Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

2 hours ago, woolf said:

😂 haha amazing

fortunately I'm major in economics so I can always justify this simply by working from a model where we start with "lets assume every added string adds to the range of the bow..." 

but jokes aside it will probably come down to how finicky it turns out to be to cut them off vs how much the actual look bothers me when I have them in front of me..

I’ve painted 20 now, and it’s like - of course bows have three strings! Are there any other? 

@Pravus_Obsideo maybe because they break easily. I’ve cleaned up some of the strings at first, but they do really break easily. It’s easier to just shade them, you won’t see the difference easily under normal conditions. Just me guessing though. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, ThalmorRepresentative said:
Lumineth vs Skaventide
Mission: Border Wa
r

Auralion of Twin Peaks watched dawn’s first light crest over the Kithmore Valley. An ancient and beautiful land of magma pools and flourishing groves clustered between molten rivers, the Stonemage searched and discovered the magics of hysh. Dawn suddenly broke over the Obsidian Mountains beyond the gate of hidden Kithmore, intense and glorious to behold. Somewhere amidst the vermillion and lavender flower groves, the burial site of his master’s mentor, Kenlai of the Radiant Dawn lay buried beneath the earth.

‘’Always the wise one, Kenlai.’ Auralion smiled. ‘And a step ahead of us all in glory and splendor. He has found a beautiful place to lay himself, a site that eclipses even the illustrious tombs of Ayrathair.

Saroia, an elegant aelven priestess of the Scinari Cathallers, spoke hushed words from beneath her mourning veil. ‘Kenlai’s raiment was said to burn fierce with dawn’s first light… It matters not where he discovered such blazing glory, it is a noble gesture to bring this light to the Shyshian wastes.’

Auralion inclined his head in agreement. ‘Such a fey and enchanted wild, certainly the Lumineth would be wise for laying the geomantic symbols and guarding this place with a great garrison! As my master has always said -’

Suddenly, a great surge stirred in the Shyshian winds, till the moderate breeze howled like rushing waterfalls. A booming voice that quaked the earth beneath Auralion’s levitated form, seemed to stir the lands themselves into life. The words came in deliberate and ponderous sentences, and sounded like gravel grounded under stone.

Erathair, the Mountain King of the Ayrathair Princedoms, a Princeling of Avalenor himself or so the legends mentioned, announced his presence on Shyish. ‘True glories… lies in nature… and harmony of all… the spirits therein… I sense great… disharmony in this… place.’

Auralion sighed. ‘The verminkin hordes gnaw at the roots of this sacred land. Like a great inferno that uproots all life in a forest, we must scatter them from their lairs and purge them from this land!’ The Stone Mage effortlessly turned in his stance of levitation to address the grand luminous host of the Floating Realms. Tens of thousands of Vanari Auralan pikes and bows, gathered for the purpose of battle. At the fore of their ranks, the elite warrior-monks from the Alarith Temples arrayed themselves in perfect formation around Erathair’s colossal artifice. ‘Courage, warriors of Ayrathir and Lords of the Luminous Realm! We’ve claimed this land! No beastial filth shall steal it out from under us!

Deployment:

KfaEeLm.jpg

So, to the mission at hand! Border war sets up four objectives - two placed on either end of a vertical line down the center of the board - another two placed on either end of the horizon line running down the center of the board. All the objectives are like placed half way down the line from the board’s core center, it’s kind of like an outer ring that revolves around it.

Two opponents arrive on the battlefield on opposite diagonal ends of the board, their deployment zones about a quarter or so on each side of said board. One objective is situated comfortably in each deployment zone, which the vertical aligned objectives are in no man’s land.

Shyish is the Realm of Battle, granting every terrain piece nullification… there isn’t much to say about the terrain otherwise except that it is quite deadly on occasion!

The Skaventide erupts from its underworld lairs in the south, while the Realm-Lords sally forth from the north to cleanse the land.

Turn One: Skaventide

The Skaventide are granted the initiative, by only by the Realm-Lords’ blessing, and the endless rat war machine grinds forward. Screaming Bells fill the air with peals of doom and mystical displays of harnessed war energies. The very ground withers and rots from the countless thousands of rat warriors trampling over the land. The Grey seers attempt a few spells, casting death frenzy on the most forward group of clan rats. Mystic shield goes off somewhere in the horde, but everything else is out of range, including a peal of doom roll from the screaming bell (whew!)

Turn One: Realm Lords

Saroia the Scinari Cathaller summons the Hyshian twinstones, then bestows the lambent light upon the great unit of sentinels positioned behind her. Other than that, not many spells go off at all this turn, disappointingly. The Stoneguard advance, running full tilt in their plate armor to clear the gnawhole they had surrounded in case anything unsuspecting burst from the depths… but nothing will come or risk losing the magical prowess of the screaming bells. Erathair (Avalenor) eclipses them with his protective aura as he stomps along in their wake. The Stonemage positions herself between the single file column of stoneguard and Avalenor.

Meanwhile, the wardens shift and march forward to claim the northwestern objective hoping to consolidate and defend the land that they’ve claimed.

The Sentinels are commanded to send a warning volley into the skaven. The luminous archers lift their bows and nock their arrows, then rain death on the enemy, killing several rats from the death frenzied horde. The other archers are slightly out of range, but march with their brethern for better positioning.

PcBe2XO.jpg

Turn Two: Realm Lords

The Lumineth seize the initiative. The Hyshian twin stones shine with an intense light as the Realm-Lords bring their might to bear. Lambent light is restored on the sentinels, then Saroia darkens the horizon with a total eclipse. The power of Hysh is granted across the vanari ranks, as well as an ethereal blessing being cast upon the Warden unit nearest the skaven horde. Auralion summons an avalanche of stones, crushing several skaven in the unit approaching the southeastern objective.

Everything marches forward, the Stoneguard advancing to contest the southeastern objective. Erathair lumbers up behind them, The Wardens consolidate their positioning.

The Sentinels open fire again, taking off several wounds off the ordinary screaming bell with no grey seer.. Another volley is poured into the death frenzied rats before they hit home, thinning their ranks further still.

LE79nOP.jpg

Turn Two: Skaven

Nothing much to say, the skaventide sends in the first wave… A few Realm-Lords are slain from screaming bell enhanced warp magicks, but when the clanrats slam into their first warden unit, only one warden is slain in the melee. The moonfire flash is thrown, incinerating a handful of the verminous men. Pikes thrust forth and bring the clanrats down below half strength.

8gcqYho.jpg
KrV4IiC.jpg

Turn three: Realm Lords

Realm Lords seize the initiative once again!

Again, the magic phase is almost peerless. Power of hysh enhances the Vanari to heights of superior martial prowess. Lament light cast once again, though total eclipse fails. The twinstones swell to full strength, and Auralion taps their magical might once again, summoning another flood of stones that shatter several more rats.

The Sentinels target the screaming bells as they grind into range… the grey seerless bell is reduced to one wound… but survives. A handful of wounds are taken on the general’s bell by Avalenor’s geomantic blast.

The Wardens hold, but the sight of the skaven’s endless numbers on the right flank are worrisome. The Alarith Temple, however, are not daunted by the endless hordes before them. The Stoneguard sounds the horn, and charges into the thick of the ratmen. In a cunning ploy, the Stoneguard shift aside like an avalanche, making way for Erathair to join the fray… and so he does. Auralion positions himself to support both units against the endless tide.

Erathair crushes about 12 skaen in the onslaught, while the Stoneguard hews down about 10 or so themselves… Avalenor only loses two wounds in the fight. While the stoneguard loses one member of their order.

A bunch of dead skaven.
PNLQPb1.jpg
2nGOLu4.jpg

Skaven turn three:

Nothing much to say here… the Skaventide sent in the second waves.

More clanrats pile into the fight against the Alarith…

Eraithair unleashes the fury of his twin firestealer hammers and decimates 22 clanrats in one round of combat. The stoneguard hue down so many clanrats at this point it’s hard to keep count.

The Wardens in the fight with the clanrats continue to hold, but they’re being ground down.

The Stormvermin actually move out and crush the second warden unit on the northwestern objective, and do not even stop to gnash gnaw on the bones as they aim to take the exposed sentinels next.

MqtaGog.jpg

B0SCxdU.jpg
v9QBZn7.jpg

Skaven turn four:

Nothing much to say here… grim are these lightless times, though the Lumineth slay vermin upon vermin, their chances of victory wane with each passing turn.

Avalenor reaches the full peak of his rage, and annihilates 32 clanrats this round of combat on his own (body count over 50!)

Between him, the stoneguard, and Auralion joining the fray, nearly all the frenzied clanrats assailing them are crushed into earthen graves.

But it is too late for the realm-lords to achieve victory, as Avalenor is still mired in combat, and has no chance of reaching the screaming bells on the southwestern objective and laying waste to them for the triumphant comeback.

NRFWdiG.jpg

Victory to the skaventide

13 - 8

Awesome battle report!  When fighting the Skaven, E-rat-hair needs to go by a different name though :)

• Thanks 1

So now, that we have seen a glimpse of the Broken Realms Morathi content, what does everyone think the Lumineth are going to get when it's their turn? 

As our Battletome is still fresh, I guess not (m)any warscroll updates as some of the other factions. But a new hero with their own warscroll battalion seems to be what's in line for most of the factions. What is likely for us in that case? An extension of the Teclian side with another Mage? A Loremaster or even more melee focused hero (with a mount maybe?). A glimpse into a new Temple, or the Tyrionic side? Although those probably would take more than one new hero model. 

Or because our range is small, and they've hinted at so many new things, can we expect more models? A full fledged new Temple for example (3 to 4 models)? 

Anyway, exciting times for AoS. If this goes well, it looks like they fix some under performing warscrolls and obvious issues for many factions. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Yeah I am hyped also! ☺️ For sure didn't expect a whole new Temple for the Daughters or 2 new Cities for CoS.
We will have a much better Idea when we know more about the Underworlds Warband Myaris (?) Purifiers. For now the only Info is that they want to calm down the Beastgrave Mountain and somehow reason with it. Good luck! :D 

One thing that will be excititng is: Will every Broken Relams Book be accompanied by a Box of Army X vs Army Y? At most I expect maaayybe a new Hero in a Box with our established Troops.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

So now, that we have seen a glimpse of the Broken Realms Morathi content, what does everyone think the Lumineth are going to get when it's their turn? 

As our Battletome is still fresh, I guess not (m)any warscroll updates as some of the other factions. But a new hero with their own warscroll battalion seems to be what's in line for most of the factions. What is likely for us in that case? An extension of the Teclian side with another Mage? A Loremaster or even more melee focused hero (with a mount maybe?). A glimpse into a new Temple, or the Tyrionic side? Although those probably would take more than one new hero model. 

Or because our range is small, and they've hinted at so many new things, can we expect more models? A full fledged new Temple for example (3 to 4 models)? 

Anyway, exciting times for AoS. If this goes well, it looks like they fix some under performing warscrolls and obvious issues for many factions. 

I missed the reveals, though the short animation movie was phenomenal. 

I think if we see any new Temple it will be the Wind Temple and I see it making it debut with Wind and a possible Artillery piece from the Sayr Nation. We have all our core elements aside from an true Artillery option, I know sentinels can act as such, but i would still like to see an Eagle Bolt Thrower type unit or an entirely new invention (especially given Sayrs background).

Maybe they are saving the Artillery and "big guns" for the Tyrion Militaristic side of Hysh, but war machines seem to be the Lunar Sides Niche.

Hoping for a Monsterous Infantry or Cav option tbh

Edited by Sinarai
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Definitely gonna see 3-4 new battalions. A lot of the books this year seem to be very light on battalions. (LRL, KO, Seraphon really only having 4 based on army choice, Ogors sames thing).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

So, they updated the Underworlds homepage, and it now has a proper Lumineth feeling to it : ) 

Including a very nice picture for those of us who miss the Sword Masters: 

844772048_ScreenShot2020-10-30at12_33_20.png.ab82be129c6acbefa18f16b7185cc562.png

And another hint of the Mage leader being a Zenith Mage, he seems to handle both Sun and Moonlight powers: 

516072658_ScreenShot2020-10-30at12_08_38.png.ebaacd10d6b2b59df5cd1221891d521b.png

This is very cool on multiple levels. I love the art for one, it's very eye catching and well done in my opinion. 

The mage in particular interests me for my own homebrew for Haset, so I will be interested in how this or if this is actually controlling of both the Sun & Moon.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, Troll.exe said:

Well it’s taken about a month with a few setbacks along the way, by he’s finished. Back into dawnrider hell lol. Trying to everything painted that need subassembly so I can get 2k ready for the table.4C4E8DE9-248F-45C8-AB9E-57757D0D550D.jpeg.1c214a9e5ae58a49634aa3a980bc129d.jpegCF8EF9E1-38F7-4DBF-9375-813ECB833721.jpeg.43ec1209f6e9d6375273e5a47001e307.jpeg119DCD85-DBCD-48F9-8EE1-E7A35551CE6F.jpeg.97f7b64e01e0bb1cfc62516b656636cb.jpeg

So pretty !   Can you make a little video tutorial for the feathers?  So many models have feathers which are tough to do justice upon.   

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Can Teclis cast the Sanctum endless spell, since it can't fit around his base? 

So, I don't know for a fact but it seems to me the reason it didnt come with a base is for this reason; so you can fit it around any character that can use it no matter the base size

I could be wrong, but that is what makes sense in my head

12 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

So pretty !   Can you make a little video tutorial for the feathers?  So many models have feathers which are tough to do justice upon.   

Cheers 👌This is the video that helped me when I was stuck. The technique is called feathering funnily enough. There’s plenty of content out there and they only touch on it briefly here but it’s fairly straightforward. I ended up dry brushing, then edge highlighting. Then I wet blended using this feathering technique. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Troll.exe said:

Cheers 👌This is the video that helped me when I was stuck. The technique is called feathering funnily enough. There’s plenty of content out there and they only touch on it briefly here but it’s fairly straightforward. I ended up dry brushing, then edge highlighting. Then I wet blended using this feathering technique. 

I just started with Teclis, and I can imagine it was a bit of a battle. Congrats!!  And well done. I'm thinking about a lighter colored Celennar too. How far are you now into 2,000? And what' the list you are aiming for? 

Edited by LuminethMage

38 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

I just started with Teclis, and I can imagine it was a bit of a battle. Congrats!!  And well done. I'm thinking about a lighter colored Celennar too. How far are you now into 2,000? And what' the list you are aiming for? 

Good luck 👌 fairly enjoyable model to paint I found. I’ve just got 10 wardens, Teclis and TLoE finished. 30 more wardens, 10 dawnriders, 20 sentinels, a Cathallar and  Avalenor to go. Still playing round with lists. Feels like the stoneguard battalion with Avalenor is just such a solid combo but it’s all about the aesthetic at this point lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Troll.exe said:

Good luck 👌 fairly enjoyable model to paint I found. I’ve just got 10 wardens, Teclis and TLoE finished. 30 more wardens, 10 dawnriders, 20 sentinels, a Cathallar and  Avalenor to go. Still playing round with lists. Feels like the stoneguard battalion with Avalenor is just such a solid combo but it’s all about the aesthetic at this point lol.

Thank you. Oh Teclis, LoE and Avalenor. That provides something to think about do your opponent lol. 

And Teclis with more Alarith is also pretty nifty I think, if you ever want to go down that road. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

anyone have any tips for hobby fatigue? I still got 8 sentinels to paint before my next ten wardens, and I am not looking forward to it...

Depends a bit. What normally motivates you? Getting the units ready to play? Excited about the lore? That's two of mine. So, I'll try to fix dates for playing, and always go back to the Battletome to read some of the lore, and work on the army background of my units. Mixing it up can also be good. Tired of painting, maybe build some more units, or do some basing etc. 

Another thing I can recommend is taking part in one of the two "I pledge doing X" threads here on the painting forum. I'm in the "X tales" one, and that's really motivating. People are super supportive over there, and you can make photos of your progress. I also got some really good advice on colours and other hobby tips there. It's basically an "I start to paint an army and post pictures until it's finished" thread. Sinarai also just joined that one. The other one is a monthly pledge.

Edit: And of course - sometimes taking a break is the best way. It's a hobby, if you feel burned out, or just not like doing it, also nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

anyone have any tips for hobby fatigue? I still got 8 sentinels to paint before my next ten wardens, and I am not looking forward to it...

I tend to swing from one army to another to keep things fresh.  I've painted 10 Wardens, 10, Sentinels and 5 Dawnriders, but currently working on a Loonshrine for my Troggoths.  By the time I've finished that, I'll be refreshed to return to Lumineth for a Cathallar and 10 more Wardens, possibly more, but if I get a bit fatigued, I have 10 Brutes in the bag (literally) as a change , or rebasing some more Dark Aelves.  I find a change is sometimes as good as a rest.  

• Like 2

On 11/3/2020 at 12:16 PM, Acid_Nine said:

I try to have two things on the go all of the time, I apply the same to reading  and work too. One thing ‘serious’ and one thing fun.  Serious doesn’t actually need to be serious, but could be the harder choice. I’ve been treating my elves as the serious option lately (so much trim :( ) and rebasing my ww2 15mm for a new game as my fun hobby. It’s good to do something low key and still feel productive. And stops me getting grumpy at something that is meant to be for fun lol. 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2020 at 2:16 AM, Acid_Nine said:

what I found really important is to avoid big batches, i.e. I typically work on max 5 dudes in one go which allows me to make significant progress in one sitting (I typically cant find more than 2h straight to allocate to painting. So at least for me, having 10+ dudes in front of me and doing all swords, then all boots etc is a motivation killer as I can't see the progress and it just becomes a chore to paint them. Also when I make mistakes its super annoying to go back, i.e. if I'm in the "sword phase" and I see a boot that is not good then that bugs me. Rather I work from wetpallet with all colors available so I can finish one or 2 models completely before I go to the next one and I can freely switch between colors and areas on that 1-2 model(s).

The other tip I have is to try and get to a routine of spending e.g. 2 hours at X clock every wednesday or whatever, and make the "startup"-cost as low as you can, i.e. have your workplace ready with your colors easy at hand etc, doesnt need to be overly ambitious but what I find is the most difficult bit is to get started, then while painting its enjoyable

But as someone above said, also go back to what is your objective. If you are more in it for the game-part and just want to get them done then maybe just lower the ambition a bit and e.g. set an alarm for 30min, cover what you can on a model in that time and then leave it (there are also plenty of speed painting tutorials on youtube). You can always come back to them at some point in the future when you feel more motivated. Personally I play the game very little actually and spend way way more time on the hobby part but it still takes me about a year to finish 2k points.

Good luck with finishing your troops and remember what they say, "the most difficult step is not the first one, its always the next one" :)

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 8:16 PM, Acid_Nine said:

A lot of good advice here already, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I often find that focusing on a single foot hero can help get me back in the groove, especially if I've been working on a lot of larger units or models.

Another thing you can do is commit to just one goal when you sit down to paint (just the skin, just the metals, just the weapons, just the shields, etc.) 10+ whole models can be daunting with the amount of details you have to cover, even if you're not doing them all at once, but if you're only worried about the bows or spears, it's not so bad. Then you can keep going or wrap it up for later as you choose.

Finally, I've also found that sometimes, you just need to take a break. I'm on one myself at the moment. It's your hobby, you're not doing something wrong if you step away for a bit.