Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

For anyone else out there struggling to paint the spirit from Teclis to a standard they’re happy with(like myself lol), I’ve been forced to learn to wet blend. I thought I’d share my process here (including my failures), hopefully it’ll help someone. 

So initially I thought I’d use a contrast paint then dry brush it. That failed. I added edge highlights and still wasn’t happy.

I found the small feathers on the front edge of the wings come up well with a shade in the recesses around each feather with a edge highlight on each feather also. Some of the detail isn’t great so this worked well for me.

For the rest of the feathers I wet blended from dark to light at the tips. Something about the three tiers of feathers on the top, just didn’t look right until I blended from dark to light.

I used a process called feathering which YouTube can probably explain better then me. Basically just use a brush for each colour then pull the colours together with a third damp clean brush. I also used contrast medium to dilute my highlight paint down to the same consistency as my contrast paint.

Ive been stuck on this for 2 weeks and it had completely stalled my progress with the army. Hopefully this is of some use. 41A5D87F-7A8C-476E-94CE-9E78CEC127D8.jpeg.eb64642963eca859f4b0b7e493b73174.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 10/18/2020 at 5:03 PM, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I think it is our old High Elf Rune Tavlu
grafik.png.576255829fd1a04575b8ad2c85cf025a.png
I am really happy with the models! They also have little backpacks and travelling gear, this is neat. The Swordfighter is one of my favorite models now. 🥰

Hmm - I don't mind the silly balancing, it's part of their charm for me. Elfs who overcomplicate things in a haughty and silly way is just a thing that has always drawn me to them. Firing an Arrow in midair while jumping? No problem.
They are a race that can afford to show off :P

Something has been bugging me the whole times since I saw the Tavlu rune again, like I have been seeing this somewhere a lot lately. I finally figured it out, it's Teclis' own new symbol, just  reversed. It's all over the Lumineth Battletome, on the Teclis model itself of course, and on many chest plates of the archers (where I have painted it lately ....). Teclis is really a sentimental god. : ) 

99120210038_LRLArchTecCelSpiHysFeature02.jpg

01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

So it's been a few weeks now, the world has not fallen to Sentinels. What are people's thoughts on the faction?

I still haven’t got in a game myself, hopefully in November, if COVID doesn’t make it impossible again. But from the various Lumineth groups of on Discord, Facebook, and TTS and a few tournament results, it seems like 

- they are a pretty high tier army, but right now maybe below Seraphon, KO, and some of the dedicated shooting lists.

- they have several competitive builds 

- it takes a while to get into them, and you have to keep in mind a lot of things to use them fully. 

Looks like in a way we are lucky that we came out a little bit after the Seraphon who are apparently really strong, and the KO points reduction, because KO have a relative easy time against many popular Lumineth builds. So, it doesn’t feel like the Lumineth are totally OP. The Lumineth can be pretty rough though to play against for some factions it seems.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

So it's been a few weeks now, the world has not fallen to Sentinels. What are people's thoughts on the faction?

One of the guys in my local hobby group did some test games with a battalion list that capped out sentinels, just to see what would happen. We had a series of games where the longest part of the game was just putting the models on the table. The games themselves were about 30 minutes long and mostly involved opponents removing models from the table while the lumineth player stood still and just rolled dice. It might not be unbeatable, but the play experience so far with that type of list is very un-interactive for the opponent. We agreed that there may be a handful of missions in tournament packs that would be difficult for that type of army to deal with (anything that needed heroes to capture and remain on objectives might be problematic for the lumineth player unless you throw in several heroes just to safe-guard losing them all to a similar type of army). That part will be a balancing act, but at least on the surface it's a "pack up early and have a few beers" type of army experience, at the extreme end of the spectrum.

Edited by Mark Williams

On 10/19/2020 at 5:57 PM, LuminethMage said:

Really like the blue together with the red aetherquartz. Are your Stoneguard going to be painted in a similar style?

Yep, the style is somewhat the same. The armor is a bit whiter, but I feel like they match up well enough.

PXL_20201021_035910120.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20201021_040110705.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

Edited by Jaidean
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 6

2 hours ago, Jaidean said:

Yep, the style is somewhat the same. The armor is a bit whiter, but I feel like they match up well enough.

PXL_20201021_035910120.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

PXL_20201021_040110705.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

Wow! The more of painted Stoneguard I see, the more I wonder why GW wasn't able to make them look better on their photos initially. I liked them from there start, but I think they'd been less controversial. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Wow! The more of painted Stoneguard I see, the more I wonder why GW wasn't able to make them look better on their photos initially. I liked them from there start, but I think they'd been less controversial. 

Agreed. The helmet especially. They look a lot smaller in real life than they do in photos.

image.png.233297d03168422324455793111b8b2a.png

Hi guys, 

I am doing a little 1500pt game day between 6 of us in a couple of weeks and I have two/three choices really.

• One list with Teclis and 2 Endless spells
  • The other with LoE, Stonemage and Spirit of the Mountain, 1 Endless Spell
  • Third potential choice LoE, Spirit of the Mountain, 5 Stoneguard and 2 Endless spells.

I know the lists are far from what you would want to be competitive, but I am using minimum buys on top of the original prelaunch box to get to 2000pts to start with.

Obviously, Teclis will make the Hero phase and casting mine against any army I am likely to face. But I am wondering whether the potential combat power of LoE and Cow would be more powerful in a 1500pt game. What would be peoples thoughts on the 2 options?

55 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

Hi guys, 

I am doing a little 1500pt game day between 6 of us in a couple of weeks and I have two/three choices really.

• Third potential choice LoE, Spirit of the Mountain, 5 Stoneguard and 2 Endless spells.

I know the lists are far from what you would want to be competitive, but I am using minimum buys on top of the original prelaunch box to get to 2000pts to start with.

Obviously, Teclis will make the Hero phase and casting mine against any army I am likely to face. But I am wondering whether the potential combat power of LoE and Cow would be more powerful in a 1500pt game. What would be peoples thoughts on the 2 options?

You need a minimum of 2 units of Sentinels for an Auralan Legion.  It looks a bit tricky to find the 140 points required.  Have you considered not taking a Battalion in favour of another unit of Wardens or Stoneguard for the points?

1 hour ago, Nubgan said:

Hi guys, 

I’d probably go with your third option. You can’t use that battalion anyway, so get the 5 Stoneguard plus the second Endless Spell. Are you only allowed one list? Otherwise would be a good opportunity to test how it goes and what you like. 

Otherwise, I mean if you take Zaitrec for the first list and put the Sanctum on the Cathallar, that could be pretty hilarious. You could use the 5 Stoneguard there too instead of the battalion, but they’d be a bit of the odd man out of course. Still 5 more bodies. 

41 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

You need a minimum of 2 units of Sentinels for an Auralan Legion.  It looks a bit tricky to find the 140 points required.  Have you considered not taking a Battalion in favour of another unit of Wardens or Stoneguard for the points?

Yeah, just reread the battalion. My bad, it was never about what I could take, its about being that guy that enjoys playing with painted models and affording that extra box of guys. Might have to drop more bodies in the Dawnriders at this rate in favour of LoE in the first list. But I think that gimps my movement bodies on the board too much. Its only a fun thing though, so really I should probably keep the cost down this close to Xmas.

image.png.22da9fb4a39424d56c133185a2e3401d.png

Well, because of my failure with the Battalion and not being able to afford that extra box in time I am having to drop the Dawnriders and twinstones and replace them with LoE and the Rune of Petrification. Its far from perfect, but it'll help me learn! Also, people are taking equally as nonsense lists.

Reasoning for Syar, because of how important that unit of Wardens are, being able to give them an extra Aetherquartz and potentially protecting them from a massive hero with Goading arrogance seemed more sensible than giving the Cathallar extra unbinds and +1 to the casts.

I'll let you all know how they do in a couple of weeks!

3 hours ago, Nubgan said:

image.png.22da9fb4a39424d56c133185a2e3401d.png

Well, because of my failure with the Battalion and not being able to afford that extra box in time I am having to drop the Dawnriders and twinstones and replace them with LoE and the Rune of Petrification. Its far from perfect, but it'll help me learn! Also, people are taking equally as nonsense lists.

Reasoning for Syar, because of how important that unit of Wardens are, being able to give them an extra Aetherquartz and potentially protecting them from a massive hero with Goading arrogance seemed more sensible than giving the Cathallar extra unbinds and +1 to the casts.

I'll let you all know how they do in a couple of weeks!

It's an interesting list for sure.  You already have more available than me and I wish you a fun tournament.  It'll be good to hear your thoughts on how they play and what you might add or change going forward.

• Like 1

Putting together my Stoneguard, really feels like there's no reason to use a Banner in a unit of 5, at Brave 7 you need to lose 2 models to even care (at which point the unit is chunked anyways), and the damage tradeoff is significant.

For that matter, it feels like you should never take the pair of Stratum Hammers on the Champion, seems like a straight downgrade against most units. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Putting together my Stoneguard, really feels like there's no reason to use a Banner in a unit of 5, at Brave 7 you need to lose 2 models to even care (at which point the unit is chunked anyways), and the damage tradeoff is significant.

For that matter, it feels like you should never take the pair of Stratum Hammers on the Champion, seems like a straight downgrade against most units. 

Agree on both points. I haven't bought my Stoneguard yet, but will be giving unit champions the same weapon as the unit and maybe a banner in a unit of 10, when it may make a difference.  If you go Iliatha, they'd be bravery 9, which could be good for an MSU build.

5 hours ago, Requizen said:

Yep! They managed for some reason to create a champion who doesn't get a +1 to hit or +1 attack and only gets a special weapon which is worse that the standard option.. they really out-did them selves on this.. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2