best for you or you could use more. 

And in a few months we might even have one or a few more units to chose from. : ) 

• Like 1

My Direchasm box arrived, and I’ve also read the short story involving the Lumineth in the booklet that came with the release today. 

Sadly, there isn’t much new information about the background of them, or hints about the possible Blademaster unit in either of those.

- a funny tidbit is that the upper part of moon crescent on Myari’s staff is so sharp that he can behead people with it. 

The only thing that could provide a bit of a look into the future is that Ailenn joined Myari so that he can teach her magic. That could further hint at the Blademaster being a Vanari unit, and the unit champion being a Wizard (Ailenn is a unit champion) like the others.

But of course it could just be part of her story and doesn’t have to do much with anything else at all. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

10 Sentinels won’t do much though. They get better when you add more. Still good to have them in the list.

Thanks for all your advice! So, in your opinion, is it worth trying to fit in another 10 sentinels? Or should I just make do with having 10 until I expand out another 1000 points?

4 hours ago, Docthe3rd said:

Thanks for all your advice! So, in your opinion, is it worth trying to fit in another 10 sentinels? Or should I just make do with having 10 until I expand out another 1000 points?

If you already have Eltharion, I’d begin with your list. The Sentinels are still ok, and you can start learning how to use them. The list is pretty good. 

Afterwards you can see what you want next. Buy that and try it out, or maybe at that point you can already play a 1,500 list and just generally add more units. 

• Like 1

Just finished these off, the struggle is real lol. I’ve got a second box sitting there but I need at least 6 months before I can open it.

Ive got my first battle coming up, just running what I’ve got painted and assembled.

Ill try and bang out a battle report, fingers crossed i don’t forget too much lol.

Syar  

Teclis

Cathallar

TLoE

2x20 wardens

20 sentinels 

5 dawnriders

twin stones 

geminids

2000 points

C1FD1889-6C1E-4E26-B9E4-912D398A2F97.png

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 3

18 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

@Troll.exe Please make some photos. Such a nice looking army! 

Exactly the same feeling about the Dawneider's luckily you only need 5 if you don't want to have more : ) 

I’ll get some decent photos for the battle. I’ve only got Teclis, 5 Dawnriders, 10 Wardens and tLoE painted so far. Definitely not one of the quicker armies to paint. Models are so good though.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Drazhoath said:

Hello

My friend play LRL and I love these models! Now I am a bit curious and maybe I start an army.

My question is, will big blocks of Wardens more useful than more small units? And how you handle the fact that the long spears block a proper pile in (in my opinion)?

Thanks a lot

Hi there, these are great looking models, especially when formed into units. 

Warden - depends a bit. There are quite a lot of things that can kill 10 Warden before they can hit back. Especially if you don’t play Teclis and therefore have no reliable Mortal Wounds protection/second save. And 20 Warden are pretty hard to remove from an object, and usually can hit back hard on something that attacked them.

On the other hand, smaller units have the advantage of more spells for flexibility or redundancy (at least at the start), and some of the usual benefits of smaller units like board control. And if you are in Shining Company, have your Aetherquartz ready and Protection of Hysh/Teclis up, even only 10 of them are durable. -1 to hit, 3+ save, 5+ ward. 

I personally haven’t found the spears too much of a problem during pile-ins. You just turn the first rank away. But it’s a bit subjective. One advice is to slightly angle the spears up when building the models. I have a few which I built with the spears facing straight forward, and those are more of a hassle when moving etc.

It comes up more often when your opponent piles-in, because you are in Shining Company half the time (which means you can only move so much), and because of their reach, which means you don’t have to move a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey gents, I had a question regarding the twin stones: if you are using the endless spell ability of the twin stones on your own LRL units, does Celennar's ability deal d3 mortal wounds on a 4+ to any enemy unit within 18? That just seems so broken to me and not what was intended but I wanted to get your expertise as I am just a filthy casual. Thanks!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NkfPanda said:

Hey gents, I had a question regarding the twin stones: if you are using the endless spell ability of the twin stones on your own LRL units, does Celennar's ability deal d3 mortal wounds on a 4+ to any enemy unit within 18? That just seems so broken to me and not what was intended but I wanted to get your expertise as I am just a filthy casual. Thanks!

I think that both should come from a enemy wizard

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NkfPanda said:

You are exactly right in your reading. As written, you could argue that if you use Endless Spells like Cogs, Twinstones, Palisade you can then fire mortal wounds around. But that was definitely not the intend, and I wouldn’t do it.

I think they had issues of how to word this, because of Endless Spells being able to be moved by both parties. I think they wanted to include protection against Endless Spell with negative effects cast by yourself being turned on you later, but that left them with this problem. 

• Like 1

With the approaching passing of the Earth's cycle around the sun, what are your plans and wishes for the LRL in the new one?

• New chapter of the Broken Realms with Teclis at the helm, looking for the soul of the strongest soul-king. I get goose bumps at the thought of having it reborn for LRL.
  • Eltharion gets his body. :)
  • Swordmasters and a hero models.
  • Hopefully begin working on LRL.
  • The upcoming LRL novel turns out to be great.
  • Virus goes away, and I can have some testing and fun with the Purifiers.
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

With the approaching passing of the Earth's cycle around the sun, what are your plans and wishes for the LRL in the new one?

• New chapter of the Broken Realms with Teclis at the helm, looking for the soul of the strongest soul-king. I get goose bumps at the thought of having it reborn for LRL.

I think what I am hoping for the most are true animal behemoths, such as a Ur-Phoenix, some sort of light Dragon (personally, I'd love a feathered dragon), and something as a monsterous infantry unit that I could use my Homebrew Hathorian Kitbashes (Hyshian Minotaurs, Highlighted here, still wip: 

) for as stand ins for official games. 

Swordmasters are going to be awesome, I'm also looking forward to more novels and definitely the Sun Side of Hysh. 

On a personal note, I'm excited (eventually) to start my Teclis Kitbash/Conversion

Annnd for many reasons, for the pandemic to be gone (or at least a much better place than now).

Here is to hoping 2021 will eventually be better than 2020

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

That’s basically my list. And also what I think we somewhat realistically can expect (Broken Relams appearance, newSwordmasters and a hero model, I’d love to see a Loreseeker personally).

If we get into more unrealistic territory a new aelimentiri temple would be awesome. I think we won’t see the Tyrionic side yet. 

In terms of Broken Realms, I want to see the Lumineth finally getting some agency, and not just being plot features for others. 

Concerning the hobby - finishing all the models I still have to paint (ca. 40 altogether) and of course at least 20 new Blademasters : ), and being able to play more regularly. 

Lumineth featuring in many more Soulbound products is another one for me. 

Happy New Circle of Celennar to everyone! 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

That’s basically my list. And also what I think we somewhat realistically can expect (Broken Relams appearance, newSwordmasters and a hero model, I’d love to see a Loreseeker personally).

If we get into more unrealistic territory a new aelimentiri temple would be awesome. I think we won’t see the Tyrionic side yet. 

In terms of Broken Realms, I want to see the Lumineth finally getting some agency, and not just being plot features for others. 

Concerning the hobby - finishing all the models I still have to paint (ca. 40 altogether) and of course at least 20 new Blademasters : ), and being able to play more regularly. 

Lumineth featuring in many more Soulbound products is another one for me. 

Happy New Circle of Celennar to everyone! 

New Soulbound stuff is very much a highlight for me as well :) i just got my book, so i'm excited to read it as a non pdf haha!

I think i'm gonna try to knock out some Stoneguard in january, finishing what I have is also a goal... but with so many projects in my head... its hard to not just...buy....more...😄

Man, I've been loving the broken realm stories, but I have to agree! where are the plots for the lumineth? Come on GW! lol

I'm hoping if they do give us a new temple that it will be Wind or River, personally think it'll be Wind though (and hoping that first honestly)

Happy New Circle of Celennar to you also! hoping 2021 is as bright as the Tyrionic Sun!

• LOVE IT! 1