Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

11 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Welcome (hopefully) to the light! : ) 

The spears are that long. Fitting for their 3 inch range : ) . They look awesome in ranks. 

There is no old Celennar version, it's a new character (if I understood your question correctly). There are several great conversions using the old Teclis models though. for example this here by @Eldarain

IMG_20200825_150803.jpg.483ba5682e2358b31783316dd73d7a56.jpg

Wow, is that a real crystal with lighting?  That's inspiring!  Me thinks I feel a twitch of luminescence welling up inside.

@Gecktron love those Stoneguard conversions. @LuminethMage thanks for the shout. The reaction here to my creation has been so nice to see. Great community. @Lord KrungharrKrungharr It is a real crystal with my first attempt at LED lighting. I thought it a fitting way he'd fly around and it probably came from the Isle of the Dead Aenarion vs N'Kari art that I have on my lock screen.

I actually walked around with the piece of Warcry terrain he's standing on in my pocket to check sizing against things while browsing at stores(back when the world worked like that) found it at an eastern spirituality focused shop fittingly.

Another look at him:

IMG_20200908_215016~2.jpg

Edited by Eldarain
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

Holy Jebus.... finally finished ONE of my Dawnriders.... Getting it together at the end was... frustrating to say the least.  For the collective:

-Do yall build and paint them in sub assemblies?

-If so, how easy/hard was the final build?  For me getting the reigns/hand to stay put was maddening.  His body and legs were ok, but luckily the armor covers up the minor gaps.  I just hope the shield fits... lol :( 

-If not, how do you find the painting?  Im not that steady yet, so I err on the side of sub's to make sure I don't have to keep painting and repainting the same area.  (Watching videos like the Duncan Rhodes ones sometimes make me want to cut off my hands... How does he get in there?!?!)

-Should I add a skull to the Lava Base?  lol... keep forgetting that I have them.  

Dawnrider Left.JPG

Dawnrider Right.JPG

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 4

I don’t subassemble mine, besides leaving the shields off. I think the only thing I’d do differently is also keep them off the base, and may try to take mine off, getting underneath is a real pain with the base getting in the way.

I have a pretty mighty hand tremor, but the best ways to keep steady enough I find is to use a painting handle, keep a LOT of points of contact on the model, and lean back in a good chair with your elbows against your chest.

The Dawnriders just seem awkward in general to paint, I found the one I’ve done so far pretty fiddly while assembled, the shield being off definitely helped though. The parts that were hardest to get to while assembled, I found, were the seat the rider is sitting on (including the inside of the back rest), and the belly/legs/inside of the cloth on the horse.

• Like 2

@Wyliekyote Most of us find the Dawnrider difficult to paint. I also read on the Lumineth FB page that several people had problems with the assembly, and I messed one up myself, which I had to add green stuff to the reigns, because I didn't see at the time they weren't actually attached to his hand, duh. 

Like Tiberius, I just kept the shield separated, and found exactly the same zones problematic (back rest etc.) as well as the seam lines again. for the first model I must have gone back ten times back and forth grey, magenta, grey, magenta, grey, magenta .... It get's better after the first one though. I have 4 down now, working on the 5th and the last two weren't as bad anymore. If you go back a few pages though, you can see that a lot of people are sub-assembling them. 

Your result looks great, so it's worth the effort! I'm on the older side of things, so my hands aren't the steadiest either. Tiberius advice is good, I do mostly the same, and otherwise it's just going back and forth until I'm satisfied with the result. 

Adding a skull or not, is 100% up to you and what story you want to tell with your base : ) . A charred skull could look great, but it's not necessary. You have a good contrast between your base and your model now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So finally got a look at the Battletome, and thoughts are mixed.  Some of it is really well done, and some of it seems to disregard Teclis' earlier fluff.

Would have liked to see more on:

1. The relationship between the Lummineth and Idoneth.  How do they see each other?  Why are the Idoneth the only ones who are allies to the Lummineth.

2. In the Idoneth battle tome it talks about Teclis teaching them about the old Elven gods and looking for their return.  By the time of the Lummineth he seems to have abandoned this without explanation.

3. Relationship with Allarielle, I mean Teclis did have a hand in her daughter being destroyed but no mention of her.  This possibly could be overlooked based on the fact it would probably be more of Tyrion's story, but still surprised at no mention.

4. Nothing about the storm vaults, especially after the huff Teclis made in the Forbidden power fluff.

That said, I still enjoyed the book and liked the spin it gave on the Lummineth.  I did like the bit that Tyrion is the one who was reluctant to push is armies out for fear of upsetting the other forces of Order.

I would also like to see something expanded about the relationship between the Idoneth and Tyrion, as he was ultimately their saviour.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Yeah the battletome is really flawed when it comes to the Lumineth relationship with others. 

My question is about the Phoenix Temple. They come from Hysh. Were they created by the Twins or not? Why arent they part of the Lumineth Forces? Why not allies?

Yep, was really surprised that one of the nations didn't have  the 1 in 4 rule to include them

1 hour ago, Marius au said:

Yep, was really surprised that one of the nations didn't have  the 1 in 4 rule to include them

Phoenix Temple are a warrior caste not mage, so would be more likely to connect with Tyrion.  We may see that rule when/if the second half  (Tyrionic nations) of Lumineth drop.  I'm erring on the side of when, but it could be a while.

• Like 1

Finished the Wardens today, they were so much less painful to paint after doing the Dawnriders and working out tricks to getting it done faster.

186966435_LRLWardens.jpg.1930ba3d839bc1b425ce2b3e869f0462.jpg

So that makes the starter done! I should have a Cathallar, 10 more Wardens and 5 more Dawnriders in the next couple of days which will let me scrape a 1k list together so I can play some games while I work on getting the other models I want for my actual list (I hate the Australia Tax GW imposes on us).

500934389_LRlStarter.jpg.b6d8b4a9ed38149d7fc53d44cfb7285c.jpg

Edited by ObsidianCrane
  • Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, Marius au said:

2. In the Idoneth battle tome it talks about Teclis teaching them about the old Elven gods and looking for their return.  By the time of the Lummineth he seems to have abandoned this without explanation.

3. Relationship with Allarielle, I mean Teclis did have a hand in her daughter being destroyed but no mention of her.  This possibly could be overlooked based on the fact it would probably be more of Tyrion's story, but still surprised at no mention.

2. The most likely explanation is that all this stuff was abandoned with the reinvention. The Battletome talks about how this event reformed all of Lumineth Society. 

3. I think Alarielle cares very little about events that happened in the world that was. There are aeons separating these two times and Alarielle has made it clear repeatedly that she only really cares about the Sylvaneth and Ghyran. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wyliekyote said:

Holy Jebus.... finally finished ONE of my Dawnriders.... Getting it together at the end was... frustrating to say the least.  For the collective:

-If so, how easy/hard was the final build?  For me getting the reigns/hand to stay put was maddening.  His body and legs were ok, but luckily the armor covers up the minor gaps.  I just hope the shield fits... lol :( 

-If not, how do you find the painting?  Im not that steady yet, so I err on the side of sub's to make sure I don't have to keep painting and repainting the same area.  (Watching videos like the Duncan Rhodes ones sometimes make me want to cut off my hands... How does he get in there?!?!)

-Should I add a skull to the Lava Base?  lol... keep forgetting that I have them.  

Dawnrider Left.JPG

Dawnrider Right.JPG

Yup, the painting and assembly of the Dawnriders is nightmarish - so much so that I'm probably stopping at my initial 5, even though I've had a lot of lists in mind that would have included 10. They're that bad.

For my part, I've done mine in sub-assemblies - horses alone, then the riders, then the shield as separate components. For the riders, I've tried doing them with one leg attached and one leg detached, or with both legs detached (the way they're designed means you can't attach both legs before putting them on the horses, unless you file down the notches they've positioned where the legs should meet the saddle).

Whichever way you do it, it's rough. Attaching the riders in the saddle tends to leave gaps between the legs and pelvis, and depending on how you've positioned the arms you inevitably run into issues aligning the reins with the tassels and the bit with the horse's mouth (possibly snapping off the reins from the rider's hand in the process). Also, you need to be careful how you position the arm holding the banner on the banner bearer - I thought I had mine perfectly positioned, but when final assembly came it turned out I had it tilted slightly, making it impossible to attach the right leg, and forcing me to remove the arm and re-position it.

I've still got 2 to go, so the verdict is still out, but I'm honestly coming around to just painting the damn things fully assembled. There'll be more gaps and areas where the paint job is a bit rough, but trying to assemble them after they're fully painted is just maddening. If anyone's got any tips or tricks they've come up with to make the process easier, please let me know. I'm doing my Eltharion right now just to take a breather from fiddling with horses, because I was growing concerned for my own sanity 🤬

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, l1censetochill said:

Yup, the painting and assembly of the Dawnriders is nightmarish - so much so that I'm probably stopping at my initial 5, even though I've had a lot of lists in mind that would have included 10. They're that bad.

For my part, I've done mine in sub-assemblies - horses alone, then the riders, then the shield as separate components. For the riders, I've tried doing them with one leg attached and one leg detached, or with both legs detached (the way they're designed means you can't attach both legs before putting them on the horses, unless you file down the notches they've positioned where the legs should meet the saddle).

Whichever way you do it, it's rough. Attaching the riders in the saddle tends to leave gaps between the legs and pelvis, and depending on how you've positioned the arms you inevitably run into issues aligning the reins with the tassels and the bit with the horse's mouth (possibly snapping off the reins from the rider's hand in the process). Also, you need to be careful how you position the arm holding the banner on the banner bearer - I thought I had mine perfectly positioned, but when final assembly came it turned out I had it tilted slightly, making it impossible to attach the right leg, and forcing me to remove the arm and re-position it.

I've still got 2 to go, so the verdict is still out, but I'm honestly coming around to just painting the damn things fully assembled. There'll be more gaps and areas where the paint job is a bit rough, but trying to assemble them after they're fully painted is just maddening. If anyone's got any tips or tricks they've come up with to make the process easier, please let me know. I'm doing my Eltharion right now just to take a breather from fiddling with horses, because I was growing concerned for my own sanity 🤬

I've done the same but with  fully assembled legs, and I'm paying for it now. I did a dry fit pre paint, and everything slid into place ok, with a little flex and convincing, but the paint on each component has been enough just to really ruin that approach.
I had a failure with a leg joint and some damage on my second rider, and needed a little putty to fill the split from forcing it too much - it was very silly and I'm not happy with myself at all.  Luckily its the rider with the low spear, so some sanding and correct colour should hide it well enough under his elbow. 

I'm in a little deep now, and think ill need to cut the notches off of the horses capes to get the riders to sit down so their feet are at the correct height - not so concerned about them sitting off the saddle a little, as I think its smore important to have their feet at the correct spot - but still , wind is out of my sails for sure.

Waah

22 hours ago, Wyliekyote said:

I assembled except for the shields.

I lay down the armour's main colour with an airbrush - so that part is quite fast. It was figuring out how to do the edging and runes that slowed my progress down.

When you are painting do you focus on using the point of the brush or do you also use the side of it? Using the side makes a lot of those decorative elements much easier to paint. Picking out details like the gems (I'd suggest green for your scheme) also goes a long way to pushing the models up a degree without taking a lot of time (shadow over whole gem, midtone over bottom half, highlight the very bottom, put a single tiny pure white dot on the highest point - its fast and adds a lot).

My main time saver was "paint for the table", so I didn't worry too much about being "perfect" as I painted. So if you go over individual models carefully you find mistakes and areas where things could be better - but put 5-10 of them on the table 2-3 feet away and they look great. That said they still took a while to paint, but that is the nature of the beast with so many colours happening on a model.

If you paint the main colour of the fabric, then base colour (even if it is the pure white you have now) of the edging, patch up in splash over, then wash the whole fabric bit including the trim with the shadow for the main colour, then come back and highlight the trim. This will make patching any splash over easier as you'll mostly be restoring base colour to the main fabric area. Then highlight the blue and done.

Finally - be sparing with skulls, they're "good" elves not Chaos or Destruction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, overtninja said:

@ThalmorRepresentative That's a very attractive paint scheme, well executed! I like the color on the sunmetal weapons, I had imagined them as a kind of shiny bronze color also

Thanks @overtninja ! It's actually more of a magenta / reddish color 😁, but I see the light makes it look bronze.

• Like 1

Maybe a stupid Question: What do you all use for skin colour? And when I am already asking this: What type of shade(s) if any do you use for faces?
I know it is not that important on our regal hyshian Aelves (Teclis be praised they actually wear clothing compared to other Aelves!) - however, I was always struggling with faces and have gotten mixed results.

6 hours ago, ObsidianCrane said:

Finally - be sparing with skulls, they're "good" elves not Chaos or Destruction.

However that would depend on what you would like to represent: In my humble opinion it can be really fitting if your Bases represent a "foreign" enviroment, a difficult terrain where your Army is not welcome and so on. :)

6 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Maybe a stupid Question: What do you all use for skin colour? And when I am already asking this: What type of shade(s) if any do you use for faces?
I know it is not that important on our regal hyshian Aelves (Teclis be praised they actually wear clothing compared to other Aelves!) - however, I was always struggling with faces and have gotten mixed results.

However that would depend on what you would like to represent: In my humble opinion it can be really fitting if your Bases represent a "foreign" enviroment, a difficult terrain where your Army is not welcome and so on. :)

I had a bit of the same problem when I used the BT scheme at first, turned out to be a bit too dark for what I wanted. In the end -> Base: Kislev, Shade: Guilliman + Contrast, Highlight: Flayed One works for me.  I use the shade sparingly though, so my flesh colour is not that accented.

But, if you really want to get into it, have a look at this here: 

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-human-skin/ 

I hope that helps! 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I have 3 games with Lumineth army. I want to share what happen... First of all I am totaly sure that I forgot some rules or done some mistakes. This army has a lot of rules stuff going on the table.

First two games was with this list: Ilithia Nation Teclis, Cathallar (general, ethereal blessing,simucra amulet), 2x10 Sentinels. 2x20 WArdens, Auralan Legion, Twinstones and spellportal.

First game vc goblins a lot of squigs, two mangles. I had first round, killed one mangler and wounded small heroes and also kill some models. Really powerful to use Teclis with spellportal in first round. Oponent did not roll any charge and did almost nothing in first round. In second I won the rolloff and killed all small heroes and also second mangler. In this case it wat win for me because we played scenarion where just heroes can score points.

Second game was against OBR - staliarch. To be honest I dont remember it well, he was able to charge me in first round a there was no way to do anythink...

Third game I change a list because  Ican feel that lack of mobility is my main problem.  Ilithia Nation Teclis, Cathallar (general, ethereal blessing,simucra amulet), 2x10 Sentinels. 2x10 Wardens,10 Dawnriders, 10 Soneguard, Auralan Legion, Twinstones and spellportal.

I played against Fireslayers, whitch is really bad matchup for Lumineth force. I took firs round killed two small heroes, took points and also made one big mistake with charging my horses to vulkite berserkers. I did it on purpuse to see them what they can do. It was my suprise that i killed 9 of them a he just killed two horses. In third round he won a rolloff and goes first. I forgot about spell from cathallar on heardguard unit and he was able to charge me and attack me... It was fun game and at last i saw them in combat. I am not really happy with stoneguard without big cow... I want use them anymore.

Tomorrow I will have next game and I will change a list again. I want to try   Ilithia Nation Teclis, Cathallar (general, ethereal blessing,simucra amulet), 2x20 Sentinels. 2x10 Wardens,10 Dawnriders,  geminids and spellportal.

At the end of the week we have tournament so we will see :) 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 10:57 AM, ObsidianCrane said:

Finished the Wardens today, they were so much less painful to paint after doing the Dawnriders and working out tricks to getting it done faster.

186966435_LRLWardens.jpg.1930ba3d839bc1b425ce2b3e869f0462.jpg

So that makes the starter done! I should have a Cathallar, 10 more Wardens and 5 more Dawnriders in the next couple of days which will let me scrape a 1k list together so I can play some games while I work on getting the other models I want for my actual list (I hate the Australia Tax GW imposes on us).

500934389_LRlStarter.jpg.b6d8b4a9ed38149d7fc53d44cfb7285c.jpg

Truly magnificent!

edit: care to share the colors used? :)

Edited by JackStreicher