Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Been lurking on this thread a while, thought I'd jump in. I'm a long time High Elf player (20+ years), and I've been mainly playing with my Elves, first as a disparate order army (which wasn't particularly easy against all the powerful synergies in the other battletomes) and then as 4 Cities of Sigmar armies.

When the Lumineth were announced in January, I was excited - so much so, that I spent the next four months looking for anything I could find on them! I've got a good chunk of them painted, though these are the ones I'd call complete (awaiting some more basing stuff to finish). Though I am going to also show off my Avelenor, because I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I've also had an opportunity for a couple of games! Currently 3 for 3, but it's certainly an army that requires a lot of thought! I've played 1000pts vs Maggotkin, and 2k vs a nasty Living City CoS army with a huge amount of crossbowmen, and 2k vs Nighthaunt.

Wardens.jpg

Champion.jpg

109545579_1499229316945729_7916816859770612604_n.jpg

Avelenor.jpg

• Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 3

2 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

@El Antiguo Guardián First of all, stay safe! And thanks for putting up some Lumineth content. I have seen this format UB2 for the first time, and it’s a bit difficult to follow, but still thanks! Seems like it was a very one-sided affair, anything your opponent could have done better? 

Thank you mate!!

I´m thinking about adding some kind of tourn-marker and some written tips about each turns for the next battle reports.

About my opponent, I think that he make the mistake of think that he would start the game. The dawnriders can be desployed far away my BK and he could use Teclis more offensive trying to kill my characters.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, woolf said:

This is how they should have done Teclis. u guys think there is conversion possibility? figured the scales are probably too off..?

Screenshot_20201016-082244_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeah, I'm not feeling it. Plastic lighting looks like tree roots rather than being anything resembling electricity (the Sanctum of Amyntok endless spell has the same problem). Also, you would need to custom build the wings, and the face, and the body, and the weapon, and remove the tail and the whole mechanical parasite/minder thing from the model.

Basically you'd have to scratch-build more than half the model, and at that point you might as well just 3d-print a new model to your specifications instead of buying an expensive kit to hack apart.

I honestly think to do Teclis proud and not have him be an androgynous space being that looks like an antagonist from Reboot, you'd have to just use an entirely different model.

1 hour ago, overtninja said:

Yeah, I'm not feeling it. Plastic lighting looks like tree roots rather than being anything resembling electricity (the Sanctum of Amyntok endless spell has the same problem). Also, you would need to custom build the wings, and the face, and the body, and the weapon, and remove the tail and the whole mechanical parasite/minder thing from the model.

Basically you'd have to scratch-build more than half the model, and at that point you might as well just 3d-print a new model to your specifications instead of buying an expensive kit to hack apart.

I honestly think to do Teclis proud and not have him be an androgynous space being that looks like an antagonist from Reboot, you'd have to just use an entirely different model.

ye u migth be rigth, just trying to think of ways to improve on the current case of Magneto dressed up as a nun.. and with the proper paint scheme and accessories (staff, mirrors etc) I think you could sell the effect of God of Light and Magic with this sculpt as the base..

@woolf I personally think his actual figure which shows him not only as a powerful mage, but also the cultural leader and his power of persuasion (having a moon spirit as an ally) is more interesting than him just being just all about magical power. So, I don't think he should have had a model like the one you show. 

That said, if you put this on the right base (if it's not already), I think you might be able to make a "Teclis of Light" out of it. In the BT it says that many people think he is already a being of pure light and just materializes in aeleven form. So maybe you could change the parasite looking stuff into something where it's pure light, and make some other changes to the model. I also think it would be a lot of work, but if that model speaks to you, and you are good at this stuff - I don't think it's impossible. Height of Teclis is ca. 22cm. As long as it's on the right base and similar height, you should be fine, and it can become a cool looking model.

Have you looked at what other people did with Teclis? There are some smaller conversions, like the changing the pose to something very similar that's on the model you are showing, or putting a Harlequin face on his face, which changes the overall impression quite a lot without you having to do that much.

I personally just feel with a model like the one you are aiming for, it becomes detached from the whole story of Teclis and the Lumineth in AoS. It has none of the cultural insignia, no spirit companion, just a raw power look which isn't really what Teclis is about. But again, you might be able to pull off a really nice conversion where you can enjoy playing Teclis. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, LuminethMage said:

@Caladrath Thanks for showing your beautiful models. Really nice job on the face and skirts. Great to see another long term HE player having fun with the Lumineth. And props for sticking with your HE - I couldn't do it, just sulked and went away from the hobby. 

Really appreciate it mate! Been going for a maritime, marine feel for them - lore is they mine aetherquartz from fjords along the ymetrican coast, and live in this glistening city of towers connected by huge bridges across the fjord. Bit of a nod to the high elves of old in the seafarer aspect.

Yeah, I get that, I know a lot of people who did. Glad I stuck with them, I've managed to make some great CoS armies with them and expand them somewhat - currently working on an elven lumiarch, looks like a weird elf battle tank currently!

1 hour ago, LuminethMage said:

Really excited about news on our Underworld Warband today. Hopefully we hear a bit more about their background, looks like we are going to see all the models. 

I really want that swordmaster, very excited for this release!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Caladrath said:

Really appreciate it mate! Been going for a maritime, marine feel for them - lore is they mine aetherquartz from fjords along the ymetrican coast, and live in this glistening city of towers connected by huge bridges across the fjord. Bit of a nod to the high elves of old in the seafarer aspect.

Yeah, I get that, I know a lot of people who did. Glad I stuck with them, I've managed to make some great CoS armies with them and expand them somewhat - currently working on an elven lumiarch, looks like a weird elf battle tank currently!

I really want that swordmaster, very excited for this release!

Oh, very nice idea! There are several people here who are also connecting their Lumineth to the seafarer aspect of the HE. That’s one of the things I loved about the HE in Warhammer Fantasy, the different angles and cultures of the Kingdoms. I always loved Saphery the most, so I’m all in with you being exited about the Swordmaster (the most about the mage of course, lol). It’s great that GW has taken the same approach with the Lumineth and the 8 Great Nations. 

Please don’t forget to show us your Luminarch once it’s finished! 

So sadly not much new about the story, but the models look pretty nifty. They really went full into the calmed, meditative feeling of the Lumineth. 

Looking at the cards, the warband does also get Aetherquartz as one of their resources. 

The Mage (leader) is called Myari Lightcaller, the Stoneguard Bahannar. 

7EC178F2-E1E3-420F-8BF9-26162FA34BA9.png

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

@woolf I personally think his actual figure which shows him not only as a powerful mage, but also the cultural leader and his power of persuasion (having a moon spirit as an ally) is more interesting than him just being just all about magical power. So, I don't think he should have had a model like the one you show. 

That said, if you put this on the right base (if it's not already), I think you might be able to make a "Teclis of Light" out of it. In the BT it says that many people think he is already a being of pure light and just materializes in aeleven form. So maybe you could change the parasite looking stuff into something where it's pure light, and make some other changes to the model. I also think it would be a lot of work, but if that model speaks to you, and you are good at this stuff - I don't think it's impossible. Height of Teclis is ca. 22cm. As long as it's on the right base and similar height, you should be fine, and it can become a cool looking model.

Have you looked at what other people did with Teclis? There are some smaller conversions, like the changing the pose to something very similar that's on the model you are showing, or putting a Harlequin face on his face, which changes the overall impression quite a lot without you having to do that much.

I personally just feel with a model like the one you are aiming for, it becomes detached from the whole story of Teclis and the Lumineth in AoS. It has none of the cultural insignia, no spirit companion, just a raw power look which isn't really what Teclis is about. But again, you might be able to pull off a really nice conversion where you can enjoy playing Teclis. 

thx good and thought through comments, appreciated. haven't looked much tbh and really I just saw this void dragon model on the wh community page and thought it to be pretty cool.

my previous ideas about teclis has mainly been on reposing him, eg raising a leg + turning arms downward, ie more like the nice looking art picture (you know which one). although that seemed pretty difficult as would need to cut the model up and greenstuff new joints for it...

cheers

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Envyus said:

They symbol on top of the Swordmaster's banner is the River Temple one right. 

It looks like it's the river symbol but upside down.  Although it may not matter which way the river is flowing, I  suppose.

Edited by Aelfric
  • Haha 1

warcry Elf models got stupid hair but thats easely fixed, the positions i would have to make better bases so that it makes more sense to stand in that way for the mage and archer.

Swordmaster: holding blade wrong (unless she a lefty) and an ok static pose.

Mage: looking grumpy AF(which is ok), stupid balance position which would be acceptable if he was balancing on something magical instead of regular large rock. Better if he had a cool atacking/commanding stance instead.

Cow Elf: Extremely static pose and holding the hammer somewhat weird instead of a good defensive position. Overall seems fine.

archer: just fired a shot, the pose itself if it wasnt for the legs would have been good. Again no reason to stand like that; aside that GW wanted to use stupid large round rock bases and for some reason want the elfs to balance themselves in a silly way.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

It looks like it's the river symbol but upside down.  Although it may not matter which way the river is flowing, I  suppose.

I think it is our old High Elf Rune Tavlu
grafik.png.576255829fd1a04575b8ad2c85cf025a.png
I am really happy with the models! They also have little backpacks and travelling gear, this is neat. The Swordfighter is one of my favorite models now. 🥰

Hmm - I don't mind the silly balancing, it's part of their charm for me. Elfs who overcomplicate things in a haughty and silly way is just a thing that has always drawn me to them. Firing an Arrow in midair while jumping? No problem.
They are a race that can afford to show off :P

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

21 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I am really happy with the models! They also have little backpacks and travelling gear, this is neat. The Swordfighter is one of my favorite models now. 🥰

Hmm - I don't mind the silly balancing, it's part of their charm for me. Elfs who overcomplicate things in a haughty and silly way is just a thing that has always drawn me to them. Firing an Arrow in midair while jumping? No problem.

It is : ). Also fits with the tower symbol on her chest plate and the back banner. I really hope we get a bite more information on her to see if this is a new Tower of Hoeth style of place, or if even the original one survived somehow. She seems to have the same role as the previous Swordmasters of Hoeth: Guard the mages. 

And yeah, 100% agreed, why fire an arrow and hit your mark, if you can balance on your toes and still hit? Not enough panache. When you have 100s of years to perfect your art, you don’t stop at the practical stage. That’s for children : ) . For humans her stance might look as if she is overdoing it, but another elf might think, “pfft such a beginner move, still has to stand on both of her legs to do this. Give her another 300 and she’ll do good”.

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 3

I just read @Athrawes post in the Rumour Thread and that's so cool what you described about the Tower of Hoeth being set up to outlast the Aelves and be an Archive which survives even a World Ending. Never heard of that but damn.  Such cool lore 😄 And I would be totally down on for example a Unit of 5 new Swordmasters. Right up my alley, the perfect blend of Tyrionic and Teclian Philosophy.
Next to Tavlu we also have these Runes:
Sword top to bottom:

grafik.png.3e3db666c359418957e194170a8c03e4.png
grafik.png.28040fa0df60a06c435244904256ec36.png
grafik.png.f803ff3be98a629e97d4390dcb759313.pnggrafik.png.11cbdfc6c7c5e7f382951170eb25822f.png 
Or could be something other than "Skale"?
I was totally expecting a River-Swordwoman and now I am a bit over the Moon (what a bad pun for a Zaitreci....) for a reimagining of Swordmasters!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Do you think it's possible that the Tower of Hoeth and the Spire of Dawn are one and the same?

• Like 1

@Aloth_Corfiser Looks like Skale, and the meaning also fits. : ) 

I really hope they pick up on this in the background lore. For me that’s the most exciting part now of the whole release lol. Second is the possibility of Myari being a Zenith mage. As he is called Lightcaller, he emits dazzling light according to one of the cards, and the owl would also be a fitting symbolic animal for Zenith. 

@Aelfric If I remember correctly, the Dawnspire was specifically built to guard the islands or something like that. I also think the tower is likely in Hysh, but who knows, as long as they provide us with more information - I’d be super happy. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Do you think it's possible that the Tower of Hoeth and the Spire of Dawn are one and the same?

That would be a really ingenious solution! I think that there is this possibility. However, since the discontinuation of Swifthawk Agents I always thought that GW woud have abandoned the Idea of the Spire of Dawn entirely or just forget about it.
If I remeber correctly the Spire was also used to guard powerful aelven Artefacts. But as usual the Lore is limited to small paragraphs in the "Spire of Dawn / Island of Blood" boxed set.   It is mentioned, I think, that the Spire of Dawn is in Hysh.
Maybe we will get more Info in the coming Broken Realms Story Arch: Just like the Stormvaults of Sigmar, Teclis could have set up his own hidden magical Sites. We still need to see the Twins reaction to Sigmar repurposing the Enlightenment Engines do we? So far we only know that Teclis is annoyed - and rightfully so. However I could Imagine special missions by Lumineth Mages and "new Swordmasters" to rescue the Enlightenment Engines in the Stormvaults or to magically alter them, etc. So we would have another Story about how the Lumineth interact with the other Realms and a reason for them to leave Hysh.

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
bad grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

That would be a really ingenious solution! I think that there is this possibility. However, since the discontinuation of Swifthawk Agents I always thought that GW woud have abandoned the Idea of the Spire of Dawn entirely or just forget about it.
If I remeber correctly the Spire was also used to guard powerful aelven Artefacts. But as usual the Lore is limited to small paragraphs in the "Spire of Dawn / Island of Blood" boxed set.   It is mentioned, I think, that the Spire of Dawn is in Hysh.
Maybe we will get more Info in the coming Broken Realms Story Arch: Just like the Stormvaults of Sigmar, Teclis could have set up his own hidden magical Sites. We still need to see the Twins reaction to Sigmar repurposing the Enlightenment Engines do we? So far we only know that Teclis is annoyed - and rightfully so. However I could Imagine special missions by Lumineth Mages and "new Swordmasters" to rescue the Enlightenment Engines in the Stormvaults or to magically alter them, etc. So we would have another Story about how the Lumineth interact with the other Realms and a reason for them to leave Hysh.

Just another thought, but if the Tower of Hoeth did survive the destruction of the Old World then the librarians, guardians and servants inside at the time ought to have survived as well.  As you say, The Broken Realms may shed more light on it.  It's hard to believe they picked the runes for the Swordmistress at random.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2020 at 10:47 AM, LuminethMage said:

Oh, very nice idea! There are several people here who are also connecting their Lumineth to the seafarer aspect of the HE. That’s one of the things I loved about the HE in Warhammer Fantasy, the different angles and cultures of the Kingdoms. I always loved Saphery the most, so I’m all in with you being exited about the Swordmaster (the most about the mage of course, lol). It’s great that GW has taken the same approach with the Lumineth and the 8 Great Nations. 

Please don’t forget to show us your Luminarch once it’s finished! 

@LuminethMage There's so much history there, it feels a shame not to use it! I was always a Caledor/Shadowlands guy myself, though I did recently finish 30 Swordmasters, so that's probably why this release is exciting me.

Sneak peak of the Luminarch:

18 hours ago, Gobboz said:

Absolutely love this! How did you 

do the white armour?

@Gobboz Thanks! It's fairly simple, Grey Seer undercoat, really thin Dryad Bark in the pattern recesses, followed by grey seer to tidy up, then drybrushes of Ulthuan Grey and White Scar.

Lumiark.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1