Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

On 11/16/2020 at 12:38 AM, LuminethMage said:

Speculation times - best of times. So according to the WarCom Broken Realms article, Morathi's antics led to 

Reveal hidden contents

powerful aelf souls escaping from Slaanesh. Nothing says that they have any connection to the Lumineth, some could be corrupted (which seems likely for the most powerful one) etc. But, it could also be a great opportunity for GW to bring back yet another HE (or other elf) character from Warhammer Fantasy, and add a hero model to the Lumineth during Broken Realms. Would we want that? And if so who? For example

- the always popular Imrik? With an even more popular fitting mount? 

- Alith Anar would likely want to have a word with Morathi (but then she'd be his savior in a way, awkward)

- Korhil? 

- For me personally, of course, Caledor Dragontamer : ) 

- or maybe a "redeemed" former opponent, especially someone who doesn't like Morathi? And could bring a female option to the HE (there was a certain hag queen for example... )

- or maybe a special unit of powerful unit. As something like the White Tower is coming back.... 

- and many more 

- or,  we have enough of this, let's invent new heroes! 

This is way too tempting to pass up.

First, before everyone shouts me down, yes, LRL does badly need at least some original characters and that should be a priority.

THAT SAID.

I really want Alith Anar back no 1. He promised to hang around and haunt Malekith should he ever revert to tyranny in End Times. He has a track record with being immortal / ambiguous / tricky / Dread Pirate Roberts / a time traveller (plausibly so). He has history with Malekith AND Morathi. And he's the coolest a/elf ever while being quite definitely a non god non universe shaker.

Coolest elf ever? Actually Alith has one rival for this title, the extremely mysterious Aenur, Sword of Twilight from Mordheim. Possible history with Be'lakor. Awesome beautiful Khainite sword. Ambiguous, neutral, amoral vibe. Could see him as a kind of aelven Gotrek fitting in with Cities, DoK and Lumineth.

Dragon? Imrik Schimrik, I want Asarnil, or someone very like him!

I have complex feelings about Big A himself.

But I'd really like Volturnos to be confirmed as Aislinn or even better Finubar's soul in a new body! (Not LRL I know, sorry, but High Elven...)

• Like 1

I could see them bringing back Alaith Anar at some point, especially if the story for the Lumineth get’s darker again because of Morathi, civil war or something in that vain. 

When it’s the Lumineth turn in Broken Realms, we might know a bit more in which direction, if any, they go with those souls. They just could forget about the whole thing, or maybe Nagash consumes them all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tooooon said:

Question: New to Lummineth, and been looking over past several pages for lists involving Teclis, but he seems rather sparce!

Any good lists rocking atm that involve Teclis, or is he on the avoid  list?

He is not on the avoid list. If all your friends play strong alpha strike shooting armies, then you might struggle a bit, but otherwise you should be fine. 

Most of the Teclis lists involve him, an Aurelian Battalion, and the Spellportal. And from there you can customize, add Dawnrider, more Endless Spells (Geminids, Twinstones, Palisade etc.), Eltharion, or just make the Batallion larger. Many people recommend using Syar with him, because you can keep him saver that way. 

I'm struggling in deciding on unit sizes for battleline. The parts of my list that I've decided are:

Teclis
Cathallar + Auralan Legion
10x Dawnriders

Then I'm split between:

2x20 Wardens
2x10 Sentinels
VS
3x10 Wardens
3x10 Sentinels

I'm leaning towards the latter, but I'm worried that A) blocks of 10 wardens will die to a stiff breeze, B) 30 sentinels is pushing it in terms of keeping it fun for the opponent. On the other hand, with the 20 man blobs, I'm worried that they will be too clunky with Shining Company. Anyone have any experience running either, or have any feelings about the fun factor of 30 sentinels?

3 hours ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

I'm struggling in deciding on unit sizes for battleline. The parts of my list that I've decided are:

Teclis
Cathallar + Auralan Legion
10x Dawnriders

Then I'm split between:

2x20 Wardens
2x10 Sentinels
VS
3x10 Wardens
3x10 Sentinels

I'm leaning towards the latter, but I'm worried that A) blocks of 10 wardens will die to a stiff breeze, B) 30 sentinels is pushing it in terms of keeping it fun for the opponent. On the other hand, with the 20 man blobs, I'm worried that they will be too clunky with Shining Company. Anyone have any experience running either, or have any feelings about the fun factor of 30 sentinels?

I’ve gone for the 20x20 and 2x10 option. Fun factor definitely played a part in that decision. With the bare minimum to get the battalion then you can kind of argue that you did have that in mind.

Also having at least two ranks deep with the wardens with those long spears is just going to look awesome.

My play group being the way it is I’ll add more sentinels for the odd game but I’d rather not run a list that I would take no pleasure facing, as my standard lol.

• Like 2

Wanted to share this with the community. Teclis is magnetized so that he can be attached either to Celennar or to the column on the base.

I mainly did it so that the model wouldn’t be too high for my magnetic carry case, but it also makes for a nice alternative pose.

689BEA1B-5E5C-4FEA-80B5-DAF2708E6A5D.jpeg

3564F02D-AF23-4C98-9C88-44956AA2B1B7.jpeg

Edited by Gobboz
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

off topic but the next guys look to be vamps, so apparantly all my armies are getting updated! sweet.

Gah still havn't even touched the rest of my archers! I am just too swamped with, but I know I need them. 

and writing down my zaitec painting recipe here in case anyone else wants to play around with it:. I will use it again in the future when I don't have 10 tests to study for

Armor:

White primer:

retributor armor

Burning Gold colorshift paint

Secondary armor like chain mail: nuln oil gloss instead of colorshift

Main Cloth: Blood Angels red contrast

Secondary cloth: shysh purple

Leather: Snakebite leather

weapon tips / embossed symbols: Leadbelcher steel with celestial azure colorshift on top

Shield: Black gloss for center oval, then Toxic purple colorshift for background metallic

• Like 1

Thoughts about this list, even remotely playable? Avoids playing Wardens, max cows and has ranged element

Alarith Stonemage x2

Avalenor

Alarith

3x10 Stoneguard

2x10 Sentinels

Alarith Temple Battalion

It's a bit slow, but I don't know how else to go for Wardenless battlelines. 3x5 Stoneguards doesn't sound like they'd do much.

1 hour ago, marke said:

Thoughts about this list, even remotely playable? Avoids playing Wardens, max cows and has ranged element

Alarith Stonemage x2

Avalenor

Alarith

3x10 Stoneguard

2x10 Sentinels

Alarith Temple Battalion

It's a bit slow, but I don't know how else to go for Wardenless battlelines. 3x5 Stoneguards doesn't sound like they'd do much.

You have two castles you can move forward and a minor board-wide threat with your archers. From there I guess you have to test a bit. If you really need 30 Stoneguard of if 1 x 10 and 2 x 5 are enough, and you can take something different for example. 

Why do you want to avoid Wardens in the first place? 

9 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

You have two castles you can move forward and a minor board-wide threat with your archers. From there I guess you have to test a bit. If you really need 30 Stoneguard of if 1 x 10 and 2 x 5 are enough, and you can take something different for example. 

Why do you want to avoid Wardens in the first place? 

I want to avoid Wardens, because I really don't like the figures. If 1x10 and 2x5 Stoneguard would be enough, I could get more Sentinels and possibly Dawnriders. It could also remove the need for 2 stonemages. 

Surely this looks fun:

Alarith Stonemage 

Avalenor

Alarith

1x10 Stoneguard

2x5 Stoneguard

2x20 Sentinels

1x5 Dawnriders

Edited by marke

Oh I see, that’s a good reason : ). That could work, but I’d hold on your initial idea with two Stonemages to keep both of your Spirits at full power until they die. But 1 x Dawnrider and/or any combination of the Lumineth Endless Spells could be good. More sentinels also don’t hurt. All good options. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback and help! This is the "polished version". Not a big change, but feels good on paper having 10 more archers and it goes for 2000 pts exactly.

Alarith Stonemage (130)
Alarith Stonemage (130)
Alarith Spirit of the Mountain (340)
Avalenor, the Stoneheart King (360)
10 x Alarith Stoneguard (200) - Stone Mallets
10 x Alarith Stoneguard (200) - Diamondpick Hammers
5 x Alarith Stoneguard (100) - Diamondpick Hammers
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (280)
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (140)
BATTALIONS Alarith Temple (120)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 WOUNDS: 116

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I am the only one preferring the alarith spirit of the mountain for damage instead of avalenor ? Yes avalenor buffs are better but wounding on 3s and only -1 rend is really not that great :/ I often end up dealing more damage with the regular spirit instead of Avalenor.

Usually there are less hits but more wounds and the -2 rend garanties that there is usually no more than a 6+ save left so I end up doing more damage. 

12 hours ago, Jeremierty said:

Hi everyone,

I am the only one preferring the alarith spirit of the mountain for damage instead of avalenor ? Yes avalenor buffs are better but wounding on 3s and only -1 rend is really not that great :/ I often end up dealing more damage with the regular spirit instead of Avalenor.

Usually there are less hits but more wounds and the -2 rend garanties that there is usually no more than a 6+ save left so I end up doing more damage. 

1015358009_ScreenShot2020-12-02at10_39_38.png.08f6c2547f30c421e7207ec57ed569c8.png

If you include 1 Moral Wound on average for Avalenor, the damage in most cases seems to be almost the same, and higher for Avalenor on low saves (no surprise). If that page shows it correctly that is : ). 

1840089784_ScreenShot2020-12-02at10_41_20.png.c794f65c2b28b616f0489fcee8e44d67.png

If they get attached, there is a larger difference, but still it's within a similar level if you include 1 MW on average. 

So, if you don't fight armies with high saves (2 and 3), there won't be much of a difference in damage, but there is a difference in terms of the other abilities between the two. That's why most people will take Avalenor over the Spirit, because often the 20 points aren't often making a difference anyway. 

But if you like the Spirit more, and think the pure damage output on high saves is worth it, that's fine. The 3 reach could also be useful in some cases. And the Spirit can use all the abilities of the other factions (well, mostly Syar). I prefer the model of the Spirit, so I'll try to include one in my list, once I'm working on my Alarith side. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

1015358009_ScreenShot2020-12-02at10_39_38.png.08f6c2547f30c421e7207ec57ed569c8.png

If you include 1 Moral Wound on average for Avalenor, the damage in most cases seems to be almost the same, and higher for Avalenor on low saves (no surprise). If that page shows it correctly that is : ). 

1840089784_ScreenShot2020-12-02at10_41_20.png.c794f65c2b28b616f0489fcee8e44d67.png

If they get attached, there is a larger difference, but still it's within a similar level if you include 1 MW on average. 

So, if you don't fight armies with high saves (2 and 3), there won't be much of a difference in damage, but there is a difference in terms of the other abilities between the two. That's why most people will take Avalenor over the Spirit, because often the 20 points aren't often making a difference anyway. 

But if you like the Spirit more, and think the pure damage output on high saves is worth it, that's fine. The 3 reach could also be useful in some cases. And the Spirit can use all the abilities of the other factions (well, mostly Syar). I prefer the model of the Spirit, so I'll try to include one in my list, once I'm working on my Alarith side. 

Woah thank you for doing the maths and your elaborated response ! I didn't factored in the 3 inch range but yes you are absolutely right I forgot about that ! I agree with you that the -1 to hit bubble of Avalenor is really incredible and this is why I will probably have to play him in more competitive match-ups.

However I think that when you have flat 5 damages the maths don't really show the difference between 1 missed hit and 0 missed hit. Every 1 or 2 that you roll or every save made  by the opponent is 5 damage lost. So the discrepancy might seem very close mathematically but when you actually roll the dices, in one case you can have 15 damages vs 4+ save which is enough to kill the target vs only 10 for Avalenor  which leaves the target alive.

So the difference in reality is not really 1 or 2 damages but often 5 sometimes 10 if you roll poorly in my opinion :/

1 hour ago, Thaliontil said:

New article on Wh community raises some questions about the swordmaster. She seems to be able to "channel the wind" and "channel the river" (The wizard "channels the zenith"). Wonder if Aelementiri can belong to two temples at the same time?

She could be a loreseeker, the people who master both tyronic and teclian, so that is why she has 2 elemental cards.

• Like 2

Yup. She is also holding what looks like a "runic stone" in those cards, and somebody noted that it looks like one of the Aelementiri discs that Teclis has on his belt, so it looks like a "loreseeker"-"loremaster" (Champion of the new "swordmasters of hoeth?") is the way to go with her.

These cards are for all of them. All four can use all four of them, so all can channel all four of them.  

So sadly I don’t think it has much of a meaning for the lore or the main game, and looks more that they just needed some kind of mechanic for the Warband and decided to do this. 

Sadly, compared to yesterday the article was pretty bad, with zero explanation about what the poses mean or who they are. Whoever wrote that WarCom article didn’t seem to be inspired by Myari’s Purifiers. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 1